HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hitting speed

Old
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
Hitting speed

It's for a physics-related movie that I'd like to shoot... the movie is about a hockey player who, despite his playmaking ability, is a very poor hitter and he would like to improve his physical game. He is a rather fast player and turns to a physicist to devise a plan to make him deliver bigger hits.

I know that the hardest hits have both high kinetic energy and momentum. But I have a question: how fast can a hit be? (in ft/s; I'll convert into m/s later)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 05:19 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
It's for a physics-related movie that I'd like to shoot... the movie is about a hockey player who, despite his playmaking ability, is a very poor hitter and he would like to improve his physical game. He is a rather fast player and turns to a physicist to devise a plan to make him deliver bigger hits.

I know that the hardest hits have both high kinetic energy and momentum. But I have a question: how fast can a hit be? (in ft/s; I'll convert into m/s later)
First of all, this sounds like the greatest movie premise of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Second of all, there are many factors that play into the physics of a bodycheck. The most important factor to consider is whether or not the boards are in play. Checks along the boards do not hurt as much because the boards absorb some of the kinetic energy. You'll also have to consider the weight of the opposing player and the speed at which he is going. It's probably easier to assume that the two players are the same size, and that one is stationary.

The important formula for kinetic energy is (W * (S^2))/2, to calculate kinetic energy in Joules, where W = weight in kilos, and S = speed in metres/second.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

The working title of that movie: The Player Masher (French: L'Écrase-Joueurs)

I know how to calculate a kinetic energy and solve a collision problem so even if the players were of different weights and speeds I would be able to solve the problems that the movie entails.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
ponder

You'd virtually never be going this fast when hitting someone, but I think in the fastest skater competitions guys get up to about 45 km/hr? But even big open ice hits probably happen at quite a bit lower speed than that, though if both players are going 30 km/hr into each other that's still quite the collision. Also, when hitting you often sort explode into the guy with your legs, adding to your speed when making contact. Something else to consider: when hitting someone, if you're going faster than they are and really explode on contact you pretty much plow through them without much effort, but at equal speed without and/or if you sort of pull-up/don't explode through the hit you can actually feel it more than the guy you're trying to check.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote