HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Lines in Practice (No Call-ups)

Old
10-18-2010, 01:53 AM
GarretJoseph*

vCash: 500
watch us score 6 or 7 goals in our next game.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:00 AM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Well thank god for that

I was getting worried that he would split up our 3rd pairing, i mean why in the **** would we want a steady defensive player like Sauer playing when we could having Eminger and Gilroy stinking it up

Just noticed this was posted to

And yet you still go with a Eminger-Gilroy pairing?

For **** sake Torts you have lost the plot
Yep it makes no sense. Torts is talking about getting better in the your own end. But he is sitting down a defensemen who is pretty reliable in his own end. And playing two guys who are lost in the defensive zone. Yes Sauer wont contribute much offensively but neither do Gilroy or Eminger. Both Gilroy and Eminger r pretty useless they are horrible defensively and dont provide much offensively either.

Last edited by XLJ: 10-18-2010 at 02:07 AM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:23 AM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Sauer doesnt like Sauer since that pittsburgh game a couple of years back when Sauer in his 3rd game had those two giveaways and the pens scored. Not crazy about line up but there are more Ranger prospects in that line up and thats good to see. We may not suck that bad and if we do then so be it.
Hey with all that cap space we could bring up redden

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:34 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23isforDeBlois View Post
Sauer doesnt like Sauer since that pittsburgh game a couple of years back when Sauer in his 3rd game had those two giveaways and the pens scored. Not crazy about line up but there are more Ranger prospects in that line up and thats good to see. We may not suck that bad and if we do then so be it.
Sauer not happy. Sauer steady. Sauer, sour he not play. hehe, just busting you. Reminded me of Mongo in Blazing Saddles.

It's heartreaking to see everyone trying to re-arrange the deck chairs on the S.S. Titanic (NYR), or doll-ing up a pig by applying lipstick.

This is a paper.thin lineup with more than its share of 3rd liners. We're in for a loooooong season. But at least it will make the upcoming draft interesting.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:38 AM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23isforDeBlois View Post
didnt realize i had written that ha...torts doesnt like sauer....me not so smart....

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 04:17 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
People forget so quickly that when Gaborik was out for a few games on our push to stay in the playoff race last year (and when he came back and was clearly far from 100% and not really producing), EC was easily our best player.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 06:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
You think Sauer is ready to handle that amount of minutes?

Personally if I was the coach/gm this is how I would have started the season

Staal-Roszival
Valentenko-Girardi
MDZ-Sauer

Gilroy 7 man

But McDonagh and Valentenko are pretty close to me
Not to start the year. You can limit his minutes by not starting him on the PK or PP. But, as he gains experience, you can build up his responsibilities. I do think he's a good fit for Staal, though. Plus, you put the experienced Roszival with the rookie, (in my scenario, McD), and and you keep Girardi next to MDZ. I like Girardi next to MDZ better than either Sauer or Roszival, simply because MDZ needs that kind of stable partner. Sauer should become that kind of D-man in a year or two.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 06:48 AM
BobSantos

Everyone seems to be kvetching about the third D pairing.

What about Staal?

Takes penalties in the last two games that allow winning goals to be scored against us. Against the Islanders, his penalty puts us two men down and they score twice against us. Against the Leaves, Kessel scores the GWG in OT on the penalty.

If Staal can't play like we know Staal can play, the other pairings don't mean crap. Also, why does it seem like no one can play with him? Rozy isn't good. Girardi definitely isn't a 1st pair D but makes Staal look much better. Sauer playing with Staal is probably a Tortorella nightmare.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 06:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Everyone seems to be kvetching about the third D pairing.

What about Staal?

Takes penalties in the last two games that allow winning goals to be scored against us. Against the Islanders, his penalty puts us two men down and they score twice against us. Against the Leaves, Kessel scores the GWG in OT on the penalty.

If Staal can't play like we know Staal can play, the other pairings don't mean crap. Also, why does it seem like no one can play with him? Rozy isn't good. Girardi definitely isn't a 1st pair D but makes Staal look much better. Sauer playing with Staal is probably a Tortorella nightmare.
But, Gilroy playing next to Eminger is somehow not....right, it's just the fans nightmare.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:03 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
But, Gilroy playing next to Eminger is somehow not....right, it's just the fans nightmare.
Not my point. You're worrying about the details but the big picture is taking penalties in OT.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:18 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Christensen gets hurt and goes from Line 1 to Line 4. Unbelievable
Christensen isn't 100%. He might not even be able to go. He cannot handle the minutes on the first line if he suits up. If he plays, it is merely because of the emergency situation stemming from:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Those lines look terrible. Call up the hobbit and Kennedy, these lines will produce 0 goals.
Hartford just played 3 in 3 nights. This will be MZA's 4th in 4 if he is called up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Avery - Boyle - Prust line should be fun to watch.

That 4th line is terrible.

The 2nd line of Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan has been pretty solid for most of this young season.

What scares me the most is the first line of Frolov - Stepan - Fedetenko. Yeah, that's not a first line in the NHL. Hopefully they will surprise.
The first line is the Anisimov line. Everyone is acting like lemmings in this thread. Think for yourselves guys. I wish the first posted just acted blindly positive so most of the people would have just mimicked that.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 07:42 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Not my point. You're worrying about the details but the big picture is taking penalties in OT.
So, what does that have to do with Sauer? There's been one OT period, and Staal took the penalty. How does that make a Staal/Sauer pairing a Tortorella nightmare?

