HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hooliganism by Ranger Fans

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2010, 10:20 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
m is right in what she says. There is a culture in the 400s that still think it's the 70's and being a neanderthal is the thing to be.

And for those of you who think these problems are caused by the under 25 crowd who can handle their liquor, you couldn't be more wrong.

Old
10-17-2010, 10:21 AM
darrenturcotte#8

This thread is a joke. I've been abused in at least 12 different NHL arena's for cheering a Ranger goal in my jersey. I've gotten it much worse at international tournaments wearing my USA jersey in Canada and even in Turin, Italy. Its never gotten out of control bc I know what to expect and how to react. (I just smile and laugh at the witty comments) In fact, I kinda enjoy having 15 people yell and curse at me when we go up by 1 in another building. Several times I've ended up having beers after the game with guys who were screaming bloody murder during the game. Its all part of the experience of going into a hostile environment in the opposing jersey and cheering against the home team. I assure you, if you just sit and watch the game, nobody will bother you in any NHL arena.

Old
10-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
On a lighter note anyone notice it took security like 15 minutes to respond to the incident in 408/409? Lol MSG security on top of things as usual

Old
10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If this can't be discussed with some civility, this thread will be closed.

10-17-2010, 11:01 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Every team has it's bad fans, maybe ranger fans are over passionate.This isn't tennis it's hockey.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:04 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If this can't be discussed with some civility, this thread will be closed.
But what a loss to the board that would be!!!

Old
10-17-2010, 11:05 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Every team has it's bad fans, maybe ranger fans are over passionate.This isn't tennis it's hockey.
Malarkey! Other teams' fans aren't passionate enough!

Old
10-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

You can't stand the heat stay out of Hell's Kitchen.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
This thread is a joke. I've been abused in at least 12 different NHL arena's for cheering a Ranger goal in my jersey. I've gotten it much worse at international tournaments wearing my USA jersey in Canada and even in Turin, Italy. Its never gotten out of control bc I know what to expect and how to react. (I just smile and laugh at the witty comments) In fact, I kinda enjoy having 15 people yell and curse at me when we go up by 1 in another building. Several times I've ended up having beers after the game with guys who were screaming bloody murder during the game. Its all part of the experience of going into a hostile environment in the opposing jersey and cheering against the home team. I assure you, if you just sit and watch the game, nobody will bother you in any NHL arena.
you know what the problem is though? there always seems to be some knucklehead that throws his beer (essentially tears up 10 dollars ) and then what do you do? i've never had it happen to me - i've been heckled in montreal and what not and like you said just laugh it off - but if someone throws a beer on you i don't know how i'd react

Old
10-17-2010, 11:36 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Malarkey! Other teams' fans aren't passionate enough!
I guess so since were apparantly the only franchise fans that are so passionate that we display such horrid behavior towards the ENEMY. Sorry but when some d-bag devils comes into the garden with fatties jersey ranting about the devils I'm not going to greet him with a handshake and give him a pat on the back n say have a good game that's just not going to happen with any fan no matter the team.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:43 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Agree. Being passionate is one thing, being a ****** bag is another.

While we are at it, can we put an end to the "Potvin Sucks" chant and all the "Shoot" whining on the PP too?
First, I don't buy the whole visitor coming in, we can act like a total animal towards him excuse. Someone mentioned that the same thing would happen to us if we went to a Philly game. Really? We are now comparing ourselves to Flyers fans?

Bottom line is anytime we visit an arena wearing the Rangers gear we are heckled but not harassed. Visiting other arenas has been a total treat and I am glad those fans don't do to us what we do to them when they come to the World's Most Famous Arena.

People who act like total morons are not Rangers fans at all. If they were they would be concentrating on their own team, not fans of the others.

Ok, even if I were to swallow this "the-visitor-fans-asked-for-it" kool-aid, what is the justification for calling the most passionate Ranger fan in MSG homophobic remarks? Everyone knows what I am talking about.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:44 AM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
m is right in what she says. There is a culture in the 400s that still think it's the 70's and being a neanderthal is the thing to be.

And for those of you who think these problems are caused by the under 25 crowd who can handle their liquor, you couldn't be more wrong.
Thanks Abev.

I know I am probably going to take a lot of heat up in 409 and 408 at Monday's game but it needed to be said. The thing that put me over the edge on this issue was seeing the bloody Leaf fan.

I'm am just as much of a loud mouth as anybody else in 409 and have used my share of bad language. But I direct mostly at the officials and certain players, not at other fans and I try to reign it in if there are little kids around.

Like I said, the only real altercation I had in 409 was with some guy in front of me whose bimbo girlfriend was standing for over a minute sorting herself out while play was ongoing. That to me is an inexcusable breach of hockey etiquette.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Sportsmanship applies to fans also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
I was appalled by the behavior I saw from some Ranger fans last night toward Leaf fans in the crowd.

A man and his wife were literally driven from section 408 by the boorish behavior of some fans in that section. A loud mouth in 409 was ragging on Leafs fans next to me for no other reason then they got up to cheer a Leaf goal.

If we, all Ranger fans, let this behavior continue we will get a worse reputation around the league then we already have. Do we really want to lower ourselves to the behavior we have experienced in places like Philadelphia, New Jersey and on the Island?

I am a Ranger. We are all Rangers. If we behave badly it reflects on us, our sections and the New York Rangers Hockey Club. If we accept the bad behavior of those around us we are just as guilty as the perpetrators.

If you see something, say something. Call security. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Bad behavior by any fan toward another is unacceptable.

Let's show some class.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I was in 408 for the home opener, 2 rows behind the Leaf fan that got thrown out. Honestly, he got what he had coming to him. I've been to opposing team's arenas before. I was at the NYR-PHI game at the end of last season in PHI. I stood and clapped when the Rangers scored and that was it. I acted civil and didn't try to piss any of the home fans off. That Leaf fan was acting like a retard after the Leafs scored and taunting the fans, holding up fingers to signal the score and then he started flipping everyone the bird and putting up his fists towards people like he wanted to fight. That's when a guy a few rows up walked down right next to his aisle and challenged him to a fight, and then other Rangers fans followed. He started it, he antagonized the home crowd and he got removed. He's actually pretty lucky that he didn't get knocked out. Honestly I was pretty tempted to chuck a beer at him during that whole ordeal. Had I been a little more drunk I probably would have.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

When I go to Lightning-Rangers games at the Forum, there's ALWAYS, at least, one person saying something to me with my Rangers jersey on... Especially after a Rangers loss. It's all cool depending on how they go about saying it or if they have a smile on their face or a smirk. If they do it to act like a dick and their voice sounds like they want to piss you off, then, yeah, **** 'em, I'm going to say something back - even with my mom next to me .

I get obnoxious at the games down here. I don't try to start ****. I'm just rooting for my boys. I don't make fun of the Lightning or Panther fans or either the team. When there's the ones that start cursing about the home team's players and fans when you're cheering for the away team, then you're asking for something. Plain and simple.

Those Leafs fans that start heckling to stir up ****, then whatever happens to them is on them. Again, they asked for it.

The bad heckling (ie. - cursing, no laughter, doing it to start something bad) is what it is, it's going to happen. It just happens. I don't like it, but there's nothing that's going to stop it really.

Whoecares if we become the most obnoxious and the most brutal to the opposing fans in our arena!

Less Hospitality = Less of the Other Teams Fans

Old
10-17-2010, 12:01 PM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
First, I don't buy the whole visitor coming in, we can act like a total animal towards him excuse. Someone mentioned that the same thing would happen to us if we went to a Philly game. Really? We are now comparing ourselves to Flyers fans?

Bottom line is anytime we visit an arena wearing the Rangers gear we are heckled but not harassed. Visiting other arenas has been a total treat and I am glad those fans don't do to us what we do to them when they come to the World's Most Famous Arena.

People who act like total morons are not Rangers fans at all. If they were they would be concentrating on their own team, not fans of the others.

Ok, even if I were to swallow this "the-visitor-fans-asked-for-it" kool-aid, what is the justification for calling the most passionate Ranger fan in MSG homophobic remarks? Everyone knows what I am talking about.
Oh for God's sake it's a ****ing JOKE!!! I'm friendly with Larry as are many others here I'm sure and it doesn't bother him. So if he knows it's a joke and it doesn't bother him, why should it bother me or anyone else?

Old
10-17-2010, 12:12 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
... why should it bother me or anyone else?
Please think about that for a second, you'll find the answer.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:16 PM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Please think about that for a second, you'll find the answer.
Whatever. Agree to disagree. Clearly I don't live the same politically correct life that you do. Some of you people really need to get over yourselves.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:22 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
I was appalled by the behavior I saw from some Ranger fans last night toward Leaf fans in the crowd.

A man and his wife were literally driven from section 408 by the boorish behavior of some fans in that section. A loud mouth in 409 was ragging on Leafs fans next to me for no other reason then they got up to cheer a Leaf goal.

If we, all Ranger fans, let this behavior continue we will get a worse reputation around the league then we already have. Do we really want to lower ourselves to the behavior we have experienced in places like Philadelphia, New Jersey and on the Island?

I am a Ranger. We are all Rangers. If we behave badly it reflects on us, our sections and the New York Rangers Hockey Club. If we accept the bad behavior of those around us we are just as guilty as the perpetrators.

If you see something, say something. Call security. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Bad behavior by any fan toward another is unacceptable.

Let's show some class.
Please, give me a break. The one leaf fan by me was mocking and baiting us into cursing him out...lets not make this this seem like its one-sided. SOME leaf fans are complete garbage and if they come into our house and mock us, there going to get trashed talked. Especially on opening night...the fans over on the Toronto board are crybabys..they think that they can come to MSG, sit wherever they want, and go nuts over the leafs scoring and mock the other team? I got news for them...this is NY, not the ACC. Your at an away game, sit down...shut up...cheer when your team scores, thats fine...but then sit down and dont say two words to the Ranger fans around you. I swear those Leaf fans on the Toronto board think the world revolves around them.

As for the physically hitting another fan, thats one thing. But stop crying about how Ranger fans are acting inappropriate, its the away fans that are inappropriate. And FYI, there are drunk *******s in every stadium ... stop making it seem like were the only fanbase that disrepects others because its NOT the case. I went to a Leafs game in Toronto in 2007 wearing Rangers gear and you should have seen the abuse I got, I was named-called, cursed at, and physically shoved in the concourse.

10-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Blueshirt13

Apparently not everyone had the same Leafs fan experienced my section had with the 25 or so year old Leafs' fan dressed in an Oktoberfest maid costume... All I can say is wow.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:49 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13 View Post
Apparently not everyone had the same Leafs fan experienced my section had with the 25 or so year old Leafs' fan dressed in an Oktoberfest maid costume... All I can say is wow.
pics or it didnt happen

Old
10-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Please, give me a break. The one leaf fan by me was mocking and baiting us into cursing him out...lets not make this this seem like its one-sided. SOME leaf fans are complete garbage and if they come into our house and mock us, there going to get trashed talked. Especially on opening night...the fans over on the Toronto board are crybabys..they think that they can come to MSG, sit wherever they want, and go nuts over the leafs scoring and mock the other team? I got news for them...this is NY, not the ACC. Your at an away game, sit down...shut up...cheer when your team scores, thats fine...but then sit down and dont say two words to the Ranger fans around you. I swear those Leaf fans on the Toronto board think the world revolves around them.

As for the physically hitting another fan, thats one thing. But stop crying about how Ranger fans are acting inappropriate, its the away fans that are inappropriate. And FYI, there are drunk *******s in every stadium ... stop making it seem like were the only fanbase that disrepects others because its NOT the case. I went to a Leafs game in Toronto in 2007 wearing Rangers gear and you should have seen the abuse I got, I was named-called, cursed at, and physically shoved in the concourse.
Exactly.

They ask for it.

The fans give it to them.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Just gonna say I saw the guy dressed as a Senator at the pre-season game.

He was awesome.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:18 PM
mhurley

[QUOTE=savebyrichter35;28366314]Oh for God's sake it's a ****ing JOKE!!! I'm friendly with Larry as are many others here I'm sure and it doesn't bother him. So if he knows it's a joke and it doesn't bother him, why should it bother me or anyone else?[/QUOTE

Dude, homosexuals do go to hockey games and play the sport whether you choose to believe that or not. Larry may not mind it but other people do, even some hetereosexuals. It's inappropriate in a public setting in the same way an ethnic slur would be. It's just uncalled for.

Calling Marty, Uncle Daddy, in-law ****** is gamesmanship on the part of the fans and while rude, it serves a purpose and is directed at one person.

There is a big difference.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I was in 408 for the home opener, 2 rows behind the Leaf fan that got thrown out. Honestly, he got what he had coming to him. I've been to opposing team's arenas before. I was at the NYR-PHI game at the end of last season in PHI. I stood and clapped when the Rangers scored and that was it. I acted civil and didn't try to piss any of the home fans off. That Leaf fan was acting like a retard after the Leafs scored and taunting the fans, holding up fingers to signal the score and then he started flipping everyone the bird and putting up his fists towards people like he wanted to fight. That's when a guy a few rows up walked down right next to his aisle and challenged him to a fight, and then other Rangers fans followed. He started it, he antagonized the home crowd and he got removed. He's actually pretty lucky that he didn't get knocked out. Honestly I was pretty tempted to chuck a beer at him during that whole ordeal. Had I been a little more drunk I probably would have.
The Leaf fan reached out to me and told a different story. He told me Ranger fans were throwing things at his wife? Is that true? If so, that's unacceptable. If the guy is being a jerk call an usher. Under no circumstance should beer or anything else be thrown at another person.

Once you put your hands on someone you open yourself to an assault charge. I would take that as a sobering thought.

Closed Thread