Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hiller's Performance Discussion

Old
10-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
Hiller's Performance Discussion

Mod Edit: Topic converted to General Hiller discussion.
------------------------
We need a backup that can put a pressure on Hiller.

Hiller is having the number 1 position written on the stone atm and he isn't playing good. IMO he and the goaltending needs competition and we need a better backup than McBackup.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Mooseduck: 11-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:31 AM
swisdan

I didn't see all the games. But dont' you think Anaheim has more need a good coach and the defensive behaviour more decent? When i see all the shoots Anaheim has allowed, i'm wondering how bad his defensive job of this team.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisdan View Post
I didn't see all the games. But dont' you think Anaheim has more need a good coach and the defensive behaviour more decent? When i see all the shoots Anaheim has allowed, i'm wondering how bad his defensive job of this team.
Of course, but that's not the question.

IMO better backup is still needed. Hiller might be too comfortable with the nr1 position. Competition wouldn't be bad...

Old
10-16-2010, 08:10 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Yes and no. I don't think we need a better back up because Hiller needs "pressure." I don't think it would help him at all.

But we do need a better back up because with this defense he's going to get tired or injured, and we need someone who's capable of not losing. I don't think McBackup is capable of not losing.

But it won't happen because our backup is dirt cheap, and that and defense is how Murray's managed to build "3 scoring lines."

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:37 AM
airforceones25

IMO I think McElhinney has done a terrific job for the Ducks. Everyone hates him for some apparent reason because he isn't the flashy name but quite frankly all he's done since he's been here is perform. Until he proves otherwise we have no need for a different backup. If RC had any balls he'd bench Hiller for the next game and give Curtis a shot and hopefully it will get through Hiller's head that he needs to step up!

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:01 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

McBackup is a solid back up keeper

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:14 PM
SmackCrackleNPop

Curtis is fine as a backup, ever since getting him he's been solid (more than I expected). Just some rebound issues, but when he had that stretch where he was playing a lot while Jonas was injured, he did pretty well.

Playing behind Kipper all that time didn't give him much game time, he's proven that's just what he needs, a little more game time and he can be more consistent.

Hiller has been okay so far, still lets in too many soft goals, but that defense certainly isn't helping out.

SmackCrackleNPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:30 PM
JtotheLew

I read an article once that was talking about the amount of shots people take in the NHL ( it was more centered around the Crosby/Ovi goal debate and how Ovi takes a ton of shots, along with guys like Jeff Carter, and if they have just 'figured out how to mathematically beat goalies' which obviously isn't the case ) but through breaking down a lot of stats, etc. you could basically surmise that NHL goalies should be expected to make 31 saves a game.

Hiller is facing a ton of rubber every night and has played good every night and even last night I don't think he played bad, it's really not his fault. I thought he played great against Vancouver and he made a highlight reel save.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Find a better backup for 535k then we will talk

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Finnpin

No doubt Curtis has been good with the little minutes so far (and the cheap contract) but I don't see him getting that much of a starts and that means Hiller will play at least 70 games this season and I have a feeling that's not a good thing.

Old
10-16-2010, 02:47 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
No doubt Curtis has been good with the little minutes so far (and the cheap contract) but I don't see him getting that much of a starts and that means Hiller will play at least 70 games this season and I have a feeling that's not a good thing.
Playoff team or not it's not a good thing. Luongo, Brodeur (at least now), and Lundqvist can't handle that work load and go deep in the playoffs and I assume Hiller can't either. Especialy not at 30-40+ shots a game.

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:59 PM
bumperkisser

i missed the first 2 periods of the last game so i dont know how he played last night but i think hes been fine in our first couple games... the 3rd goal was retarded and was definitely on hiller yesterday, the 4th i just see as a bad bounce.. he was great in the shootout

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Unholy
waifu

No confidence and no defense in front of him. He's not being awful just can't steal every night worth of 40 shots. Granted only around 30 last night but still, wasn't his fault dumb penalties occurred and no one scored during the shootout.

Unholy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

He never seems to be totally into the game until he faces and stops like ten shots. Maybe he needs to change his pregame routine in order to focus better earlier in games.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Selanne138

maybe his problem is that hes facing 40 shots a night?

i dont think a better backup is the problem. I think were just seeing that Hiller isn't superman as we seemed to think he was and with the guys that Murray calls a defense playing in front of him, he cant save 10 point blank chances per night.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
No confidence and no defense in front of him. He's not being awful just can't steal every night worth of 40 shots. Granted only around 30 last night but still, wasn't his fault dumb penalties occurred and no one scored during the shootout.
Two of those goals last night were on him. Number one netminders can't be letting in unscreened point shots nor allowing pucks between the posts and his pads from no angle, especially protecting a lead in the third period. He has to be better for this team to have a chance to win.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Unholy
waifu

How about we get a coach that actually plays Mcbackup? Not Curtis's fault he hasn't started yet. He had a good record after he came here and played well. RC's job to have him play and pressure Hiller

Unholy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:17 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
We need a backup that can put a pressure on Hiller.

Hiller is having the number 1 position written on the stone atm and he isn't playing good. IMO he and the goaltending needs competition and we need a better backup than McBackup.

Thoughts?
I think he's maybe burnt out stemming from last year since Carlyle's been playing him over McElhinney on back-to-back nights. I mean normally, they would share a game to keep each other relatively fresh but I think Hiller's overworked. I hope they give Hiller a 55 game cap this year to give McElhinney some starting time.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:41 AM
Papaspud
upsetting the

Hiller's problem? Shoddy defense.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:04 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
Exactly.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

We need more ''better'' defenseman to put pressure on our D, so they can play better.
Hey we`re doing it already.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Adamg0013

Hiller's problem.... hmmm... no defense, horrible coaching.... Fired Carlyle and Murray, and play McBackup some, and Hiller will be fine

Adamg0013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:08 PM
gradeAducksfan

Hiller will make some great saves and then give up a goal that a 5 year old could stop! So far he's been giving up 4 goals a game. That's not a number 1 goalie in my eyes... Everyone will talk about bad defense but as a number 1 you still can't be giving up those "Bad goals"!

gradeAducksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:23 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
Hiller will make some great saves and then give up a goal that a 5 year old could stop! So far he's been giving up 4 goals a game. That's not a number 1 goalie in my eyes... Everyone will talk about bad defense but as a number 1 you still can't be giving up those "Bad goals"!
Go away troll

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:48 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeAducksfan View Post
Pretty much everyone knows you are a troll......go away.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote