HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #5: at Tampa Bay, 10/18 (6:30 PM, FSSW, 1310 AM)

Old
10-18-2010, 10:24 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Raycroft in net vs. the Cats, ya think?
if so we better hang a 10 spot on them

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:28 PM
txomisc

Also we must continue to point out that our forwards pretty much don't play defense. Way too many of them are looking for hits, trying ill timed steals or just loafing around. With this bad mix of dmen we need way way way more commitment from our forwards, especially on the pk. They are absolutely as guilty as the dmen of not being able to clear a puck. I'm not sure Morrows cleared one on the PK since took a stick to the face in the playoffs against the ducks.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Another positive: Wandell did look much better, for the most part.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:33 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Absolutely. It was the first game that I really noticed him at all. Hopefully that keeps improving cuz he is pretty good defensively and tough to skate around. We need some more guys who are tough to skate through.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Eksynyt Stars

Send a message via AIM to Eksynyt Stars Send a message via MSN to Eksynyt Stars
Tampa is going to make the playoffs this year. If we can figure out how to stop taking penalties and actually make a kill, we might make it too.

Eksynyt Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
I would be happy with this team if we could figure out how to get either our PK or PP on track. If we could add a decent special teams (I don't care which one) into the mix, we'd be fine.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 04:32 AM
chrissmith

Just got up and watched the first two periods.

Not that it'd have made much difference but there seemed to be a blatant high stick on Petersen at 3-2 I think?, that play ends up with a sustained period of pressure from the Lightning and we end up taking a penalty.

Few minutes after that of course the refs notice the one on St Louis.

chrissmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Dr GLU

The big problem with the PK is up top. There is a lot of miscommunication between the forwards, and the box is breaking down too easily, allowing wide-open shooting and passing lanes. The defense hasn't done the greatest job of clearing people out or fronting players in front of the net either, but too many shots are getting through from the point in the first place, and that's the forwards' responsibility.

Also, as good as Kari has been, his rebound control was awful last night. A fair amount of the bad came from him putting rebounds in bad spots. Maybe he wasn't seeing the puck as well or maybe he was a little tired, but if he plays the way he does in the first 4, the Stars probably sneak out another victory. I don't fault him at all given the situation he's in, but if this is an off night for him, I think we all will take it and run.

Out of the defense so far this season, only Skrastins has really played close to their ability level. All of the other 5 are underachieving to some degree, and with as thin as this group is to begin with, that can't continue for long if they want to keep winning.

I also want to know when Ott is going to start earning that new contract. For all the talk of injecting passion into the game Joe gave us, all he's done is take bad penalties and played with practically no bite. It was good to see Wandell starting to get back to form. I figured the early game struggles was more a case of not enough game action than problems with his knee since he hadn't played in many NHL games in ages. Liked Neal's game last night (especially the rough night he was giving Hedman), but I wonder what was up with Loui. It was like he'd completely forgotten how to use his stick.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
This was the only positive. The Finn naturally keeps it from being a 10 or 12 goal embarrassment. End of the day that's still an embarrassment.

2 players that need to be called out: Ott, Eriksson. Not so much Loui, just an awful night, but anyone know what's up with Ott; is he going for the Byng? I'm convinced he's upset that a 4th liner (Burish) took his post on the 2nd line.

Hockey is a simple game, listen to player interviews. Everyone thinks they're dumb guys, but really hockey is that simple. Clear it, get the puck deep and work it down low. Transition/breakout, dump it in and cycle for opportunities. God. Not sure I saw this sequence even once all night. And another huge disadvantage is size of some of our forwards. The Burish turnover isn't laziness, it's being at a size and reach disadvantage with Bergenheim.

I'd rather be kicked in the face than have to watch that kind of drubbing again. Should have been 9-4. Oh and 20% on the PK...stellar.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
The big problem with the PK is up top. There is a lot of miscommunication between the forwards, and the box is breaking down too easily, allowing wide-open shooting and passing lanes. The defense hasn't done the greatest job of clearing people out or fronting players in front of the net either, but too many shots are getting through from the point in the first place, and that's the forwards' responsibility.
That is one of the biggest issues this team has right now. It is easy to put all the blame on the defense(and they deserve a lot of it) but the forwards have been just as bad when it come to defense. Besides what you mentioned, there is all the issue of clearing the zone. How many times has the defense moved the puck up the boards only for it to be turned over at the blue line because a forward got out-hustled or out-muscled? Then you have bad turnovers and missed assignments. Last night Burish turns the puck over at his own blue line which leads to the third goal and later Loui just watches as Moore scores Tampa's fifth goal. The forwards know how to play defense. We've seen them do it. Crawford needs to find a way to remind them.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissmith View Post
Just got up and watched the first two periods.

Not that it'd have made much difference but there seemed to be a blatant high stick on Petersen at 3-2 I think?, that play ends up with a sustained period of pressure from the Lightning and we end up taking a penalty.

Few minutes after that of course the refs notice the one on St Louis.
There were a lot of odd calls and non calls, but if they could PK worth a crap, it wouldn't matter.

GLU - I seem to remember Ott always being a bit of a slow starter, and I know there have been some, um, off-ice personal issues the past two summers that might have compounded that. I also wonder if he is a little banged up given that he got a day off from practice earlier this week. He isn't playing to the level he was at the end of last season, but I also don't think he is playing as poorly as others do. He had a nice game last night other than not scoring. I don't believe they scored a PK goal against the him-Wandell forward pair, and his line created the most consistent pressure in Tampa's zone.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:29 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post

Also, as good as Kari has been, his rebound control was awful last night. A fair amount of the bad came from him putting rebounds in bad spots. Maybe he wasn't seeing the puck as well or maybe he was a little tired, but if he plays the way he does in the first 4, the Stars probably sneak out another victory. I don't fault him at all given the situation he's in, but if this is an off night for him, I think we all will take it and run.
Yeah, from a bit I saw last night and a bit of the Center Ice rerun I saw last night, he seemed more shaky and not really set in goal. In his first games he's able to glide over and make a save with his long leg and make it look easy, but last night in some of those same situations he was scrambling more. As you said, he obviously wasn't the problem last night and if that's an off night, its pretty good, but I wonder if that will play into whether he starts Thursday vs Saturday.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:39 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Craw has said he's leaning towards Kari against the Panthers. I personally think Raycroft should get the start; Panthers are one of the least dangerous teams we'll be playing this month, and Kari is not going to be the type of goalie who stays at this level of production playing 70 games a year.

Man up to your deficiencies and stop using your Goalie to save your ass Crow!

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
^Indeed.

Kari needs a break. Instead we're seeing the same **** Tippett used to pull, letting Tobias Stephan rot on the bench. Of course, there's a big difference between the way Turco played during that long stretch, and the way Kari's looked thus far. But he can't keep doing this.

If Crow overplays Lehtonen, we're toast.

10-19-2010, 08:47 PM
txomisc

Quote:
^Indeed.

Kari needs a break. Instead we're seeing the same **** Tippett used to pull, letting Tobias Stephan rot on the bench. Of course, there's a big difference between the way Turco played during that long stretch, and the way Kari's looked thus far. But he can't keep doing this.

If Crow overplays Lehtonen, we're toast.
Yeah i think its time to get raycroft a game. I suspect it means we lose but its better not to over work lethonen. Im not sure if last nights rebound control problems were a sign of fatigue or just getting screened constantly.

Old
10-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Kari needs a break.
We're 5 games into the season. And now we're getting 3 days off. Why does he need a break now?

I understand not wanting to overplay him, and I agree. But come on. I would completely support sitting him against Nashville but against Florida after 3 days off? No.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote