HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Rick Rypien Incident(UPD: Suspended 6 Games, Post # 508)

Old
10-20-2010, 12:46 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
if some guy gets 2 games for making lewd gestures at another player...yeah, there will most definitely be a suspension. sucks, too---rypien is nothing if not entertaining in a fight. My guess will be 20 because A) he's a relative nobody and B) the league will want to look powerful to the non-hockey world in an incident that will get at least some press.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:47 AM
MarkMM

vCash: 500
Do we have to wait till after the suspension is over before we can waive him? I'm wondering if there's a way to remove him from our cap while he's suspended.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
I wouldn't be surprised with 15. He gave the linesman a shot on his way to the bench. That'll cost him at least 5 games. The Fan thing will get him 5-10. So that's 10-15 games.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:51 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

I think the cheapshot over the linesman will be overlooked in light of the fan altercation.

Will be disappointed with the league if he gets anything less than 20+ and disappointed with the Canucks organization if he ever suits up for the team again.

Absolutely pathetic, enjoy riding the bus.

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
I demand that the minute Rick Rypien returns from his 17 game suspension he is placed on waivers.

First of all, the thread title is suspension with a ? at the end. How can you even question it? he Assaulted a fan. A paying customer to a sporting event should NEVER be touched, grabbed, or hit by a player. It is so wrong on every level.

It doesn't matter what the fan said, there is no excuse for it. People on here are acting like it's just a little shake and that's no too bad. It is bad, it's very bad. If I were that fan I would have already sent a pm to Wetcoaster asking about the legal action I could take against the player and the league.

He's a garbage hockey player who does nothing but engage in fights. he has had off ice issues in the past and has now attacked a paying customer. He should be off the team and out of the league.
First off, ring out your panties. If you really think you would get ANYTHING out of a lawsuit for that then you are just a sad sad person. He grabbed the shirt after the guy said something to him, obviously he shouldn't have but calling it assault is laughable. The legal definition of assault is so stupid that 95% of the none-legal community would look at you like you were an idiot if you tried to define it that way colloquially.

He didn't attack a paying customer, he committed assault, with no related battery. Suspension, absolutely. Legal action? only in America.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡° ᴥ͡°)

My guess is somewhere between 5 and 10 games.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if he got 10+ games.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Dado

vCash:
Not saying it should or shouldn't be done, but is there a mechanism in the SPC that would allow for his contract to be terminated?

Old
10-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Lz68

He will be sitting a few games and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up spending a lot more time in the press box after the suspension is over... Finally considering how the team has looked worse in every game he's been in the lineup I really don't care what happens.

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:59 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
First off, ring out your panties. If you really think you would get ANYTHING out of a lawsuit for that then you are just a sad sad person. He grabbed the shirt after the guy said something to him, obviously he shouldn't have but calling it assault is laughable. The legal definition of assault is so stupid that 95% of the none-legal community would look at you like you were an idiot if you tried to define it that way colloquially.

He didn't attack a paying customer, he committed assault, with no related battery. Suspension, absolutely. Legal action? only in America.
Now is probably a good time to remind you this happened in America.

Legal action aside he's going to get 10+ games for this. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 20 games. No one associated with the NHL wants anything like this in the game, he will get a precedent setting suspension out of this.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:00 AM
topheavyhookjaw

Best guess is 1/4 of the remaining games, so 14 or so for the fan interaction. Depends if the linesman thing is suspendable:

Quote:
On-ice officials determine if there are grounds for "abuse of official" penalty. Usually has to be flagrant. Nothing was assessed this time.
from McKenzie says to me that he won't get anything for the officials, but the sucker punch on Staubitz might be worth 2, who knows. My official wager would be 16.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Now is probably a good time to remind you this happened in America.

Legal action aside he's going to get 10+ games for this. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 20 games. No one associated with the NHL wants anything like this in the game, he will get a precedent setting suspension out of this.
Its just more idiocy from the same morons who talked about how much Bertuzzi would have to pay. How is that going?

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:08 AM
timorousme
luongod

can we fool the NHL into thinking Bieksa did this?

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:09 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:

I may not get anything but I would sure try.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
10 games minimum. I love Rypien but man, that was dumb.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:12 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
I would be stunned if it was lower than 10 games. I would guess 15-20. For some reason I am very curious to see how many games he gets.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
can we fool the NHL into thinking Bieksa did this?
Hah. I thought the same thing but didn't want to post it.

Quote:
I may not get anything but I would sure try.
Did Justin Bieber scratch your face at Planet Lazer?

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durr View Post
10 games minimum. I love Rypien but man, that was dumb.
I would guess somewhere in the area of 15 games.
Rypien is a 4th liner, so the NHL can get away with a long suspension. I mean, some of the hits since the 20 game Downey suspension have been worse than the hit he laid out on McAmmond, and no one else has drawn a double digit suspension have they?

Simon did the stomp on Ruutu, but he has a long history.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:24 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
We can have Rypien or be without him, he is an excellent fighter but his virtues starts and ends there. We can easily chip in a load of players who fills his shoes in every other aspect of the game.

With that said, I like Rypien, but he is expendable.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:25 AM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
I demand that the minute Rick Rypien returns from his 17 game suspension he is placed on waivers.

First of all, the thread title is suspension with a ? at the end. How can you even question it? he Assaulted a fan. A paying customer to a sporting event should NEVER be touched, grabbed, or hit by a player. It is so wrong on every level.

It doesn't matter what the fan said, there is no excuse for it. People on here are acting like it's just a little shake and that's no too bad. It is bad, it's very bad. If I were that fan I would have already sent a pm to Wetcoaster asking about the legal action I could take against the player and the league.

He's a garbage hockey player who does nothing but engage in fights. he has had off ice issues in the past and has now attacked a paying customer. He should be off the team and out of the league.
First off: I agree, Rypien will and should be suspended. Somewhere between 10 and 15 games seems appropriate. Also, no fan should be threatened like that.

However, I really think you need to put your big girl panties on. What good is it to argue about a barring players from the league when we as fans allow and cheer for brutal, intentional, career and life threatening plays between players? Give your head a shake.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:32 AM
Wetcoaster

Unlike Mad Mike Milbury, Rypien did not wade into the stands and beat a guy with his own shoe.

Milbury got a two game suspension for nailing the guy with the loafer.

Here are CBC's pick for the Top Ten player/fan interactions as of 2004 - Milbury wins...
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/top..._violence.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:34 AM
ZyggZagg

Quote:

This happened in the states, where you can sue for millions if you stub your toe...

ZyggZagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:35 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
1979 Bruins vs The Rangers Fans: It all started on the ice – but it ended very far off it. On December 23, 1979, the Boston Bruins had just wrapped up a 4-3 victory over the Rangers in Madison Square Garden, and a few of the skaters had actually headed back into the locker room. But then things got a little testy on the ice. Both teams got into a little bit of a scrum following the final whistle, and had pushed each other around in the left corner of the rink. Then, the Ranger faithful got involved. It all started when a fan reached over the boards and grabbed Stan Jonathan’s stick, hitting him with it as the players on the ice were in arms. Other fans then followed suit, pestering the Bruins players. That’s when Terry O’Reilly hit his boiling point. Big number 24 then launched himself over the boards, charging into the stands. Plenty of Bruins followed him off the ice, including Mike Milbury, who ripped off a fan’s shoe and beat him mercilessly with it. O’Reilly himself received an eight-game suspension for the fight. He also received a lifetime in Boston folk-lore.

Grow up ladies.

Edit: Of all the people to beat me to the punch

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
This happened in the states, where you can sue for millions if you stub your toe...
In the Mike Milbury loafer assault noted above the one-shoed fan sued for $7 million - and got nothing.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Spamhuis

at least we won't have to deal with an AV style fourth line after this altercation. We should be happy rypien's gone. I'd way rather have tambo in the lineup over rypper... he's a good fighter but what's the point if his value comes after we've already lost the game.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Hal 9000*

I'm not condoning what Rypien did, however, this fan wasn't just sitting minding his own business. He wasn't instigating anything but was agitating the situation. All this mayhem is going on just feet away from him, he stands up, giving a patronizing clap, and i'd guess was shouting something (based on the fact that Rypien turned and knew exactly who he was targetting). So, I'd say he was certainly agitating the situation. Should Rypien aggressively grab his arm? No, probably not.

What I have an issue with is the person (or people) who want to enter themselves in a volitile situation, then back off or claim victimhood when someone confronts them. There is a price to be paid for getting involved. If you want into the game, then take your lumps.

It reminds me of celebrities who involve themselves in politics, then don't want to pay the price when politicians or fans turn it around on them.

Again, suspend Rypien for getting involved with a fan and we'll all feel good again, but lets not pretend that there is a victim here.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote