Disclaimer: Roloson is a good goaltender but he's 41 he wont be playing in 3 years.
There is hardly any guarantee that Roloson won't be playing in 3 years. He is still very solid at age 41, and he isn't exactly looking like he is about to break down anytime soon. If DiPietro remains healthy (that seems even less likely than Roloson playing at age 44), the Isles could very well have 2 good goalies on their hands (think top 20 in the league).
Furthermore, the Isles already have a couple of solid goalie prospects (Koskinen, Poulin, Nilsson) waiting in the wings, although, admittedly, none of them are guaranteed any NHL succes.
Like all teams that suck for a number of years in a row, they'll be competitors soon.
Haha.. Ridiculous how that works eh? Tank for 3 years, grab 3 top prospects, along with whoever else you pick up along the way from trading players for picks and good drafting after the 1st round. Suddenly 5 years later, you're back in the playoffs! Haha..
NYI's core should be good enough... I peg em as atleast an outside contender in 5 years.
I think we have a pretty good idea of the following:
1) The top three centers will probably be Tavares and Bailey, Nielsen
2) On the wings will be Okposo, Comeau, Niederetter. We don't know if any of them will be 1st/2nd/3rd line players.
We hope that:
1) Petrov and Kabanov will be scoring line wingers
2) De Haan and Hamonic are 1st pairing dmen
3) MacDonald and Hillen are solid 2nd/3rd pairing dmen
4) DP comes back and is an all-star goalie again.
Realistically I think we will see one but not both of Petrov/Kabanov make it, Okposo/Niederetter/Comeau will give the Isles one first and two second line wingers, the Isles will need to bring in a legit #1 dman but have solid depth throughout the lineup.