HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Lines in Practice (No Call-ups)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2010, 02:37 PM
  #51
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 18,059
vCash: 500
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...d_for_defense/

Quote:
In a nutshell, that’s the story from today’s Rangers practice, a good portion of which was spent on defensive zone coverage - and that includes the classroom work.

“The No. 1 priority of practice as well as after the game (Friday’s 4-3 overtime loss to the Maple Leafs) is coverage,” coach John Tortorella said. “We don’t have to give up our defense to create more offense. Our approaching isn’t raising holy hell and taking chances all over the place.

You’re not going to win in this league unless you’re solid defensively…It was a lack of stopping (Friday). It wasn’t a high-man problem. It was running around our end zone, spinning and not stopping.”


Still, the defensive pairs will stay the same for tomorrow’s game against the Avalanche.

If he thinks the D struggled on Saturday, why keep the pairs intact? It's pretty obvious that he needs to change it up...


Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
  #52
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
ok so we have three 2nd liners on our first line ... like i said disappointing
Shouldn't you be used to it by now? Last year aside, it's been that way since Jagr left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

D-pairs stay same: Staal-Rozsival, DZ-Girardi, Gilroy-Eminger.

Mike Sauer the healthy scratch tomorrow vs. Avalanche. No call-ups from Hartford for NYR.

Expected but Henrik Lundqvist will start vs. Avalanche. John Tortorella: "Marty (Biron) will get some time shortly."

Erik Christensen still considers himself day to day but says his sore right groin was feeling much better. "Night and day" from 2 days ago.

Today's practice and meetings focused on defensive coverage.

_______
Ugh. What the ****? What is this guy's problem with Sauer? It's ridiculous. Eminger and Gilroy are both atrocious.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:36 PM
  #53
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,257
vCash: 500
I'm waiting for Eminger to play his first good game for us. So far he's 0 for 6 including preseason games. Even an average performance would be a step up. The one thing I can say in his defense is he's a lot cheaper than Redden. I don't know what's up with Torts but he seems to think he's doing okay--or at least better than Sauer.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
  #54
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,852
vCash: 500
I've seen enough of Eminger and Gilroy to know that neither are the answer as our third pairing LD. Some defenseman are capable of playing on the opposite side but Eminger and Gilroy cannot. In fact, they are barely capable of playing competent defense on their natural side.

Slats needs to get on the phone and inquire about a cheap veteran lefty d-man. Is it too late to sign Semenov? He can't be much worse than Eminger or Gilroy at this point...

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
  #55
DontStaal
Registered User
 
DontStaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

Frolov - Stepan - Fedotenko
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Boyle - Prust
Boogaard - Christensen - White

Staal - Rozsival
DZ - Girardi
Gilroy - Eminger


----------
don't know what's worse.. our lineup or the isles

and why is gilroy still slotted in there? Put in Sauer torts

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:48 PM
  #56
Ail
Girardi Sucks
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,329
vCash: 500
Well, Torts is officially garbage.

Eminger/Gilroy, and Todd ****ing White.

Unreal.

I hope they get blown out only so Torts realizes how freakin' ridiculous this is.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:09 PM
  #57
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Why not Anisimov between Frolov and Fedotenko and Stepan between Dubinsky and Callahan? Let the Russians play together and the Americans play together. They can understand each other better.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:11 PM
  #58
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Fire Torts!!

Tony D63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
  #59
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,423
vCash: 500
I don't think Tortorella likes Sauer. Remember last year he was cut very early. Wasn't given much of a shot to make the team. Now back to back healthy scratches in favor of a player who clear as water, sucks.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
  #60
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Christ here come the "fire torts" remarks again. Three games in. Gaborik now injured. I think he's doing the best he can with what he has. I dont agree with eminger playing. I think gilroy should get another game. I think sauer should be in that lineup. We'll see what happens after tomorrow nights game.

I know all of you are experts with all the answers.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:27 PM
  #61
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Great point and greatest impact for sure. Stepan will be up against the best now.
Anisimov will draw the top pairings. If they don't right away, they will after a game or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hartford plays today and if MZA had a good game the Rangers should think about bringing him up. That might balance things out a little better. Rangers look to be up **** creek right now.

Looking at some of Torts moves over the last few days I'm beginning to wonder if he's lost it. There's still no real use for White that justifies the money spent. Eminger and Gilroy look like bad choices too. Eminger in particular would look better in a Wolfpack jersey.
Hartford is playing three in less than 48 hours. MZA might get a call up on monday, but there is no way he should be playing 4 in a row. Maybe as the extra. I'm afraid Kennedy will get the call and claimed.

It's the 3rd game. Every guy you named is subject to waivers, up and down. He is giving each guy a fair shot before they are automatically banished to Hartford for the entire season, no way any of those cap hits get recalled. Patience is needed here. I'd rather see everyone of these particular players in a regular season game now, then waived if necessary. At that point, we'll be stuck with just inexperienced kids. I'm fine with that, but judging by some of these posts the majority of fans can't take any more losing.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:30 PM
  #62
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
in this case....i guess i should sell my tickets for tmrw

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:32 PM
  #63
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Christ here come the "fire torts" remarks again. Three games in. Gaborik now injured. I think he's doing the best he can with what he has. I dont agree with eminger playing. I think gilroy should get another game. I think sauer should be in that lineup. We'll see what happens after tomorrow nights game.

I know all of you are experts with all the answers.
You know, just say he gets fired, they'll be calling for the other guy's head when he loses his first game.

There's always something I don't like about someone, and not scratching Sauer is something I don't like what Torts is doing. I don't like how he gets in these phases of showing a little bit of stubborness. I love the guy, but c'mon, Tortsie.

lol @ the bolded - There's reasons why he he's still behind the bench with a Cup ring in his favor and these "experts" are on HF Boards.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
  #64
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I don't think Tortorella likes Sauer. Remember last year he was cut very early. Wasn't given much of a shot to make the team. Now back to back healthy scratches in favor of a player who clear as water, sucks.
Exactly, and Eminger hasn't been very good, either.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:43 PM
  #65
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
You know, just say he gets fired, they'll be calling for the other guy's head when he loses his first game.

There's always something I don't like about someone, and not scratching Sauer is something I don't like what Torts is doing. I don't like how he gets in these phases of showing a little bit of stubborness. I love the guy, but c'mon, Tortsie.

lol @ the bolded - There's reasons why he he's still behind the bench with a Cup ring in his favor and these "experts" are on HF Boards.
Why is this impossible to see? He is trying all of his guys. It's going into game 4. I guarentee that by Dec 1, more than 1 of White, Gilroy and Eminger will be gone. He needs to try it now to know what he has. Waive them once, and that is it. You can't call up anyone with experience at that point. It's all kids from there on out. People are freaking out after losing 1 regular, can't imagine the endless *****ing if we lose with McD, Valentenko and MZA on the big club. MZA is the only guy showing he can even excel in the AHL. The other two, scratch that, the entire roster except for MZA and Redden are playing rather ineptly.


And guys, no call ups because the Pack are playing today. Just like they did on Friday and Saturday. Explain to me how anyone on the Hartford Wolfpack, after playing in a row going on 4 Monday in NYC, will be of any help to the team. Do it. Tell me how. Tortorella doesn't like White over anyone. It's his only option.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:47 PM
  #66
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Exactly, and Eminger hasn't been very good, either.
It's quite bothersome, because from what I've seen, Sauer should be a coach's dream. He's very reliable, and the only mistake he's made was when he was out in a situation that he probably shouldn't have been on the ice for. Who's fault is that?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:50 PM
  #67
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
I'm more upset that they took Sauer out than the line combinations. They lost Gaborik, Prospal and Drury there is really nothing they can do to replace them especially Gaborik and Prospal. But Sauer has outplayed both Gilroy and Eminger. Too bad they sent Kennedy down instead of White. Only Sather would have a player with a over 2 million dollar cap hit be the teams 13th forward.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:59 PM
  #68
Kind of Blue
Registered User
 
