HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Leagues in the GVRD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
  #1
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Leagues in the GVRD

Where do you guys play, those of you from the Vancouver area?
I'm wondering what your experiences have been in all the different leagues around here.
I've played Coast in Richmond (s**t)
What are the best leagues out there?

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 06:42 PM
  #2
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Where do you guys play, those of you from the Vancouver area?
I'm wondering what your experiences have been in all the different leagues around here.
I've played Coast in Richmond (s**t)
What are the best leagues out there?
I currently play in the Coast Hockey League and like it, what's **** about it for you? Ice times can be a bit late, but other than that it seems like a good, well organized beer league.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
  #3
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I currently play in the Coast Hockey League and like it, what's **** about it for you? Ice times can be a bit late, but other than that it seems like a good, well organized beer league.
My only beef with it is the ice time. They really screw you on it. We've had slots where we get no more than 35 minutes stop time. Instead of guaranteeing you X amount of minutes, they do.. what is it? 10 minutes, 15 minutes, and then "whatevers left"? It's really not acceptable sometimes. Especially for the price per game. I've only subbed at GPF in their beer league but I found it to be better organized and have never had an issue with guaranteed ice time.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 07:54 PM
  #4
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
My only beef with it is the ice time. They really screw you on it. We've had slots where we get no more than 35 minutes stop time. Instead of guaranteeing you X amount of minutes, they do.. what is it? 10 minutes, 15 minutes, and then "whatevers left"? It's really not acceptable sometimes. Especially for the price per game. I've only subbed at GPF in their beer league but I found it to be better organized and have never had an issue with guaranteed ice time.
You get 1:15 mins of ice time no matter what I think, including warmup. Seems to work out to 10 mins stop time for the 1st period, 15 min stop time 2nd, and about 15 min stop time 3rd, which for me is plenty, I'm always BEAT by the end! My main beef is more that games can be quite late (not so much in the summer, but in the winter there's enough games ending close to midnight, then I have to get back to Kits).

As for other leagues, I know there's a league at UBC, our team looked into it as we most live much closer to UBC than Richmond, but it's even pricier than the CHL.
http://www.thunderbirdarena.ubc.ca/l...ens-league.php

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:03 PM
  #5
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
You get 1:15 mins of ice time no matter what I think, including warmup. Seems to work out to 10 mins stop time for the 1st period, 15 min stop time 2nd, and about 15 min stop time 3rd, which for me is plenty, I'm always BEAT by the end! My main beef is more that games can be quite late (not so much in the summer, but in the winter there's enough games ending close to midnight, then I have to get back to Kits).

As for other leagues, I know there's a league at UBC, our team looked into it as we most live much closer to UBC than Richmond, but it's even pricier than the CHL.
http://www.thunderbirdarena.ubc.ca/l...ens-league.php

I heard UBC had some good Ice though. Might make up for the cost? I'm going to look into UBC next year because I might be out in Vancouver instead of the burbs by then.

I am not playing Coast this season but I've subbed a few times and I hear that the ice time situation is getting better. Sometimes we'd have refs showing up late or just not starting on time and taking 10+ minutes off the start of the game. One time we had a 10 stop, 12 running, 10 stop, and that really wasn't enough. I used to play on the island in IslandHockey101 and they gave you 2x30min running time periods every game, never any exceptions. That was pretty good. If everyone remembers it's running time and doesn't stall for time you usually are able to get 45-50 of ice time pretty easily which is a lot better than Coast's sometimes 35!

I heard the owner of coast was in trouble for embezzlement and that's why they've cleaned up a lot this season (don't know the degree of truth to that though).

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
  #6
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
ASHL at 8 Rinks has decent ice times. Well organized, decent reffing, tons of divs. But every season has a wait list for teams a mile long.

I also play ICE604 mainly at 8 Rinks (sometimes at Canlan's 3 rinks in North Van) but ice times in winter are 10:30 to 11:30. During the summer it's better ice time.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
  #7
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Has anyone played out at the langley sportsplex in any leagues?

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:11 AM
  #8
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
ASHL at 8 Rinks has decent ice times. Well organized, decent reffing, tons of divs. But every season has a wait list for teams a mile long.
Are there also long waitlists for single players not on a team? What about goalies? If you happen to know.

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:48 AM
  #9
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
Are there also long waitlists for single players not on a team? What about goalies? If you happen to know.
I dunno about single players, I've either found teams on craigslist or through guys I took power skating at 8 Rinks with.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 03:27 AM
  #10
Chobomin
Registered User
 
Chobomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
I'm playing in ACE League in Richmond, my first season there. 20min x 2 periods, stop time. Only 9 teams but the league is pretty well run, my only gripe is the late ice-times (I live in Coquitlam) but for hockey it's worth it IMO.

Chobomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:23 PM
  #11
elriz
Registered User
 
elriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,298
vCash: 500
ASHL is the best run league in terms of ice times and perks (national championships, fast responses to disputes, etc). it has so many divs it's very easy to play a level you're comfortable with. saying all that, it is also usually the most expensive and is hard to get a brand new team into.

planet ice and ice604 are okay, never played in the fraser valley or in any other "local to vancouver" leagues.

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:40 PM
  #12
jlnjcb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Any leagues in Vancouver for a 17 year old beginner? I can't fit Vancouver Minor Hockey into my schedule - i want something thats a bit more recreational.

Any suggestions?

(sorry OP for slightly stealing your thread)

jlnjcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:31 PM
  #13
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnjcb View Post
Any leagues in Vancouver for a 17 year old beginner? I can't fit Vancouver Minor Hockey into my schedule - i want something thats a bit more recreational.

Any suggestions?

(sorry OP for slightly stealing your thread)
When you hit 19 you'll be eligible for ASHL, ICE604 (18 actually), etc. Unfortunately you'll need to a season or two. You should still be able to hit stick & puck sessions at 8 Rinks or your local arena.

I'd call the arenas that are around you and find out if there's any programs or groups for your age group and skill level. They may not run it, but at the very least they should have contact info for guys that do.

If you're headed to UBC or another post-secondary after high school, they may have rec leagues you should look into.

As much as I love the lower mainland, it sucks there's no outdoor pond hockey for kids and the young at heart to just lace up and have some fun. Might have to move back to Alberta if my kid gets into hockey.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:06 PM
  #14
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,832
vCash: 500
I agree with nullterm, just practice for now and join a league once you're old enough to play men's beer league, you'll want to practice a bunch and get somewhat decent first anyways. Over the next year or two just hit up tonnes of stick and puck, free skate, and even drop in full equipment hockey, when you're old enough to play beer league in a year or two you'll have WAY more fun if you have some basic hockey/skating skills down anyways.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:02 PM
  #15
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
FYI ice604 is the most noob friendly league. by farrrrrr.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:41 PM
  #16
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
FYI ice604 is the most noob friendly league. by farrrrrr.
http://vachl.com/

Heard good things about this, but never had any first hand experience. Was told it's more newbie friendly and less attitude than ASHL or even ICE604.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:10 AM
  #17
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Good to know re: ice604 and vachl.

Will be useful in a year or two when I can actually skate

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:11 AM
  #18
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,648
vCash: 500
I play up in the UBC league. It's not bad. Certainly convenient for me, location-wise. My main problems with it are that they don't split it up into certain nights for divisions, so you can play at basically any time of the week, and also paying the 6 bucks for parking every game blows.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:34 AM
  #19
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
FYI ice604 is the most noob friendly league. by farrrrrr.
This. My noob ass team won a mid tier Championship (I think 4 or 5) and we're getting ripped in a lower division in Coast.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:58 AM
  #20
jlnjcb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
define beginner: I can skate forward decently, i can stop decently, i cant do much crossovers, and i cant skate backwards.

jlnjcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:26 AM
  #21
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnjcb View Post
define beginner: I can skate forward decently, i can stop decently, i cant do much crossovers, and i cant skate backwards.
Find a spot on a bottom div in either ASHL or ICE604 and you'd be right at home. Lots of guys just starting out the same as you.

I'd definitely recommend some level 1 power skating classes w/ full hockey gear. It'll help immensely to fill out the gaps in your skating and you'll have alot more fun.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:30 AM
  #22
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
This. My noob ass team won a mid tier Championship (I think 4 or 5) and we're getting ripped in a lower division in Coast.
what's your team name, might have played you guys

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.