HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We need a Top 4

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2010, 04:13 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
If you are going to keep Gorges and play him with Markov (which I like, he'll re-sign for ~ 2.25-3 per I estimate) then why keep Hamr on the cheap to play with Subban. Use his money to bring in a quality D-man who's quick on his feet to play with Subban. Then maybe keep Hamr for cheap and use him with Spacek, or let O'Byrne be the number 6 with Spacek.

Maybe my calculations are off, but I think that's possible. I would loove to be rid of Spacek's contract. How much can we buy him out for this offseason, because we can sign someone for like 1.5-2 million who can probably bring more to the team.
Hamrlik & Subban complimented each other well last year, I thought. That was my reasoning there.

Old
10-18-2010, 04:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Would anyone be up for trying to woo Ed Jovanovski back to Canada after his deal in Phoenix is up? I mean, I know he tries to remain close to Florida for family reasons, but I see him as a great mentor for Subban and I'm pretty sure he'd take a pay cut down to the 3.5-4 Million range. Not sure he fits the bill for a more mobile defense core though.
I wouldn't mind to be honest. Even Bieksa would be a nice option. It all depends on what we do with gill and hamrlik and how spacek responds or if he gets waived/traded or wtv.

I want weber to make the team and I hope carle is ready as well. Adding some size and thoughness in a top 4 would be nice, but in terms of quantity and not quality we already have the following as potential D-men next year:

markov(extension hopefully)
subban
gorges
o'byrne
spacek
weber
carle

+IF gill or hamrlik is returned at a paycut.

Long story short, a trade would need to occur because we have some young depth in gorges, subban, o'byrne, carle and weber that we don't need to drop for no reason.

Old
10-18-2010, 04:41 PM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Hamrlik & Subban complimented each other well last year, I thought. That was my reasoning there.
You are right. Hammer and Subban did pretty well, but Hammer isn't getting any younger and I'd like to put Subban on a pairing with someone he might have a future with. He isn't an easy guy to play with due to his dynamic playing style, if we can get a guy in his prime who can have a lengthy future with the team to play with Subban, then they can get used to eachothers playing style and sync with eachother.

The other option of course is keeping Hamrlik, but I think someone like Kevin Bieksa could be a target, he's physical and decently quick on his feet. I have them together on my NHL 11 Habs Be-A-GM but I digress.

Another guy would be James Wisniewski. Guy who is a good skater(iirc) with a bit of a mean streak that can hold his own.

Just my thoughts. Hammer and Subban did do pretty decent in the playoffs when Hammer was not terrible, but I don't think he is the best choice moving forward after this season.

Old
10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Kyosuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I think that "big punishing shutdown D-men" are thoroughly overrated. A good defense is one that gets the play happening at the other end; that's still the best kind of defense there is (even though the Habs sometimes don't seem to agree ). Now some "big punishing D-men" can do that (Chara immediately comes to mind) but the size and physicality are bonuses then, not central skills.

I think the defense is fine. Hamrlik and Spacek are being underrated by Hab fans, IMO. The team's biggest need is a tough-minutes top-6 winger, preferably a natural RW. Playing Kostitsyn on his off-wing with Plekanec and a rookie or Pouliot on the Gomez line is less than ideal.
Chara in a habs uniform!

Doubt it, Boston would never let him walk. But if they did... and we got him... (in my wildest dreams)

Old
10-18-2010, 05:48 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosuke View Post
Chara in a habs uniform!

Doubt it, Boston would never let him walk. But if they did... and we got him... (in my wildest dreams)
They re-signed him to a 7 year deal last week. He ain't going anywhere

Old
10-18-2010, 06:20 PM
m00ks

Actually, all we need is a complementary winger for Gio-Gomez and I'm perfectly comfortable making a run with this lineup. Our defensive corps is luxuriously deep imo.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Actually, all we need is a complementary winger for Gio-Gomez and I'm perfectly comfortable making a run with this lineup. Our defensive corps is luxuriously deep imo.
Do you mean luxuriously deep in the crease, bowled over by the more aggressive opposition forwards?

kidding aside, Spacek/Hamrlik/Gill will be ok as long as Markov/Gorges/Subban can stay healthy and play the bulk of the minutes.

kind of crummy to have 11M$ spent on your bottom-three defense though... imagine if we didn't have those salary anchors, paying for an upgrade next to gio/gomez would be no problem!

Old
10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Do you mean luxuriously deep in the crease, bowled over by the more aggressive opposition forwards?

kidding aside, Spacek/Hamrlik/Gill will be ok as long as Markov/Gorges/Subban can stay healthy and play the bulk of the minutes.

kind of crummy to have 11M$ spent on your bottom-three defense though... imagine if we didn't have those salary anchors, paying for an upgrade next to gio/gomez would be no problem!
It is crummy to have that much money tied up. But we do have 6 competent defenders that are capable of top 4 duties. Even Hammer and Spacek have have played well for us at various points last year, including the playoffs. We've had Hammer and Markov out
at the beginning of the year and we coped relatively well.

Old
10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
clarke19

I just crunched the numbers and if I'm not mistaken, buying out Spacek would cost us a shade over $2.5 Million over the next 2 seasons, only opening up 1.3 Million in cap space. Totally not worth it.

Old
10-18-2010, 09:47 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I think you're right. Would be nice to snag a big body (a late season offer for Buff?) ... for when we inevitably meet the Flys or B's.

Otherwise, very deep lineup. I'm liking it. Very nice potential here for another run if Price continues to develop. Lotsa speed and smarts.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I think you're right. Would be nice to snag a big body (a late season offer for Buff?) ... for when we inevitably meet the Flys or B's.

Otherwise, very deep lineup. I'm liking it. Very nice potential here for another run if Price continues to develop. Lotsa speed and smarts.
I think a big body can be essential to beat a big team, but we also need I would prefer to have more dmens that go to war we are a good mobile, reliable punishing/intimidating, able to get around 30 pts dman to replace Spacek to have a pretty nice team (I'm thinking a guy like Coburn for exemple)

Old
10-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I just crunched the numbers and if I'm not mistaken, buying out Spacek would cost us a shade over $2.5 Million over the next 2 seasons, only opening up 1.3 Million in cap space. Totally not worth it.
35+ contract can't be bought out.

Old
10-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosuke View Post
Chara in a habs uniform!

You should read better.

He never once hinted at Chara being an Hab.
He said Chara is a big Dmen that can move the puck well.

Our Defense is fine. We finished 13th last year for Goals Allowed. Five games in, and we're still in that same position. This is also without Markov. Considering our Goals Allowed averaged would drop .5 last year when he played, then I think it's fair to say that we should again improve once he returns. Matter of fact, there's no question any D corps would improve if someone like Markov comes back.

Even if some will say we've been pretty undisciplined, we're tied 3rd in the league for least penalties. If we can remain disciplined like this, combined with sticking in the top 5 in PK as we currently are, then our GA should see a drop compared to last year as well.

So, I don't think we have to really worry about Defense.
Even strength scoring was our main issue last year.

But I also think it's too early to really tell what our team needs yet. We have to settle into the season a little more.

Old
10-19-2010, 05:33 AM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
35+ contract can't be bought out.
Right you are. I missed the fine print and assumed Spacek fell into the 26 and older category.

This makes me sad.

Old
10-19-2010, 11:09 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Agree. A big body on the top line is a greater need IMO. The longer you're in the opposing end.....etc

Closed Thread