Kind of Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's quite bothersome, because from what I've seen, Sauer should be a coach's dream. He's very reliable, and the only mistake he's made was when he was out in a situation that he probably shouldn't have been on the ice for. Who's fault is that?
Unless I'm missing something, 2010-11 Michael Sauer is basically 2006-07 Dan Girardi, i.e., an ultra-conservative, stay-at-home, reasonably strong and smart rookie defenseman who is capable of learning on the fly while taking care of the basics. I would think that is a good thing. But then again, maybe I'm missing something.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:01 PM
  #69
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Why is this impossible to see? He is trying all of his guys. It's going into game 4. I guarentee that by Dec 1, more than 1 of White, Gilroy and Eminger will be gone. He needs to try it now to know what he has. Waive them once, and that is it. You can't call up anyone with experience at that point. It's all kids from there on out. People are freaking out after losing 1 regular, can't imagine the endless *****ing if we lose with McD, Valentenko and MZA on the big club. MZA is the only guy showing he can even excel in the AHL. The other two, scratch that, the entire roster except for MZA and Redden are playing rather ineptly.


And guys, no call ups because the Pack are playing today. Just like they did on Friday and Saturday. Explain to me how anyone on the Hartford Wolfpack, after playing in a row going on 4 Monday in NYC, will be of any help to the team. Do it. Tell me how. Tortorella doesn't like White over anyone. It's his only option.
Exactly. People want to win now and play the kids at the same time. Kind of an impossible situation because there will undoubtedly be growing pains with such a young roster.

It's probably better off for McD, Valentenko, and MZA to remain in Hartford now anyway. Let them round out their game in the AHL. I would be hesitant to add McD and/or Valentenko to the cluster**** we have on defense now anyway. MDZ and Gilroy are no longer rookies, but still play like they are. Having McD or Valentenko on a pair with Gilroy or fellow rookie Sauer would be a rather daunting task for them.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:02 PM
  #70
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's quite bothersome, because from what I've seen, Sauer should be a coach's dream. He's very reliable, and the only mistake he's made was when he was out in a situation that he probably shouldn't have been on the ice for. Who's fault is that?
Neither Eminger nor Gilroy should be in the lineup over Sauer. I have yet to see Gilroy do anything that would appear to be NHL-caliber, aside from his skating...and that includes his offensive skillset.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:07 PM
  #71
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Neither Eminger nor Gilroy should be in the lineup over Sauer. I have yet to see Gilroy do anything that would appear to be NHL-caliber, aside from his skating...and that includes his offensive skillset.
Agreed on Sauer, however I'd rather see Gilroy than Eminger, who take at least 1 if not 2 bad penalties a game. In a perfect world Vtank or McD would be up with the big team, eminger could be waived and Gilroy could be dealt or the 7 man, but from what I am reading is McD hasn't looked too hot in the minors and needs some work. I haven't read much about Vtank at hartford.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:26 PM
  #72
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 50
Definitely need to call up MZA and let him get some minutes but I dont see that happening

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:31 PM
  #73
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Agreed on Sauer, however I'd rather see Gilroy than Eminger, who take at least 1 if not 2 bad penalties a game. In a perfect world Vtank or McD would be up with the big team, eminger could be waived and Gilroy could be dealt or the 7 man, but from what I am reading is McD hasn't looked too hot in the minors and needs some work. I haven't read much about Vtank at hartford.
What I would have liked to see to start the year would be the following:

Staal/Sauer
MDZ/Girardi
McDonagh/Roszival

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:52 PM
  #74
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 6,119
vCash: 500
I'd rather see Gilroy and Sauer - I mean, it's pretty clear that the staff (and probably Mike himself) are pretty down on playing him on the left side and Eminger was a colossal failure on that side. I think this is coming down to who plays better on the right side. Eminger is clearly weaker defensively, but his game does have a bit of bite to it. That's the only advantage I see Eminger having over Sauer and it isn't enough IMHO.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:56 PM
  #75
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,951
vCash: 500
I am sincerely dissapointed by the coaching staff's poor assessment of the defensive pairs, as well as the lack of bringing up Zuccarello despite Christensen still being questionable for the game.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.