HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartnell vs Umberger

View Poll Results: Hartnell vs Umberger
Hartnell 12 21.05%
Umberger 42 73.68%
Not Sure 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He owned Montreal, but didn't really show up for the other series
15 pts in 17 games, are we really complaining? Umberger also had 4 pts in 5 games against Pittsburgh. Only series he was quiet in was the Washington series.

Briere owned Washington, but didn't do much after that... yet he's a playoff God.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He'd be a winger here.

Umberger got paid because he lit up Carey Price.
Pretty sure putting up 50 pts that year had something to do with it as well.

Old
10-17-2010, 10:45 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
15 pts in 17 games, are we really complaining? Umberger also had 4 pts in 5 games against Pittsburgh. Only series he was quiet in was the Washington series.

Briere owned Washington, but didn't do much after that... yet he's a playoff God.
50 pts in 46 games isn't shabby either (Flyers tenure).

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:49 PM
mm6492

Umberger-Carter-JvR
Carcillo-Richards-Zherdev
Giroux-Briere-Leino

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I would have let Umberger go and I would not have signed Hartnell. There are many better ways to spend $4M, I am sorry. Hartnell is a borderline first rate agitator but he takes penalties at inopportune times and teases you with his offensive production. Umberger is a decent player to have because of his versatility but too much jack of all trades master of none for my tastes.

Gun to my head, I'd take Umberger I guess, fits more places in the lineup and had chemistry with Richards.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:23 PM
mm6492

I have no idea how to make it work or even that it is somewhat close to being possible, but here is my dream

Gagne-Richards-Downie
Umberger-Carter-Leino
JvR-Briere-Giroux

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
I would have let Umberger go and I would not have signed Hartnell. There are many better ways to spend $4M, I am sorry. Hartnell is a borderline first rate agitator but he takes penalties at inopportune times and teases you with his offensive production. Umberger is a decent player to have because of his versatility but too much jack of all trades master of none for my tastes.

Gun to my head, I'd take Umberger I guess, fits more places in the lineup and had chemistry with Richards.
No he doesn't. Hartnell has been quite consistent in his offensive production throughout his career. Hartnell has his faults (stupidity being one of them), but going after his offensive production is a read herring. Guy has been a solid mid 20s goals, 20-30 assist guy (I expect more assists with us given the number of goals the guys around him score).

Old
10-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
No he doesn't. Hartnell has been quite consistent in his offensive production throughout his career. Hartnell has his faults (stupidity being one of them), but going after his offensive production is a read herring. Guy has been a solid mid 20s goals, 20-30 assist guy (I expect more assists with us given the number of goals the guys around him score).
After Hartnell signed that huge 6 year deal do you think he delivered like a 4.2M a year player should? In playoffs he was somewhat average with exception of last year.

R.J has been very consitent player on a much worse team after he signed his deal.

Just saying.....

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
PantherStriker

vCash: 50
Somewhat off topic, but I'd take Scottie Upshall back any day over RJ Umberger. Dont get me wrong, RJ was a decent player for us, but Upshall gave us the energy and bite. From what I remember, he wasnt a PIM fiend like who we traded him for... Carcillo is basically a bigger upshall with worse hands.

I'd take Hartnell for the intangibles. He aggravates the opponent, gets under their skin. He also can score more in a season than Umberger. At the end of the day, goals are whats going to win you the game.

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:19 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
After Hartnell signed that huge 6 year deal do you think he delivered like a 4.2M a year player should? In playoffs he was somewhat average with exception of last year.

R.J has been very consitent player on a much worse team after he signed his deal.

Just saying.....
Trade Carter and Hartnell for Nash +!

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

Just saying.....
Hartnell's contract is Holmgren's fault, not his.

However, if Hartnell had not had a **** year last year, then he absolutely has produced like a 4.2M player (outside of the penalties... but you pay for the offense and skill-set). There aren't a lot of guys out there that play a physical game, crash the net, and can get you 25 goals a year.

Old
10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Hartnell's contract is Holmgren's fault, not his.

However, if Hartnell had not had a **** year last year, then he absolutely has produced like a 4.2M player (outside of the penalties... but you pay for the offense and skill-set). There aren't a lot of guys out there that play a physical game, crash the net, and can get you 25 goals a year.
Which he doesn't do enough of.

I'm not sure if I can see here Hartnell here next year, if he has another **** year, much like last year. This guy needs to step up in the regular season and show he's worth his contract.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Which he doesn't do enough of.
...Hartnell is always in front of the net.

How do you think he gets so many GI penalties, standing at the circle?

Old
10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
...Hartnell is always in front of the net.

How do you think he gets so many GI penalties, standing at the circle?
I must be blind.

What did he do different from last season verses two seasons ago?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherStriker View Post
Somewhat off topic, but I'd take Scottie Upshall back any day over RJ Umberger. Dont get me wrong, RJ was a decent player for us, but Upshall gave us the energy and bite. From what I remember, he wasnt a PIM fiend like who we traded him for... Carcillo is basically a bigger upshall with worse hands.

I'd take Hartnell for the intangibles. He aggravates the opponent, gets under their skin. He also can score more in a season than Umberger. At the end of the day, goals are whats going to win you the game.
I like Upshall quite a lot, but he took a lot of unnecessary penalties, he even made his way into Stevens doghouse because of it at a few occassions if I remember things right. I'd definitely prefer him on the team over Carcillo of course, but if one doesn't take cap hit into the equation I'd take both Umberger and Hartnell over Upshall. Though one of the lines I'd like to think about back in the days was a Hartnell-Umberger-Upshall line.

Umberger must be somewhat of a dream player for a coach. He could fill in on pretty much every position except as first line center.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
I must be blind.

Played like a complete dumbass.

His assist total was fine last year, he just wasn't finishing chances... and some of that was some rotten luck. He got robbed by goalies and posts on more than a few occasions.

His shooting % fell to 8.2%, which is well below what he's posted every year since 2002-3. It happens... lets hope he gets it back to the 13-14% he'd posted the previous three years this year, and he'll post good goal totals again.

Old
10-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
He shot at 8.2% as opposed to his average in his first two years as a Flyer, 13.95%. As bad as Hartnell was last year, the guy largely couldn't buy a break. If he shoots around 14% last year, he would've had around 24 goals. If we wanna see him break 30 again, he's probably going to need 200 or so (as he did in 09 when he went 30-30)

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Played like a complete dumbass.

His assist total was fine last year, he just wasn't finishing chances... and some of that was some rotten luck. He got robbed by goalies and posts on more than a few occasions.

His shooting % fell to 8.2%, which is well below what he's posted every year since 2002-3. It happens... lets hope he gets it back to the 13-14% he'd posted the previous three years this year, and he'll post good goal totals again.
Your edit was well-timed, sir (unless, of course, I simply didn't read your whole post...I've had a tendency to jump in on this question pretty quickly).

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote