HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

Old
10-16-2010, 09:29 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

vCash: 500
yep.. if he's top20 i'm happy, top10 is unbelievable considering that no one didnt know who he was about two months ago top3 pick only if he keeps up this pace (2 goals per game ), which he will not.

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
If Armia keeps this pace up, he will be challenging Sean Couturier and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for a top-3 spot. Incredibly talented athlete, it's just staggering how fast his game is improving.
Kid is on hot streak right now, so let's see what happens in the cold and dark weeks of November. But what you said "if he keeps this pace up", there's no doubt he will challenge those guys for that top-3. But even, if he doesn't keep the streak going, there's almost certainty that he won't fall past the top-10, just based of those few youtube clips alone. However, the season is very long and we'll have to wait some more. Hopefully Ässät can lend him to the world juniors. Should be a super exciting tournament for us, if we get all of our top guns.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post
No i dont think so. Lets be serious..
Armia is not that far off from what for example James van Riemsdyk was in his draft year. Therefore if he stays healthy and keeps developing the way he has, he could be a top-3 pick. I might be fairly alone with my opinion, but it doesn’t bother me, I’m comfortable with it. Armia's game is improving from game to game, that's a sign of a talented athlete, a rarity in Finnish hockey. Armia is still a skinny kid, once he gets more strength to go with that attitude, he could rise to a whole new level. His lower body alone has a lot of room for improvement.

I followed Joni Pitkänen’s development very closely during his draft year, and I must say that in terms of talent level, Armia might be on a same level. Let’s hope that Armia doesn’t suffer from knee injuries and has a better head than Pitkänen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Let's not...
Yeah, let's not. In a dream world Kiira doesn't look like his dad Rauno and Pulu is actually a power forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
Kid is on hot streak right now, so let's see what happens in the cold and dark weeks of November. But what you said "if he keeps this pace up", there's no doubt he will challenge those guys for that top-3. But even, if he doesn't keep the streak going, there's almost certainty that he won't fall past the top-10, just based of those few youtube clips alone. However, the season is very long and we'll have to wait some more. Hopefully Ässät can lend him to the world juniors. Should be a super exciting tournament for us, if we get all of our top guns.
I’m not expecting Armia to keep scoring at present pace, there will surely be weaker periods as well. Opponents will also start paying much more attention to him now that he has become a household name in SM-liiga. His moves and wrist shot won’t be a surprise to anyone anymore. The phrase “if he keeps this pace up" refers more to the pace of his development, not so much to his stats.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:26 AM
Korkki

This kid really seems to be something special. I was in bar yesterday and even some my friends who do not follow hockey knew about this wonderkid.

And in reality, if he keeps his feet ground when he turns 18 he will be a star in Finnish level. Forget about the midgets like Granlund etc. Armia is huge and he still can do the same things with puck. This boy has quite bright future ahead if everything goes well.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 06:02 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post
so you really think he's top3 pick? lol
If he keeps this pace, why not?

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:30 AM
swift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86b8m...eature=related

2+0 yesterday, and winning goal in OT. He seems to be able to do anything on the ice right now, the confidence is rising

swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Unbelievable for somebody who's just 17.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

Yeah, let's not. In a dream world Kiira doesn't look like his dad Rauno and Pulu is actually a power forward.
Quite off-topic, but in recent pictures she doesn't remind me of her dad so much anymore. Of course the picture set she did with her sister for a sports clothing company might also distract me from that fact (3some, with the Korpi sisters... ).

Ok, I'll get me coat.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Kid is on hot streak right now, so let's see what happens in the cold and dark weeks of November. But what you said "if he keeps this pace up", there's no doubt he will challenge those guys for that top-3.
U-20 WJC will be the biggest event, if Armia outperforms those two (if they even are there) and Larsson, there'll be more talk about a higher draft position, and not just at internet message boards.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor
The phrase “if he keeps this pace up" refers more to the pace of his development, not so much to his stats.
Yeah, I know. That's what I meant as well. Obviously he ain't going to be able to score 2 goals a game in the next +45 games. I can't almost guarantee that he'll suffer from some slumps during the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
U-20 WJC will be the biggest event, if Armia outperforms those two (if they even are there) and Larsson, there'll be more talk about a higher draft position, and not just at internet message boards.
I doubt RNH gets the call. Couturier probably will. Canadians pick the best available team and never award prospects for their potential.

Old
10-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
The first line had a bit of a off night against Pelicans, which Ässät still won 3-1. Armia recorded three shots and made a few very good passes in his 13:41 icetime. Had to carry the line quite a bit, what was eventually too much for him.

Last edited by Juzmo: 10-19-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:55 PM
bsmith14

thanks for all the updates guys! i think armia looks like a very intriguing prospect. would you consider him a power forward? any player comparisons? he has great hands around the net kinda reminds me of franzen

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
thanks for all the updates guys! i think armia looks like a very intriguing prospect. would you consider him a power forward? any player comparisons? he has great hands around the net kinda reminds me of franzen
Well with some more pounds and maybe with a more physical game he could be close to the description what atleast wikipedia tells is a "power forward"... just with more dangles and less hits. Franzen sounds like a pretty good comparison with the little knowledge I know of Johan, but if you (or anyone else) can tell me any player who is +6'2 with nice hands, has a good shot and passes well and isn't afraid to go for the net. I'm personally too lazy to go every team over.

Old
10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
wings5

Mats Sundin?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Mats Sundin?
Not a bad comparison actually. Tall, righty, good stick handler, good shot, scores deciding goals.

Old
10-21-2010, 05:32 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
any player comparisons?
Mario Lemieux.

Old
10-22-2010, 04:25 AM
Juzmo
rip

The first three lines including Armia and most of the defence has looked pretty tired/lazy/bad for the two previous games (yet managing to get 4 points) and I think it's not wise to keep letting him play +15 minutes a game so he wouldn't get too tired when the tournaments come. Had a couple of chances in the game, but nothing special. Hopefully Armia will light it up at home on Saturday with also the top lines playing with energy like in the last 10 minutes in the regulation in the previous game.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Juzmo
rip

14 shots (not all on goal) and a strange penalty in just over 17 minutes of icetime. In the shootout, which Ässät won, he scored a nice goal on two tries. A good game for him without points.

Old
10-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

3 games scoreless in a row? Bust, anyone?

Old
10-23-2010, 06:51 PM
ChadS

Quote:
3 games scoreless in a row? Bust, anyone?
I think the hype is/was a bit too much. However, he's playing very well despite not always scoring points.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I think the hype is/was a bit too much. However, he's playing very well despite not always scoring points.
Yeah it was, but now ofcourse the hype has calmed down since he isn't keeping the "2 goals per game" pace, but for a kid that was maybe expected to play a dozen or so games in the third or second line and maybe score a couple of goals in the process, this has been a positive suprise how good overall his game has been in the first quarter of the season in addition of the goals and assists.

Last edited by Juzmo: 10-24-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old
10-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Quethas

Send a message via MSN to Quethas
No points in the last few games but still looking really solid. Skill is still there, his skating looks fine and he shoots a lot. In the last few games he has been really close couple of times but no goal (well except that one goal from shootout). But it looks like he probably gets one in the next few games.

There was nice article about Armia in finnish magazine called Veikkaaja. It is always nice to see comments about player which says that he wants to be in ice, he loves to be outside playing hockey or that he isn't interested in beer, he is interested in hockey. He trains shooting everyday and plays rollerhockey in basement.

He seems to get better everyday! He should be really good in WJC!

Quethas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Muuri

Its my fault he doesnt have any points from last few games. I bought him in Liigapörssi

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Its my fault he doesnt have any points from last few games. I bought him in Liigapörssi
Damn you! Well I also bought him and kept him these four games and my team is effed now since I'm not going to bother to buy more trades. :sad

Oh yeah and like it has been said he has been playing just fine even without the points so no need to get too worried about him.

Old
10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quethas View Post
No points in the last few games but still looking really solid. Skill is still there, his skating looks fine and he shoots a lot. In the last few games he has been really close couple of times but no goal (well except that one goal from shootout). But it looks like he probably gets one in the next few games.

There was nice article about Armia in finnish magazine called Veikkaaja. It is always nice to see comments about player which says that he wants to be in ice, he loves to be outside playing hockey or that he isn't interested in beer, he is interested in hockey. He trains shooting everyday and plays rollerhockey in basement.

He seems to get better everyday! He should be really good in WJC!
For the sake of future reference and so that no one thinks he's a David Blaine wanna-be, that should "on the ice", not "in ice".