HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

New Look Panthers

Old
10-15-2010, 05:09 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

vCash: 500
New Look Panthers

I think it is fair to admit right off the bat that 3 games does not a Stanley Cup win. However, I've noticed a huge change in the Panthers and just wanted to point it out and see what other people thought on the subject.

The biggest and most readily apparent difference is that are finally out shooting teams. Through 3 games we have 88 shots to 75 allowed. 25 shots a game is a huge improvement over the 34.1 per game that we surrendered last year. I think this is because of the next change that I have noticed.

The Panthers are playing much tougher in the offensive zone, especially down in the corners. I have noticed that there seems to be a much more of a blue collar attitude as opposed to last years lollygaggery. Even when the other team clearly established possession of the puck the team has been much better at forechecking to keep it in the offensive zone. They are also getting much better cycling the puck. All of this adds up to keep the puck in the other zone much more than it was last year. I dont know if there is a stat for the amount of time that the puck is in your zone, the neutral zone, and the offensive zone, but if there is i am sure that it will show a big improvement over last years average.

The team is also playing tougher on defense. Ive noticed much more physical play. We dont seem to let the other team keep moving the puck around in our zone indefinitely like we did last year. Last night I specifically noticed how much better Matthias was at playing physical on defense.

I think the combination of all of these things is going to make a big difference for the team and finally turn it into a winner. With that said, we still miss the top end talent to actually capitalize on these improvements so we will still struggle. But I think if we maintain this blueprint and add talent and hard work to it, we will get where we need to go and certainly much quicker then 3 years.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 06:23 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I think we've improved everywhere but Goaltending (without Markstrom) which is still great and our power play still sucks. I don't know if its the PP coach or what but we look like we're short handed when we get on the PP lol. This team's mentality has definitely taken a HUGE step forward.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 06:51 PM
RainingRats

Positives:
We're playing with a great effort.
Not taking a lot of penalties (minus Stillman)
Much more physical
GREAT in the faceoff circle
GREAT penalty killing
Winning battles down low
Getting production from unexpected players
Olesz looks really good

Negatives:
Powerplay is ATROCIOUS
Clearly lack a legit #1 line
Our top players haven't been our best(but also a good thing since they'll turn it around)
We don't have any high end offensive players
We're going to have trouble scoring all season long

If we played the way we did the first three games and I don't really see why we can't I think we're going to win more games than many of us expected. If we can fix our powerplay we'll win even more and get close to the playoffs. Getting one of those last spots is going to be difficult. The Southeast is looking pretty good. Every team improved except for Washington who was already the best in the league.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:00 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Before the puck dropped in Edmonton, I decided I'd give this team 10 games to declare itself. They certainly look like a different squad after three games. Then again, they've teased with hints of competence in the past only to ultimately disappoint.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:17 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Before the puck dropped in Edmonton, I decided I'd give this team 10 games to declare itself. They certainly look like a different squad after three games. Then again, they've teased with hints of competence in the past only to ultimately disappoint.
What happens after the 10 games? Will you initiate startle coloration and then make a run for it?

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:45 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
What happens after the 10 games? Will you initiate startle coloration and then make a run for it?
Assuming things went south, that would be rather species appropriate.

I wish I could do that, but Yorkman already has my money. Sadly, I'd just have to sit in my seats and take it. I mean, sure, I could try to sell my season tickets at that point, but I'd be so upside down on them that they'd make that McMansion on a zero lot line next to the trash dump look like a solid investment.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
this team reminds me of the team from two years ago in Deboer's first season. Good for fan as a whole.... bad for us in tank nation.

Bure1096 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:54 AM
Gudbranson44

can anyone provide a link for the game against calgary. id love to see that game after vokoun's comments about it being the best game he has seen played in front of him in florida, and experts saying that we havent played like that since skrudland captained us...

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Why I think the shot totals are down

Were more in the offensive zone. Were more aggressive on the puck carriers. We do a lot little things right like another player takes out puck carriers stick or body while other guy supports and takes the puck. We don't bank the puck THAT much off the boards anymore out of the zone although we still do it a lot. More time we spend in offensive zone of course there will be less shots in our own.

Penalty Kill rocks!
Were being much much more aggressive on the PK. Before we were very passive and just collapsed in front of the net. Now were not afraid to go after the puck carrier on the PK either so it forces the oppotents to make much much more quicker decisions which lead to mistake and better possibilities to cover the passing lanes

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:26 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

We have definitely improved this year, tons and tons of speed and energy, and they arent having the lapses they always do. We are outplaying the other teams and are getting our scoring chances. Once the puck starts finding twine and we keep playing like this, could be a real good season.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:45 AM
homegrizown

we can probably thank gord murphys aggressive attack defense for why shots are lower. one d-men always steps up instead of letting a team come down dump it in and set it up.

also the discipline so far, and the fact we have been making out let passes!!!! finally a team that can make a pass outta the zone and a team that isn't playing 100 percent dump and chase.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:42 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
we can probably thank gord murphys aggressive attack defense for why shots are lower. one d-men always steps up instead of letting a team come down dump it in and set it up.

also the discipline so far, and the fact we have been making out let passes!!!! finally a team that can make a pass outta the zone and a team that isn't playing 100 percent dump and chase.
You hit the nail on the head there buddy. RIP dump & chase, we never really liked you anyway....

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:04 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

the passing has gotten way better this year. i used to think we were the worst passing team in the league. now we actually see some pretty goals.

has anyone else noticed that so far the most disappointing line we have is the first line? weiss especially, but frolik and higgins havent done much.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:10 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
the passing has gotten way better this year. i used to think we were the worst passing team in the league. now we actually see some pretty goals.

has anyone else noticed that so far the most disappointing line we have is the first line? weiss especially, but frolik and higgins havent done much.
I've noticed. What's surprised me is the depth players we acquired (Reasoner, Weaver, Bernier) have been very good so far.

If we continue to play 60 minutes a night, and continue to do well on faceoffs and PK, we'll be a good hockey team.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:49 AM
LuckyLuke87

Team really surprised me so far. I'm impressed especially with Olesz, he looks like completely different player. Unfortunately, Weiss and Frolik are really dissapointing, they're almost invisible (honorable exception for Frolik's missed nets, he can't hit even soccer net).

LuckyLuke87 is offline   Reply With Quote