HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is now the time to try Gilroy at Forward?

Old
10-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
I seriously don't understand those of you who think this is a good idea. What offensive potential has Gilroy even shown in his time here? He can't QB a powerplay AT ALL. He doesn't stickhandle through or around people. He doesn't have an above-average shot. He doesn't even pass all that impressively. I don't think he's going to have much more of a NHL career.

Why would you want to add a soft, undersized forward who shies away from any semblance of physicality??!! Do you really think Gilroy on the wing is a better option than the forwards we actually have?

I'd want to see Christensen, MZA, Grachev, Weise, Byers get top 9 spots before MATT FRIGGIN GILROY. I'm glad he had a nice college career. Most people never get to play a single game in the NHL. He's played over a full season. *hand-clap* He can play in the AHL for the rest of the year and hopefully isn't re-signed. I can almost see it in his eyes, he's just not mentally tough enough right now, and at age 26, his "upside" isn't really worth another contract and waiting and hoping that he becomes a top 4 offensive d-man by age 30. The guy isn't above average at any one thing, except maybe skating. And he's below average at quite a few things. I know it's early in this season and we heard a lot about Gilroy improving over the summer, but I've seen enough of this player, at least for now. Sauer and Eminger should be the 3rd pair, and Valentenko should be called up for any injury if he continues to play well in Hartford.

Trying him at forward? REALLY?? Boogard has a better chance of playing defense.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Scooter17

If they are going to try Gilroy at forward it should be in the AHL. The NHL is not the place to experiment with a project like that.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
IMO Gilroy took some big strides in coming into camp ready to play more physical. He looked good. He deserves a shot on D, not being thrown into the forward role on what will most likely be a poor line to play with

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Ail
k.

I certainly don't want him anywhere near the blueline from now on, and the only things he has ever done for the team that are positive, has been offensively.

It couldn't hurt for a game or two, considering the next couple games are probably a bust anyway.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
IMO Gilroy took some big strides in coming into camp ready to play more physical. He looked good. He deserves a shot on D, not being thrown into the forward role on what will most likely be a poor line to play with
Is that a joke? Gilroy has shown nothing for the past 2 seasons in a row and doesnt deserve a shot on the nyr defense and ESPECIALLY offense. Valentenko out played gilroy in every facet of the game and he and sauer should make up our 3rd pairing. Then bring up one of grachev, MZA, weise, someone who can play wing and there you go. Our 3rd pairing is solid with 2 young two way defensman and we can see what MZA or Grachev has on the wing with either EC or White. Leave the rest of the lines alone and we may be able to win a couple of games.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

He's too old for me to have any hope in his game... When will he be a serviceable NHL defenseman, when he's 30? Rangers need to make a trade for a 3rd pairing left-handed defenseman, and fast. Eminger can't stay on his feet and takes himself out of position to make hits.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Who cares if hes left handed or right handed.. it makes no difference, as long as they can play defense and add some snarl on our back end. Bring up Valentenko and let him play with Sauer and that completes our 3rd pairing. A solid two way defensive pairing that can shutdown 3rd and 4th lines while adding alittle offense.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:38 PM
John Torturella

He is already trying to play forward.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
He is already trying to play forward.
this.

there were shifts out there last night when i had no idea what the hell he was doing....

either test him at forward or dump him....i have always been a gilroy supporter but he will never be a natural d-man...hes to caught up in offense

there was one shift last night when he was PRESSING which our center should have obviously been doing....that really made me go insane

Im not sure he would be horrible as a winger and think they should at least try him there...cuz he sure as hell has no future on this squad as a d-man

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:34 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
As much as I'd love to see Gilroy be an effective winger, it's just not happening. Really, it's just not gonna work. We can give it a shot with all these injuries for the hell of it, but I will gladly eat my hat if he turns into something useful.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:52 PM
RangersFlames

not everyone is dustin byfuglien man....

RangersFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:56 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Gilroy went undrafted as a forward. Its only after he was converted to defense he turned into a late bloomer. He needs to stay has a defender.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I fail to see what he's done as a defenseman that would indicate he would be an NHL caliber forward.

10-18-2010, 02:22 PM
ruckus*

I don't think there's any reason to try him at wing. A failed experiment is a failed experiment. You can't knock the Rangers for trying it if they do, just like you can't knock them for hoping to catch lightning in a bottle when they signed him.

We weren't the only ones after him.

I've taken crap on here since the beginning of last season when it was obvious this guy wasn't ready for the NHL and wasn't any good.

I don't think the Rangers handled his situation right. He should've been in the A last year but when you pay a player that much right off the bat you want an ROI.

My biggest problem right now is with Sather and Tortorella for even having him on the roster.

It's amazing to me that they think he gives us a better chance than Sauer or one of the kids we have in Hartford.

It's insulting really.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:22 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I am a supporter of Gilroy and said it was way too early to give up on him. That being said, he had an awful game against the Leafs (where we had like what, ten 2-1s against or something? He had that one awful play at the blueline and aside from that did nothing...

I think it may be time to give it a shot at least, he does have good puck-handling skills, and would be less of a liability if he can do it. Who knows, it's worth a shot, especially if Torts has lost all confidence in him (which I think he is close to doing).

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:25 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I am a supporter of Gilroy and said it was way too early to give up on him. That being said, he had an awful game against the Leafs (where we had like what, ten 2-1s against or something? He had that one awful play at the blueline and aside from that did nothing...

I think it may be time to give it a shot at least, he does have good puck-handling skills, and would be less of a liability if he can do it. Who knows, it's worth a shot, especially if Torts has lost all confidence in him (which I think he is close to doing).
I'm not convinced he has.

He gave the reason for Gilroy getting his chance because he had such a good pre-season.

If he gives up on him after one or two games then he's either as fickle as some of us think he is, or a liar in one respect or another.

For a guy who likes to switch things up so much, you'd think Torts would switch things up in a way that would actually help us for once.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
howztheglass

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
I have no faith in Gilroy at this point. None.

A NHL defenseman should be able to get a hard shot through to the net from the point, let alone one that should be an offensive defenseman.

I wrote this in the around the NHL link but I thought it might belong here instead.

Very good point.After watching Gilroy play defense last season and 1 game this year he is NOT NHL material for a D-man--having played defense for many years in various leagues the only time Gilroy is comfortable is on the rush from behind the net(something forwards are use to flying along the boards waiting for the pass).Next time he plays watch his position along the boards in the offensive zone he never moves to the middle of the ice because he's afraid the other teams player is going to get by him(this is also part of the reason why his shot never gets through to the net--trying to shoot it through the other teams player).Not saying I know everything(which someone will write)but Gilroy should not be learning how to play defense at the NHL level the AHL is where he should be honing his craft--but you can see why he played forward in college(he is a good skater,has some speed and can stick handle he just looks like he afraid to make a mistake).I don't know why the Rangers wanted him as a D-man send him down to the Pack(Whale whom ever)and let him play wing and see what he can do--can't be worst then now(even though I don't believe it all his fault).

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Gilroy should have never made the team out of camp last year. He dominated kids he had as much as 4 years on. To them transition to playing against professional men is asking a lot. He should have started in the A.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:07 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
he has no value as a forward. i doubt he ever will but he has to be given time to develop as an defenseman, whether that's in the nhl or not remains to be seen.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 04:25 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Is that a joke? Gilroy has shown nothing for the past 2 seasons in a row and doesnt deserve a shot on the nyr defense and ESPECIALLY offense. Valentenko out played gilroy in every facet of the game and he and sauer should make up our 3rd pairing. Then bring up one of grachev, MZA, weise, someone who can play wing and there you go. Our 3rd pairing is solid with 2 young two way defensman and we can see what MZA or Grachev has on the wing with either EC or White. Leave the rest of the lines alone and we may be able to win a couple of games.
lol, Gilroy's been in the NHL for a season and a few games.

Grachev has shown nothing in the AHL yet, until then there's no reason to give him a shot, especially in the bottom 6.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Chalfdiggity3

lol and in that season and a couple of games has the kid shown anything that shows he can actually play DEFENSE or do anything else? My answer and what i see is no, he should be down in the AHL till he can learn defense and is certainly a waste of 1.6m in caproom. Bring up MZA and let him play, Grachev was just someone else i was throwin around with names to bring up.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:57 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
I got killed for bringing this up a little while ago.

He was a career forward till he got to BU. At the college level his defensive mistakes were covered up by his offensive potential and skating ability. That aint happening here. If he's got experience with the position, it's not a doomsday senario to give it a try imo.
His mistakes were covered up by his defensive partner Brian Strait who now patrols the blue line for Wilkes Barre Penguins.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
egelband

he's a pretty poor defender so i'd say go for it. maybe that speed and alleged skill could be put to better use. not sure what he provides as a forward though. need to see it.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
i think he's be more useful to us as a forward

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Gilroy be more useful to us in the Ahl learning how to play defense. Him and Eminger needs to go. Bring up Sauer and Valentenko and play them. They have a solid two way game and add much needed snarl to the back end.

Stop with the embarrassments of Eminger and Gilroy already, enough is enough with the ******** experimentation.