HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Question re: Flyers vs Leafs

Old
10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
BlackDog13

vCash: 500
Question re: Flyers vs Leafs

My 12 year old son (huge Flyers fan) and I (huge Leafs fan) will be attending the game on Sat. the 23rd. I scored some nice seats from a guy at work (Sec 107 Row 3)
as past of my son's birthday gift.

My question is this: The kid will be decked in all his Flyers finest (complete with a poster he made) I'd like to wear my Leafs jersey but I've been warned not to by some folks. I don't have a big problem throwing down if the situation warrants it but should I really worry about having to duke it out with someone over a hockey jersey while I'm out for a night with my son? I realize no one can give a definitive answer but I thought I'd throw the question out there for those who might have a better read on the climate at Flyers games.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

You'll get heckled a bit. Your son will get high-fived, and cheered. As long as you're with him and people see that they generally won't mess with you; at least the relatively sober ones won't. It's not nearly as bad as some of the "horror stories."

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
My 12 year old son (huge Flyers fan) and I (huge Leafs fan) will be attending the game on Sat. the 23rd. I scored some nice seats from a guy at work (Sec 107 Row 3)
as past of my son's birthday gift.

My question is this: The kid will be decked in all his Flyers finest (complete with a poster he made) I'd like to wear my Leafs jersey but I've been warned not to by some folks. I don't have a big problem throwing down if the situation warrants it but should I really worry about having to duke it out with someone over a hockey jersey while I'm out for a night with my son? I realize no one can give a definitive answer but I thought I'd throw the question out there for those who might have a better read on the climate at Flyers games.
You can wear the Leafs jersey but be prepared to take crap from others all night long. As long as your not an ******* to everybody when the Leafs score or do something good you should be fine.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:30 PM
BlackDog13

No problem with heckling and teasing, I'd just hate to put my kid in a position where he has to watch me fight over something stupid. Hell, the Leafs will probably lose anyway

Old
10-17-2010, 07:30 PM
MsWoof

As long as you have a sense of humour and don't trash talk you should be fine. But the bigger question is, why on the face of God's green earth are you a Leaf fan? I live in Toronto and hate everything blue and white with a passion. How did your son end up with the orange and black?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
As long as you have a sense of humour and don't trash talk you should be fine. But the bigger question is, why on the face of God's green earth are you a Leaf fan? I live in Toronto and hate everything blue and white with a passion. How did your son end up with the orange and black?
Well they do say kids don't want to make the same mistakes that their parents did....

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Mosetter27

I was at the flyers av's game and a few of my buddies went around heckling av's fans but all in good fun nothin major just yelling (insert name on jersey here) SuCKS! and etc. I am a jersey collector and beside favorite players from each team I get former/current flyers taht have played for the team the jersey is of example toronto i'd go with Renberg or an older style i'd go with Luke Richardson. get it?

but sometimes thats not enough to get a pass... although my penns jerseys are Wregget, Snow, Tocchet, Recchi & LeClair I wouldn't dare wear them to a game! even though i'm die hard flyers!...

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
LOL. If I had a nickle for every time I answered this question I could've retired years ago. When I was around 4 or 5, my older brother got a rod hockey game for Christmas with the Canadiens vs. the Leafs. My brother always chose to be the Habs which left me the Leafs. As I got older and began to follow hockey I graviated towards Toronto.

My son is a Flyer fan as he was born just outside Philly and lived here his whole life. My wife and I are native New Yorkers (I'm also an Islander fan ) who moved to the area back in '94.

Old
10-17-2010, 07:46 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
LOL. If I had a nickle for every time I answered this question I could've retired years ago. When I was around 4 or 5, my older brother got a rod hockey game for Christmas with the Canadiens vs. the Leafs. My brother always chose to be the Habs which left me the Leafs. As I got older and began to follow hockey I graviated towards Toronto.

My son is a Flyer fan as he was born just outside Philly and lived here his whole life. My wife and I are native New Yorkers (I'm also an Islander fan ) who moved to the area back in '94.
I was a Leafs fan from birth till 1974. I also had one of those hockey games and it was just Habs/Leafs but I got over it! Come to the orange and black, ditch the blue and white, you won't regret it!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 872
I think you'll be fine but there's always the anticipation of the uncertainty. Just my two cents and at the risk of being overly preachy: if you are going with your son and he is a Flyers' fan, why bring the possible attention of wearing a Leafs' jersey? I've been to countless road games over the years going back to the 70s including belly(s) of the beast places like Madison Square Garden and Boston Garden -- I went for the game and not the spectacle and never had a problem. If you were going with buddies and didn't have an issue with the object of attention, then wearing the jersey would be a start but since you are with your son, make it his day and forget the jersey. Soapbox removed.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Can't speak for who you're sitting around, but if you don't do anything stupid you should be fine. If not, it's not like the ushers ignore it, they're told to assume Flyers fans start the fights.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I think you'll be fine but there's always the anticipation of the uncertainty. Just my two cents and at the risk of being overly preachy: if you are going with your son and he is a Flyers' fan, why bring the possible attention of wearing a Leafs' jersey? I've been to countless road games over the years going back to the 70s including belly(s) of the beast places like Madison Square Garden and Boston Garden -- I went for the game and not the spectacle and never had a problem. If you were going with buddies and didn't have an issue with the object of attention, then wearing the jersey would be a start but since you are with your son, make it his day and forget the jersey. Soapbox removed.
Yeah, this is how I feel about wearing your team's jersey to another arena. I just don't see the point, especially with your kid. You're just bringing unnecessary attention to yourself by wearing an opposing jersey.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:54 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, this is how I feel about wearing your team's jersey to another arena. I just don't see the point, especially with your kid. You're just bringing unnecessary attention to yourself by wearing an opposing jersey.
I don't see a problem with wearing an away teams jersey. If the man paid good money for the seats shouldn't he be able to enjoy the game and cheer for the team he enjoys? I just don't understand how some people can get their feathers all up in a ruffle from something a simple as cheering against your team. Rock your leafs jersey because I sure as hell rock my Flyers Jersey at the ACC every chance I get!

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:10 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Can't speak for who you're sitting around, but if you don't do anything stupid you should be fine. If not, it's not like the ushers ignore it, they're told to assume Flyers fans start the fights.
I am not sure what this means for the OP - cheer for his team, banter back with Philly fans - it's all in good fun - I've been to games with my Flyers jersey on in Van/ Edm/Cal - and I get heckled but I give it right back, it's all a laugh and bragging rights - maybe it's different up here?

I know how Philly fans have been dubbed the hardest in sports - hopefully the people you are sitting around aren't a bunch of ***** - b/c that's what they'd be for starting anything with you and your son there... classless really.

There is a difference about being a fan and a fanatic.

Wear the jersey and love every minute of it.

Let's Go Flyers!

edit: perhaps alot of people on the boards are 'younger' and lack proper respect without taking it too far...

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:18 PM
JCameron418

Better idea would be to just give up on the Leafs and start cheering for the Flyers. It would solve all your problems.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:54 PM
UseYourAllusion

Can we just get a sticky:

"Feel free to wear your opposing jersey, especially in the lower bowl, noone who doesn't go looking for a fight will get into a fight,"

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Jester

...the tickets are in the lower bowl.

You'll be fine.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:51 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
No problem with heckling and teasing, I'd just hate to put my kid in a position where he has to watch me fight over something stupid. Hell, the Leafs will probably lose anyway
The way they are playing, it doesnt look like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Better idea would be to just give up on the Leafs and start cheering for the Flyers. It would solve all your problems.
The Flyers havent won a cup in 35 years. Granted its better than 43 years but it certainly doesnt solve any problems.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
The Flyers havent won a cup in 35 years. Granted its better than 43 years but it certainly doesnt solve any problems.

wrong. it solves the "being a leafs fan" problem

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
wrong. it solves the "being a leafs fan" problem
2 (Stanley Cups) / 41 (seasons) = 0.05% chance of winning Stanley Cup
11 (Stanley Cups) / 82 (seasons) = 0.13% chance of winning Stanley Cup

25 (banners/championships) / 41 (seasons) = 0.61% chance of having a banner year
18 (banners/Championships) / 82 (seasons) = 0.22% chance of having a banner year

34 (playoff appearances) / 41 (seasons) = 0.83% chance of making playoffs
60 (playoff appearances) / 82 (seasons) = 0.73% chance of making playoffs

Old
10-17-2010, 11:25 PM
flyguys48*

I went to Flyers/leafs game in Philly last season, the place was crawling with blue. You may get humorously heckled but no one is going to start a fight with you.

flyguys48* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
I don't see a problem with wearing an away teams jersey. If the man paid good money for the seats shouldn't he be able to enjoy the game and cheer for the team he enjoys? I just don't understand how some people can get their feathers all up in a ruffle from something a simple as cheering against your team. Rock your leafs jersey because I sure as hell rock my Flyers Jersey at the ACC every chance I get!
I never said anything of this sort. I just said I don't know why someone would want to bring all that unnecessary attention to himself. I don't care if someone wears a jersey or not. I don't even own any jerseys.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

25 (banners/championships) / 41 (seasons) = 0.61% chance of having a banner year
18 (banners/Championships) / 82 (seasons) = 0.22% chance of having a banner year

you and i both know those are hack statistics, because the superiority that comes with being a flyers fan can not be quantified.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
you and i both know those are hack statistics, because the superiority that comes with being a flyers fan can not be quantified.
We win at everything except Stanley Cups, and even then, we did everything we did in a much harder era of hockey; the expansion era.

So yeah. I think the superiority is quantified fairly corrected.

Old
10-18-2010, 03:00 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
What's the point of watching the game live if you aren't going to cheer on your team? Wearing a jersey isn't necessary to do so, but I wouldn't fault anyone for standing up and cheering when their team scored... so if you're going to stand up and cheer, why not just wear the jersey, too, if you have one? Just don't be an ass.

I've worn my Flyers jersey in several opposition arenas and have never had a bad experience. Most of the places I've watched games, you're ignored; in most cities, everybody there cares more about what's happening on the ice than what colours are being worn by the fans beside them.

Philly's a different place, though. The reputation of being harsh on opposing fans is true, given my first experience there in June. We had four fans in our section, each with Patrick Kane shirts, who were constantly heckled every time they stood up. They took everything in stride and nothing came close to anything more than some verbal jibes.

My advice to the OP is wear the jersey, as long as you can take some verbal assaults thrown your way.... and try to avoid going to the bathroom for the duration of your time in the arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

The Flyers and Leafs should both pack it in if they have respective 0.83% and 0.73% chances of making the playoffs.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote