HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov to sign 5-6 year extension DUN DUN DUNNNN

Old
10-19-2010, 09:19 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
If he signs before Jan 1 it hits this years cap

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:27 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Why would his cap hit next year be applied to the cap this year?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
At first I was like

But then I saw Tony Marinaro and I

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Reasonable?..

I think it would be a great deal, not just reasonable. When you have guys like Chara around 7M, having Markov close to 2M less than what other top Dman make would be amazing.
If you analyze the extensions guys like Chara and Thornton you see they didnt get a raise. The precedent has been set.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
No...Extensions are seperate contracts and cap hits. A player on a one year deal can only get an extension after jan 1st, a player on multi year deal can get one after july 1st entering on last year of his deal. I think that's where you got the jan 1st from, and maybe you got confused?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Just curious, what other **** had he thrown at the wall prior to the Latendresse thing?
Wasn't it Malkin for the entire 05-06 Habs roster?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:40 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Just curious, what other **** had he thrown at the wall prior to the Latendresse thing?
The Habs have pulled Sheldon Souray out of practice and traded him the Sharks was a personal favorite.

Marinaro just runs with whatever rumor's hot at the time (e.g. "my sources tell me the Habs are VERY CLOSE to landing Lecavalier/Hossa/Briere/etc" ad nauseum every trade deadline/July 1st). Everything he says is designed to get more people to tune into his show. I'm convinced he's no more connected than half the people on HFBoards are.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:45 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Wasn't it Malkin for the entire 05-06 Habs roster?
That was PJ Stock... It was just a rumor he made up to mess with us.

Anyways, all I'm saying is that people should give credit to Tony. I know many people find him annoying but still, give credit where credit is due. He has had quite a few scoops in the past and yes, some of them were completely wrong, but most of them were true.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
That was PJ Stock... It was just a rumor he made up to mess with us.

Anyways, all I'm saying is that people should give credit to Tony. I know many people find him annoying but still, give credit where credit is due. He has had quite a few scoops in the past and yes, some of them were completely wrong, but most of them were true.
Oh I definitely agree. He's a credible Eklund, if that even exists.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:48 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
No...Extensions are seperate contracts and cap hits. A player on a one year deal can only get an extension after jan 1st, a player on multi year deal can get one after july 1st entering on last year of his deal. I think that's where you got the jan 1st from, and maybe you got confused?
bah
i was reading around earlier today, and I heard about the Jan 1st thing saying if he signs a new contract before then the team gets hit.

disregard my comments then

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If you analyze the extensions guys like Chara and Thornton you see they didnt get a raise. The precedent has been set.
They didn't get a raise because they were at or above(Chara) market value, Markov is about 1 mil below market value, so unless his agent is an idiot, he
ll get a 750-1 mil raise on his next contract, possibly 1.5 mil if he reaches UFA status.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:13 AM
neofury*

Imagine he signs for the biggest hometown discount you've ever seen? That's the type of deal cups are built around.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
They didn't get a raise because they were at or above(Chara) market value, Markov is about 1 mil below market value, so unless his agent is an idiot, he
ll get a 750-1 mil raise on his next contract, possibly 1.5 mil if he reaches UFA status.
And unless Gauthier is an idiot, he's going to use the fact that Markov has been on/off injured during key periods as a way to lower it back down.

It's the same thing really, both sides have their tools.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
And unless Gauthier is an idiot, he's going to use the fact that Markov has been on/off injured during key periods as a way to lower it back down.

It's the same thing really, both sides have their tools.
Yes, but I'd rather have Markov signed at 6-6.25 cap hit at midseason than risk losing him to UFA.

If Gauthier uses the injury thing too much, Markov's agent will say that they want to wait till June to show he'll be healthy over a full season. The closer July 1st comes, the more money they'll want.

If I'm Gauthier I wait until Markov has a month under his belt to show the knee is back to full strength or close to it and there are no lingering issues...then I start at 5 years 30 mil(7, 7, 7, 5, 4) and go as high as 32 mil. 5 years is a reasonable term, Markov's skills are still top flight and Subban's emergeance should take some heat off him.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:14 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

This rumor doesn't make sense for the simple reason Markov hasn't been on the ice that much in the past year or so. I thought his agent even stated the two sides won't have meaningful conversations until his post injury performance can be evaluated.

Although true it's not a revelation that the two sides will seek a long term deal if all goes well with Markov's health and performance.

One thing I'd be looking for is how he handles the puck when he's about to be hit. He's had three injuries in the last year that have resulted from checks.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

I hope this is just a rumour..... Markov is starting to fall apart and they dont need that type of contract hanging around their necks.....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
I hope this is just a rumour..... Markov is starting to fall apart and they dont need that type of contract hanging around their necks.....
Yeah getting your tendon sliced by a skate is totally falling apart.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
tinyzombies

Should have done this years ago. Without Markov we're not even a playoff team.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

The General better retire a hab.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:26 PM
THE HOFF

can't see him getting a raise... well not a 2m raise like some here predicted... he'll likely sign for the same $/per imho... especially considering his age when that contract will expire... yes time goes by just as fast for andrei markov...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
can't see him getting a raise... well not a 2m raise like some here predicted... he'll likely sign for the same $/per imho... especially considering his age when that contract will expire... yes time goes by just as fast for andrei markov...
Most players that sign at that age, especially on defense, don't usually get less. He's paid below market value right now.

Old
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Yes, but I'd rather have Markov signed at 6-6.25 cap hit at midseason than risk losing him to UFA.

If Gauthier uses the injury thing too much, Markov's agent will say that they want to wait till June to show he'll be healthy over a full season. The closer July 1st comes, the more money they'll want.

If I'm Gauthier I wait until Markov has a month under his belt to show the knee is back to full strength or close to it and there are no lingering issues...then I start at 5 years 30 mil(7, 7, 7, 5, 4) and go as high as 32 mil. 5 years is a reasonable term, Markov's skills are still top flight and Subban's emergeance should take some heat off him.
Those are the same old typical arguments that were given with Plex and other players. And lo and behold, Plex signed for 5 mil, when he could've flirted with 6 mil per on the market.

You seem to live in a world where every single player thinks the same and acts the same.

You also seem to live in a world where long term contracts that bring a player to his 40s won't have the last few years at a lower salary.

Markov will get 6-7 mil per, for a few years, then he'll have 3-5 mil per for a few years, which will bring his cap hit between 5 and 6 mil.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
That's nonsense. His cap hit for this year is fixed by the contract he's already under.

-edit. Already corrected upthread. Never mind.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Most players that sign at that age, especially on defense, don't usually get less. He's paid below market value right now.
Geez you're a stubborn one.

We all know Markov is payed under market value. What you don't seem to understand is that this underpayment started when he signed the contract, not now.

You don't seem to ask yourself, why did Markov take a paycut then?

Because if you want to remain on a team and have the team be competitive, you have to make concessions. Sure if you're a player that doesn't care and is looking for the bucks first, you won't care, you'll think pragmatically towards yourself only. Markov doesn't fit into this category. Just like Plex didn't.

I don't think Markov cares whether he's over or just a bit under his value. I think, from what I've seen in the past, Markov cares about both parties reaching an agreement that will benefit both parties, as he wants to stay here (admited in the past).

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Those are the same old typical arguments that were given with Plex and other players. And lo and behold, Plex signed for 5 mil, when he could've flirted with 6 mil per on the market.

You seem to live in a world where every single player thinks the same and acts the same.

You also seem to live in a world where long term contracts that bring a player to his 40s won't have the last few years at a lower salary.

Markov will get 6-7 mil per, for a few years, then he'll have 3-5 mil per for a few years, which will bring his cap hit between 5 and 6 mil.
The UFA market for a guy like Plekanec would have been around 5.75-6 mil on a 4-6 year deal, he signed for 5 mil as a home town discount. Markov on the UFA market would be in the 6.75-7 mil range assuming he has a good year and has no lasting effects from the surgery. A home town discount for him would be 6-6.25 mil per year over 4-5 years, not 5-5.5 mil...unlress his agent is a moron.

I don't think they will sign Markov to a contract that lasts till he's 40, it's just not their style. Most I can see them going is 5 years...maybe 6 at the absolute most, that brings him to 37 or 28.