HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hooliganism by Ranger Fans

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2010, 11:07 PM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
http://www.madisonsquaregardentickets.net/information

"In days gone by, the Garden was notorious for the outbreaks of violence in the crowd, particularly during New York Rangers games. The ushers working Rangers games had a noted bias: They would allow New Yorkers to land a few free kicks or punches on the opposition, before these hapless visitors were dragged off and probably kicked out onto the streets of Manhattan.
These days, the venue has recovered to a large extent, with the denizens of the 400 level the one remaining section responsible for antagonizing visiting fans with chants and songs. The 400 level, once known as the "blue seats" still attracts working-class New Yorkers, who love nothing more than a rowdy night out at the game."

Old
10-17-2010, 11:11 PM
nyrmetros

Doing a quick search on google I found several references to the legend of the blueseats and NYR supporters. Any opposing fan who mouths off upstairs is going to face a negative reaction whether you or I disapprove of it or not. It is what it is. The atmosphere in the 400s helps sell tickets. Season ticket holders were given "I am the blueseats" t-shirts last year i think. Amongst hockey fans and NYR fans, there is a lot of pride with being labeled a "blue seater".

Old
10-17-2010, 11:12 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
I was sitting in 409 and one of the guys that stands behind the section started verbally abusing the three Leaf fans that were sitting next to me. The only thing these three young men did was stand up and cheer for their team when the Leafs scored. They were very friendly and polite the whole game.

Some the same morons that were trying to stir it up with these Leaf fans also booed the Canadian National Anthem. A bunch of us starting signing O Canada as loud as we could. I guess that makes us Un-American.

If people in 409 read this, they know the guy leading the abuse to whom I am refering. I like a couple of the guys he hangs out. I even turned and asked them politely to tone it down. What he (they) were doing was uncalled for. As far as the man and his wife in 408, what would he gain by lying?

I hope you all realize that the Garden can revoke your seats at any time if they feel you are behaving badly and you are being abusive to anyone, Ranger fan or visitor.

No one deserves to be taunted, cursed at and have things thrown at them. The mob mentality needs to stop. It's a hockey game not a street fight.
I've seriously had enough of your complaining. I'm not reading this thread anymore, nor am I responding to any of your posts. I think I, along with the rest of this board, have told you our thoughts and why you are wrong here.

Have a nice night.

10-17-2010, 11:15 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
And this leads me to believe the OP of this thread has never been to an arena other than MSG, because it happens EVERYWHERE and she is targeting and accusing ONLY ranger fans.
I have been to Detroit, Washington, Buffalo, Montreal and LA and worn my jersey, cheered for the Rangers and was never bothered. I was only ever hassled in Nassau and the old Swamp.

Conclusion: NY Metro area hockey fans behave badly.

I've been watching and attending hockey games for over 40 years. Abuse and violence crosses the line. There should be zero tolerance.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
I have been to Detroit, Washington, Buffalo, Montreal and LA and worn my jersey, cheered for the Rangers and was never bothered. I was only ever hassled in Nassau and the old Swamp.

Conclusion: NY Metro area hockey fans behave badly.

I've been watching and attending hockey games for over 40 years. Abuse and violence crosses the line. There should be zero tolerance.
I may be wrong but I think someone in this thread mentioned you're a woman. That may have a lot to do with your experiences at NYR games on the road. If the Leafs fan you talk about so lovingly throughout this thread happened to be a woman would the same have happened? No, I think the NYR fans you hate so much have a little more class than you give them credit for.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:57 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Hi all, Devils fan coming in peace. I ask that if you're going to kick me out, I'd actually prefer to be moved downstairs, I hear the view is better.

I've been to a few Rangers-Devils games at MSG, usually the cheapest seats I can get on StubHub or 409 with my buddy who is a Rangers fan. Mind you, I don't wear a jersey, maybe just a hat if I'm that daring. But I act respectful, and I get small crap like every other away fan gets crap at every other arena (a few silly insults, maybe some popcorn), I just smile and laugh it off and it usually goes away. Never had an incident there.

I think that if an opposing fan sits in the cheaper seats, they're going to get more crap. Think about it: the regulars sit there because they're diehard and that's the only way you can afford it. Some like to bring it on themselves. The first game we had Kovalchuk after the last trade deadline at Newark, three very drunk Leafs fans were starting crap all game. Now my team doesn't exactly have a rivalry with them, and I don't think you guys do either. So no one was really starting with them, but they still got tanked and made too much noise. They got some insults in return but nothing huge, and of course I layed into them after we won in the last 20 seconds of the game, but yeah. You get some extra fun if you're a little louder at an away game. It's healthy. Home fans are cheering for their team and against the other team. You and they identify with their team.

There do have to be certain levels of restraint. I grew up in Jersey (which is why I'm a Devils fan) but was raised a fan of New York sports. I'm a diehard Yankees fan and Giants fan. So naturally, I HATE Boston, every team. I don't know if they have an MLS team, but if they do, **** that team. So when I go to a Devils - Boston game, I tend to get a little louder than usual on opposing fans. Last time, I sat next to a family of Bruins fans - Mom, Dad, and tiny 5yrs-old-ish daughter with a "Go Tuuka!" sign. How am I supposed to trash talk a 5 year old? If it were a guy my age with that sign, okay fine. But a little girl? Decency goes a long way.

I ventured over here because I saw the headline while scrolling over to my team's board and it screamed "read me". So as I read it I texted my buddy who always has tickets in 409 (I think he's a STH) and asked, and he said more or less what I've been reading - Leafs fan got rowdy and things happened.

What I'm trying to get at here is that I've seen this same situation happen thousands of times at various arenas and it's really really not a big deal. And you guys have some really fun upper-deck seats.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:08 AM
ThisYearsModel

The worst place to wear my Rangers gear has always been Philadelphia. After that, the Meadowlands Arena and the Nassau Mausoleum. That is where the most abuse is handed out to the visitors. Used to be that if one dared to wear the Red Wings gear in Colorado, or vice versa, it could get rough but that rivalry has died down a lot. I would imagine that Edmonton-Calgary could be dicey. The Garden has eliminated most of the abuse with the no-nonsense policy of the ushers. Hurts the atmosphere, but it is surely safer than it used to be.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:36 AM
UPR

i'm a leaf fan, i went to the Consol Energy Centre game against the penguins, i had a beer and popcorn thrown at me, i didn't even think about it until i saw this post.

welcome to civilization. sack up.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:41 AM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
Quote:
I was appalled by the behavior I saw from some Ranger fans last night toward Leaf fans in the crowd.

A man and his wife were literally driven from section 408 by the boorish behavior of some fans in that section. A loud mouth in 409 was ragging on Leafs fans next to me for no other reason then they got up to cheer a Leaf goal.

If we, all Ranger fans, let this behavior continue we will get a worse reputation around the league then we already have. Do we really want to lower ourselves to the behavior we have experienced in places like Philadelphia, New Jersey and on the Island?

I am a Ranger. We are all Rangers. If we behave badly it reflects on us, our sections and the New York Rangers Hockey Club. If we accept the bad behavior of those around us we are just as guilty as the perpetrators.

If you see something, say something. Call security. Be part of the solution, not the problem. Bad behavior by any fan toward another is unacceptable.

Let's show some class.
Really man? Do you honestly think it would be any different in Toronto. I would expect the same treatment. Its hockey the fans are hostile thats the way it goes im not saying anyone should start fights for no reason but if you come to our house and start cheering in my face when my team is losing im not gonna sit there and just take it.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:44 AM
TriFF51
USA Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom122205 View Post
thats why this is hockey, not dance class. when i wear my rangers jersey to the colliseum i know what im in for, and ive been in more than one altercation as a result of it... but thats what i expect. i think ranger fans are getting too soft. i seen a guy in preseason at the rangers senators game running around the entire ARENA,after the senators scored, dressed as a senator with a mock stanley cup in his hands mocking ranger fans. if i was a couple years younger i wouldve taken care of it myself. its embarrasing sometimes....the garden is turning into the opera.
I was at that game too haha...i watched him go around and he was stopped at one point by two guys that tried to steal the cup from him....all i kno is, we won the game!

Old
10-18-2010, 12:51 AM
GarretJoseph*

I know the guys that laid out the abuse and I have to say besides one, they wouldn't ever dream of doing it without beer in them or if they weren't sitting at home (MSG) with thousands of other Ranger fans and a group of friends to help support.

Did the Leaf fans deserve it? Yup.
Do all fans deserve it? Nope.

It all depends on how they act.

Lets put it this way, if your wife/girlfriend brings a friend or co-worker home who happens to be a guy and hes disrespectful in YOUR HOUSE, do you sit back and do nothing? Didn't think so. Yes, I'm comparing Rangers to Relationships cause that's what I have with them.

Old
10-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Pizza

End of story.

-30-

Closed Thread