HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs should have kept Guy Boucher

Old
10-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Or maybe he did it because he knew he'd get fired soon and/or because he'd rather be a coach than a GM.

Saying that Martin came to Montreal to be the GM could have made sense before Gauthier became GM. But since Martin was not named GM after Gainey, it's fair to say that he didn't come here for the GM job.

How are things going well?

The Habs can't even beat teams like Buffalo and Ottawa, who are off to awful starts, by more than a goal. And if it wasn't for Price playing outstanding hockey, something Martin has no control over, we'd have lost the first three games and by more than one goal. Instead, we won one the game against Pittsburgh (by a goal) and lost the ones against Tampa and Toronto (again, by one goal each). To be fair, the game against Toronto wasn't that bad... but the team still couldn't score.

I understand that Markov is out, but it's about damn time for the coach to find a way around relying on Markov and goaltending for everything.
So what about the Caps who needed overtime to beat Nashville,Ottawa and only a 2-1 win against the Islanders?Comon a win is a win it's rare you see nowadays some 4-5 goals margin,most games are close,there will be many 1 goal games this year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:38 AM
llamateizer

vCash: 500
we signed him 3-4 years.
so yeah fire him after 1 season
i think we're still paying Carbonneau?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
I know Boucher is good, but what were they supposed to do? Fire Martin after being the 27th team out. Life don`t work that way.

Their having a good start also, let`s give them time.
The position of assistant-GM was still available at the time.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
For who? JM? He left a GM job in Florida to get back behind the bench. Might as well just sack him.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:58 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
you prefer to be Assistant GM or Coach?

1- GM
1- Coach
3- Assistant GM

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:58 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

The Habs have had a long line of rookie coaches in and out of Montreal for a while now. They finally hire an experienced guy who goes to the conference finals with us in his first year and people want to fire him for a guy who hasn't coached a game in the NHL yet

Montreal comes out of this looking great imo, Boucher gets to cut his teeth in another organization, learn the ropes, and come home when his deal is done. I am sure he wouldn't forget the Habs good will for allowing him to leave and if he bombs in Tampa with all that talent than you know he wouldn't have succeeded here anyway.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:01 AM
la25ecoupe

Detroit let Yzerman go too..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
The Habs have had a long line of rookie coaches in and out of Montreal for a while now. They finally hire an experienced guy who goes to the conference finals with us in his first year and people want to fire him for a guy who hasn't coached a game in the NHL yet

Montreal comes out of this looking great imo, Boucher gets to cut his teeth in another organization, learn the ropes, and come home when his deal is done. I am sure he wouldn't forget the Habs good will for allowing him to leave and if he bombs in Tampa with all that talent than you know he wouldn't have succeeded here anyway.
This first part is the best point of all...

To the second part, not so sure. If he happens to get let go the same summer Montreal needs a new head coach, sure he's a candidate, but I doubt he walks out on Tampa to come back at the first opportunity.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Ok, time to use the little ''x''.

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

I don't see what's wrong with having an experienced guy like Martin behind the bench. In Montreal, the coach comes right behind the GM and Goalie in terms of who faces the most scrutiny. I don't see how experience doesn't help, especially considering Boucher has never coached players at this level before. I would imagine it might be tough for him when the going gets tough, especially considering he's only got 3 years on Martin St. Louis as the oldest guy in the locker room. Things are looking good in Tampa now, but a season is about managing peaks and valleys and it will be tougher for Guy to do that in the pros than in the Q and AHL.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:23 AM
shutehinside

Jeese, thank god Martin coached us to the ECF last year. Can you imagine if we lost in the 1st round how much of a stink it would be right now?

We have 7 of 10 points and could easily be 5-0 and you're all STILL *****ing?! WTF is wrong with you guys? Why can't Habs fans just be content with the team we have rather than constantly wanted to make ridiculous trades for players/coaches/GM's/Presidents etc that haven't done better than the ones we have or are simply not available. Top to bottom, the Habs have one of the best run, best fitting, cohesive organizations in the league. You may not like them personally, but they'v done well profesionaly and the organization continues to improve year in and year out, every year.

It's not like Boucher will never coach for the Habs anyways. He can always come back as a seasoned coach after his contract. I mean the guy said himself that Montreal is his dream job and the organization couldn't (wouldn't) prevent him from getting a head coahing gig. That professional and classy approach, including letting Brisebois go is why Boucher WOULD come back to begin with. Imagine if the Habs used the "other" option and didn't allow him to interview with other teams. He'd never come back then.

The bottome line is that it wasn't in the stars this time around, but there's no reason why it can't happen in the future. In the meantime, we'll have to settle with the 2nd most winningest active coach in the NHL today... what a horrible comprimse!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:27 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Like the article mentions, that exact same message was sent to the goalie (Halak).
Halak didn't have a contract and the decided to keep price. Martin has 6 million guaranteed over the next 4 years. Not the same at all.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:32 AM
icerocket

Boucher's team got smashed by Florida.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:34 AM
MTL-rules

One thing is certain, if Boucher was our coach, we would have a much more exciting club... only for that reason, I would have replace Martin with Boucher.

And Gauthier with Martin...

... let's just hope he'll come back with us in 5 years... with probably a ring on his finger...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Jeese, thank god Martin coached us to the ECF last year. Can you imagine if we lost in the 1st round how much of a stink it would be right now?

We have 7 of 10 points and could easily be 5-0 and you're all STILL *****ing?! WTF is wrong with you guys? Why can't Habs fans just be content with the team we have rather than constantly wanted to make ridiculous trades for players/coaches/GM's/Presidents etc that haven't done better than the ones we have or are simply not available. Top to bottom, the Habs have one of the best run, best fitting, cohesive organizations in the league. You may not like them personally, but they'v done well profesionaly and the organization continues to improve year in and year out, every year.

It's not like Boucher will never coach for the Habs anyways. He can always come back as a seasoned coach after his contract. I mean the guy said himself that Montreal is his dream job and the organization couldn't (wouldn't) prevent him from getting a head coahing gig. That professional and classy approach, including letting Brisebois go is why Boucher WOULD come back to begin with. Imagine if the Habs used the "other" option and didn't allow him to interview with other teams. He'd never come back then.

The bottome line is that it wasn't in the stars this time around, but there's no reason why it can't happen in the future. In the meantime, we'll have to settle with the 2nd most winningest active coach in the NHL today... what a horrible comprimse!
Never settle for what we have when we can improve, period.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Habs

I agree, imagine that.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Never settle for what we have when we can improve, period.
Ya making it to the ECF wasn't an improvement.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
One thing is certain, if Boucher was our coach, we would have a much more exciting club... only for that reason, I would have replace Martin with Boucher.

And Gauthier with Martin...

... let's just hope he'll come back with us in 5 years... with probably a ring on his finger...
I don't know about you, but I really don't care if our team becomes the 90's version of the Devils (Playing style). All I care about are the W's, and so far Boucher has not proven that he's more capable than Martin in providing them.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:55 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Boucher is good but he was outcoached by Martin when we played the bolts, IMO. Yes we lost the game, but that was because of errors on the ice.

Martin is a good coach. He may be boring as hell but he seems to have the respect of the players, he seems to keep his poise in all situations and the guy has A LOT of experience, to say the least.

Plus, we got to the Conference Finals. I mean, what else do we want?

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
For who? JM? He left a GM job in Florida to get back behind the bench. Might as well just sack him.
lol

Well..its not like JM is doing a terrible job. The team was successful in the playoffs and we did decent last year with several key injuries. So far this year, the team is doign well with our best player still out of the lineup.

Can Boucher get more out of the Habs? Maybe.. Its also quite possible that he would've folded as a rookie NHL coach under the Montreal pressure. Its pretty much pointless to think of "What ifs" when it comes to Boucher.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Bieber fever

I don't see the big deal.......Habs treat Boucher very well and allowed him to negociate with other team.He will propably get the Head coach , when JM will be gone.

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Pleky Roks

I wish people could stop pi$$ing and moaning for 5 seconds and realize that we have a good coach right now....who cares about Guy Boucher...I sure don't!!! Maybe Guy will be a great NHL coach, and maybe he'll be a huge flop....nobody knows.
Jacques Martin is ALREADY a successful coach in the NHL. He done great things in Ottawa, he turned things around in Florida before he left and he just lead the Habs to a Conference final.....give the man a little respect instead of whining because we didn't hire Guy Boucher.

I don't understand why some Hab fans can't ever be satisfied.....always gotta be complaining about something, and half the time they are complaining over nothing. I'm a Hab fan through and through, but most of the time I'm quite content with the players we have, the coach we have and happy with the way the team is playing. Things don't happen overnight, it takes time to see results. Be patient and quite whining about things you have no control over like the hiring and firing of coaches!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:12 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Detroit let Yzerman go too..
this

and terrible, terrible comparison with halak's stituation

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Would you have fired Martin?

And as one of the proponents of more French Canadian talent what would that say about you? You get rid of one French canadian and replace him with another. Getting rid of a French canaduan coach who is failing (Hello Carbo) is one thing but to get rid of one who is winning is totally stupid.

The deck was stacked against Boucher coaching in Montreal this year. Martin is gauthier's choice, actually was from the very beginning even when gainey was here. They have a very long history together. Add to that the fact Martin surprised everyone with the team's playoff performance and you have an impossible situation.

I think the Habs organization behaved very decently. They showed respect & loyalty to a coach who brought them success and they permitted a promising AHL coach to advance & pursue his career in the NHL. This created one more position in the NHL occupied by a French canadian.

Why doesn't Rejean & his minions write about that? Can you imagine what a field day the ultra-nationalists would have had if the Canadiens had convinced Boucher to stay as coach in the AHL?

FEDERALISTS REFUSE TO RELEASE QUEBECOIS COACH FOR A NHL. JOB.

Gauthier was in a no win situation. He acted decently. I respect him for that.
Don't see where you feel in my post that I would have fired him.....And what we believe versus what happened is obviously two worlds of difference. I would have never though to hire him in the first place. Even if he would have been known as available, he would not have been my pick and guess what....not would have been a pick in a whole lot of people's mind around here if we had known. But obviously Gainey makes the move and now it becomes THE solution but I really don't believe we all thought that when it happened.

So like I said, obviously not would have fired him for another coach since they are paying him the big bucks and since they believe in him. But in a world where coaches are fired 2 or 3 years even if they have some success in the 1st year, at one point, you do have to analyse if it's worth it to keep what you have instead of having a guy who could do wonders if the youth of your team based on the fact that the team might have some youth to work with and some youth coming in the upcoming years AND if the coach that could be coming might have a system that fits more the mold of the core in place for the number of years coming. Just an analysis....not saying it's one way or the other....

Where the Halak-Price comparison makes sense is when you take the bolded part, remove the french content (which in that debate has nothing to do with it....), and apply the winning versus losing guy law and see that we got rid of the winning one....AT THE TIME. There were some guesses that took place in keeping Price for Halak. Well the same guesses could have taken place for Boucher vs Martin. And the thing is, despite the season we had last year with all those injuries, some that like Martin says that it's a miracle we made the playoffs based on the things we had to face while others think that no matter why, we were 1 point of not making it. If we don't make it, and again even if you take the injuries into play....do we see Martin the same way? Hypothetical, I know.

Anyway, I would have kept Martin.....but I'm not sure I would have had that big smile on my face doing it. I still want to see what he can do with a healthier full lineup. But I'm still not particularly a fan of how he handles the kids. Still, Boucher leaving is more a question of timing and circumstance than a bad hockey move by the Habs. Just unfortunate it happens but the Habs are not at fault here.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-18-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Anyway, I would have kept Martin.....but I'm not sure I would have had that big smile on my face doing it. I still want to see what he can do with a healthier full lineup. But I'm still not particularly a fan of how he handles the kids. Still, Boucher leaving is more a question of timing and circumstance than a bad hockey move by the Habs. Just unfortunate it happens but the Habs are not at fault here.
Exactly.

Is Boucher a good coach? Sure.

Are the Habs probably a bit sad he left? Of course.

But there was no plausible alternative that would have seen him stay, despite the whiners who think we should have fired Martin or somehow stealth "promoted" him will say.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote