HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Rypien Incident(UPD: Suspended 6 Games, Post # 508)

Old
10-20-2010, 03:01 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
I'm not condoning what Rypien did, however, this fan wasn't just sitting minding his own business. He wasn't instigating anything but was agitating the situation. All this mayhem is going on just feet away from him, he stands up, giving a patronizing clap, and i'd guess was shouting something (based on the fact that Rypien turned and knew exactly who he was targetting). So, I'd say he was certainly agitating the situation. Should Rypien aggressively grab his arm? No, probably not.

What I have an issue with is the person (or people) who want to enter themselves in a volitile situation, then back off or claim victimhood when someone confronts them. There is a price to be paid for getting involved. If you want into the game, then take your lumps.

It reminds me of celebrities who involve themselves in politics, then don't want to pay the price when politicians or fans turn it around on them.

Again, suspend Rypien for getting involved with a fan and we'll all feel good again, but lets not pretend that there is a victim here.
Couldn't have worded it better myself.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Hal 9000*

I forgot to mention; Does anybody else notice the gamesmanship from the Wild brass to reseat the 2 fans right on the glass where the TV cameras and the NHL will see them. They could've seated those guys anywhere in the arena, but on the glass? They're obviously trying to embarass and manipulate the Bettman/Campbell.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:18 AM
iceburg

A Rypien suspension may be a blessing in disguise...Oreskovich may get a chance to shine

iceburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:21 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
I'm not condoning what Rypien did, however, this fan wasn't just sitting minding his own business. He wasn't instigating anything but was agitating the situation. All this mayhem is going on just feet away from him, he stands up, giving a patronizing clap, and i'd guess was shouting something (based on the fact that Rypien turned and knew exactly who he was targetting). So, I'd say he was certainly agitating the situation. Should Rypien aggressively grab his arm? No, probably not.

What I have an issue with is the person (or people) who want to enter themselves in a volitile situation, then back off or claim victimhood when someone confronts them. There is a price to be paid for getting involved. If you want into the game, then take your lumps.

It reminds me of celebrities who involve themselves in politics, then don't want to pay the price when politicians or fans turn it around on them.

Again, suspend Rypien for getting involved with a fan and we'll all feel good again, but lets not pretend that there is a victim here.
Fans at sporting events do all that and much more all the time and they are not attacked for it.

There is a victim in this case and it was that poor fellow who was grabbed and shaken, quite roughly I may add, for no other reason than his expressing his right to cheer however he pleases at a sporting event.

If this were a Wild player who shook one of our fellow Canucks fans we would be calling for his head. Like I said earlier, I demand a minimum of 15 games as the suspension and I'd force him to complete an anger management program during that time. Upon completion he would be immediately released from the hockey club. He's a nutcase.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:33 AM
timw33

Can this guy stay in our lineup for any extended period of time? He's been a waste of a roster spot sitting on the IR and now out for a suspension.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:38 AM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:

Were you sitting right next to that fan when he was doing what you said he did?
From what we saw on the video, Rypien just jumped up and grabbed the fan. I've seen other altercations where fans would stand up and point and yap nonstop. Obviously, from the video, this fan wasn't hooting and screaming to the point where a player would lose his cool. Well, unless the fan said something about his mother.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:43 AM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
I forgot to mention; Does anybody else notice the gamesmanship from the Wild brass to reseat the 2 fans right on the glass where the TV cameras and the NHL will see them. They could've seated those guys anywhere in the arena, but on the glass? They're obviously trying to embarass and manipulate the Bettman/Campbell.
I think you're looking at this from a very bias point of view.
First off, if those jokers acted like clowns, they would've been sent off by the security. Secondly, there's a reason why they are reseated by the glass, they paid top dollars to get front row seat so good on them for getting another front row seat.

You are taking things out of context by pointing fingers only at those two 'jokers'. How about turning around and asking why the heck Rypien couldn't control his cool? Blame it on AV? You see AV's reaction immediately after what Rypien did? The bench did not send any message at the fans and AV never said a word to them either. Whenever there are altercations with fans, the bench often erupts. Rypien is wrong this time around and the team did not support him from what was shown in the video.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:46 AM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Fans at sporting events do all that and much more all the time and they are not attacked for it.

There is a victim in this case and it was that poor fellow who was grabbed and shaken, quite roughly I may add, for no other reason than his expressing his right to cheer however he pleases at a sporting event.

If this were a Wild player who shook one of our fellow Canucks fans we would be calling for his head. Like I said earlier, I demand a minimum of 15 games as the suspension and I'd force him to complete an anger management program during that time. Upon completion he would be immediately released from the hockey club. He's a nutcase.
100% agreed.
I'm sure if it went the other way around, if it was Marleau or Thornton, oh boy, the roof would cave in and you'd see banners at GM Place calling Thornton all the names you can think of.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:47 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post

First off, if those jokers acted like clowns, they would've been sent off by the security. Secondly, there's a reason why they are reseated by the glass, they paid top dollars to get front row seat so good on them for getting another front row seat.

You are taking things out of context by pointing fingers only at those two 'jokers'. How about turning around and asking why the heck Rypien couldn't control his cool? Blame it on AV? You see AV's reaction immediately after what Rypien did? The bench did not send any message at the fans and AV never said a word to them either. Whenever there are altercations with fans, the bench often erupts. Rypien is wrong this time around and the team did not support him from what was shown in the video.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:

You see, the bolded part is what I find amusing. "poor fellow", "grabbed and shaken" "quite roughly". You're buying into the victim thing hook, line and sinker.

I've been to games - cheered, booed, chanted Gi-no, Gi-no many times, but I would never point out or look at an individual player and start taunting. If I did, I would as I said be directly involving myself into the situation.

And, for the last part; No I would not care in the slightest if a Wild player grabbed the arm of a Vancouver fan (under the same circumstances), for the exact reasons mentioned above.

Look, fans get involved in many ways and there is a difference between indirect invovement (which we all do) and direct involvement where a fan takes in upon himself to stand three feet away from a guy, and taunt him either verbally or with gestures. I have no sympathy for the dude.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:49 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
100% agreed.
I'm sure if it went the other way around, if it was Marleau or Thornton, oh boy, the roof would cave in and you'd see banners at GM Place calling Thornton all the names you can think of.
Really? Not everyone is as black and white as that. Of course idiots would be calling for his head, but the objective people would have the same stand the have now if the situation was identical. Nice try though.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Kip96

Honestly the fan didn't really do anything but also Rypien just grabbed him.
He didn't hit him or anything so I don't see why he should be hit as hard as people say.
The fan was perfectly fine after as well and shouldn't have been thrown out either

Touching a fan is still a no-no though so he will get suspended but it shouldn't be more than 10 games (maybe an extra 2 for the punch). If he had actually hit the fan or assaulted him then I would understand a much larger suspension

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:

I never condoned what Rypien did - In fact I was quite clear on the issue.

Also, You're naive to think that their reseating on the glass was anything but an effort to get them back on TV and show them as victims that had to be moved away from the mean ol' canucks. That and of course to manipulate the NHL into "it wasn't our fault". It was a message and every newscast is showing them sitting there in the front row. It was a message - that you can be sure.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:57 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I say 12

2 for the cheap shot and 10 for wrestling with the fan
He won't get anything for the "cheap shot"... those happen all the time. If it was something to suspend him over, the refs would've given him the game. (Coz they saw that infraction.)

As for grabbing the fan, I think Rypien will get suspended + a fine. 10 - 20 games

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:58 AM
Kip96

Quote:

Probably not a bad idea

Old
10-20-2010, 04:00 AM
Kip96

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
He won't get anything for the "cheap shot"... those happen all the time. If it was something to suspend him over, the refs would've given him the game. (Coz they saw that infraction.)

As for grabbing the fan, I think Rypien will get suspended + a fine. 10 - 20 games
I think in this situation he probably will

They are going to analyze the **** out of the whole situation

Old
10-20-2010, 04:03 AM
AndyPipkin

Considering there is people who know nothing here screaming that they aren't surpised because Rypien is the dirtiest player ever, then you have a guy who says he actually played hockey with him and was shocked when he heard this...

Old
10-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:

Have you been to a hockey game I say things that I would expect to get the **** shaken outta me for... ...while these guys are the victims, they're not completely "innocent".

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:05 AM
GCM
Stork

If the NHL doesn't suspend Rypien Gillis damn well better. It is not OK to attack a fan, ever, under any circumstances barring physical self-defense.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:06 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Have you been to a hockey game I say things that I would expect to get the **** shaken outta me for... ...while these guys are the victims, they're not completely "innocent".
Pretty much. If the fan said anything it wasn't innocent. I hear 12 year old kids say things on a daily basis I'd be embarassed to repeat aloud.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:20 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Pens fan here in peace*

Not sure of the number of games he will be suspended, would not be surprised if it were in the double digits. One thing is for certain though. His NHL career is probably done, we will be playing the rest of his career in the AHL or another league. I would bet on it.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:23 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Pens fan here in peace*

Not sure of the number of games he will be suspended, would not be surprised if it were in the double digits. One thing is for certain though. His NHL career is probably done, we will be playing the rest of his career in the AHL or another league. I would bet on it.
Maybe because of the fact he was barely in the NHL as it is, but not because of this. Mike Millbury bludgeoned a man with his own shoe FFS.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Soth

Well, Mad Mike only got 2 games for yanking a fan's penny-loafer off and beating him with it.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:38 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Pens fan here in peace*

Not a chance. If Rypien was released tomorrow, there would be 10 teams lining up for his services. He's pound-for-pound the best fighter in the NHL and can play a regular 4th line shift.

Having said that, yeah, he'll be suspended 10-15 games. If the fan had punched him or thown a drink at him, I'd defend Rypien no questions asked. But the fan did nothing to merit this - he cheered and clapped as Rypien was leaving the ice. Taking jeers from opposing fans is par for the course as a pro athlete, and you simply don't respond. Period.

Absolutely idiotic from Rypien, who is usually a very level-headed guy for an enforcer-type. Very disappointed.

He also puts the team in a rough situation, as with Bolduc injured he was the only guy who could play as the 4th line center.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:43 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Maybe because of the fact he was barely in the NHL as it is, but not because of this. Mike Millbury bludgeoned a man with his own shoe FFS.
We are not talking about Millbury, we are talking about Rypien...

In ether case, going after a fan should be instant banishment from the major league of your sport. At least in your own system the organization in question wants to save face.

To indulge you with you bad attempt at pulling a dodge and being a smart ass at the same time. The Millbury incident was far worse. Yet IMO the exact same punishment should have been handed for both incidents, their NHL careers should be over. And if the league won't hand down a ban, hopefully a 10+ suspension is given, then at least the team holding contract with the player should be done with the player to save face. If no one grabs them in that case, banished to the AHL or another league if they are lucky enough to get grabbed on loan.

Simple as that.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote