HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cablevision Vs. News Corp.

Old
10-19-2010, 11:56 AM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not when DTV is not an option for you.
ouch...my bad

i forgot that there are other poeple besides me, who live in different places! haha

nonetheless...i have no doubt this will get sorted out soon

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:56 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
1) They would never pass the savings along to you.

2) You may think the rest of their programming is garbage, but that's not the common take. Fox has two of the most popular shows on TV now (Glee and American Idol). They also have the WS.

It's gonna get interesting soon.
Oh, trust me, I realize we would never get the savings. I'm a realist.

All we make anymore in this country are shows for trash and complex financial products that destroy the economy.

I'm going to go build a hut in the middle of the forest and become a hermit.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:02 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I'm going to go build a hut in the middle of the forest and become a hermit.
I've been feeling the same way for years.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post

Aside from this Newscorp is pumping millions into the forthcoming elections to try and push their political agenda, I don't want a broadcaster with any political agenda, either side of the debate to be able to pump millions of dollars into the system to skew it in one direction and in turn gain huge lobbying power, the final destination of a world with Murdoch or any business Oligarch pulling the all the broadcasting strings is not going to be a nice place.
As I was saying earlier today:

Well guess what?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43839.html

"News Corp. is hoping to enlist the help of House Republicans to keep the federal government away from its fight with Cablevision"

“Any government intervention would not only skew the process, but would color all future retransmission consent negotiations,” the letter states".

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:09 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
As I was saying earlier today:

Well guess what?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43839.html

"News Corp. is hoping to enlist the help of House Republicans to keep the federal government away from its fight with Cablevision"

“Any government intervention would not only skew the process, but would color all future retransmission consent negotiations,” the letter states".
And why is that such a bad thing? News Corp has a point. Keep the ******* government out of this. It already has it's hand in nearly everything we do. Smaller government, not bigger. I don't want a People's Repubic.

And again, News Corp. offered Cablevision the exact same deal other providers have agreed to. Why should Cablevision be any different? Why should they get special treatment? Riddle me that, Batman.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannyNYR View Post
And why is that such a bad thing? News Corp has a point. Keep the ******* government out of this. It already has it's hand in nearly everything we do. Smaller government, not bigger. I don't want a People's Repubic.

And again, News Corp. offered Cablevision the exact same deal other providers have agreed to. Why should Cablevision be any different? Why should they get special treatment? Riddle me that, Batman.
So if I understand this correctly, DTV, Fios, and Dish have all paid up the 150 million and that is why Fox was not removed from their services?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Because the FCC will try to protect the Consumers who are always on the losing end of these contract disputes between major corporations?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Ovens

Quote:

It's such a bad thing because Newscorp just gave millions to the GOP and their supporters and now they are asking those same people to pressure the FCC not to be involved

'Big government is not always a good thing, however Newscorp shaping the broadcasting landscape is far worse.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 08:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Can you show me an article that says they offered Cablevsion the exact same deal as the other providers? Some from Fox was on with Francesca and wouldn't talk about that. If they are willing to offer the exact same deal to Cablevision that they did to Time Warner or Comcast or DTV or Verizon, I see no reason not to go to binding arbitration.

The interview can be heard here:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/personal...ke-francesa-2/

10-19-2010, 11:45 PM
rickyrod

Fox must be having a heart attack at the idea of a Giants/Rangers World Series. Their World Series leverage pretty much flew away tonight. It isn't as big a deal to go to a bar for 3 hours to watch football once on Sunday as it is for 4-5 hours for 4-7 nights for a World Series, which probably no one will really care about around here without the Yankees.

Plus hasn't Glee been terrible this season? American Idol with much less interesting judges. It's a really hard sell for Fox.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Provolone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Plus hasn't Glee been terrible this season? American Idol with much less interesting judges. It's a really hard sell for Fox.
FOX has Gordon Ramsay and i canNOT get enough Gordon Ramsay

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:01 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

So.....

Anyone else find it interesting the Cablevision has accepted binding arbitration regarding Fox being carried on Cablevision but hasn't accepted arbitration regarding its MSG networks being available on DISH?

Hmmmmm....

Old
10-20-2010, 10:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Fox must be having a heart attack at the idea of a Giants/Rangers World Series. Their World Series leverage pretty much flew away tonight. It isn't as big a deal to go to a bar for 3 hours to watch football once on Sunday as it is for 4-5 hours for 4-7 nights for a World Series, which probably no one will really care about around here without the Yankees.

They might be bad (I don't watch either) but they do huge numbers. The new Idol judges should at least garner some interest.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
So.....

Anyone else find it interesting the Cablevision has accepted binding arbitration regarding Fox being carried on Cablevision but hasn't accepted arbitration regarding its MSG networks being available on DISH?

Hmmmmm....
Would you want to improve a competitor's product? I didn't think so.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
So.....

Hmmmmm....
MSG is just a mom and pop company that is innocent of all wrongdoing.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:35 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Would you want to improve a competitor's product? I didn't think so.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Pot. Kettle. Black.
I hate all companies, pretty much..... they all suck in similar and different ways...but the common denominator is definitely GREED.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Pot. Kettle. Black.
Not at all comparable.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:58 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Not at all comparable.
Yes it is now that MSG has been spun off as it's own company. They are an independent company withholding services from another.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:03 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yes it is now that MSG has been spun off as it's own company. They are an independent company withholding services from another.

MSG goes back to Cablevision, so in theory withholding MSG from DISH benefits Cablevision because it adversely effects a competitor

How is withholding Fox helping Fox?

Old
10-20-2010, 11:05 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Not at all comparable.
Please explain that logic.

Fox won't submit to binding arbitration.
MSG won't submit to binding arbitration.

This is all moot anyway - MSG announced they will also accept binding arbitration if DISH does.

Old
10-20-2010, 11:09 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Please explain that logic.

Fox won't submit to binding arbitration.
MSG won't submit to binding arbitration.

This is all moot anyway - MSG announced they will also accept binding arbitration if DISH does.
Ready my post above.

Look, I'm sure they're both to blame. And whatever the result my bill is going to go up. I just resonate more to "We paid 70M now they want 150M" and "We will agree to binding arbitration, News Corp won't" to "We don't talk numbers" and "Cablevision doesn't have Fox. So change your provider."

Old
10-20-2010, 11:14 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Fox actually says that they're asking Cablevision to pay what everyone else is paying - Direct TV, FiOS, Dish, etc... and they say it amounts to .30/month.

The point wasn't really the underlying motives behind accepting arbitration, more that both networks (MSG & FOX) weren't willing to have an arbitrator tell them what their product was worth. That's all changed as MSG has agreed to arbitration.

Last edited by haohmaru: 10-20-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old
10-20-2010, 02:16 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Fox actually says that they're asking Cablevision to pay what everyone else is paying - Direct TV, FiOS, Dish, etc... and they say it amounts to .30/month.

The point wasn't really the underlying motives behind accepting arbitration, more that both networks (MSG & FOX) weren't willing to have an arbitrator tell them what their product was worth. That's all changed as MSG has agreed to arbitration.
This is easily exposed as a lie as it is public knowledge that cablevision has 3,000,000 subscribers..
If 3 million subscribers payed .30 cents a month that would be 900,000 a month or 10.8 Million a yr.

I cannot say whether cablevisions claim that fox wants 150 million a year is true, but I do know for a fact that the current agreement that just expired was in the 70 million dollar range for the fox tv package. That amounts to about 2.00 per subscriber per month (this is for all the fox channels, not just channel 5, but you are forced to buy them all, not just one)

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:29 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Jonathan, this is completely different, Fox is granted a federal license to broadcast on free airwaves along with channels 2,4,7 and some others. This puts them in every home in america regardless of service provider (verizon/dish/cablevision).

If Fox keeps this up with other providers like it has with cablevision and dish network I am sure there will be a legal challenge to have their broadcast license revoked.

And you refuse to acknowledge the FACT that msg is not blacked out on verizon or direct tv, they are provided the SD broadcast, you are not being blacked out or withheld any content, you are being denied a higher quality.

If people cant understand the difference between content and quality this arguement is hopeless.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote