HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Kennedy & Talbot expendable?

Old
10-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Sideline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Yeah thats why I mention the "change of scenery" trade idea.
Maybe swap him for someone of similar salary with one less year:
Ryder-4
Sturm-3.5
(Though I doubt Boston wants to add salary for another year. Just examples.)
Or maybe we can trade him for our deadline rental and keep our other assets.
Brunette or Gagne if either team feels they would benifit from having another year of a good player.(And a chance to extend him if he fits well into thier system/rebuilding.)

Then we clear all our forward salary except the big three, Cooke, and two RFAs.
Then its time to go shopping.

Eh maybe. I doubt he'd get anything over 2 after just one year. Even Burrows isnt making more than 2 million.
It think its still do-able though. If Kunitz goes.
Kunitz/Rupp/Asham/Comrie salarys=2 FA winger. 3 million range
Dupuis=Letestu money
Adams salary=Jeffrey
Godard salary=Re-signed/Other enforcer
I like it. It's a tight fit though. That 6 million for Crosby's wingers puts us in the market for one or two from this calibre of player:
- Zherdev
- Moulson
- Backes
- Fleischmann
- Jokinen
- Laich
- Upshall
- Vrbata
- Sturm
- Brunette

Nobody on that list is great. Still I think you can make some interesting lines with Crosby and 2 of those guys.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
JTG

Letestu is an RFA, so that sort of handcuffs him as to how much he could be looking for.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Letestu is an RFA, so that sort of handcuffs him as to how much he could be looking for.
Is he arbitration eligible?

Old
10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I like it. It's a tight fit though. That 6 million for Crosby's wingers puts us in the market for one or two from this calibre of player:
- Zherdev
- Moulson
- Backes
- Fleischmann
- Jokinen
- Laich
- Upshall
- Vrbata
- Sturm
- Brunette

Nobody on that list is great. Still I think you can make some interesting lines with Crosby and 2 of those guys.
Yup I posted a similar list. Only with Miettenen, Leino, Prucha, and Justin Williams also.
I think Backes is working his way into the 4 million range though.

I like Vrbata and one of J Jokinen, Fleischman or Laich myself.

Itd be tight but possible.
Another thing ive suggested. Replace Rupp, Adams and Godards role with Kenopka then maybe we dont need to carry a 13th forward all year long. Just for road trips or when someones DTD. Our enforcer would also be an everyday contributor. That would especially work if we keep Engellend as our #7 so that we can play 7 D, 11 Fwds when we need added toughness.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Yup I posted a similar list. Only with Miettenen, Leino, Prucha, and Justin Williams also.

Another thing ive suggested. Replace Rupp, Adams and Godards role with Kenopka then maybe we dont need to carry a 13th forward all year long. Just for road trips or when someones DTD. Our enforcer would also be an everyday contributor. That would especially work if we keep Engellend as our #7 so that we can play 7 D, 11 Fwds when we need added toughness.
The 13th forward thing really depends on what we have in WBS for call ups that don't need to clear waivers. Injuries and illnesses happen and even if you're not carrying 13 for cap reasons you need 13 available on short notice.

Laich would be one of my first choices. A lot of the other guys listed are soff. Fleischman and Zherdev in particular strike me as guys Shero wouldn't touch until they were in similar situations to Comrie this year.

Old
10-18-2010, 01:50 PM
KIRK

Quote:

Personally, I'd just like to see RS budget 2.3M instead of 3.3M for his 10th - 13th forwards. Then, he'd have 2.4M for a winger instead of the 1.4M Dupuis is being paid to be a scoring line winger by default.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:52 PM
regard

Quote:
The 13th forward thing really depends on what we have in WBS for call ups that don't need to clear waivers. Injuries and illnesses happen and even if you're not carrying 13 for cap reasons you need 13 available on short notice.
Good point.
I was thinking Nick Johnson or maybe Vitale. Not sure if theyd be safe from waivers. Id think Vitale would be without looking into it.

Old
10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
- Zherdev
- Moulson
- Backes
- Fleischmann
- Jokinen
- Laich
- Upshall
- Vrbata
- Sturm
- Brunette

Shero is familiar with Upshall. He was with Poile when they drafted him in Nashville. Shero made an effort to get another Predator that he was familiar with (Hamhuis) so I'd say there is a possibility he could try for Upshall this summer...

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:06 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Shero is familiar with Upshall. He was with Poile when they drafted him in Nashville. Shero made an effort to get another Predator that he was familiar with (Hamhuis) so I'd say there is a possibility he could try for Upshall this summer...
Depending on what Upshall shows this season with the Yotes after coming off of that bad injury I would enjoy having him as a Pen. Although there is a concern about durability as he has never played an entire season. The closest he has ever come was 61 games in 07-08.

If he doesn't at least play that many this season even though I enjoy him as a player I'd have reservations about signing him.

Out of that list the one I would be most interested in would be Backes. He fell off in goal production last season compared to the season before. He seems durable, excluding his rookie year the minium games he has played in one season is 72. In 08-09 was a 30 goal scorer, and has a right hand shot.

Although he could be challenging to fit in or get if he returns a a 30g, 50+ points player again. I doubt we get him, actually highly doubt. But... Just stating he would be my preferred at least off of that short list of wingers.

Last edited by SterlingBennett: 10-18-2010 at 03:11 PM.
SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:15 AM
PGHSports

When Staal and Asham come back, I would expect either Tangradi to be sent down or Comrie be released and Kennedy to seat.

Kennedy does nothing, he doesn't kill Pentalies, doesn't get PP time. Talbot kills pentalies and is a faceoff guy.

As for Godard, seeing Carkner tonight, he still has a role on this team. Mike Rupp puts the fear into nobody and I am sure when we play the Rangers and 6'8 Derek Boogaard runs around alot more people to realize this. I think the 4th line will be something like Kenndy/Comrie/Tangradi-Rupp-Adams, with Godard replacing Adams on some nights..

You will see something like this..

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Staal-Malkin-Talbot
Cooke-Letestu-Asham
Kennedy/Comrie/Tangradi-Rupp-Adams/Godard

PGHSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:21 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHSports View Post
When Staal and Asham come back, I would expect either Tangradi to be sent down or Comrie be released and Kennedy to seat.

Kennedy does nothing, he doesn't kill Pentalies, doesn't get PP time. Talbot kills pentalies and is a faceoff guy.

As for Godard, seeing Carkner tonight, he still has a role on this team. Mike Rupp puts the fear into nobody and I am sure when we play the Rangers and 6'8 Derek Boogaard runs around alot more people to realize this. I think the 4th line will be something like Kenndy/Comrie/Tangradi-Rupp-Adams, with Godard replacing Adams on some nights..

I sincerely hope Dan Bylsma (or at least Ray Shero) thinks the absolute opposite of what you do.

Holy mother of Christ!

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:25 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Staal-Malkin-Talbot
Cooke-Letestu-Asham

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:55 AM
PGHSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I sincerely hope Dan Bylsma (or at least Ray Shero) thinks the absolute opposite of what you do.

Holy mother of Christ!

Comrie is horrible and Tangradi can be sent down without going through waives, makes sense for him to go down for a month or two until a deal is made..

Tyler Kennedy is nothing special, he is a remake of Jeff Daniels.. The guy is another one that has down pretty much nothing in the last 50+ games including last playoffs.

PGHSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Dupree13

I don't know if they cut Comrie, but as for as Tangradi goes I agree. As of right now Tangradi is definitely in line to go down. For him to stay up he had to play so well that they wouldn't have a choice but to keep him and he's not doing that.

He's done some good things but he's not been overly impressive. He brings certain elements that nobody else does, but that won't be enough. Just look at the minimal ice-time he's getting, the writing is on the wall for ET. The fact that he doesn't have to go through waivers just clinches it.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:46 AM
regard

Quote:
Tangradi probably will be sent back to the AHL maybe for the rest of the season except for other call-ups. Thats not such a bad thing we'll see him again next year.
Comrie could possibly be waived since Bylsma already doesnt like him. I however disagree that Kennedy should...........seat.

Quote:
Wrong.
Theres more to winning games then PK and PP.

Quote:
Rupp doesnt have to strike fear into anyone.
I agree that our only real need right now for Godard is Anti-Boogaard. Tangradi wont be put on our 4th line. That would be terrible. Putting Comrie with Rupp and Adams would be a waste, might as well waive him. And Rupp is not our 4th line center.

Quote:
You will see something like this..

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Staal-Malkin-Talbot
Cooke-Letestu-Asham
No you wont.

Old
10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Kunitz/Crosby/Comrie
Letestu/Staal/Malkin
Cooke/Talbot/Asham
Dupuis/Rupp/Kennedy
Godard
Adams and Tangradi to WBS

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:34 AM
JTG

Why can't we put Letestu on the wing again?

He's a smart player, I think he'd be able to adapt pretty quickly.

Old
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

We can, and probably will in my estimation. Just give it some time. He'll end up there at some point this year unless we make a substantial trade.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:52 AM
DreamBeaut

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Comrie-Letestu-Malkin
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

Letestu-Crosby-Malkin
Goligoski-Letang

dirtayyy

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I am concerned for your well being. I guess I should give you credit for not drooling this time.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:17 AM
DreamBeaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
I am concerned for your well being. I guess I should give you credit for not drooling this time.

always looking out for me!

:drool: works on other boards for me, guess I just assumed!

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Why can't we put Letestu on the wing again?

He's a smart player, I think he'd be able to adapt pretty quickly.
They talked yesterday on the broadcast that they're working with him one on one on becoming a winger and getting used to the right wall. The kid claims he's NEVER played wing, so I guess they're going to see how comfy he is.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Hail Stannis

Quote:
No, but when someone creates a thread on ignorance, I tend to defend the player.

It's really that simple. Anyone who has even casually watched the last 6 games would see Kennedy being one of our better forecheckers, his line sustaining a cycle, his line being able to bottle the opposition up, they are getting scoring chances, he's forcing turnovers, and he is personally drawing penalties. The guy has drawn as many penalties as any player on this roster, I believe.

I could understand in the beginning of the season how people thought he was on the bubble. How people think that now though is just beyond me. No he doesn't have the stats, but neither do our 2 superstars. Adams, Talbot, Rupp, and Dupuis have their roster spots way more in doubt than Kennedy, IMO

Creating a thread citing stats as if it's the be all end all shows that you watch the game but have no idea what you're talking about, or you don't watch the game. Either way doesn't bode well for credibility when making such claims.
I mean no disrespect at all and I actually agree with you. I'm loving TK right now, I just can't stand to see people use that argument.

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLahey89 View Post
I mean no disrespect at all and I actually agree with you. I'm loving TK right now, I just can't stand to see people use that argument.
It only applies in certain instances. It's a bunk argument when someone has a differing opinion that could be right or wrong, but rather than argue, someone says "do you watch the game?" This wasn't one of those. A casual hockey fan could watch these games and see that Kennedy has the ability to make an impact. After one of his better games, to start a thread stating that he's on the bubble, the only conclusion you can come to is, this person can't possibly be watching these games. Either that or the hate for the player is that strong that the guy has blinders on.

Old
10-19-2010, 11:24 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
They talked yesterday on the broadcast that they're working with him one on one on becoming a winger and getting used to the right wall. The kid claims he's NEVER played wing, so I guess they're going to see how comfy he is.
Great to hear. I think he will be a very quick study. I am also intrigued to see where they put him. I think he is one of the more intelligent and creative guys on this roster, so seeing him with Sid could be something great.