HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#5: Penguins @ Flyers - Saturday, Oct. 16, 2010 - 6:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevel View Post
You don't know why you are talking about. Cooke had 6 fighting majors last year alone.
Which is nothing considering how much of a d-bag he is on the ice.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:16 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This. If Matt Cooke dropped the gloves in proportion to the amount of times he is challeneged, he would have had at least 50 fighting majors last year.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevel View Post
You don't know why you are talking about. Cooke had 6 fighting majors last year alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
This. If Matt Cooke dropped the gloves in proportion to the amount of times he is challeneged, he would have had at least 50 fighting majors last year.
Exactly. Everyone thinks Cooke is a thug because he doesn't answer the bell. Even after the Savard hit he refused to take off his visor.

When you play like Cooke, you're supposed to back it up with you fists. He does not, which is why he is viewed as a cheap player.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:43 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
why should Richards fight Matt Cooke? He has nothing to gain from it. Cooke off the ice for 5 minutes, richards off the ice for 5 minutes=Huge advantage for Pittsburgh when the game is still on the line.
What i find funny is as an example, if Lappy were playing and dropped the gloves at that time it would have been great move, great timing, and what not. As i stated previously losing richards for 5 minutes is a win for the pens as he wont be on the ice for 5 minutes. This is when other players need to pick it up for Richards for trying to get the team back on track. Richards is one of 12 other forwards, if losing him for 5 minutes destroys your teams chances then you have much bigger issues.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:47 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
What i find funny is as an example, if Lappy were playing and dropped the gloves at that time it would have been great move, great timing, and what not. As i stated previously losing richards for 5 minutes is a win for the pens as he wont be on the ice for 5 minutes. This is when other players need to pick it up for Richards for trying to get the team back on track. Richards is one of 12 other forwards, if losing him for 5 minutes destroys your teams chances then you have much bigger issues.
there is a reason why teams best players dont drop the gloves with the other teams cheap players like Cooke. You think Crosby would drop em with Carcillo?

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:56 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
there is a reason why teams best players dont drop the gloves with the other teams cheap players like Cooke. You think Crosby would drop em with Carcillo?
Your missing the point. Richards doesnt have to fight all the time nor should he. He should pick his spots. Yesterday was one of those spots imo. Cindy doesnt fight and never will. Fighting is part of Richards game. Dont compare cindy to Richards either. Richards is a very good player. When Richards wins a mvp, a cup and has multiple 100 point seasons then he can be compared to cindy.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Your missing the point. Richards doesnt have to fight all the time nor should he. He should pick his spots. Yesterday was one of those spots imo. Cindy doesnt fight and never will. Fighting is part of Richards game. Dont compare cindy to Richards either. Richards is a very good player. When Richards wins a mvp, a cup and has multiple 100 point seasons then he can be compared to cindy.
Richards is one of our three best players. We have other guys on the team who are here for fighting.

If a game is on the line, I would rather have Richards on the ice trying to score, not sitting in the box for fighting. And if you would rather have one of your best players in the box trying to send a message instead of being on the ice trying to win, then you're an idiot.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:28 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Richards is one of our three best players. We have other guys on the team who are here for fighting.

If a game is on the line, I would rather have Richards on the ice trying to score, not sitting in the box for fighting. And if you would rather have one of your best players in the box trying to send a message instead of being on the ice trying to win, then you're an idiot.
Where did i say i wouldnt want Richards on the ice when the game is on the line? I dont recall making that statement, maybe because i never did. Just to clue you in, the game wasnt on the line when him and cooke were talking. They had the whole 3rd period. If they cant withstand the loss of Richards (they absolutely can)for 5 minutes than they dont desrve to win anyway. Try again.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:30 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Yeah, that would be almost as crazy as Gaborik dropping them with Carcillo.
Agreed. And I'm pretty sure Flyers fans were thrilled with that tradeoff. A role player taking a top player off the ice for 5 makes sense. But not if it's your team's top player doing the sitting.

Richards will drop the gloves, when he feels it's the right time. He's also learned that he's more valuable on the ice, unless there is a really good reason to drop 'em. He's an idiot if he takes on a player like Cooke.

But I'm curious NWO - if Richards were to have "answered the bell" (for what, I have no freakin' idea, but that's beside the point) and he got hurt during the fight, would you still consider it a good idea to have fought a nobody?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
there is nothing to gain at all by dropping the gloves with Cooke, unless you are Carcillo or Hartnell. Richards needs to be on the ice. he shouldnt be sitting in the box in a trade off with Cooke.
Bottom line is our best players again werent good enough. Everyone needs to be better. No time to panic by any means 5 games into the season

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
OK guys, if you don't like someone put them on ignore. If that's not enough, pretend it's not happening. It's only the internet.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Is it just me or does our team look very lost, even outside of the PP?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:01 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Is it just me or does our team look very lost, even outside of the PP?
There are definitely some chemistry issues. Not like, unsolvable rift in the locker room stuff...but there are some things that need to be worked out, for sure.

Old
10-17-2010, 04:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
There are definitely some chemistry issues. Not like, unsolvable rift in the locker room stuff...but there are some things that need to be worked out, for sure.
Do you think for the next long break they have to go do what Stevens did that one year? Those the trust camp or whatnot somewhere in the middle of nowhere?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:04 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Do you think for the next long break they have to go do what Stevens did that one year? Those the trust camp or whatnot somewhere in the middle of nowhere?
Honestly that was one of Stevens' techniques that I really liked. I did similar stuff on a few of my teams over the years and it really, really builds chemistry in a big way.

It couldn't hurt.

Old
10-17-2010, 04:10 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Honestly that was one of Stevens' techniques that I really liked. I did similar stuff on a few of my teams over the years and it really, really builds chemistry in a big way.

It couldn't hurt.
Issue isn't locker room chemistry, it's that our lines don't work.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Issue isn't locker room chemistry, it's that our lines don't work.
I think it's a combination of things.

If you have really good locker room chemistry, sometimes it makes it easier for guys to get to know each other and deal with shifting position better. See: RJ Umberger, Scottie Upshall, Lupul, that team while it was together. Those guys were all very comfortable with each other and could shift around on a whim.

Granted, it mostly has to do with that player's abilities, but I think part of what's happening with the lines not working is that some guys don't know/trust each other yet, or aren't quite on the same page to where guys are able to play out of position and adapt.

Old
10-17-2010, 05:18 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I think it's a combination of things.

If you have really good locker room chemistry, sometimes it makes it easier for guys to get to know each other and deal with shifting position better. See: RJ Umberger, Scottie Upshall, Lupul, that team while it was together. Those guys were all very comfortable with each other and could shift around on a whim.

Granted, it mostly has to do with that player's abilities, but I think part of what's happening with the lines not working is that some guys don't know/trust each other yet, or aren't quite on the same page to where guys are able to play out of position and adapt.
Richards and Carter are the best of friends by all accounts but the chemistry isn't there so I don't think that being comfortable with each other holds much merit. I think they've had a number of changes in personnel and the problem with too many centres is also causing them to press too much.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
you can tell Richards wanted to say something about tonites officiating but couldnt..
"it's tough when you're playing pittsburgh, because you know they'll be falling pretty easy"

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Garbage Goal

Another concern is the goaltending. I know we have Bob right now and everyone is hoping for the best, but even assuming that he's good enough to stay up with us, he can't handle a full season starter's load and Leighton will come back eventually anyways. So, somewhere down the line, goaltending is going to be a major issue again.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Another concern is the goaltending. I know we have Bob right now and everyone is hoping for the best, but even assuming that he's good enough to stay up with us, he can't handle a full season starter's load and Leighton will come back eventually anyways. So, somewhere down the line, goaltending is going to be a major issue again.
Their gonna need to pick a goalie soon and just go with him. We arent going to go out and get another goalie, I think everyone knows that. The thing is though, switching Bob and Boosh every other game is going to put us in a hole. Goalies need to get into a rhythm while playing, and switching them constantly is going to kill that.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Jer Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
As a side note, I'm really really surprised no people are taking like any liberties on Crosby. Downie's kneelock being the very only thing coming to my mind right now.
When you pull off something dirty on Crosby, you know it'll get analyzed very hard and that they'll try to squeeze a suspension out of it.

Jer Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 07:12 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer Flip View Post
When you pull off something dirty on Crosby, you know it'll get analyzed very hard and that they'll try to squeeze a suspension out of it.
There's always some lunatic in any league that just can't take the fact he can't keep up with the better one and does something stupid.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Kaktus*

If Flyers take that many penalties next game, Ducks can score 5-6 PP goals.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:15 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer Flip View Post
the league sent out a memo to all teams letting htem know the consequences will be severe if anyone hits crosby.