HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather's involvement in Rangers game plan

Old
10-19-2010, 05:25 PM
stcatcs12

vCash: 500
Sather's involvement in Rangers game plan

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I'm beginning to wonder just how much say Sather has in who plays and who is scratched.

I've read many posts bashing Tortorella for choosing to play Eminger and Gilroy while Sauer is scratched and Valentenko and Mcdonagh are in Hartford.What if Sather is the one insisting on Eminger and Gilroy getting ice time? They are after all his acquisitions. Maybe Sather feels we should be playing guys who have more pro experience, regardless of what they may or may not bring to the team.

Andrew Gross in his latest article reports that no call-ups will be made for the upcoming road trip, and we can look for Todd White to be given a bigger role to try and produce. I don't think Todd White was very impressive at all in the Colorado game, and I don't think he would be any more effective then Zuccarello or Kennedy would be on the wing. I kind of feel as if this is Sather's doing as well. White is a typical Sather reclamation project, and it could be that Sather wants him to get a legitimate shot, whether he earned it during pre season or not.

Perhaps Tortorella doesn't deserve all of the blame for the decisions he makes on who plays and who is scratched? Or maybe I'm just stretching here? I'm curious to hear what the rest of you think on this.
Apologies for the long post.

stcatcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

No.

Sather doesn't make gameday decisions.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
OverTheCap

I don't think Sather has much of a say in deciding who to dress.

But he wield considerable influence over who to call up or send down to Hartford. Sather makes the ultimate decision in formulating the roster. A quote from Gross' blog from yesterday mentioned this:

Quote:
Coach John Tortorella was asked after the game whether he would re-consider the decision to carry just 12. Tortorella allowed that it wasn’t his decision and said he hadn’t talked to GM Glen Sather yet.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 05:38 PM
stcatcs12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't think Sather has much of a say in deciding who to dress.

But he wield considerable influence over who to call up or send down to Hartford. Sather makes the ultimate decision in formulating the roster. A quote from Gross' blog from yesterday mentioned this:
Well that's kind of the point I was driving at. He could very well be expressing his opinion that White, Eminger, and Gilroy all should be playing. Still not so sure why Sauer is scratched. I'm not a pro or anti- Torts guy but I have a hard time believing he sees nothing wrong with our third defensive pairing.

stcatcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 05:52 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcatcs12 View Post
Well that's kind of the point I was driving at. He could very well be expressing his opinion that White, Eminger, and Gilroy all should be playing. Still not so sure why Sauer is scratched. I'm not a pro or anti- Torts guy but I have a hard time believing he sees nothing wrong with our third defensive pairing.
I guess it's possible that Sather wants to evaluate Eminger so he can decide whether or not to seek out another defenseman to replace him.

As for Todd White playing over Kennedy or MZA, I don't think it has to do with either Sather or Torts thinking that White is some great player that needs to be given a chance. Kennedy could get picked up off re-entry waivers, and that's a risk they may not want to take right now. And I don't think they want to rush MZA if they don't have to... better off letting him continue to get acclimated the big ice in Hartford.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Of course Sather and Tortorella consult with eachother. They have to. GM and Coach need to be on the same page for obvious reasons. Both jobs go hand in hand.

But untimately the coaching decisions are Tortorella's decisions. And the managerial decisions are Sather's decisions.

If both are on the same page, then things can go smoothly. If the coach is of a different mind frame, they get fired.

The coach has to somewhat reflect the plan set forth by the GM and higher ups. The Rangers front office wants a high tempo, young team. Tortorella's coaching style resembles that.

We as fans, need patience as the young guys at the NHL, AHL, and lower levels develop.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:23 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Of course Sather and Tortorella consult with eachother. They have to. GM and Coach need to be on the same page for obvious reasons. Both jobs go hand in hand.

But untimately the coaching decisions are Tortorella's decisions. And the managerial decisions are Sather's decisions.

If both are on the same page, then things can go smoothly. If the coach is of a different mind frame, they get fired.

The coach has to somewhat reflect the plan set forth by the GM and higher ups. The Rangers front office wants a high tempo, young team. Tortorella's coaching style resembles that.

We as fans, need patience as the young guys at the NHL, AHL, and lower levels develop.
What is this based on? I always assumed that the coach makes coaching decisions and the GM makes GM decisions - the real question is which decisions are which. For a specific example, is it a GM decisions or a coach decision to keep Sauer on the bench while Eminger hands the opposition wins? How do you know this?

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts discussed the process last week in regards to Tim Kennedy

Quote:
Tortorella said, regarding Tim Kennedy being assigned to Hartford (AHL), that Kennedy, at 24, needed to play, which he’ll be able to do at Hartford. However, Tortorella conceded there’s a good chance the Rangers could lose Kennedy on bargain re-entry waivers ($275,000 - check my math). The choice for demotion came down to Kennedy and Todd White (who will be a healthy scratch for the third straight game on Friday and volunteered to be used as an eighth defenseman during team drills today). “It’s really not my decision,” Tortorella said. “I gave him (GM Glen Sather) my thoughts and this was the way we decided to go.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ury_and_the_d/

Torts has made mention of sitting upstairs with Schoenfeld in Sather's office at the practice rink discussing the roster. It's a similar process in all sports.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:43 PM
beastly115

I highly doubt Sather signed Boogey for 4 years at 1.6M per just to play him 2 mins a game and not even use him.

Torts is making Sather look like a fool with that signing.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I highly doubt Sather signed Boogey for 4 years at 1.6M per just to play him 2 mins a game and not even use him.

Torts is making Sather look like a fool with that signing.
Sather made himself look like a fool with that signing.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Ranger Angst

Fire both !!!

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote