HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nik Zherdev

Old
10-20-2010, 09:59 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
There are a few other players that I'd be criticizing before Zherdev at the moment. His 1 goal in 5 games and even +/- is by no means stellar but that makes him look like an all-star compared to some other guys.
Agreed. I don't like the floating I'm seeing from him, and if it continues he's going to get ripped for it, but his stats are just fine in comparison to the rest of the team and the ice time he's getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
Or maybe if certain hard-working Canadians learn how to stay out of the penalty box for more than 3 consequtive minuts, then certain "lazy" players will get a chance to actualy show you what hockey is.
While I don't disagree with the fact that the Flyers have to be more disciplined, I'm pretty confident we've seen what hockey is from the Flyers who are Finns, Canadians, and Americans (I probably missed a couple of nationalities, but whatever).

I don't give a rat's behind what nationality a player is, but if floating around and pulling a couple of ineffective spinoramas is your definition of what hockey is, well, I don't believe we have anything further to discuss.

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 10-20-2010 at 10:05 AM.
CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
pmorris

So it sounds like basically he's the same player he was with the Rangers...

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
McNasty

He looks exactly like the rest of the team does 5 on 5, lost.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:14 AM
04' hockey

the more games I watch him "play", the more I miss Gags

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I'll give him another 5-10 games before throwing him under the bus. Guy does need a fire lit under his ass. He's clearly skilled but if he doesn't put in some harder efforts and sacrifice, he won't last long.
Zherdev and Carter would be great linemates, they each want to do it themselves and they are streaky type scorers. Zherdev will score 2 goals in a 5-1 blowout, and then go MIA for 4 games. Problem is the less minutes Zherdev gets the less motivated he seems to get if history repeats itself.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Or maybe if certain hard-working Canadians learn how to stay out of the penalty box for more than 3 consequtive minuts, then certain "lazy" players will get a chance to actualy show you what hockey is.

Your team is painful to watch right now. Zherdev is the least of your problems.
Zherdev is part of the overriding problem, no one is willing to commit to get to the net and sacrifice. Zherdev is a lazy floater in the past, he supposedly has changed his ways, just waiting to see this reformation.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:27 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
if floating around and pulling a couple of ineffective spinoramas is your definition of what hockey is, well, I don't believe we have anything further to discuss.
Nothing wrong with spinoramas. Sometimes they are effective, sometimes they arn't. Nothing wrong with tough play either, as long as it doesn't result in half a game on the penalty kill. All I am saying he needs some time to adjust, and the way the team is playing right now is not helping him. Just factor this in when you decide for how more games you want to tolerate his "ineffectivness".

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Zherdev is part of the overriding problem, no one is willing to commit to get to the net and sacrifice. Zherdev is a lazy floater in the past, he supposedly has changed his ways, just waiting to see this reformation.
Well, you saw some examples of this already... Game 4 -- going to the net and score. Game 5 -- getting the stick in his face, so that Brieer could score. Even on +/- (by the way he was one of the best on +/- for rangers, so I think this "no defense" is a little exagurated).

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

One thing you will might want to look up is how many drawn penalties Zherdev has.

I've noticed quite a few. JVR as well. They've both drawn a few penalties so far this season.

Unfortunately we're running some basement level powerplay right now.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:51 AM
McNasty

All the people talking about Gagne should take a look at his stats, he's pointless in 5 games with a -7.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:18 AM
MsWoof

He looks lost out there. Hopefully he figures things out soon.

As for Gagne's stats, I think what happened to him really shook him up. At least people know what he brings to the table and he should straighten himself out soon. Zherdev has only proven that he's an enigma.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:20 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
All the people talking about Gagne should take a look at his stats, he's pointless in 5 games with a -7.
Chemistry is important I guess. This team had it in the playoffs, and right now it doesn't.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:23 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
Chemistry is important I guess. This team had it in the playoffs, and right now it doesn't.
So is a capable blueline which is why the Lightning will not score nearly as many points as people suspect, and why they won't make the playoffs. Gagne is the one who is going to suffer from that disaster of a team. Credit to Yzerman for putting them in the right direction, but people need to not act like they're a playoff team yet.

Old
10-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
One thing you will might want to look up is how many drawn penalties Zherdev has.

I've noticed quite a few. JVR as well. They've both drawn a few penalties so far this season.

Was going to mention this as well in regards to the Spin-O-Rama comments a few posts up b.c i believe on one of the two i can think of that he has tried, he drew a penalty if i'm not mistaken, perhaps on Letang against Pitt?

Regardless I dont think Zerdev is the problem with the team - or his line, the whole team is in a funk and its not like Zerdev is getting boat loads of minutes and doing nothing with them, however there certain members on the team who do fit that bill so far this season. Still early however, and this long layoff between games ( 5 days? ) doesn't help it from a fans perspective, nor for a team that looks to be needing to find an identity and get itself into a groove.

Chicken Chaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
His pirouettes are largely unnecessary, but I do enjoy a nice open ice hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Typical Zherdev period:

Shift 1: Grab the puck and spin
Shift 2: Spin then grab the puck
Shift 3: Spin and then lose the puck
Shift 4: Lose the puck then spin
Shift 5: Spin

Repeat until intermission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
As opposed to most of the reactionary posters on this board, I will reserve judgment for at least a few games.

The same way I didn't go ga-ga when he led the team in preseason scoring, I'm not going to go ape**** after a slow start 5 games in.
Exactly. I'll wait until we're 20 games in to make a judgment on this team, let alone one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If most Russians are lazy skill players who refuse to play defense or get involved in anything other than flash and dash, well maybe so.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He looks lost out there. Hopefully he figures things out soon.

As for Gagne's stats, I think what happened to him really shook him up. At least people know what he brings to the table and he should straighten himself out soon. Zherdev has only proven that he's an enigma.
I know Gagne didn't suffer the same injuries as Mikael Renberg before being traded, but Renberg looked like a lost soul when he was traded to TB too. Granted, Gagne's teammates are much more talented than the crew Renberg joined in 1997, but it must have stung to be asked to be traded (twice) and maybe now the reality is settling in.

Old
10-20-2010, 11:51 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I know Gagne didn't suffer the same injuries as Mikael Renberg before being traded, but Renberg looked like a lost soul when he was traded to TB too. Granted, Gagne's teammates are much more talented than the crew Renberg joined in 1997, but it must have stung to be asked to be traded (twice) and maybe now the reality is settling in.
How dare you question the talent level of a team that had Paul Ysebaert as their leading scorer!

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
How dare you question the talent level of a team that had Paul Ysebaert as their leading scorer!
I think you just blew my mind.

Old
10-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

Old
10-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Garbage Goal

I haven't given up on him. He just isn't inspiring any confidence so far.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Well, you saw some examples of this already... Game 4 -- going to the net and score. Game 5 -- getting the stick in his face, so that Brieer could score. Even on +/- (by the way he was one of the best on +/- for rangers, so I think this "no defense" is a little exagurated).
It is a weird stat for Zherdev. I looked back on his season with the Rangers game by game, he had a history of having games where he either did not score or get scored on while he was on the ice, but then he also had games where he had 2 goals but was either a minus or even. Zherdev is a great skilled player, but his ability to just take shifts off at times if beyond frustrating, it is bewildering.

Old
10-20-2010, 01:18 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I never liked him to start, I wasnt happy he signed here but im letting him play, and hoping he can breakout and have a solid year for us

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:29 PM
BernieParent

Zherdev is just being cautious to avoid coming down with inflammatory holmgrenitis of the hip.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

JVR and Zherdev have both drawn 3 and taken 1. Briere has drawn 4 and taken 0.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Zherdev is just being cautious to avoid coming down with inflammatory holmgrenitis of the hip.
Very good point, and a legitimate fear from Zherdev's point of view.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote