HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

38th Obsequious Banter Thread: The unnamed one

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
According to people I know involved in the process, not very. Unless you come off as a lunatic or a moron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Depending on the school, it can go unnoticed or be as important as your GPA and LSAT scores. I just sort of rambled on mine, which miraculously worked.
I'm not sure where I fit, my GPA is pretty mediocre (I was around 60th percentile at college), but I did pretty well the LSAT (not to sound like a d-bag), so I'm definitely aiming for a top-20 school. So I feel like a good/bad personal statement might be the making/breaking of the app, but I suck at writing like this, just give me facts to write about.

This whole process is just freaking stressful, I'm hoping real-world work experience might give me a leg up. I mean, I've heard the law market sucks, but I'm betting a lot of that is people that went to JD factories and are then shocked that they can't find a 6-figure job.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Is it me, or is it getting darker than it usually does this time of year? I know the days are shorter, but I seem to remember there being at least some daylight left when it got to around 7:00 in early-mid October.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm not sure where I fit, my GPA is pretty mediocre (I was around 60th percentile at college), but I did pretty well the LSAT (not to sound like a d-bag), so I'm definitely aiming for a top-20 school.
I'm about the same, I think, in that my LSAT was great, but my GPA was terrible, probably (read: absolutely; ******* skiing) worse than yours, and I did not end up at a top 20 school, not remotely. The ****** job market is forcing kids who otherwise would get good jobs to go to law school.

Quote:
So I feel like a good/bad personal statement might be the making/breaking of the app, but I suck at writing like this, just give me facts to write about.
It really isn't. **** like good recommendations and experience are way more valuable.

Quote:
This whole process is just freaking stressful, I'm hoping real-world work experience might give me a leg up. I mean, I've heard the law market sucks, but I'm betting a lot of that is people that went to JD factories and are then shocked that they can't find a 6-figure job.
It's not just "JD factories." The market is abominable right now.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Apple is supposedly going to have some huge Mac update late this month, but with the iPhone and so on, who gives a **** for most? I'm sure there are some that don't even know what a Mac/MacBook is. But yeah, in general, I just don't like Apple. Doesn't mean I'm everything MS or Google either.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Apple is supposedly going to have some huge Mac update late this month, but with the iPhone and so on, who gives a **** for most? I'm sure there are some that don't even know what a Mac/MacBook is. But yeah, in general, I just don't like Apple. Doesn't mean I'm everything MS or Google either.
You've made your position clear.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:51 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I'm about the same, I think, in that my LSAT was great, but my GPA was terrible, probably (read: absolutely; ******* skiing) worse than yours, and I did not end up at a top 20 school, not remotely. The ****** job market is forcing kids who otherwise would get good jobs to go to law school.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too, not sure how much these guys are willing to expand class sizes.

Quote:
It really isn't. **** like good recommendations and experience are way more valuable.
I should at least get some solid recs which would be good, I cultivated that my last semester.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:03 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
It's not just "JD factories." The market is abominable right now.
I just graduated from Rutgers (not a JD factory, I think). As of graduation date, 5% of my class had secured a permanent job. We place well for clerkships, but that still left roughly half of my class - including me - without a job as of that date. A fair number of people locked stuff up over the study, but it's just a general **** show right now. I'm looking to switch careers already just to get some damn health benefits.

edit: if we're talking about GPAs and whatnot, I had a terrible GPA from a well regarded engineering school and a mediocre LSAT. Didn't get into a top school, but I basically had my pick of the bottom half of the top 100. This was before the market **** the bed, though, so I would have said you've got a great shot at a top 20 FlyHigh, but who knows at this point? Gotta try though.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Black Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Is it me, or is it getting darker than it usually does this time of year? I know the days are shorter, but I seem to remember there being at least some daylight left when it got to around 7:00 in early-mid October.
Not just you GKJ; it seemed to go straight from late summer, light outside until almost 9 to get dark just after 6.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:21 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
edit: if we're talking about GPAs and whatnot, I had a terrible GPA from a well regarded engineering school and a mediocre LSAT. Didn't get into a top school, but I basically had my pick of the bottom half of the top 100. This was before the market **** the bed, though, so I would have said you've got a great shot at a top 20 FlyHigh, but who knows at this point? Gotta try though.
It's tough to say though, I don't think I'm the only 23 year-old who's working a job 5x ****tier than what I would have been working 5 years ago and thinking, "I need to go to law school."

I think there's still a strong feeling that even if a law job sucks, they're still out there and you'll still get paid. I don't think of myself as a particularly avaricious person, but I don't want to make 40K a year for the rest of my life and then not have Social Security.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
It's tough to say though, I don't think I'm the only 23 year-old who's working a job 5x ****tier than what I would have been working 5 years ago and thinking, "I need to go to law school."

I think there's still a strong feeling that even if a law job sucks, they're still out there and you'll still get paid. I don't think of myself as a particularly avaricious person, but I don't want to make 40K a year for the rest of my life and then not have Social Security.
I haven't even noticed those jobs, but then again I'm really only interested in doing patent stuff, which doesn't have much of the low paid stuff. I sent resumes to basically every firm I could find that did that stuff though and nothing panned out. Frustrating as hell.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Speaking of GPA, do most companies even look at GPA anymore? Or do they look at what you majored/minored/certified in?

Old
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Speaking of GPA, do most companies even look at GPA anymore? Or do they look at what you majored/minored/certified in?
If you've met the person in the department making the calls GPA matters a lot less than the impression you left. If you're just applying cold GPA seems to be a huge deal just to filter out half of the resumes they're getting.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:41 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Public accounting jobs screen based on GPA. At my school, if you don't have a 3.4, you can't even get an interview.

10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Public accounting jobs screen based on GPA. At my school, if you don't have a 3.4, you can't even get an interview.
That's the same GPA to even get a job at the CIA.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:44 PM
mypunkrock

Basic advice:

My personal statement did four things:
1. Described my background
2. Highlighted what I did in college, with a focus on working in a non-traditional field (maintenance), fraternity leadership involvement, and bilingual cultural exposure
3. My personal and career goals
4. How my goals fit into the program paradigm

If you'd like, I'll post an abridged version.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:49 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
The way some of the companies talk, it's like they'd have you believe they are more important that the CIA.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:50 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
The way some of the companies talk, it's like they'd have you believe they are more important that the CIA.
I know the NSA is a minimum of 3.6 GPA and my friend works for it now, but he had the same major and minor as me but had a 4.0 GPA .

Old
10-18-2010, 07:50 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Not if your degree is in engineering, comp sci, mathematics, or particular foreign languages, from what I've been told.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
global warming. 2012.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:52 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Basic advice:

My personal statement did four things:
1. Described my background
2. Highlighted what I did in college, with a focus on working in a non-traditional field (maintenance), fraternity leadership involvement, and bilingual cultural exposure
3. My personal and career goals
4. How my goals fit into the program paradigm

If you'd like, I'll post an abridged version.
I'm going from a "why do people hate lawyers, what lawyers really offer to society, and why my personality and gifts make me want to be a lawyer" angle.

I'll incorporate some resume stuff, but I hate writing about accomplishments and etc., so I figure I'd go from a different angle.

Old
10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
global warming. 2012.
Don't really think global warming could effect the position of the Earth relative to the Sun. It's not 2012.

Clearly it's the entire solar system that's broken.

Old
10-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Don't really think global warming could effect the position of the Earth relative to the Sun. It's not 2012.

Clearly it's the entire solar system that's broken.
solar system warming. oil spill.

Old
10-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Not if your degree is in engineering, comp sci, mathematics, or particular foreign languages, from what I've been told.
Getting into CIA isn't as high profile as some may think.

Old
10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
edit: if we're talking about GPAs and whatnot, I had a terrible GPA from a well regarded engineering school and a mediocre LSAT.
So what made you switch from the single best job market (and highest average starting salary) to go to one of the worst (and lowest average starting salary).

Just out of curiosity.

Old
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
So what made you switch from the single best job market (and highest average starting salary) to go to one of the worst (and lowest average starting salary).

Just out of curiosity.
The salaries are great. Go **** yourself.

Closed Thread