HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1997 All-Star Game: why was Recchi the POG instead of Nolan?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-06-2005, 04:59 PM
  #1
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
1997 All-Star Game: why was Recchi the POG instead of Nolan?

Nolan made history that night with the "babe ruth" goal, plus I believe he also broke the records for two fastest goals. Not only that, but he did it all in front of his home team crowd!

Recchi also got a hat trick but his goals weren't really that spectacular and he just fed off Mark Messier the whole night.

So, uhm... why was Recchi and not Nolan the player of the game? I know the Eastern conference won, but that can't be the only reason, right?

Masao is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 05:01 PM
  #2
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,076
vCash: 500
While we're complaining.. in 2002 I believe, Markus Naslund had 2G 1A and World won 6-4, but Eric Daze on the losing team with only 2 goals won MVP! What!

kmad is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 05:05 PM
  #3
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,192
vCash: 500
I can't remember either game, but could it be that the voters cast their votes before the game was over?

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 05:06 PM
  #4
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I can't remember either game, but could it be that the voters cast their votes before the game was over?
Possibly, seeing as though Nolan scored his 3rd goal near the end of the game... but voting before the game is over would be the stupidest thing ever.

Masao is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
  #5
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Does anybody really care who the POG in an all-star game is? I guess some people do otherwise we wouldn't have a thread about it.

I stopped watching all star games back in 1992. They are played with the intensity of a beer league and really are not that entertaining at all. I don't think any of the players care about the POG there are just goofing around with the guys.

If any player wanted to be POG he could simply put some effort in and dominate. But, that would look hilarious when nobody else is trying.

Sorry for the rant. The all star game bores me.

Ogopogo* is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 06:49 PM
  #6
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Does anybody really care who the POG in an all-star game is? I guess some people do otherwise we wouldn't have a thread about it.

I stopped watching all star games back in 1992. They are played with the intensity of a beer league and really are not that entertaining at all. I don't think any of the players care about the POG there are just goofing around with the guys.

If any player wanted to be POG he could simply put some effort in and dominate. But, that would look hilarious when nobody else is trying.

Sorry for the rant. The all star game bores me.
Uh, I don't know... I think the all star game is one of the nicest events of the year. It's not because there's no hitting that it can't be spectacular. There's a lot of skill on the ice and it's wide open so you get to see a lot of nice plays and passes, etc.

Masao is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 06:57 PM
  #7
Lobstertainment
Registered User
 
Lobstertainment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,259
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I'm thought the Babe Ruth goal was during the skills competition.

Lobstertainment is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 07:02 PM
  #8
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
I'm thought the Babe Ruth goal was during the skills competition.
Uh, no it was late in the third period. Hasek had been stopping everything and Nolan got frustrated like a dozen times trying to get his hat trick, then finally got it near the end of the game

Masao is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 07:06 PM
  #9
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
Nolan made history that night with the "babe ruth" goal, plus I believe he also broke the records for two fastest goals. Not only that, but he did it all in front of his home team crowd!

Recchi also got a hat trick but his goals weren't really that spectacular and he just fed off Mark Messier the whole night.

So, uhm... why was Recchi and not Nolan the player of the game? I know the Eastern conference won, but that can't be the only reason, right?

2 things:

a) why do you even care?

b) Since I remember this (mainly cuz of nolan calling his shot against Hasek), I'll tell you what happened. Nolan did the majority of his damage very late in the game and the votes were already tabulated. Recchi was easily the the winner due to this.

Hackett is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 08:16 PM
  #10
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 500
I still think Hasek deserved it... Perhaps the best period of goaltending I can ever remember seeing in my life.

IIRC, the commentators did say something at the time about how the voting was done before the end of the game, which might explain the decision.

Amen evil king is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 08:24 PM
  #11
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
I don't get this whole voting done before the game ends thing... what's the point? I mean, they don't chose the three stars before the game ends in normal games as far as I know, so why would they chose the POG before the all star game ends? Makes no sense

Masao is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 09:31 PM
  #12
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,538
vCash: 500
I loved that called goal by Nolan on Hasek. Awesome.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 09:53 PM
  #13
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,076
vCash: 500
http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...80TGFA48SJTMSQ

The nolan pointing goal for those interested

kmad is offline  
Old
05-06-2005, 10:39 PM
  #14
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
I don't get this whole voting done before the game ends thing... what's the point? I mean, they don't chose the three stars before the game ends in normal games as far as I know, so why would they chose the POG before the all star game ends? Makes no sense
I think it has to do with the American networks. It seems to me, they don't like to waste time after a game, and simply want to end the broadcast once the final horn sounds. Have you guys noticed that immediately after the game ends, the networks put up the end credits and flee?

Therefore, by having the vote before the game ends, they can show POG with a few minutes left, and then just scram after the final second.

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 01:24 AM
  #15
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Recchi had a hat trick for the winning team. Nolan had it for the losing team. Recchi also did his damage in the early parts of the game, while Nolan put up numbers late in the second/third periods when the contest was already decided.

God Bless Canada is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 08:27 AM
  #16
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Is this the game where Hasek played incredible making like 20 saves or something in the third?

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 09:59 AM
  #17
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Is this the game where Hasek played incredible making like 20 saves or something in the third?
Yeah, and he stoned Nolan like 15 times trying to get a hat trick... then in the end of the game Nolan came, pointed and scored ala babe ruth. The place went mad.


Last edited by Masao: 05-07-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Masao is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 10:59 AM
  #18
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
While we're complaining.. in 2002 I believe, Markus Naslund had 2G 1A and World won 6-4, but Eric Daze on the losing team with only 2 goals won MVP! What!
Actually, it was pretty widely acknowledged that the one who got screwed that year was Khabibulin, who posted an amazing shut-out in the 3rd period which allowed the World Team to come back. Link

But anyway, like others have said, it's all in fun and not really a big deal, just gives us something to talk about. They really should re-think when they have the voting, however.

Sotnos is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 11:21 AM
  #19
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Actually, it was pretty widely acknowledged that the one who got screwed that year was Khabibulin, who posted an amazing shut-out in the 3rd period which allowed the World Team to come back. Link

But anyway, like others have said, it's all in fun and not really a big deal, just gives us something to talk about. They really should re-think when they have the voting, however.
This is even worse, actually. It's like if the 3rd-period goalie doesn't stand a chance to get P.O.G. no matter what

Masao is offline  
Old
05-07-2005, 02:22 PM
  #20
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
This is even worse, actually. It's like if the 3rd-period goalie doesn't stand a chance to get P.O.G. no matter what
Yup, would hold true for anyone who turns it on in the 3rd and affects the game in a big way.

Sotnos is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 07:07 PM
  #21
benji
Took too much, man.
 
benji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Too much.
Posts: 10,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Do you really want to watch commercials and All-Star Game analysis for 30 minutes while the votes are being cast and tabulated?

benji is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 08:26 PM
  #22
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 10,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
Do you really want to watch commercials and All-Star Game analysis for 30 minutes while the votes are being cast and tabulated?
30 minutes? Why can't they just name the three stars of the game like any other game? #1 star gets the trophy.

tom_servo is online now  
Old
05-09-2005, 08:29 PM
  #23
markov`
Registered User
 
markov`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Top 2 in the world
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
It was in 1997? Are you kidding me?

I was 8 years old and I remember every moment of this goal.

God... I would've swear it was in 2000, 2001...

markov` is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 08:50 PM
  #24
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 10,872
vCash: 500
The Owen Nolan goal is featured on the Top 10 Goals of '96-'97 video, which is linked within the Downloadable Hockey Videos Thread.

Or, right here...

http://rapidshare.de/files/1607423/N...96-97.mpg.html

tom_servo is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.