HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slowest defense in NHL?

Old
10-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
Slowest defense in NHL?

I think, collectively, we might have the slowest defense in NHL.

From 0 to 100 here is how I would rate the speed of our defense:

Girardi - 56
Rozsival - 63
Staal - 65
Del Zotto - 70
Sauer - 70
Eminger - 75
Gilroy - 85 (fastest, but the worst of them all)

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post

Girardi - 56
Rozsival - 63
Staal - 65
Del Zotto - 70
Sauer - 70
Eminger - 75
Gilroy - 85
Uhhh, I don't know about that. Gilroy is by far our fastest? Hes kinda fast, but not an 85 if Girardi is a 56. Hes only a little faster then him.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Girardi's above average in my opinion.

Staal is quite quick when he turns on the jets.

The slowest on this team has to either be Rozsival or Sauer.

Gilroy's definitely the fastest.

Eminger skates well, but it's his stupidity that makes him look bad.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:04 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:

Girardi - 56
Rozsival - 63
Staal - 65
Del Zotto - 70
Sauer - 70
Eminger - 75
Gilroy - 85 (fastest, but the worst of them all)
LOL, what team are you watching? Staal actually has great speed, he just has long legs so its deceptive. Del Zotto has good speed aswell. Rozy, Girardi have good speed, but nothing to write home about. Sauer is kind of slow, I'll give you that.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Rangers44*

I might have rated Staal's speed a bit lower, but not by much.

Del Zotto for his size is not fast.

Girardi and Rozsival have good speed? They look like they are skating through quicksand.

Old
10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Speeds a little overrated.

Staal has a great stride. Long reach, and hustles his ass off. He has all the speed he needs.

Girardi can keep up, which is good enough.

MDZ will improve his skating. Gilroy's quick.

Not everyone can be Leetch.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

slow...no
inept at times...definitely.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

Girardi and Rozsival have good speed? They look like they are skating through quicksand.
That's just Rozy. Girardi really isn't that bad.

Rozy on the other hand...... He looks like he doesn't pick up his feet at all.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
LOL, what team are you watching? Staal actually has great speed, he just has long legs so its deceptive. Del Zotto has good speed aswell. Rozy, Girardi have good speed, but nothing to write home about. Sauer is kind of slow, I'll give you that.
rozy cannot skate. if you watch him, he wobbles side to side and goes no where.

in fact, hes gotten so bad that many times he just glides through the neutral zone and stick handles while gliding. he isnt even moving his feet.

last night he was beaten on icing plays by forwards more than once.

hes both slow and lazy. hes plodding. like an elephant.

only worse.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

How often do you see Staal beaten in a straight line? Kid's so smart he rarely puts himself in a position where he has to rely on his skating. When there's a race to the puck he usually wins.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:15 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
How often do you see Staal beaten in a straight line? Kid's so smart he rarely puts himself in a position where he has to rely on his skating. When there's a race to the puck he usually wins.
And when(rarely) he leads a rush into the zone it's not uncommon for him to beat the other teams D to the outside. I think he has great speed.

Old
10-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

As far as defensemen are concerned, skating is really not the issue. Its the poor defensive posturing that we have seen so far.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
mullichicken25

from 1 to 100?

thats a pretty percise scale...how are you differentiating between say a 57 and 58?

are you using a high speed digital camera and counting frames?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:

Nothing else to say about Staal and MDZ besides I simply just don't agree.

As far as Girardi, when do you ever see him get beat by raw speed?

Old
10-19-2010, 12:20 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I thought of this title as slowest in being the dumbest D core out there. When I look around the league, there are only a couple teams that I can think of that have WORSE defensemen then the Rangers:

Anaheim is brutal defensively and Carolina isn't anything special outside of Pitkanen. When I go around the rest of the teams, they ALL have A) a better core of dmen or B) a group of young dmen outplaying our group. That is why we are lacking on defense, the talent isn't there compared to the rest of the league. The fact Lundqvist bails this team out every year, management decided to not go out and get solid NHL defense. Instead it wastes 6.5 million on Wade Redden and 5 million on Roszival, when they could have signed 4-5 OTHER dmen with that money instead. Now we have to rely on the likes of a girardi to be a #2, which he is not, and young players to step up into bigger roles then they really should be. That and the steve eminger's of the world.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
pwoz

I'd prefer a 1-10 scale of speed:

Blozsival - 4
Staal - 5
Girardi - 5
DZ - 6
Gilroy - 7
Eminger - 5

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

0 to 100 is pretty precise, i think letters would be a good way to not have to put an exact number on it and have a little cushion. ill give it a go.
ovi, cindy, gabby are A+'s

Girardi: B
Rozsival: C-
Staal: B-
Del Zotto: B-
Sauer: C
Eminger: C
Gilroy: B+

maybe im a little generous because i dont think its the lack of speed, its the misuse or none use at all, gilroy uses his speed to make up for his dog **** play on defense.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:57 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I'd prefer a 1-10 scale of speed:

Blozsival - 4
Staal - 5
Girardi - 5
DZ - 6
Gilroy - 7
Eminger - 5
If you call 5 the average straight line speed of an NHL defenseman, this would be how I would rate it:

Rozy: 4
Staal: 6.5
Girardi: 5
DZ: 6
Gilroy: 7
Eminger: 5
Sauer: 4

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Staal can be pretty fast when he wants to be. Del Zotto isn't considered "slow" in my opinion he's working on his skating.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I don't know about on the whole, but Del Zotto, to me, looks considerably slower than he did last year. I really think he took a hit in the agility/speed department this summer.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't know about on the whole, but Del Zotto, to me, looks considerably slower than he did last year. I really think he took a hit in the agility/speed department this summer.
He was slow last season, he actually looks slightly faster this season.

Old
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Nothing else to say about Staal and MDZ besides I simply just don't agree.

As far as Girardi, when do you ever see him get beat by raw speed?
on average about 2 times each game Girardi is flat out beaten by raw speed. He is got to a point where he is too slot to hit, he just pushes or shoves people into the boards.

Old
10-19-2010, 01:07 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
If you call 5 the average straight line speed of an NHL defenseman, this would be how I would rate it:

Staal: 6.5
Girardi: 5
Gilroy: 7
Eminger: 5
best assesment i've seen in the thread

its tough to rate "game" speed though...i dont feel that their game speeds are directly related to their stright line speeds

if i had to take a stab at what im calling "game speed" with 5 being avg for NHL dman id go:
Staal: 5
Girardi: 4.5
Gilroy: 6
Eminger: 4.5

the mian point being that some of our guys can turn on the jets pretty good when the have to but dont always play at that speed

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
rozy cannot skate. if you watch him, he wobbles side to side and goes no where.

in fact, hes gotten so bad that many times he just glides through the neutral zone and stick handles while gliding. he isnt even moving his feet.

last night he was beaten on icing plays by forwards more than once.

hes both slow and lazy. hes plodding. like an elephant.

only worse.
Yup, I often have to squint and check if he's actually wearing skates because it looks like he's sliding around with shoes on like a medical trainer wobbling across the ice. It's bad. I think it may be partly because he's not 100% right now. But this isn't really a new problem. He's the polar-opposite of Gaborik in the sense that his first few steps are absolutely slow-motion. He moves his legs fast, but he goes NOWHERE. He has absolutely terrible initial acceleration. Once he's already moving up the ice, he's fine, just about average speed that way, but from a stand-still or changing directions, he's honestly one of the worst in the NHL. I still think he's a good defenseman. His positional coverage is actually above average in my estimation, but everything else (other than his shot which he isn't adept enough at using on anything resembling a consistent basis) is either average or below.

Girardi is fine, speed-wise. He is what he is. Ideally, he's a 2nd pair d-man. You could label him a defensive d-man, but he is actually good at joining the rush, and he's probably our BEST d-man at simply getting pucks through to the net from the point at even strength and on the PP.

Yea, Gilroy is probably our fastest, but like I've said before, he's more of an ice-skater than a hockey player. He really is. I don't think he'll have much a career in this league, let alone a future with this team. I hope he proves me wrong, but I just haven't seen enough from a 26 year old who is supposed to be a creative, offensive player. We've seen flashes of it, but they're so few and far between that I'm just not convinced that he'll ever be able to put it all together. He'll need to watch A LOT more tape of Rafalski and Boyle if he's going to ever be more than a #6-7 or career AHLer.

Staal is fast, but he's having a very rough start. I don't think his head is in the right place right now. I also don't like the fact that he kept his mouth shut on the ice when the refs made that questionable interference call, but then he chose to complain about "not knowing what's legal and what isn't" in the post-game interview. Babyish. It's time for Staal to take the next step in his development, and growing up both mentally and physically (in terms of playing with SOME semblance of an edge or mean-streak) is going to be a big part of that. I don't expect him to be Beukeboom, but for a guy with his size and strength, he needs to start playing like it. He was actually better 2 years ago when he had those battles with Ovechkin throughout the year and in the playoffs. Last year, I think the desire to try to improve his offense really messed up the way he was thinking the game. This year, he looks flat-out confused. This needs to be remedied quickly. Less is more. Less thinking, more reading and reacting, and more decisiveness. The potential is there for Staal to eventually be a Norris candidate, but he's certainly not there yet. I hope he takes the next step this year, because from the way he played as a rookie, a lot of us thought he'd be a better player than he is right now. His development has taken a bit of a stall (no pun intended), but I'm still optimistic that he'll put it all together (unlike Gilroy) and be that franchise d-man he's expected to be.

Sauer needs to be playing. Gilroy has not earned his spot. Sauer has. Period.

Valentenko is very close. I like pretty much everything about his game. I'm sure there will be growing pains when he plays his first 82 games in the NHL, but I happily welcome that instead of watching REGRESSIVE pains (as one poster aptly put it) with this current group.

I actually like Eminger. He's a solid 6-7. I'd prefer him to be the 7 but I really don't have any problem with him playing as the #6. I just wish Sauer was the #5 instead of Gilroy right now, and would like Sauer and Valentenko to both be in the lineup (maybe not paired together though) and have Eminger has the spare. He's a well-rounded player. He can be physical, and when he's engaged and playing with a little confidence, he's a valuable asset. We haven't seen much of this yet, but we also haven't seen much of him period. We could do a lot worse. Trust me. I hope it works out for him.

DZ is not playing well right now. That's obvious. He'll snap out of this funk sooner or later. I don't care if it takes him 40 games to snap out of it. He's that valuable to this team. He's arguably the best passer on the team and reads the breakout better than all of our defense by a wide margin. Big fan of his (as you can see by my username), and I am confident that a few years down the road, his defense is going to be a lot closer to his offensive prowess. We've seen signs of some really good hip-checks and physical play around the crease. He's learning that aspect on the job, while being counted on to QB our dismal powerplay. Patience with this one will pay off. Note: I do like how he's been using one-hand on this stick to turn around the net with a lot of speed, while shielding the forechecking player with his free arm. It's actually a smart move that I haven't really seen many players do. He just needs to make sure his head is up so that he doesn't cough up the puck around our net due to only having one hand on the stick. But it can be very effective in catching that forechecking forward or two just going through the motions while DZ begins the breakout with a lot more speed than normal. I think that's another one of our big weaknesses. We like to slow everything down, circle back, and then try to break out. We need more getting to the puck and just GOING instead of slowing it down and then slooooowly and methodically moving up the ice. It may be intuitive to want to break up the ice as unit of 5, but it doesn't work when the other team has the neutral zone and their blue-line completely covered. It also creates confusion for the forwards and doesn't allow them to have speed going into the zone to retrieve dump-ins.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yeah, the added bulk took a step off his pace.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote