HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need a Top 4

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Kebekoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hamrlik is not a top 4 d-man in this league any longer...
Who do you want up there? Spacek?

Subban needs a teacher and it's Hamrlik's role.

Subban was Spacek's teacher in the last games when they played together.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:16 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

We need Robyn Regehr.

Hamrlik
Maxwell
2011 1st round pick

Do you think the Flames would bite?

Old
10-18-2010, 10:23 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hamrlik is not a top 4 d-man in this league any longer...
HE is.......this can be debated but for our shake, he has to be. We know for sure Spacek is not, Subban is a rookie, O'Byrne is a reserved Dman, so is Picard. Gill is Gill, and rubber man Gorges can't be on every pair. Markov being our General will settle things down a bit but he is not a top minute guy(30minutes beast)

Old
10-18-2010, 10:41 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
We need Robyn Regehr.

Hamrlik
Maxwell
2011 1st round pick

Flames don't have any space for a dollar.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Perfect healthy duo:

Markov - Gorges
Subban - Hamrlik

But the problem is we can't put Spacek and Gill togeter because.... you know why
I think it's worth a try though. If they can eat up some ES minutes with Spacek contributing on the powerplay with any luck and Gill continuing his penalty killing at could work.

In another thread I suggested trying Hamrlik on his offside and moving Spacek back to create this..........

Markov - Hamrlik
Gill - Gorges
Spacek - Subban

or

Keep Spacek on his offside on the third pairing.........

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Spacek

Oh the options are endless.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I must have forgotten.......me though it was Gorges and Subban mostly playing vs Ovechkin. What I do remember is that sure he plays great with out the puck but makes terrible decision with it. He was supposed to be that guy, moving the puck swiftly up to the forward......that one timer on the PP....where was it. They signed MAB because he did not fill the bill.

To some up my scout() report of Spacek's play....Good position, delivered some nice hit, terrible with the puck, a few lucky floppy shot that went in and a one timer that missed the net more then it hit.
Considering Subban was only brought in for game six replacing Spacek I would say your memory is off. But other than that, your right about him, he has more bad days than good (in terms of doing the job he was signed to do).

Old
10-18-2010, 11:27 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
Considering Subban was only brought in for game six replacing Spacek I would say your memory is off. But other than that, your right about him, he has more bad days than good (in terms of doing the job he was signed to do).
I believe that Gorges and Gill where mostly on the ice wen Ovy was playing. Also Spacek did play decent in the playoffs. My biggest problem with Spacek was his puck desicion.....this year, it's everything including his positioning.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
We need Robyn Regehr.

Hamrlik
Maxwell
2011 1st round pick

A better question might be, would you do this deal if you were the Flames GM?

Old
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I wouldn't as GM but we are talking about the Flames GM,he might even give us their 1st

Old
10-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I wouldn't as GM but we are talking about the Flames GM,he might even give us their 1st
I forgot that the Flames GM was Sutter. My Bad.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:01 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Well, if they have the cap space to take the difference between Hammer and Regehr at the trade deadline, they might be interested to work on something if they are in a rebuild mode.

Do you think it would be more enticing for them if O'Byrne was involved in the deal aswell?

Old
10-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Pleky Roks

I agree!! We need a big, physical d-man to play the right side with Markov like Komisarek done for 1 year. Komi was great for 1 season playing with Markov. He hit everything that moved, he protected Markov a bit and he played solid defence which allowed Markov to take some chances.

I like our defence right now, I like Gorges, Subban, Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek and O'Byrne a lot....but I think we need to make a move to get 1 more top 3 defencemen that will make a difference and standout. Trade Spacek or O'Byrne and a prospect and a draft pick in order to aquire the rights to a solid defencemen who can play 25 minutes a game with a lot of toughness.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Does anybody know what Carolina is planning on doing with Pitkanen - he'll be a UFA at the end of the season.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, if they have the cap space to take the difference between Hammer and Regehr at the trade deadline, they might be interested to work on something if they are in a rebuild mode.

Do you think it would be more enticing for them if O'Byrne was involved in the deal aswell?
They might, but I doubt it as Regehr is a popular player, and from what I've read one of the top leaders on the team behind only Iginla. After the backlash that Sutter received after moving Phaneuf, I'd be very surprised if he would consider moving Regehr. Unless a top player would be coming back in return.

As for adding O'Byrne, I don't think he'd really add to the deal.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:26 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Does anybody know what Carolina is planning on doing with Pitkanen - he'll be a UFA at the end of the season.
Pitkanen can't handle the pressure. He would be a really bad fit in Montreal.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:27 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
They might, but I doubt it as Regehr is a popular player, and from what I've read one of the top leaders on the team behind only Iginla. After the backlash that Sutter received after moving Phaneuf, I'd be very surprised if he would consider moving Regehr. Unless a top player would be coming back in return.

As for adding O'Byrne, I don't think he'd really add to the deal.
I have to agree with you. However, if Regehr was available, he would be the perfect fit.

I don't see a lot of great options out there to be honest.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I have to agree with you. However, if Regehr was available, he would be the perfect fit.

I don't see a lot of great options out there to be honest.
If he were available, I'd personally drive to Calgary and chauffeur him all the way to Montreal myself. I've always been a big fan of Regehr's, and agree, he is just what we need.

Honestly I don't either, as I believe most teams won't be willing to give up a top 4 defenseman unless we are willing to over pay. Unless the player is older, or injury prone.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:41 PM
clarke19

Would anyone be up for trying to woo Ed Jovanovski back to Canada after his deal in Phoenix is up? I mean, I know he tries to remain close to Florida for family reasons, but I see him as a great mentor for Subban and I'm pretty sure he'd take a pay cut down to the 3.5-4 Million range. Not sure he fits the bill for a more mobile defense core though.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:59 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
Would anyone be up for trying to woo Ed Jovanovski back to Canada after his deal in Phoenix is up? I mean, I know he tries to remain close to Florida for family reasons, but I see him as a great mentor for Subban and I'm pretty sure he'd take a pay cut down to the 3.5-4 Million range. Not sure he fits the bill for a more mobile defense core though.
The problem is that we need someone to play with Markov, not Subban.

Old
10-18-2010, 01:05 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
Well 5 years ago yes but now......I just don't know what to think of Ed. He's a big salary guy and it would have to be Hamrlik rather then Spacek going the other way. I would rather do a deal to keep hamrlik here and move Spacek or send him down to Hamilton(our management will not do that) At 6 million, you better get the right guy in Jovanovski. Once was a force, now??????

Old
10-18-2010, 01:12 PM
clarke19

Well unless Phoenix re-signs him, he'll be a UFA in July, we could convince him to take a deal in Montreal. I also like the possibility of adding one of Kevin Bieksa or Sami Salo out of Vancouver when that time comes, if we can find a way to ditch the Spacek contract.

Old
10-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Forsead

Wisniewski and Brewer could also be nice options and I like Ericsson from detroit that is UFA this summer.

Old
10-18-2010, 01:20 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
The problem is that we need someone to play with Markov, not Subban.
Gorges.

Gill is done after this year. Markov/Gorges would be great. Subban with a cheaply signed Hamrlik as well (or similar defenseman).

Old
10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
kernkraft

That's why I don't understand that we passed on Ryan Parent when he went on waivers a week ago. We're not deep on D, he could have helped.

Old
10-18-2010, 01:54 PM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Gorges.

Gill is done after this year. Markov/Gorges would be great. Subban with a cheaply signed Hamrlik as well (or similar defenseman).
If you are going to keep Gorges and play him with Markov (which I like, he'll re-sign for ~ 2.25-3 per I estimate) then why keep Hamr on the cheap to play with Subban. Use his money to bring in a quality D-man who's quick on his feet to play with Subban. Then maybe keep Hamr for cheap and use him with Spacek, or let O'Byrne be the number 6 with Spacek.

Maybe my calculations are off, but I think that's possible. I would loove to be rid of Spacek's contract. How much can we buy him out for this offseason, because we can sign someone for like 1.5-2 million who can probably bring more to the team.

Closed Thread