HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Question re: Flyers vs Leafs

Old
10-18-2010, 03:08 AM
Bort Sampson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
2 (Stanley Cups) / 41 (seasons) = 0.05% chance of winning Stanley Cup
11 (Stanley Cups) / 82 (seasons) = 0.13% chance of winning Stanley Cup

25 (banners/championships) / 41 (seasons) = 0.61% chance of having a banner year
18 (banners/Championships) / 82 (seasons) = 0.22% chance of having a banner year

34 (playoff appearances) / 41 (seasons) = 0.83% chance of making playoffs
60 (playoff appearances) / 82 (seasons) = 0.73% chance of making playoffs
You need to move those decimal places over.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:12 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
2 (Stanley Cups) / 41 (seasons) = 0.05% chance of winning Stanley Cup
11 (Stanley Cups) / 82 (seasons) = 0.13% chance of winning Stanley Cup

25 (banners/championships) / 41 (seasons) = 0.61% chance of having a banner year
18 (banners/Championships) / 82 (seasons) = 0.22% chance of having a banner year

34 (playoff appearances) / 41 (seasons) = 0.83% chance of making playoffs
60 (playoff appearances) / 82 (seasons) = 0.73% chance of making playoffs
Those are quite terribly made statistics simply because of the difference of the conditions. It is probably a whole lot easier to win the Stanley Cup in a 6 team league than in a 12 team league.

Any statistical measurements must start in 1967, when the Flyers entered the league. Anything before that can not possibly count because the Flyers wouldn't be able to accomplish what the Leafs did in that time period because they didn't exist yet.

That being said, counting from 1967 the Flyers annihilate the Leafs in any statistical category, I'm sure.

Last edited by chaosof99*: 10-18-2010 at 03:18 AM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:33 AM
chaosof99*

Yay, stats 1967-2010:

CategoryLeafsFlyers
Stanley Cups02
Conference championships08
Division championships115
Playoff series won1739
Reached playoffs2634
Wins13981662
Losses14861153
Ties383457
Overtime/Shootout losses7570

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 05:19 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
My 12 year old son (huge Flyers fan) and I (huge Leafs fan) will be attending the game on Sat. the 23rd. I scored some nice seats from a guy at work (Sec 107 Row 3)
as past of my son's birthday gift.

My question is this: The kid will be decked in all his Flyers finest (complete with a poster he made) I'd like to wear my Leafs jersey but I've been warned not to by some folks. I don't have a big problem throwing down if the situation warrants it but should I really worry about having to duke it out with someone over a hockey jersey while I'm out for a night with my son? I realize no one can give a definitive answer but I thought I'd throw the question out there for those who might have a better read on the climate at Flyers games.
Back to the OP's Question, Your in the lower bowl, all the fighting and rowdiness typically occurs in the nose-bleed's if anywhere. Of course no one can guarantee anything, but the possibility of anything escalating farther then some choice words for you is slim to none. Depending on your kid's age you may want to buy some ear-muffs

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 07:30 AM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Back to the OP's Question, Your in the lower bowl, all the fighting and rowdiness typically occurs in the nose-bleed's if anywhere. Of course no one can guarantee anything, but the possibility of anything escalating farther then some choice words for you is slim to none. Depending on your kid's age you may want to buy some ear-muffs
I doubt he'll hear anything he hasn't already heard come out of my mouth.

Thanks to all who answered, you make some good arguments for wearing/not wearing the jersey. Those who suggested I become a Flyers fan, well I did root for them during the Cup Finals back in '74 and '75 but that's about the extent of it...

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Those are quite terribly made statistics simply because of the difference of the conditions. It is probably a whole lot easier to win the Stanley Cup in a 6 team league than in a 12 team league.

Any statistical measurements must start in 1967, when the Flyers entered the league. Anything before that can not possibly count because the Flyers wouldn't be able to accomplish what the Leafs did in that time period because they didn't exist yet.

That being said, counting from 1967 the Flyers annihilate the Leafs in any statistical category, I'm sure.
They were a joke. I wasn't trying to make some great point with those stats. Of course they are flawed, but I'm glad people are pointing that out to me.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:36 AM
SilkyMitts

as long as you dont act like the obnoxious penguins fans did on saturday - youll be fine. I watched what looked like a boyfriend and girlfriend decked out in penguins gear stand up and taunt flyers fans after the pens scored the third goal. security walked down to remove the couple, the girlfriend refused to get up, and as that was happening, a flyers fan poured beer all over the boyfriend who was still facing the crowd and pointing at his penguins shirt. lesson: show respect, receive respect.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:44 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcillosMustache View Post
as long as you dont act like the obnoxious penguins fans did on saturday - youll be fine. I watched what looked like a boyfriend and girlfriend decked out in penguins gear stand up and taunt flyers fans after the pens scored the third goal. security walked down to remove the couple, the girlfriend refused to get up, and as that was happening, a flyers fan poured beer all over the boyfriend who was still facing the crowd and pointing at his penguins shirt. lesson: show respect, receive respect.
They deserved beer dumped on them.

"Show respect, receive respect" is probably the best lesson anyone can take into any arena regardless of team or sporting event.

I'm not saying be completely humble and quiet if you're winning, but standing up and taunting thousands of people at once isn't the brightest thing to do.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote