HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Cablevision Vs. News Corp.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
If you guys have a Digital TV (which is any TV made after March of 2007) then all you need to do to get FOX is go buy a cheap pair of rabbit ears at radio shack or something. If your TV is analog and not digital then you'd need a converter box because they don't broadcast analog signals over-the-air anymore, only digital ones.
That's one of the reasons Cablevision isn't going with the price increase. They are simply saying they won't carry it since their consumers can go out and get it for free if they REALLY wanted to.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:00 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Bottom line here is that you DO have choices. Use them.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:35 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Seriously, for me, all I need is
MSG, MSG+, Versus, YES, SNY, & the Italian channel. If I could get those 6, then all I'd need is an antenna.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 01:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Day 3 and all's quiet. Source close to the negotiations said Cablevision/Fox are not talking today. The 2 made no progress over the weekend.
https://twitter.com/#!/Ourand_SBJ/status/27759869633

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Pound for pound, the battle between Cablevision and Fox appears to pit a runt against a heavy-weight fighter, analysts say. So why is Cablevision fighting so hard against New Corp. in its battle over fees paid to retransmit Fox's shows?

To get federal officials to step into what appear to be increasingly contentious negotiations between broadcasters and cable/satellite video distributors, analysts say. Fox's blackout to Cablevision's 3 million subscribers has entered its third day as both sides meet again to try to agree to a new contract.

"Today, retransmission consent disputes pit a government-mandated monopoly broadcaster against a distributor for whom there are readily available substitutes. It was never a fair fight," said Craig Moffett, an analyst at Sanford and Bernstein in a research note to investors. "Regulatory and/or legislative intervention could be the great leveler, and that may be what Cablevision is playing for."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pos...ox-cablev.html

Sound strategy by Cablevision. Channel 5 and Channel 9 are local over the air stations. They are not cable channels. They are free. The FCC licenses these channels. These stations have to apply to the FCC for renewal of their licenses. DISH Network's deal with FOX expires November 1. They have 14 million subs. DISH and FOX are already in brawl for the regional sports nets.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:35 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'll only miss Fox one day a week, so I'm cool with it unless this thing drags out until the NFL playoffs.

EDIT: Just realized that the Jets play on FOX in 2 weeks, it better be done by then otherwise I'll have to go to the bar for that one.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:25 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pos...ox-cablev.html

Sound strategy by Cablevision. Channel 5 and Channel 9 are local over the air stations. They are not cable channels. They are free.
Only... they're not free.

They're free to you and me with antennas. But Cablevision isn't allowed to just take the feeds (which WNYW/WWOR and other OTA nets send to it hard-wired) and put them on its system free. It's called retransmission, meaning Cablevision/Dish/FiOS/RCN/TW, etc have to pay for the right to re-transmit over-the-air channels. It's why those cable/satellite companies can say they provide top shows, sports, etc. It's why they use "we carry all your local channels" as a selling point.

Cablevision is also majorly in the wrong on this one, too. News Corp. offered it the same exact deal it offered other cable/sat companies... and CV rejected it. Submitting to binding arbitration basically rewards CV for being stubborn. lol
Also, CV pays MORE to it's own family of companies for just MSG and MSG+ than what News Corp. is asking for.

It's a ****** situation, and it's only gonna get worse. Several other deals between networks & cable/sat providers are expiring soon.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Balej20*

I don't care who's fault it is, the customers pay Cablevision, they should figure this out without getting the customer involved (ie the embarrassing PSA they are running on a loop on channel 5 right now. Gotta love when a greedy corporate monopoly who puts out a **** product and rips off its customers has the nerve to call out another corporation for the same ****).

I can't even count the amount of problems I've had with Cablevision in the 4 short months I've been with them. Between receiving multiple faulty boxes, poor customer service, a fluctuating bill every single month with no explanation for it...the list goes on and on. I've finally had enough. I told them to put a note on my account that the next time I have an issue with them will be the last time. I will be switching over to Verizon (another criminal corporation, but what are you gonna do).

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I don't care who's fault it is, the customers pay Cablevision, they should figure this out without getting the customer involved (ie the embarrassing PSA they are running on a loop on channel 5 right now. Gotta love when a greedy corporate monopoly who puts out a **** product and rips off its customers has the nerve to call out another corporation for the same ****).

I can't even count the amount of problems I've had with Cablevision in the 4 short months I've been with them. Between receiving multiple faulty boxes, poor customer service, a fluctuating bill every single month with no explanation for it...the list goes on and on. I've finally had enough. I told them to put a note on my account that the next time I have an issue with them will be the last time. I will be switching over to Verizon (another criminal corporation, but what are you gonna do).
Cablevision could solve this tomorrow. Do yo want your bill to go up?

10-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Cablevision could solve this tomorrow. Do yo want your bill to go up?
You completely missed my point. They are putting their customers in the middle of a dispute that the customer has no control over. The PSA they are running right now is ridiculously hypocritical and embarrassing. And hell, they charge so damn much for their half assed product, they could easily pay Newscorp a little more and cut their fees to their customer on the other end to balance it out.

I am usually on the side of the free market and companies, but I will NEVER support such a corrupt company, who blindly robs from it's customers.

Old
10-19-2010, 09:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You completely missed my point. They are putting their customers in the middle of a dispute that the customer has no control over. The PSA they are running right now is ridiculously hypocritical and embarrassing. And hell, they charge so damn much for their half assed product, they could easily pay Newscorp a little more and cut their fees to their customer on the other end to balance it out.

I am usually on the side of the free market and companies, but I will NEVER support such a corrupt company, who blindly robs from it's customers.
I do get it.

Devil's advocate: News Corp could have kept the programming on while there are negotiations in good faith occurring. They also could accept binding arbitration. They could also lowering their asking price to be more in line with what other broadcast companies are paid.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I do get it.

Devil's advocate: News Corp could have kept the programming on while there are negotiations in good faith occurring. They also could accept binding arbitration. They could also lowering their asking price to be more in line with what other broadcast companies are paid.
Like I said, I don't care who is at fault (both probably are, with Newscorp slightly more at fault), but the bottom line is, we pay Cablevision. They should leave the customers out of it.

Old
10-19-2010, 09:43 AM
dfings

Just an FYI in CT I still get fox on channel 25 with cablevision. The HD channels are out and 5 and 9 but it is coming in on 25 right now.

dfings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Noones ie mentioning the real issue here, which is advertising revenue.

Fox makes its money through the commercials, which are paid for by the sponsors that run them. When Cablevision retransmits fox broadcasts, they insert some of their own local commercials, which cablevision makes money off of.

This begs the question... why should fox not charge Cablevision for this? In addition to being able to market fox to their customers, they also benefit from fox viewers. As long as what fox is asking for is in line with their cut of the revenue cablevision creates by carrying their shows, why shouldn't fox charge?

With over the air broadcasts, all the commercials you see directly benefit fox, which is why you can get it for "free."

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Like I said, I don't care who is at fault (both probably are, with Newscorp slightly more at fault), but the bottom line is, we pay Cablevision. They should leave the customers out of it.
And I said they could leave the customers out of it and just pay News Corp. But you will see that reflected in your bill.

On pure PR level, I find the idea that News Corp won't go to binding arbitration to be a lot more compelling than "go find another service provider."

Old
10-19-2010, 10:03 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Noones ie mentioning the real issue here, which is advertising revenue.

Fox makes its money through the commercials, which are paid for by the sponsors that run them. When Cablevision retransmits fox broadcasts, they insert some of their own local commercials, which cablevision makes money off of.

This begs the question... why should fox not charge Cablevision for this? In addition to being able to market fox to their customers, they also benefit from fox viewers. As long as what fox is asking for is in line with their cut of the revenue cablevision creates by carrying their shows, why shouldn't fox charge?

With over the air broadcasts, all the commercials you see directly benefit fox, which is why you can get it for "free."
Nobody is saying Fox shouldn't charge Cablevision for it. It's the amount of money they want to charge.

Old
10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Dead

I like Cable vision. Had them forever, and the past year has been the best. OI Gold package, all the on-demand channels, center ice, NHL Channel, phone, internet w/boost.... I cant beat the price either...

Helps having a wifey that works for cable vision though

Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
I like Cable vision. Had them forever, and the past year has been the best. OI Gold package, all the on-demand channels, center ice, NHL Channel, phone, internet w/boost.... I cant beat the price either...

Helps having a wifey that works for cable vision though
So that completely kills your argument right there

Old
10-19-2010, 10:22 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Companies have lost revenue since the crisis began, so they are trying to fleece their existing clients to recoup losses.

What Fox is doing is holding Cablevision hostage. If those numbers are true, what they are asking for is totally excessive.

I ask you this; would you expect anything else from Rupert Murdoch?

They should can Fox, and pass the savings to the customers. I'll go to my friend's place or a bar to watch the Giants/Yanks. The rest of their programming is garbage.

Or maybe...here's a crazy thought... they should update their cable box software since the current software is from 1998. 1998!!!!!

Last edited by KreiMeARiver: 10-19-2010 at 10:27 AM.
KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Ovens

I'm really no fan of Cablevison, or it's owner!, and when the day comes that FIOS finally is given access to MSG HD is the day I get FIOS.

That aside I'm actually on Cablevsion's side in this, Newscorp is growing stronger and stronger, it's eating up broadcasters and broadcasting rights around the world, it wants the monopoly, sure it's a free market, but we all know the final outcome with monopoly providers.

The more millions the Newscorp rake in the more ability they have to take over further broadcasters and bid and win the rights to any national sporting event that you care to name, now ten years down the road many folks won't care who is broadcasting the world series or the superbowl, but do people really want all of this "power" to be in the hands of one man.

Aside from this Newscorp is pumping millions into the forthcoming elections to try and push their political agenda, I don't want a broadcaster with any political agenda, either side of the debate to be able to pump millions of dollars into the system to skew it in one direction and in turn gain huge lobbying power, the final destination of a world with Murdoch or any business Oligarch pulling the all the broadcasting strings is not going to be a nice place.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Companies have lost revenue since the crisis began, so they are trying to fleece their existing clients to recoup losses.
My guess is, that's not the case with Newscorp run channels. I'd bet they comprise a substantial chunk of the advertising and subscription revenue for providers. It's clear from the reaction that they provide the programming that most people here want, so that would make it a more valuable commodity. You'd probably consider getting rid of Cablevision if they didn't air any Newscorp content, correct?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:41 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
I'm really no fan of Cablevison, or it's owner!, and when the day comes that FIOS finally is given access to MSG HD is the day I get FIOS.

That aside I'm actually on Cablevsion's side in this, Newscorp is growing stronger and stronger, it's eating up broadcasters and broadcasting rights around the world, it wants the monopoly, sure it's a free market, but we all know the final outcome with monopoly providers.

The more millions the Newscorp rake in the more ability they have to take over further broadcasters and bid and win the rights to any national sporting event that you care to name, now ten years down the road many folks won't care who is broadcasting the world series or the superbowl, but do people really want all of this "power" to be in the hands of one man.

Aside from this Newscorp is pumping millions into the forthcoming elections to try and push their political agenda, I don't want a broadcaster with any political agenda, either side of the debate to be able to pump millions of dollars into the system to skew it in one direction and in turn gain huge lobbying power, the final destination of a world with Murdoch or any business Oligarch pulling the all the broadcasting strings is not going to be a nice
ding ding ding... this is the world we live in....total plutarchy.... it's only going to get worse, and worse, and worse. People really have NO CLUE what lies ahead for us. It's not going to be pretty, I can tell you that much.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
They should can Fox, and pass the savings to the customers. I'll go to my friend's place or a bar to watch the Giants/Yanks. The rest of their programming is garbage.
1) They would never pass the savings along to you.

2) You may think the rest of their programming is garbage, but that's not the common take. Fox has two of the most popular shows on TV now (Glee and American Idol). They also have the WS.

It's gonna get interesting soon.

Old
10-19-2010, 10:52 AM
mullichicken25

two companies run by a holes fighting over money

and trying to get pity from the viewers

weak sauce

sort this garbage out...direct TV is looking more appealing by the day!

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
two companies run by a holes fighting over money

and trying to get pity from the viewers

weak sauce

sort this garbage out...direct TV is looking more appealing by the day!
Not when DTV is not an option for you.