HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-16-10 - Capitals @ Preds - "The Underdog"

Old
10-17-2010, 03:12 AM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

vCash: 500
Totally did not deserve that win. Neuvy stood on his head. Weber for the norris! Ovechkin got lucky several times after he snuck behind him.

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
He actually played a considerable amount of time with Wilson/Goc instead of Belak. Belak only played 3 minutes. Hopefully his foot gets healed soon, though.

Speaking of Wilson, seemed like his ice time was pretty low. I guess it's just because he doesn't play on any special teams. I dunno why Trotz is holding him back. I suppose Lombardi being out is also affecting his ice time.
Not sure why Trotz is holding him back either! The kid is setting up plays, winning battles on the boards consistantly, and defensively has looked solid. 1 goal, 2 assists with average 12 minutes of ice time.
Thought for sure once Lombardi and Erat were out, he would get some powerplay. Not happening.
Who knows.
Cal was solid the first three games. Last night, in what was his worst game ( 6 point blank chances), he get over 22 minutes of ice.
Tootoo, who I am not a huge fan of, had a great outing. He brought a ton of energy and actually looked like he was making plays!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:01 AM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
That was a legit call on Suter. Ovechkin caught him flat footed and Suter tried to make a good play but failed. Suter was furious at himself in the box
He got the puck first. Bad call, especially at that point of the game. That's why he was mad.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:12 AM
lstcyr

Anyone else hear the Caps announcers say they talked to Trotz and he told them he was just rolling lines for the power play without two specific units? I caught it on CSN here in northern Virginia.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:06 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Missed the game which sucked because I really wanted to see how Lindbäck was playing. How has he looked so far?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Missed the game which sucked because I really wanted to see how Lindbäck was playing. How has he looked so far?
Like a rookie, gives up some rebounds but he has some real potential.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:10 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Anyone else hear the Caps announcers say they talked to Trotz and he told them he was just rolling lines for the power play without two specific units? I caught it on CSN here in northern Virginia.
Yeah, good move. Preds 5 on 5 last year were good but PP was God awful.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Webersmashpuck

With the hit that Letang had and got thrown out for the other day we should have had a 5 minute PP and Backstrom should have been out for the game. Even worse the refs started calling borderline calls on us. Both Weber and Suter should not have gotten penalties.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:42 AM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
thought we were in trouble when we failed on the 5-on-3 in the first.

should have been up 2-0 or 3-0 after one.

Which is why I felt like we should have tried to capitalize on more 5 on 3 time but I understand that while we had possession of the puck we wanted to keep the momentum going. From what I saw, we could have gotten about 15-20 extra seconds of 5 on 3.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:53 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I preset the 3rd period of the NSH v. WSH game as a prime example of a team just running out of gas. They just looked dead and 3 games in 4 days will do that to you. Also noted that when Goc got hurt the team didn't play all that well afterwards.

SK I didn't think played all that well. I saw him firing a lot of shots point blank into the goalie.

Franson.....Yeah, he's an offensive defenseman but with Weber and Suter being used a lot he saw more time and he was abused. I wonder if Nashville were to put him on waivers he would be claimed?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:58 AM
trevorbird

Franson would get claimed immediately if he was put on waivers.

trevorbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:02 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I preset the 3rd period of the NSH v. WSH game as a prime example of a team just running out of gas. They just looked dead and 3 games in 4 days will do that to you. Also noted that when Goc got hurt the team didn't play all that well afterwards.

SK I didn't think played all that well. I saw him firing a lot of shots point blank into the goalie.

Franson.....Yeah, he's an offensive defenseman but with Weber and Suter being used a lot he saw more time and he was abused. I wonder if Nashville were to put him on waivers he would be claimed?
would be nice to see Sulzer for a game or two... not very happy with Franson or Cube right now, although could just be Cube is playing too many minutes and would be just fine on the 3rd pairing.... some of those 23mins Cube got last night need to go to SOB - only played 12 1/2.....

but yes, there are several teams I would imagine snatch him up in a heartbeat - in fact, we've played 3 of them.....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:34 PM
jlsg

Don't know if Franson would get claimed or not. O'Brien and Sulzer didn't. Unless something changes I'm not sure that I care if he does. He was scary to watch last night.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:49 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 900
dont blame Cube, he plays with Klein.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:57 PM
kivaerijo

first off..weber played tremendous against ovechkin! held him to barely any shots at all.

second..i always thought i like ovechkin better than crosby, but man does ovechkin cheery pick, and i saw 3-4 plays that if ovechkin was to give 2% more effort defensively, preds wouldnt have had scoring chance at all. will hold judgement until thursday, but i think crosby is now ahead on my list.

play on goc was an awful lot like ovechkin's play on campbell last year. nothing will come of it because it wasnt a star player that got hurt and it was a nashville player. if that was a canucks/redwing/maple leafs game, there would have been a huge thread about it. rediculous that it was just 2 minutes

tootoo with maybe the game of his career..good for him.

after two periods..i was amazed at how well we were playing. then the third happened, and looked like they were gassed. with about 10% more effort in the third, we would have had that game. just dont think the team had anything left.

not blaming it on SOB, but if he didnt try to make that hail mary pass to horny after their line was chasing for a minute, icing wouldnt have happened, and that first goal from washington wouldnt have happened. it happens though.

really wasnt overly impressed with capitals. their goalie however made some great stops.

wish we could get healthy, because there is defintely some chemistry going on, it would be good to have everyone to get it all together.

and there was some coyotes (rooting for caps, and from kentucky) fan last night that was calling play by play...terribly i might add. was too interested in talking about him being the only coyotes fan in the building (duh?) to notice anything..until ovechkin had the puck. called paul out for saying it was a five on three PP for us. "there is only i guy in the box. their announcer is a tard". was busy talking to his friend about his coyotes jersey to notice that the five on three was only for like 30 seconds.

sorry about that last part..just needed to vent. hate when fans from other teams chat the entire game just to make it seem like they know the game.

and what was with all the cap fans? fan trip? that many people in town that are cap fans? cant be nashvillians that just jumped on ovechkin band wagon can it?

hate to give up that point, because we should have had two. but one is good i guess.

any news on goc?

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 06:14 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:

I think the Preds WERE gassed in the 3rd for several reasons-- Line juggling required when Goc went down, 3 games in 4 days as you mention, and the wall blistering speech I suspect the Caps endured in the 2nd intermission, since they came out playing at a much higher pace. Or maybe they had planned to kick into high gear in the 3rd all along knowing the Preds would be tired, but I seriously doubt that as they know they where outmatched on Defense and at least even on goaltending.

SK's skating was improved from last game but he was still ineffective for the most part.

Like many of you I have noticed when Franson gets double teamed he will sometimes panic and make a bad play. No doubt other teams have noticed this also and that is why we see this happening so often now. He needs to get his head on straight and make a smart play with the puck no matter what. It is his freaking job-- he cashes those checks, man up and make some simple and smart plays. Last night was brutal for Cody.

As for the penalty on Suter in OT, I am not convinced on that. Suter and Ovi are tied up with each other. Suter is reaching for the puck with his stick. Yes, he is kinda reaching with his free arm. But he is not manipulating Ovi with that arm. Is that a call you make in regulation, yes. But when the game is on the line, when raising that arm most likely decides the outcome? I don't think it was that definitive. Just my opinion.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 06:16 PM
cleangene

I've seen at least 2 hawk fans in their jerseys at every home game so far, including pre-season. When the PREDS win the CUP, guess we can parade around in non-applicable areas as well (of course, I never saw them at non-hawks games in the previous 5 years I've been coming to games for some strange reason).

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Wow....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:35 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbird View Post
Franson would get claimed immediately if he was put on waivers.
+1

He wouldn't make it past the first team able to put in a claim.....

I didn't get to see the 3rd period last night but I thought Franson has been better than expected in the first 3 games.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:58 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Franson played alright i really had no complaints about him but the caps offense is good at making defensemen look weak (Suter did get beat by Ovechkin in OT and did what he had to do but resulted in a penalty, still might not have been the right call but whatever) but as a team we took penalties at bad times including Weber, Suter, Franson, etc.....Klein played a really good game tho IMO. Not only disciplined but was getting physical. Did ya'll see that hip check on Semin? D*** that was clean

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:38 PM
glenngineer

We had all the momentum and couldn't convert on our PP. We score on the PP we're more than likely up 3 or 4-0 and the game is over. That's why the two goal lead is the hardest to defend. Oh well. Fun entertaining game to watch. 7 out of 8 points to start the season, can't complain about that.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:09 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle13 View Post
Franson played alright i really had no complaints about him but the caps offense is good at making defensemen look weak (Suter did get beat by Ovechkin in OT and did what he had to do but resulted in a penalty, still might not have been the right call but whatever) but as a team we took penalties at bad times including Weber, Suter, Franson, etc.....Klein played a really good game tho IMO. Not only disciplined but was getting physical. Did ya'll see that hip check on Semin? D*** that was clean
yes, that hit was nice, but i wouldnt say klein played a really good game. check that..they all played well for 40 minutes. but not many played well the last 20. klein included. saw him loafing into corners or skating back to get pucks, which led to capitals seeing the loaf, out hustling klein, and making plays becuz of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We had all the momentum and couldn't convert on our PP. We score on the PP we're more than likely up 3 or 4-0 and the game is over. That's why the two goal lead is the hardest to defend. Oh well. Fun entertaining game to watch. 7 out of 8 points to start the season, can't complain about that.
yep..yep..and yep

Old
10-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
yes, that hit was nice, but i wouldnt say klein played a really good game. check that..they all played well for 40 minutes. but not many played well the last 20. klein included. saw him loafing into corners or skating back to get pucks, which led to capitals seeing the loaf, out hustling klein, and making plays becuz of it.
Klein and Bouillon spent a fair share of time in the final two periods against the OV line (not more than Suter/Weber, but more than I expected) and for the night finished as with the top two Corsi ratings for our defensemen (as a matter of fact the only two positives). Klein finished with a +5, Bouillon +3. Weber was even (0) and Suter a -3. Franson tied for team worst -8 (with Sullivan), but O'Brien was only -1.

Legwand's line was outstanding all night against OV. By far our best line at both ends of the rink. Ward finished a team best +7, Tootoo a +6, and Legwand a +5. By comparison, Ovechkin finished a -8, Backstrom a -5, and Knuble a -1.

Game stats available here:
http://timeonice.com/shots1011.php?gamenumber=20060

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:53 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
The team played so well for 2 periods. Better than I expected but the way it ended was so disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
play on goc was an awful lot like ovechkin's play on campbell last year. nothing will come of it because it wasnt a star player that got hurt and it was a nashville player. if that was a canucks/redwing/maple leafs game, there would have been a huge thread about it. rediculous that it was just 2 minutes

tootoo with maybe the game of his career..good for him.
Tootoo was on a mission last night, he was flying all over the ice. And the play he made to keep the puck in on his own goal was great.

I expect to see no discipline on Backstrom. Why would there be? Goc plays for Nashville on the 3rd line, didn't stay down and Backstrom is a top line player and Ovie's teammate. Trotz is right, he should have been out of the game. If that only got a 2 minute penalty, then there is no way Suter should have been called in OT, but hey OV falls it's of course a penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo
and there was some coyotes (rooting for caps, and from kentucky) fan last night that was calling play by play...terribly i might add. was too interested in talking about him being the only coyotes fan in the building (duh?) to notice anything..until ovechkin had the puck. called paul out for saying it was a five on three PP for us. "there is only i guy in the box. their announcer is a tard". was busy talking to his friend about his coyotes jersey to notice that the five on three was only for like 30 seconds.

sorry about that last part..just needed to vent. hate when fans from other teams chat the entire game just to make it seem like they know the game.
At the game in the row behind me there were 5 people, mid 20's. There were 2 guys and 3 girls. One girl had a Preds Tshirt on and the rest just had regular clothes. They were loud and when the 4 talked it was obvious they were not from TN or the south. When the Preds scored the other 4 started booing this girl. I mean in her face, pointing and booing her. And when the Caps scored the guys stood up and semi-cheered (they weren't caps fans, just rooting against the Preds). They kept dropping the f-bomb even with kids around them. And the one guy kept yelling every 5 minutes to bring out the zamboni and kept asking if certain plays were legal (like catching a puck and dropping it down and playing it). But of course the best part of the night was people kept telling them to shut up because every time the crowd started a "Let's Go Predators", the 2 guys would start chanting....Leeet's gooo Reeed Wiiiings. Yeah.

It's ok to go to games not being a fan of either team, but you don't have to be an *******.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Klein and Bouillon spent a fair share of time in the final two periods against the OV line (not more than Suter/Weber, but more than I expected) and for the night finished as with the top two Corsi ratings for our defensemen (as a matter of fact the only two positives). Klein finished with a +5, Bouillon +3. Weber was even (0) and Suter a -3. Franson tied for team worst -8 (with Sullivan), but O'Brien was only -1.

Legwand's line was outstanding all night against OV. By far our best line at both ends of the rink. Ward finished a team best +7, Tootoo a +6, and Legwand a +5. By comparison, Ovechkin finished a -8, Backstrom a -5, and Knuble a -1.

Game stats available here:
http://timeonice.com/shots1011.php?gamenumber=20060
yeah, dont like the corsi i am thinking. it doesnt show the whole truth i think. im gonna start my own rating, the loaf rating. klein might have been best on ice as far as allowing shots and such, and i dont have a fancy website to support my opinion just yet, but in that last period, he was also best in impersonating arnott (last years arnott).