Old
10-18-2010, 09:00 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So, what does that have to do with Sauer? There's been one OT period, and Staal took the penalty. How does that make a Staal/Sauer pairing a Tortorella nightmare?
Yeah, and in the third of the NYI game he took the penalty putting us two men down, no?

Anyway, seems like he's having a slow start to the season. If he's shaky, it seems the last thing we should do is pair him with a rookie.

Hence, the big picture part of my comment. Staal is big picture. He's our franchise shut down D. He needs to get going. The three through five components that have been discussed at the third pairing won't make a difference if Staalsie doesn't focus himself.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
haha i was thinking the same thing.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Yeah, and in the third of the NYI game he took the penalty putting us two men down, no?

Anyway, seems like he's having a slow start to the season. If he's shaky, it seems the last thing we should do is pair him with a rookie.

Hence, the big picture part of my comment. Staal is big picture. He's our franchise shut down D. He needs to get going. The three through five components that have been discussed at the third pairing won't make a difference if Staalsie doesn't focus himself.
He will, it's only been 3 games.

Sure, it can be infuriating, but no one is really 100% on their game yet, and the Rangers have played less games then almost everyoen so far it seems.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I'd wager that Gilroy and Eminger switch sides... an indication that the staff is still evaluating the d roster.
I was thinking the same. Is it now Gilroy's turn to show what he can do on his natural side?

Quote:
This process IS the assessment. Things will shake out.
I keep asking myself what this process shows though, other than who are 4th and 5th best right defensemen in the organization, which fails to address the real problem of needing someone to play the left side.

IMO, the team shouldn't need a lot of time to determine whether they're sticking with the prospect they've put 14 months of development into, or the veteran who was expected to be a #7 from the moment he was signed. Make that choice and either promote or acquire a left defenseman and get down to the business of putting a functional defense on the ice. As a "bubble team", you can't piss away games in the name of assessing the relative strengths and weaknesses of borderline NHL'ers.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
And give up 9.

10-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

So the reason Sauer isn't playing, is because he has the spot won already?

I don't buy the argument that the staff is using regular season games to try to decide which defenseman, Gilroy or Eminger, is worse while our defense continues to get shredded. If they thought Sauer was better he would be in the game.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I was thinking the same. Is it now Gilroy's turn to show what he can do on his natural side?

I keep asking myself what this process shows though, other than who are 4th and 5th best right defensemen in the organization, which fails to address the real problem of needing someone to play the left side.

IMO, the team shouldn't need a lot of time to determine whether they're sticking with the prospect they've put 14 months of development into, or the veteran who was expected to be a #7 from the moment he was signed. Make that choice and either promote or acquire a left defenseman and get down to the business of putting a functional defense on the ice. As a "bubble team", you can't piss away games in the name of assessing the relative strengths and weaknesses of borderline NHL'ers.
I think that is, and always has been, the major issue with this organization. The refusal to commit to a real long-term plan with its roster. And no, Im not talking about tanking, but moreso a clear and concise mindset when it comes to the handling of the roster.

I think everyone here will readily admit this team will not compete for anything of significance for another 2 seasons when Drury/Rozsival come off the books and hopefully we can fill that space with 2 players the deserve that type of money. It would be nice if management and the coaching staff would conceed that point and build towards the future with their higher upside prospects.

Does anyone disagree that guys like Sauer/Valentenko/McDonagh have a much better chance of being important cogs in the future for this franchise than Eminger and Gilroy? Well, why not play a couple of them and deal with the growing pains - at least it gives the fans something to get excited about in the future. And lets face it, how much worse could it possibly get on the backend than what we've seen already?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Does anyone disagree that guys like Sauer/Valentenko/McDonagh have a much better chance of being important cogs in the future for this franchise than Eminger and Gilroy? Well, why not play a couple of them and deal with the growing pains - at least it gives the fans something to get excited about in the future. And lets face it, how much worse could it possibly get on the backend than what we've seen already?
If you are indeed thinking long-term, then you do what's best for your prospect's development. I think they genuinely feel that Valentenko and McDonagh are not ready to be in the NHL, or at least as part of THIS NHL team.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

It would only be fair. Eminger got a stay of execution because he played off his natural side. Gilroy did, how can they trash him without a shot on his right? Brooks had an article last week saying that Sauer "cannot play his off wing". I don't know if that is an inability or a refusal, but the fact that he isn't able to move is probably why he is scratched. Fair? probably not but that is how it shook out this weekend.

I am infering two things from all of this: Tortorella is not comfortable with an inexperienced pair of Gilroy and Sauer And he is trying to assess his options. I'd bet that Sauer plays with whoever looks better tonight. Maybe they're showcasing one or both.

I agree that it sucks to be figuring things out now but Eminger was hurt in preseason and these are the guys that need waivers to move up and down.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
So the reason Sauer isn't playing, is because he has the spot won already?

I don't buy the argument that the staff is using regular season games to try to decide which defenseman, Gilroy or Eminger, is worse while our defense continues to get shredded. If they thought Sauer was better he would be in the game.
Eh, I think Tortorella has pretty much said that's exactly what's going on. Something to the effect of needing to see what Eminger does in his proper position before before making the decision and Gilroy being "good enough" in camp to get on the ice despite not having a need for his services at the moment.

Old
10-18-2010, 01:01 PM
pwoz

"it is what it is"

Just enjoy watching NHL hockey.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote