HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Center Ice

Old
10-19-2010, 07:17 PM
gopreds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predlady View Post
I live in Sparta(south of Cookeville) and directv has it blacked it out here. I'm really po'd!
So, maybe I have to call the NHL league office in the morning and complain?

gopreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:25 PM
gopreds

It does say on wikipedia that the team must approve a blackout lift before the start of that game, so this does seem to fall on the shoulders of the Predators themselves.

Old
10-19-2010, 07:40 PM
hockey_socks

The Preds can't lift any black outs until the Fox/Dish slap fight is done. Preds can't do squat about it.

Per Bob Kohl (Preds Broadcasting Chief) and Jeff Cogen (Preds CEO)

Edit: To be specific, Mr. Kohl and Mr. Cogen verified that the local blackouts are because of the Fox/Dish dispute; Mr. Kohl added that they are unable to lift any local blackouts until that dispute is settled.

Last edited by hockey_socks: 10-19-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Specifics
hockey_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:43 PM
predlady

You can watch on atdhe.net; use the second choice. I downloaded the player needed , but it wasn't doing too well. You can try it, though. I'll just stick with the radio broadcast.

predlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds View Post
It does say on wikipedia that the team must approve a blackout lift before the start of that game, so this does seem to fall on the shoulders of the Predators themselves.
Wiki? When did that become a reliable source?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
gopreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Wiki? When did that become a reliable source?
Never, but I can't find any information anywhere else that talks about this issue.

Old
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
gopreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_socks View Post
The Preds can't lift any black outs until the Fox/Dish slap fight is done. Preds can't do squat about it.

Per Bob Kohl (Preds Broadcasting Chief) and Jeff Cogen (Preds CEO)
So this is Rupert Murdoch and Charlie Ergens fault, just great

Old
10-19-2010, 07:50 PM
CHestah in Maine

Hello,

I'm going to ask a dumb question...but why can't I find the Preds' game tonight on Comcast? here in Nashville? They seem to have changed the channels around a lot and I can't find the game.

CHestah in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:57 PM
gopreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHestah in Maine View Post
Hello,

I'm going to ask a dumb question...but why can't I find the Preds' game tonight on Comcast? here in Nashville? They seem to have changed the channels around a lot and I can't find the game.
Please look elsewhere in this thread, the game is on the Center Ice Package, I think its on game channel 4 in my area, but its being blacked out in Nashville and Memphis apparently because of the Dish/Fox dispute that means no blackouts can be lifted until they clear up the dispute, so all Preds games in the Nashville and Memphis areas will be blacked out on Center Ice, even when they arent shown on Fox Sports South or Sports South, meaning its not on tv tonight.

Old
10-19-2010, 08:07 PM
CHestah in Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds View Post
Please look elsewhere in this thread, the game is on the Center Ice Package, I think its on game channel 4 in my area, but its being blacked out in Nashville and Memphis apparently because of the Dish/Fox dispute that means no blackouts can be lifted until they clear up the dispute, so all Preds games in the Nashville and Memphis areas will be blacked out on Center Ice, even when they arent shown on Fox Sports South or Sports South, meaning its not on tv tonight.
Yeah I'm not talking about the Center Ice package. I don't know the name of the network, but last year the games were on like Fox Sports Tennessee, which was channel 182 in HD if I recall correctly. Comcast has changed their channel line-up, so my question remains....where can I find the game, or did Fox Sports Tennessee (or whatever it was) stop carrying the Preds?

Old
10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
hockey_socks

From what I'm able to put together, basic Center Ice is only supposed to be for out-of-market games (per the NHL TV broadcasting division). The teams can then ask for other blackouts to be lifted (which the Preds usually do when they can). The Fox/Dish snit has put a freeze on the whole local blackout lifting thing.

Gotta wonder how many Center Ice subs the league will be down because of this.

Old
10-19-2010, 08:10 PM
hockey_socks

Quote:
Yeah I'm not talking about the Center Ice package. I don't know the name of the network, but last year the games were on like Fox Sports Tennessee, which was channel 182 in HD if I recall correctly. Comcast has changed their channel line-up, so my question remains....where can I find the game, or did Fox Sports Tennessee (or whatever it was) stop carrying the Preds?
FSNTN is not broadcasting the game tonight. The only broadcast is the opposing team feed.

Old
10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
CHestah in Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_socks View Post
FSNTN is not broadcasting the game tonight. The only broadcast is the opposing team feed.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Old
10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
It's game 5 of the season and you're just now asking what network provides local coverage?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
It's game 5 of the season and you're just now asking what network provides local coverage?
Maybe she was in attendance at the other games.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Hello,

There are only 60 games being broadcast on local cable. It sucks, but at least it's more than the 55 from previous years. Also, all games are in HD this year.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm
Quote:
What is wrong with you? It was an honest question.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:20 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Question from my dad:

He has comcast and has the Center Ice package. Last night, the game was not on tv locally, but it was blacked out on center ice (the Calgary feed was). When he called to complain, they told him that it is a NHL rule that they black out any games for the local team (whether it is on tv locally or not).

Is anyone else having this problem? And if not, then can someone else respond to say if this is correct or incorrect?

Thanks

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:35 AM
sighthndlady

ok, so if I understand this thread correctly - when the game is at home and not broadcast by FSN, we aren't going to be able to get the opposing team's broadcast until the providers' snit gets worked out. Apparently we can't even get it after the fact - the 11:00 rebroadcast on CI last night was also blacked out.

What about when the game is away and not broadcast by FSN? Is that considered out of market?

As to the other question re where to find the Comcast broadcasts: Comcast did a total channel lineup change sometime late last week, and as of Saturday their online listing was still the old one. The only way I found the stations was to have TIVO redo its channels, so it's not a trivial question. Opening night was on the old channel number, but now they're FSTN -HD is 295; SportsSouth HD is 284. You have to look at the schedule to see whether the game will be on 295 or 284.

Non HD versions are still 26 (SpS) and 28 (FSTN)

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Dodgie

From the NHL Center Ice Ad:http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26371

"If you are in the local television market for a team or teams, whether they are playing home or away, you will be blacked out of their games in NHL Center Ice."

It's never been this way in the past. If this isn't resolved soon they're losing THIS customer. I can't afford to pay for something I'm not getting.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

This is what I've gathered from years past: when Versus has "full" broadcast rights it's also blocked from Center Ice, even if Versus doesn't actually broadcast that game in your area. However, if Versus has "simple" broadcast rights and, say, FSTN has "full" broadcast rights, it will be shown on FSTN. Back when we played our first playoff games, that is what happened with ESPN. ESPN showed it everywhere else but our area showed FSTN. FSTN wanted the game and they had precedence in our market. Sometimes, the game will be shown in both places, which is indicative of yet another agreement between the parties.

We got one of those gadgets that makes it so you can see stuff from your computer on your TV screen. Haven't set it up yet. I'm hoping the quality is decent, but if not, I am pretty used to finding feeds and sitting hunched over my computer to watch games at this point. Is it illegal? I suppose. And I hate that. But if the games I want to see aren't available for purchase, particularly away games that I can't attend, then I have no remorse.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgie View Post
From the NHL Center Ice Ad:http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26371

"If you are in the local television market for a team or teams, whether they are playing home or away, you will be blacked out of their games in NHL Center Ice."

It's never been this way in the past. If this isn't resolved soon they're losing THIS customer. I can't afford to pay for something I'm not getting.
I think you are reading this wrong. This applies only to games (home or away) that are actually being broadcast by the regional sports network (FSN in this case). It does not apply to other games were there is no locally available broadcast. If the locally available network is not broadcasting, there are no "blackout rights" to exercise and you should get the game from the opponents broadcast.

Having said this, please note: InDemand requires cable providers to run reports showing any issues, outages, signal quality, etc. Having spoken directly with a VP for InDemand in the past (were my Center Ice problems were so egregious that I actually got the yearly subscription for free, but that's another story for another day) , many cable companies DO NOT accurately report problems back to InDemand, and InDemand relies on customers to give feedback. You should email InDemand directly with your concerns or if you're lucky, find their real corporate phone number and call them. Sometimes these blackout issues and other random games not showing up is a simple programming error with the cable company. As I said they are supposed to run reports showing that they regularly update their system, but often times they fail to do so. There have been cases were all games are blacked out regardless of whether there is a local broadcast or not (like you're having) because the wrong blackout code is entered. (For example I once had my cable company blacking out all LA,SJ and ANA games because my local cable company entered the SoCal and NorCal blackout codes). Sometimes the answer is as simple as a system reboot at the cable offices of their broadcast hardware. Changes in lineups can sometimes impact what is getting shown.

My point is you really need to contact InDemand if you cannot get satisfaction through your local provider. I've been told that 99% of the InDemand issues are from a lack of effort, care, attention to details, etc. on behalf of the local companies and that often the fixes are ridiculously simple (entering the right codes, reboot, etc.) ----but that the locals just don't really care. The phone jockey at the cable company doesn't know crap about blackout rules and probably doesn't care if they are right or wrong. I'm surprised you didn't get "what's hockey?" when you all call these people about Center Ice. Don't forget that InDemand is owned by Comcast, Time Warner and Cox Comm, so InDemand takes customer service seriously. Take your issues to a higher (and more knowledgeable) authority and good luck!!

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:54 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
I have been told by both DirecTv and Comcast (I have both at home) that even if the games are NOT shown on Fox Sports South (Tn or Sportsnet), we will be blacked out from all away team's feeds because Fox Sports owns the rights to these telecasts. Is this correct?

Old
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

...Or was the Preds game possibly blacked out on CI due to Versus having exclusive US broadcast rights as I read somewhere else? Can (would) they do that to us? I don't ever remember CI being that picky in the past...

Last edited by darth5: 10-20-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarification
darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:05 PM
utmfisher19

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
...Or was the Preds game possibly blacked out on CI due to Versus having exclusive US broadcast rights as I read somewhere else? Can (would) they do that to us? I don't ever remember CI being that picky in the past...
Was it on Versus last night?

Old
10-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Was it on Versus last night?
No ... the Caps - Bruins game was on VS, but they had the right to gobble up the viewing rights & not allow anyone else show the game (seen it happen before)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote