HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The 2010 AAA Draft (rosters, picks, discussion, etc.)

Old
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Regina goes completely off the board to select a good defensive forward and probably the best penalty killing forward of the draft.

I doubt anyone was after this guy, except maybe MadArcand.

As a point of comparison - Todd Marchant was touted as a good penalty killer a few days back - and he is. But Marchant killed 46% of penalties for teams that had 1% more PP goals scored on them per opportunity than average.

This guy killed 51% of penalties for teams whose penalty kills were excellent - they allowed 12% fewer PP goals per opportunity than average.

He also has good selke recognition, finishing 9th, 11th, and 13th.

Dave Tippett, LW

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
EDIT: Is there really that much seperating Bill Barilko and Garth Boesch to warrant a difference of over 600 picks?
Yes. There are players who swear that if Barilko didn't meet an untimely end, he'd have been an all-star and a hall of famer.

Old
10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Yes. There are players who swear that if Barilko didn't meet an untimely end, he'd have been an all-star and a hall of famer.
Yes an untimely death, but in the end it's all speculation, they both only played 4 seasons, one more cup and one more All star game selection for Barilko.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:59 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
This will probably gain me a lot of grief from the Leafs fans here, but... Dmitri Khristich, LW/C
Not from me!

I forgave Khristich ages ago. And the more I researched for this draft, the more I became sure I wanted to find a place for him on my team. The fact that he had played full seasons at all three forward positions sealed the deal for me. At the very least, he would have been a spare, if not a 4th liner.

He was one of the finest even strength scorers remaining. With 0.57 adj. ESPPG, there were not many ahead of him. He was an occasional penalty killer too, though he should probably not be a primary option for your team.

His adjusted +/- of +158 is through the roof. I checked and most of it comes from 1992, 1993, 1998 and 1999. He was a complementary player to some good players there; however:

- It's really a stretch to say "he had a good adjusted +/- because he played with Peter Bondra and Jaso Allison,
- He was still an adjusted +42 in the other 8 combined seasons of his career.

His stats can partially be explained by playing with good players; however, he was a strong scorer in his own right, and look no further than the 1997 LA Kings to see that he was able to do a decent job of doing it himself when he was put in that position.

Old
10-19-2010, 10:01 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Yes an untimely death, but in the end it's all speculation, they both only played 4 seasons, one more cup and one more All star game selection for Barilko.
- it wasn't a "selection". They got there by being on the cup-winning team, so it doesn't really add to their resumes any more than winning the cup already did.

- All I'm saying is nobody said that about Boesch, so Barilko was almost certainly better by a long shot when they were both playing.

Old
10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Mark Osborne, LW

10-19-2010, 11:03 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Osborne? I'm interested in the idea behind that - his offense is mediocre, he has a horrible adjusted +/-, wasn't a PK regular most of his career...

Quote:
Regina goes completely off the board to select a good defensive forward and probably the best penalty killing forward of the draft.

I doubt anyone was after this guy, except maybe MadArcand.

As a point of comparison - Todd Marchant was touted as a good penalty killer a few days back - and he is. But Marchant killed 46% of penalties for teams that had 1% more PP goals scored on them per opportunity than average.

This guy killed 51% of penalties for teams whose penalty kills were excellent - they allowed 12% fewer PP goals per opportunity than average.

He also has good selke recognition, finishing 9th, 11th, and 13th.

Dave Tippett, LW
Where do you get the % data from? I think one or two players left might be better PKers than Tippett, but without the data I'd just be guessing.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:12 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Where do you get the % data from? I think one or two players left might be better PKers than Tippett, but without the data I'd just be guessing.
should be right on the adjusted +/- sheet... "TmPP+" and "TmPK+"

they are listed as decimals. 1.00 is exactly average. above is more goals. Below is fewer goals. So for the PP column, you want high numbers. For the PK column , you want low numbers.

Old
10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Wish that bloody sheet worked for me at home. (it works fine at work but at home it's each row in a single cell with the values separated by a comma...)

Anyway it seems that both of those guys don't do that well in either % of PKs or their success rate.

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Wish that bloody sheet worked for me at home. (it works fine at work but at home it's each row in a single cell with the values separated by a comma...)

Anyway it seems that both of those guys don't do that well in either % of PKs or their success rate.
also, can't remember for sure, but there may be a couple guys who appear better in abbreviated careers so far. I thought Tippett was best because of the level he did it at, and the fact that it was 700+ games. there's no guarantee some other guys will keep it up as they switch teams or decline, etc.

Old
10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Toledo selects D Tom Bladon

1974 Stanley Cup Champion
1975 Stanley Cup Champion
9th in Defence Scoring 1977
Played in 1977 All-Star Game
Played in 1978 All-Star Game

Philadelphia Flyers Legends:
Quote:
Tom Bladon was a hard shooting, offensive minded defenseman best known for his days with the Philadelphia Flyers. Nicknamed "Bomber" because of how hard he could shoot the puck, Bladon broke Bobby Orr's record for most points in one game by a defenseman.

Bladon had 4 goals and 4 assists for 8 points in an 11-1 romp by the Flyers over the Colorado Rockies on December 11, 1977. Although he was probably the top offensive defenseman of the Philadelphia Flyers during their two Stanley Cup victories in the mid-1970s, he's an often forgotten about member of that team as well.

Bladon broke into the league as a rookie in 1972-73, one year after his Edmonton Oil Kings fell just short of capturing the Memorial Cup. Bladon stepped into the Philadelphia and was a bit of an oddity on the Broad Street Bullies. He was anything but a real physical player, instead he relied on skill.

Bladon scored 11 goals and 42 points in an impressive rookie campaign. He slipped somewhat during the Cup years - scoring 12 goals and 34 points in 1973-74 and 9 goals and 29 points in 1974-75, although his plus/minus went through the roof with career highs 42 and 45 respectively.

Bladon's numbers improved as the team tried to get a little younger following the two championships. Bladon got more ice time and responded with 14 goals and 37 pints in 1975-76, and then with 10 goals and a career high 43 assists for a career high 53 points in 1976-77 - the year he broke Bobby Orr's record.
Hockey Legends:
Quote:
His medications, one for allergies and the other for sleeping, were incorrectly mixed during the 1974-75 campaign. He was skating around like a slug for some time. The fans would boo him at every turn until the problem was discovered and corrected.
Toledo's medical staff will ensure this doesn't happen.

Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies Then and Now
Quote:
Tom Bladon spent six years in a Flyer's uniform. In addition to the two Stanley Cup rings, he played in two NHL all-star games (1977, 1978) and he left the team as its all-time leading point getter among defensemen. He reached double figures in goals in five of his six seasons in the orange and black.

Tom Bladon was the youngest Flyer on the first Stanley Cup team.

Last edited by Hedberg: 10-19-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:20 PM
seventieslord

Hedberg, I hear that you're "definitely in" for the AA draft.

I hope that you're more "in" it than you are in this one - if I'm not mistaken, you've just come in, made your picks and left!

Old
10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Hedberg, I hear that you're "definitely in" for the AA draft.

I hope that you're more "in" it than you are in this one - if I'm not mistaken, you've just come in, made your picks and left!
School is busy this semester, but I do edit the picks later with semi-bios.

As for today's picks, I'm annoyed someone actually took Eldebrink. I thought I could get him as a great 7th defenceman.

Last edited by Hedberg: 10-19-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old
10-19-2010, 12:57 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post

As for today's picks, I'm annoyed someone actually took Eldebrink. I thought I could get him as a great 7th defenceman.
Definitely a bit of a sleeper pick but the more Tony and I read about the guy the more we thought he was deserving of a spot in the top 4 on our defense.

twice voted the SEL's equivalent of the Pearson in 88 and 89 and the SEL's equivalent of the Hart in 85.

has 2 World Championships silver medals, a Canada Cup silver and an Olympic bronze.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Definitely a bit of a sleeper pick but the more Tony and I read about the guy the more we thought he was deserving of a spot in the top 4 on our defense.

twice voted the SEL's equivalent of the Pearson in 88 and 89 and the SEL's equivalent of the Hart in 85.

has 2 World Championships silver medals, a Canada Cup silver and an Olympic bronze.
I can see him being a regular for sure, I just thought he'd slip.

Old
10-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

1939 or earlier: Bert Lindsay
1940-1965: Bud Poile
1966-1979: Thomas Gradin
1980-1993: Scott Young
1994-2010: Pavel Kubina

Old
10-19-2010, 01:57 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

London selects Michal Handzus, C

Handzus is a huge player - not a big hitter, but he can handle himself when things get rough. His long reach makes him very effective defensively, both at even strength and at killing penalties.

-6'4", 217 lbs

Respectable numbers:
407 points in 766 games.
30 points in 66 playoff games.

Selke Record
: 2nd (2000), 11th (2003), 8th (2004)
3 Times Top 10 in SHGs: 2000, 2001, 2008

-Represented Slovakia at the World Championship (2000, 2002, 2005, 2009), the Winter Olympics (2002, 2010) and the World Cup of Hockey (2004).
-7 points in 9 Olympic games
-17 points in 25 World Championship games

Quote:
Not a flashy forward, but extremely versatile. Handzus has shown he is capable of winning face-offs, scoring from the top of the circles, and creating traffic in front of the net. #26 is a veteran who can center a wide variety of wingers. Handzus’ smart play has worked well with the various line combinations Terry Murray has drawn up. Bottom Line: An essential part of the Kings offense, Handzus rarely makes costly mistakes. Whether it’s his puck control down low, his body in front of the net, or his shot selection from the top of the circles, his intelligence on the ice meshes well with his line-mates.
http://kingscast.net/tag/michal-handzus/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks Acquire Handzus (2006)
“In Michal Handzus, we were able to acquire a big, strong center who is an excellent two-way player,” said Tallon. “We felt we needed a big centerman to play against other big centers in the Western Conference. We also feel that Michal is a guy who will be able to get the puck to Martin Havlat. We feel that a line of Martin Havlat, Michal Handzus, and Tuomo Ruttu is a pretty good line. In the off-season we identified the center position as one we needed to strengthen and we feel we have addressed that need.”

Handzus, 29, stands at 6.05 and weighs in at 217 pounds. Last season, he played in 73 games for Philadelphia scoring 11 goals while adding 33 assists for 44 points with 38 minutes in penalties. Handzus logged 18:28 minutes per game for the Flyers and took many face-offs in key situations. In fact, he was the leading face-off man for the Flyers winning 53.2% of his draws to rank 18th in the NHL.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/57789

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 10-22-2010 at 03:39 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 02:56 PM
markrander87

Winipeg selects LW Rick Dudley

9th in Hart voting 1975

Career 6 Seasons NHL 309 GP 75 99 174 Points 292 PIMS
Career 4 Seasons WHA 270 GP 131 146 277 Points 516 PIMS

However in his second NHL season Rick emerged as a fan favorite and real key to the Sabres success. With his vigorous skating and energetic checking, it was easy to like the hard working Rick. He added a level of abrasiveness which gave the Sabres a bit of an edge which perhaps they lacked previously on their forward units. He played with great passion, and it rubbed off infectively on his teammates

also emerged as a scoring sensation that season, picking up 31 tallies, 27 of which were at even strength

would be a top player for the Stingers for 3 and 1/2 seasons, twice scoring 40-plus goals and 80-plus points while delivering his aggressive style of take no prisoners play. The Sabres meantime remained as a top NHL team in the regular season, but never could find the magic once again in the playoffs. Perhaps Dudley's energy and enthusiasm could have helped in that regard.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 03:16 PM
seventieslord

Punch Imlach had good things to say about Dudley. he said that after he left to the WHA, the team was always missing something.

Old
10-19-2010, 03:31 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
LW Greg Gilbert

Selke finishes (8, 22)
3x Top 10 +/- (6, 7, 10)
Career +109
378 points in 837 career games
3x Stanley Cup champion
50 points in 133 playoff games

Quote:
Left-winger Greg Gilbert played over 800 NHL games with four different clubs in the 80s and 90s. He possessed above average offensive talent but carved a niche for himself as a big leaguer based on stellar defensive work and leadership skills.

Born in Mississauga, Ontario, Gilbert scored nearly 200 points in three seasons with the Toronto Marlboros of the OHA/OHL. He was chosen 80th overall by the New York Islanders in 1980 then returned to junior to continue his development. He began the 1982-83 season with the CHL's Indianapolis Checkers then was recalled to the parent club a third of the way through the schedule.

Gilbert looked solid while playing ten playoff games to help the Islanders win their fourth straight Stanley Cup. The next season he scored 31 goals while playing...and aided the club's drive to the final where they lost to the Edmonton Oilers. Gilbert eventually settled into a checking role on the club as it began to rebuild in the mid-80s.

Prior to the trade deadline in March, 1989 Gilbert was sent to the Chicago Black Hawks. He fit in well under the close-checking systems of Mike Keenan and Darryl Sutter. In 1992 he was an important role player on the Hawks when they drove all the way to the Stanley Cup final. The veteran winger was signed as a free agent by the New York Rangers prior to the 1993-94 season then contributed to the franchise's first Stanley Cup triumph. Gilbert played parts of two seasons with the St. Louis Blues before ending his career in 1995-96.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=10532

Quote:
THE INTANGIBLES Gilbert is a determined, dedicated hockey player. He battled back from a knee injury that could have ended his career. He does not take no for an answer.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Qxz...ed=0CFQQ6AEwCQ

Quote:
Gilbert won two Stanley Cups with the Isles after joining the team in 1982, and posted his career zenith of 31 goals and 35 assists, with a plus-51 rating, in 1983-84. As the years passed, the redheaded Ontario native became a solid defensive forward for Mike Keenan's Chicago Blackhawks and New York Rangers teams.
http://books.google.com/books?id=wpb...hockey&f=false

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 04:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Dammit. Just spent 20 minutes researching Nick Libett, thinking of him as the perfect 3rd liner in this. And then do one final search here and see that VI took him already. Hate it when that happens.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 05:33 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Dammit. Just spent 20 minutes researching Nick Libett, thinking of him as the perfect 3rd liner in this. And then do one final search here and see that VI took him already. Hate it when that happens.

Old
10-19-2010, 05:40 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe
Don't we all. The same thing happened with me before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
And you pick like one of those chess masters who glances at the board and makes the right move. I spend hours and hours planning strategy and tactics and then you go and ruin it in a few swift moves: Mickoski, Poile, Young, Crisp. No other team in this draft has robbed my shortlist (not longlist, the shortlist of guys in consideration for the present and next round) more than Toledo.

The 2010 Double-A Draft will have teams assembled by seventieslord, Hedberg, VanIslander plus who else? A thread will be created about this later. This is just a shout out about it. We only need four teams to make a go of it.

Last edited by VanIslander: 10-19-2010 at 05:46 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
And you pick like one of those chess masters who glances at the board and makes the right move. I spend hours and hours planning strategy and tactics and then you go and ruin it in a few swift moves: Mickoski, Poile, Young, Crisp. No other team in this draft has robbed my shortlist (not longlist, the shortlist of guys in consideration for the present and next round) more than Toledo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
We only need four teams to make a go of it.
But more would be really nice. If you have any radical ideas about under appreciated players, the AA is a good place to test them.

Old
10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Osborne? I'm interested in the idea behind that - his offense is mediocre, he has a horrible adjusted +/-, wasn't a PK regular most of his career...
Seventieslord took all the good corner guys before I realized how valuable a commodity they'd be in this draft... And Ruzicka needs one to be effective.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote