HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The 2010 AAA Draft (rosters, picks, discussion, etc.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2010, 12:47 PM
  #251
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,864
vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Am I the only one that's finding that there's a significant lack of quality wingers available at this point, but a whole lot of centers?
I'm having to look hard to come up with anything at this point. Not to say that I haven't, it's just taking one hell of a search to find it.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:13 PM
  #252
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,158
vCash: 500
Toledo selects RW Pentti Lund



1949 Calder Trophy Winner

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
In 1947-48, he graduated to the AHL where he skated for the Hershey Bears. He put up very solid numbers over the course of the regular season and was rewarded with an appearance in two Boston Bruin playoff games. During the off-season, however, Lund was traded to the New York Rangers. There, he got his NHL career off to a great start by winning the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie on the strength of his 30 points in 59 games and thus becoming the first Finnish-born player to score a goal in the NHL.

In his second Ranger campaign, he saved his best for the playoffs, pumping home a remarkable six goals and five assists in 12 matches. Lund stayed on with the Rangers through the end of the 1950-51 campaign. His offensive numbers slipped, however, and, as a result, he was traded back to Boston.

As a Bruin again, the most defining moment of his career occurred early in the 1951-52 season. Some suggest that the superstitiously prone number 13 played a role. The date was November 13 and it was the 13th game of the season for the Bruins. On that night, he and his mates went up against the Chicago Blackhawks.

A Hawk blueliner had a habit of clearing his zone by backhanding the puck with a strong upward motion. Lund came over the blueline and got too close to ____'s stick, catching the blade in the right eye. The blow was so severe he lost almost all of his sight on the right side. He was sidelined for three months, but, remarkably, he staged a comeback to complete the season. He also made the team for the following year and managed to pot 17 points with only one eye.

Stan Fischler's Sweet 16 MetroArea Most Underrated
Quote:
und patrolled his wing with little fuss or fanfare until he got within shooting range of the net where upon his dynamic wrist shot came into play.

As a rookie with the Rangers, Lund earned the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie in 1948-49 collecting 14 goals and 16 assists.

“Getting Pentti was one of the best moves that I had ever made,” said Boucher. “He was a ‘player’s player,’ well liked by all.”

All, that is, except Maurice (The Rocket) Richard on the 1949-50 Montreal Canadians.

Heavily-favored to defeat the Rangers in the opening round, the Habs counted on Rocket Richard for their primary offense.

“I figured that Lund, a big man that was defensively-responsible, would be the ideal man to check the Rocket,” Boucher recalled. “That’s all I wanted but never expect what I got.”

What Boucher and the Rangers got was an extraordinary offensive output from Lund, who guided the Rangers to a five-game upset victory over Montreal. He limited Richard to a single goal in five games while Lund recorded a three goal hat trick in Game Three of the series.

Incredibly, Lund finished the playoffs as the leading scorer with six goals and five assists. Unfortunately, the Rangers lost the Stanley Cup Finals in double overtime in Game Seven against the Detroit Red Wings.


Last edited by Hedberg: 10-16-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:53 PM
  #253
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Roy could have an off game, Vernon could have a bad game but Potvin wrote the book on stinking up the joint. The Cat was loved and hated.


Exactly. He knew how to be gosh darn the worst goalie you have ever seen in the NHL. He was a rich man's version of another goalie who spent time as a Vancouver Canuck (shall remain unnamed because undrafted but no one will ever draft that guy hopefully).
Nonsense! Is this based in fact, or is it a sensationalization of you own recollections as a Vancouver fan?

If a goalie's having a bad game, he tends to get pulled. So why don't we take a look at the last 7 goalies selected whose careers overlapped Potvin's, and see how often he got pulled compared to them. Surely a guy who "wrote the book on stinking up the joint" would get yanked regularly.

This goes all the way back to the Bill Ranford selection in round 4 of the MLD:

Name yanks GP yank%
puppa 54 445 12.1%
ranford 78 700 11.1%
irbe 57 613 9.3%
burke 74 858 8.6%
nabokov 51 643 7.9%
potvin 54 727 7.4%
vokoun 42 589 7.1%
turco 33 559 5.9%

source: Dr. No's www.hockeygoalies.org, counted games where "replaced by" was stated, and this includes all regular season and playoff games. Games when replaced twice were only counted as replaced once.

Doesn't look too bad, does he?

Now, let's see if there is a source for your Potvin frustration:

Name yanks GP yank%
potvin VAN 10 69 14.5%
potvin nonVAN 44 673 6.5%

Aha! there it is.

Potvin was pulled over twice as often in Vancouver, as he was in the rest of his career. No wonder you say such things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
[img]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/thumb/d/de/Sergei_Starikov.jpg/230px-Sergei_Starikov.jpg[/img]

Queen's University selects defenseman Sergei Starikov, the 10-year veteran of the Soviet national team, playing in 186 international contests starting in 1979 when he was Vasiliev's partner on the top pairing in the USSR's victorious best-of-three series win over the NHL's stars in the Challenge Cup. That same year he scored 4 points in 4 games against NHL clubs as a member of the Soviet Wings club in the Super Series. He scored 7 points in 7 games in the 1980 Olympics. He scored 3 assists in the 1984 Canada Cup. He scored 4 goals in the 1987 world championships. He also scored points in the 1984 and 1988 Olympics, 1983 and 1989 Super Series, and in Rendez'Vous '87. All this despite being described as a stay-at-home defender. He is 10th in all-time games for a defenseman on the national team. In addition to his play against the world's best, he was a regular on the blueline in 9 Soviet league championships for the vaulted Red Army team.
He played in 75 international games that mattered - still impressive.

Question about what type of defenseman he was, though.

Internationally, he has 38 points in those 75 games. For the majority of his international career, he was obviously a third-pairing defenseman behind Fetisov/Kasatonov and Pervukin/Bilyaletdinov. But he outscored the last two badly:

Bilyaletdinov: 28/100
Pervukhin: 33/121

So, if he played on the third pairing and outscored those guys, are you sure he was a stay at home player? He sounds like more of an offensive specialist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni Mania View Post
The Tigers draft Dale McCourt.



* Averaged 30 goals per season over his first five NHL seasons (33, 28, 30, 30, 33)
* Averaged nearly a point per game his years in Detroit (337 points in 341 games)
* 1976 Memorial Cup MVP, 1977 CHL Player of the Year, 1977 IIHF WJC Best Forward
WTF? I can't believe you took McCourt. This guy hasn't been drafted, or even mentioned before. But I think he's been badly overlooked.

This guy was Detroit's Mr. Everything for five good seasons. He was their best player, possibly in all three situations. He killed a ton of penalties.

And I was saving this little tidbit for when I drafted him as a spare, which obviously isn't happening now:

Most 22+ minute, 40+ game seasons, forwards:

Gretzky 15
Messier 12
Lemieux 11
Sakic 11
Yzerman 10
Oates 10
Esposito 8
Brindamour 8
Lindros 7
Gilmour 6
Kariya 6
Jagr 6
Bure 6
Dionne 5
Modano 5
Lafontaine 5
Hull 5
Selanne 4
Kovalev 4
Fleury 4
Francis 4
McCourt 3
Clarke 3
Forsberg 3
Straka 3
Palffy 3
Paiement 3
Mikita 3
Larmer 3
Kurri 3
Amonte 3


Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
I really disagree with your selection, to be honest. TDMM and I also went over the same guys we talked about and we are collectively smarter than you.
LOL - TDMM is smarter than me on his own, he doesn't need you! And there have been 9 goalies selected since you took Bouchard as your MLD backup, so who cares if you liked Potvin back then or not?

You and I talked about available goalies already. You know the kind of guys I started looking at. Potvin's resume is better than theirs overall. Once I added up all the factors I was looking for, he was easily the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Top-6 wingers, yeah. And quality offensive defensemen.

Tons of quality Bottom-6 wingers available though. And there are always a lot of quality centers and defensive defensemen.
I have found the same thing.

Perhaps our standards of what constitutes a "top-6 winger" has to change by the time we're 1200 picks in?

For example, I would generally tend to think of Scott Mellanby as a bottom-6 player, but 850 career points is the highest total of any player in this draft, if I'm not mistaken, and seven 50+ point seasons has to put him top-8 in that regard as well. If he's one of the most offensively-established players here, then he can go on a top line.

I could put him on a 4th because he's good at that game, and grab a guy whose offense is less-established, but whose primary skill was offense, but to me, that would be akin to putting Bill Cook on an ATD 4th line to make room for Peter Bondra because Bondra is "more of a scorer"

anyway, yeah, I feel your pain, guys, we are all "settling" for wingers right now. My selection of Golikov was based on the embarrassing lack of scoring RWs out there as well as the fact that I thought VI would be after him. (not sure why he thinks his brother is better, unless getting into a few more international games makes him better!)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:38 PM
  #254
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Then maybe you're looking for the wrong thing.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:46 PM
  #255
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Then maybe you're looking for the wrong thing.
I was looking for goalies with a lot of NHL experience including in the playoffs, stopped a high percentage of shots compared to their contemporaries, and earned recognition for the Vezina at some point.

Why, what do you look for in goalies?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:48 PM
  #256
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,718
vCash: 500
Dustin Brown, RW

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:13 PM
  #257
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I was looking for goalies with a lot of NHL experience including in the playoffs, stopped a high percentage of shots compared to their contemporaries, and earned recognition for the Vezina at some point.

Why, what do you look for in goalies?
Slender but strong legs and a nice, clean haircut.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:23 PM
  #258
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
Slender but strong legs and a nice, clean haircut.
check, and check.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:55 PM
  #259
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
My selection of Golikov was based on the embarrassing lack of scoring RWs out there as well as the fact that I thought VI would be after him. (not sure why he thinks his brother is better, unless getting into a few more international games makes him better!)
Vladimir is a two-way center with big game international peak performances while his brother is a more offensive-oriented winger successful in the Soviet league. We'll have the 'who's better' conversation later. I wasn't going to draft him because my Golden Gaels already has on right wing: Colville, Dahlen, Larochelle and there's a specific skillset sought for the open 4th line right wing slot.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:51 PM
  #260
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord
Perhaps our standards of what constitutes a "top-6 winger" has to change by the time we're 1200 picks in?

For example, I would generally tend to think of Scott Mellanby as a bottom-6 player, but 850 career points is the highest total of any player in this draft, if I'm not mistaken, and seven 50+ point seasons has to put him top-8 in that regard as well. If he's one of the most offensively-established players here, then he can go on a top line.

I could put him on a 4th because he's good at that game, and grab a guy whose offense is less-established, but whose primary skill was offense, but to me, that would be akin to putting Bill Cook on an ATD 4th line to make room for Peter Bondra because Bondra is "more of a scorer"
Interesting point! When you put Mellanby in your line-up I thought it was just another Drury-on-all-time-top-6? but it may be more than that, given your reasoning.

Libett, Mickoski, and Brunette are also ideally all-time context Bottom-6 wingers. There aren't many bona fide all-time Top-6 wingers in this draft, but among them: Bruneteau, Colville, Murray, Milks, Green and Lukowich.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:54 PM
  #261
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Interesting point! When you put Mellanby in your line-up I thought it was just another Drury-on-all-time-top-6? but it may be more than that, given your reasoning.
Hehe, I had the same exact thought when he said he wanted to put Mellanby on the top line, right down to the Drury comparison. But now I'm stuck staring at the deplorable state of scoring line RWs, and Mellanby sure doesn't seem out of place in comparison.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:08 AM
  #262
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
I bet that if we go right back to the start of the ATD and make sure to put every "center who can play wing" on the wing, then we would not be in this predicament by now. There would be probably 70 wingers available that currently aren't, and we'd have snuck in more players that deserved an ATD/MLD spot.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:13 AM
  #263
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
As for Drury, it seems no one gives a damn about intangibles in the MLD on a top-6. Anyone who is elite (from an MLD standpoint) offensively and has leadership, toughness, and physicality to boot, simply isn't available by the time you get to the MLD. If you want guys like that (and I think you should), then you are going to have to sacrifice some offense on that selection. Otherwise you draft your top-6 based solely on offense, and you don't have a puckwinner or defensive presence, or if you're lucky you have one.

Besides, his offense and the offense of a few other (according to canon) elite MLD 1st liners like Hextall and Richer, were practically even, so perhaps the problem is in how he is perceived.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:14 AM
  #264
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,920
vCash: 500
Drury has been best OFF of the top line, in a secondary role, as the 4th or 5th offensive player on a team, a guy who supports and comes through in the clutch. Thrust him onto the front stage and expect him to be The Man, and he doesn't get it done. He's a 4th liner ideally in the MLD imo. Definitely NOT a first liner. Note: I drafted 3rd liners early in the MLD because I thought them more ATD worthy (eg., Keane). Hell, I got Reay after you drafted Drury, and Reay has more Top-6 cred in the intangibles dep't. I liked Gallant, Keeling and Kisio as 2nd line worthy in the MLD. I just didn't see Drury - who I liked - as a Top-6 guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I bet that if we go right back to the start of the ATD and make sure to put every "center who can play wing" on the wing, then we would not be in this predicament by now. There would be probably 70 wingers available that currently aren't, and we'd have snuck in more players that deserved an ATD/MLD spot.
But thankfully we don't. Because it's best to play a player where they played best.


Last edited by VanIslander: 10-17-2010 at 01:25 AM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:24 AM
  #265
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Drury has been best OFF of the top line, in a secondary role, as the 4th or 5th offensive player on a team, a guy who supports and comes through in the clutch. Thrust him onto the front stage and expect him to be The Man, and he doesn't get it done. He's a 4th liner ideally in the MLD imo. Definitely NOT a first liner.
I certainly didn't expect him to be The Man. He was on the first line, yes, but I would call him the 7th offensive forward on my MLD team, after Jordan, Hergesheimer, Arnott, Kozlov, Gardner, and Warwick.


Quote:
But thankfully we don't. Because it's best to play a player where they played best.
I know... just sayin'.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:32 AM
  #266
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I certainly didn't expect him to be The Man. He was on the first line, yes, but I would call him the 7th offensive forward on my MLD team, after Jordan, Hergesheimer, Arnott, Kozlov, Gardner, and Warwick.
The surprise was that you drafted Drury early (your 3rd forward), ahead of all the forwards you mention except Jordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe
Hehe, I had the same exact thought when he said he wanted to put Mellanby on the top line, right down to the Drury comparison.
Great minds think alike.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:44 AM
  #267
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The surprise was that you drafted Drury early (your 3rd forward), ahead of all the forwards you mention except Jordan.
I'm surprised that it was such a surprise, because he was an ATD staple before that.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:03 AM
  #268
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'm surprised that it was such a surprise, because he was an ATD staple before that.
It only takes one guy to make a mistake and one guy every subsequent draft to repeat it (the logic: well he was drafted before so he is good to draft again).

Thankfully some previous ATD picks have fallen like stones. Others hopefully will, in the future.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:37 AM
  #269
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
It only takes one guy to make a mistake and one guy every subsequent draft to repeat it (the logic: well he was drafted before so he is good to draft again).

Thankfully some previous ATD picks have fallen like stones. Others hopefully will, in the future.
yeah, I get that, but it was still such a surprise to get so much flak in the MLD when he seemed so "accepted" in the ATD.

(the only reason he was taken before other guys was because I draft strategically - who can I get at what point in the draft?)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:57 AM
  #270
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
the only reason he was taken before other guys was because I draft strategically - who can I get at what point in the draft?
I do too. But sometimes one has to draft a guy where one believes he belongs to make a statement (e.g., like I did with Keane in the MLD). It is a thrill to pick up a guy you value greatly later on, but it's also annoying to think others don't value him as much as you do. There are some guys I think I should draft but haven't because, well, two of them will drop and two others are off-the-board picks so since they never have been drafted I know I can get them in the bottom half of this draft. It's always a struggle between justice and self-interest.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:20 AM
  #271
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I do too. But sometimes one has to draft a guy where one believes he belongs to make a statement (e.g., like I did with Keane in the MLD). It is a thrill to pick up a guy you value greatly later on, but it's also annoying to think others don't value him as much as you do. There are some guys I think I should draft but haven't because, well, two of them will drop and two others are off-the-board picks so since they never have been drafted I know I can get them in the bottom half of this draft. It's always a struggle between justice and self-interest.


I hear ya.

Can't wait to see who these 'never-drafteds' are. I have two of my own. In the MLD there's always a chance someone's after your guy but when the field is wide open, like in the AAA, it just seems so remote. I planned to go off the board with McCourt; Zamboni showed me that the astuteness I think I possess in research and drafting is not exclusive.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:01 AM
  #272
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,920
vCash: 500
Philadelphia listpicks right winger Petr Sykora

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:03 AM
  #273
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,864
vCash: 2498
Johnstown selects, goaltender Gilles Meloche



NHL All Star Game 1980, 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
Gilles Meloche was a talented netminder who appeared in nearly 800 games during the 1970s and '80s. He was a true workhorse who saw action in at least 40 games 13 times in his career. His best years came with the strong Minnesota North Stars clubs in the early '80s.

The Montreal native was selected 70th overall by the Chicago Black Hawks at the 1970 Amateur Draft after a solid junior career with the Verdun Junior Maple Leafs. After starring in 45 games for the Leafs in 1969-70, he was named to the QJHL's first all-star squad. Meloche spent most of the 1970-71 season with the IHL's Flint Generals but had little hope of playing for the parent club who had Tony Esposito and Gary Smith between the pipes.

The young backstopper welcomed the trade that brought him to the defensively weak California Golden Seals. During the 1971-72 season, he created a stir by registering four shutouts and a 3.33 goals against average. He continued to provide goaltending heroics for the next few years including the franchise's two-year relocation to Cleveland.

Following the Barons' merge with the Minnesota North Stars, Meloche started to experience winning. In 1979-80, he backstopped the club to 27 wins and led them to a quarterfinals victory over the Montreal Canadiens which ended their four-Cup dynasty. The next year, he combined with youngster Don Beaupre to form one of the best goalkeeping tandems in the league. Meloche took part in the NHL All-Star Game and won eight playoff games during Minnesota's run to the finals.

Meloche continued to work his share of games for the North Stars through the 1984-85 season. In 1982, he won a bronze medal when he represented Canada at the World Championships and helped Minnesota reach the semi-finals in 1984. He played his last three years with the Pittsburgh Penguins before retiring in 1988.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelletier
Judging a hockey player based on his stats often leads to inaccuracies, particularly when it comes to goaltenders. Gilles Meloche is the perfect example of this.

He surrendered 2756 goals against, more than anyone else in history. His 270-351-131 career record is pretty weak, and his 351 losses is only one shy of the NHL record - set by Hall of Famer Gump Worsley, who played nearly 900 games.

One would decipher from those stats that Gilles wasn't a very good puck stopper. But in actuality nothing could be further from the truth. Quick, agile and a tremendous attitude were his trademarks. Meloche was a very good goalie on some VERY bad teams. If Meloche had played in Montreal during the 70s and Ken Dryden played in Oakland and Cleveland, then we very well might be saying Meloche is one of the all time greats and Dryden would be the one with the poor numbers.

Gilles actually got his start in the NHL with Chicago. He was a happy 70th overall draft pick of the Hawks in 1970 as Gilles grew up idolizing Hawk legend Glenn Hall. Meloche played his first pro year with the IHL's Flint Generals but did appear in two NHL games when Hawks backup ******* broke his arm. It was a good debut for Gilles - he won his first two starts - 6-4 in Vancouver and 5-2 against the California Golden Seals.

Those were the only two games Meloche ever played for Chicago. In the summer the Hawks sent ******* to Oakland for *******. However ******* broken arm had not healed properly and the NHL nullified the trade. The two teams agreed to new terms and this time Meloche and defenseman Paul Shmyr were sent out west.

An interesting story happened immediately after the trade. Shmyr and Meloche disappeared for the next three days. There was much speculation that two would not report to California as they never showed up for their flight. However Shmyr had wanted his car with him out west, so he convinced the young Meloche to join him as they drove 3 days across the country!

You probably wouldn't have blamed anyone for not wanting to go the Seals franchise though. Soon the WHA would raid their roster and they became the NHL's doormats. But Meloche very much enjoyed his time there and looks back on it fondly.

"Oakland didn't have a very good team for most of my time there, but those were good years for me because I was in my early twenties and playing 50 to 60 games a year. I just wanted to play the game. When you're losing three games out of four, four games out of five, its easy to lose your confidence. But I was getting great press and the fans were always with me. I just enjoyed playing the game and I was having fun so I really didn't mind my days in Oakland. I was in the NHL and that was all that mattered," remembered Meloche in Dick Irvin's great book In The Crease.

With such an awful record the Seals were having trouble making a go of it in Oakland, and the team finally moved in 1976 to Cleveland and became the Barons. Meloche accompanied the team to Cleveland, but as Gilles recalls, not much changed.

snip

In 1978 the Barons merged with the Minnesota North Stars. Meloche described his time in Minnesota as "the best time in my career."

"The North Stars had finished in last place overall the year before and they ended up picking Bobby Smith, Steve Payne and Craig Hartsburg in one draft. My first year there we missed the playoffs by three or four points but we made them the next six years and they were great years."

Great was right, especially in 1980 and 1981.

In 1980 the North Stars faced off with the 4 time defending Stanley Cup champion Montreal Canadiens. The heavily favored Habs were looking for their unthinkable 5th Cup in a row! But Meloche and the Stars had a different idea. Meloche was brilliant - so brilliant that long time hockey broadcaster Dick Irvin said "Meloche's goaltending in that series rates among the best I have ever seen in the playoffs!"

Meloche, who had been criticized for not being a "big game" goaltender, shook that label with a 3-0 shutout victory in the Montreal Forum in game one. The very next night the Stars again shocked the Habs with a 4-1 win! The Habs stormed back in the next three games and took a 3-2 series lead, but the Stars continued to fight on. The Stars forced a game 7 with a 5-2 win in Minnesota in game 6. Then the exciting game 7 showdown in Montreal was played. Minnesota's Al MacAdam scored the winner on ******* with around 2 minutes left to play as Meloche backstopped the Stars to one of hockey's biggest playoff upsets.

"That was the greatest thrill of my career" later admitted Meloche.

The Stars bowed out to Philadelphia in the next round of the playoffs, but the next year they made it all the way to the finals where they met the New York Islanders, who won the Cup in 1980. It was an exciting ride for the Stars and their fans, but Meloche knew they were heavy underdogs.

"You know, you get into a series where you don't think you have too much of a chance to win and that's bad because the mental edge has something to do with it. We weren't really in the series but it was still a thrill. I remember losing on the Island and seeing the Stanley Cup on the ice. You know then why its something everybody dreams about."

Meloche continued to play with the Stars until the conclusion of the 1984-85 season.

snip

Gilles finally landed in Pittsburgh where he finished his career with 3 more seasons. Following his playing days he became a goalie consultant and scout for the Pens.

So there you have it - one of hockey's better goalies with some of hockey's worst records


Last edited by DaveG: 10-17-2010 at 08:18 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:04 AM
  #274
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,864
vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Philadelphia listpicks right winger Petr Sykora
interesting, he was the next RW on our list as well. Still have some quality left there though.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:04 AM
  #275
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,599
vCash: 500
Regina selects a (at this level) dynamic offensive force at LW - Among active players with 400+ games, he's actually the leader in adjusted even strength points per game, and overall adjusted points per game, for that matter. With 1.02 adjusted PPG, he's actually 0.14 ahead of anyone else with 500 games played.

He doesn't do much other than score, but he's about as good at it as anyone in the MLD.

And if you're mean to him he'll kick you.

Martin Havlat, LW

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.