HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Repair (Two Part Epoxy)

Old
10-18-2010, 11:13 AM
bosshogg18

vCash: 500
Stick Repair (Two Part Epoxy)

There is a chip out of the heal of my One95 and there are a couple of hairline fractures running from the chip. I want to repair it before it snowballs into something way worse.
I have read that a few people have success patching this with a two part epoxy. I am not familiar with epoxy and have never used it myself. My question is: Is there are particular brand that is best for this? I am curious about what has/has not worked for any of you out there. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

bosshogg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:52 AM
ponder

I repaired the blade of my one95 with some JB-Weld 2-part, all purpose epoxy, which I sanded down smooth (fine grit sandpaper) then covered with a few coats of spray on clear coat, has worked great so far. Make sure you have everything nice and clean/dry before applying the epoxy or clear coat. However, my stick just had some a couple gouges from skate blades, if you've got actual cracks in the blade that might not be so easy to fix. Are the little fractures only in the surface coat, or are they right through the carbon fiber?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
bosshogg18

Right now the tiny fractures only seem to be on the surface, but I am not 100% sure. i just noticed them last night in my game and I want to fix this before the problem gets worse. I want to save this stick because it isn't retail. It is from a WHL team and the pattern is not available in stores.

Old
10-19-2010, 08:57 AM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg18 View Post
Right now the tiny fractures only seem to be on the surface, but I am not 100% sure. i just noticed them last night in my game and I want to fix this before the problem gets worse. I want to save this stick because it isn't retail. It is from a WHL team and the pattern is not available in stores.

So this stick has sentimental value too?

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:47 AM
bosshogg18

Not so much sentimental, but that I absolutely love it for performance. Perfect flex, lie, curve, and has a square toe. Square toe sticks are not made as much. I don't know why since it makes it easier to dig pucks out of the boards. Don't know of one reason why round toes are more popular. What is the benefit.

Old
10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
ponder

Another tip would be to use a good, thick tape (like Refrew tape), and before taping the blade put a strip along the bottom, which will help cushion the impacts a bit when shooting.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 03:34 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Another tip would be to use a good, thick tape (like Refrew tape), and before taping the blade put a strip along the bottom, which will help cushion the impacts a bit when shooting.

yup. and if you tape your blade with black tape, put the strip on the bottom with white. or vice versa if you tape with white. that way you know when it's time to re-tape.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote