HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Rypien Incident(UPD: Suspended 6 Games, Post # 508)

Old
10-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Pascha

vCash: 500
Engaging the fan, fine, 8-10 games... but no more than that. There were no punches thrown.

I also have to echo the sentiments around Henrik's actions (or non-actions) afterwards - he looked back and didn't even bother to grab Rypien and lead him away... hardly a captain-like move IMO

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:15 AM
NCPokey

What an idiot. Should get at least 10-15 games and he'll deserve it.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:27 AM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
10 games for the fan, 1 for the sucker punch.

Might not be anything for the punch though, Rypien doesn't really have a history of anything and stuff like that happens all the time. There's a reason he only got an extra 2 minutes for it on the ice.

I just can't believe the outrage from fans, especially Vancouver fans. Stuff like that has happened in junior games all the time, even stuff with other NHLers has happened. People crying that they want Rypien off the team or out of the league and all of that type of stuff... hilarious. At least he showed some emotion while the team was getting beaten on, unlike most of the team who just did nothing and accepted defeat. It was obviously a dumb move by Rypien but I've seen 50 incidents worse than that either playing hockey or watching hockey. People are such p*ssies these days.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:29 AM
PGHSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
As a center, he's mediocre but serviceable if needed. Agree with your comments on his defensive play there.

As a winger, his defensive play is not an issue.

Give me a break.

What he did was unacceptable and will be a good-sized suspension, but he didn't hurt the fan and it was mostly a non-event. He grabbed the guy's shirt for about 2 seconds.

People are acting like started punching the guy or did a Cantona drop-kick or something. *That* would be a season-long suspension. This was a momentary loss of composure that was diffused before any harm was done.

Again, obvious suspension, but it won't be some sort of stupid 20+ game job. I'd put the over/under at about 10.

Of course every time anything happens in this league now, the drama queens are out en masse demanding ridiculous suspensions.

_________

As an aside, the level of security there behind the visiting bench is ridiculous. There's no way the fans should be able to get that close to the visiting players or vice versa. There should be a nice, high plate of glass in that area next to the corridor, and things like this would never happen.
Non-event? What the guy did is a huge black eye for the sport, grabbing a fan is a no-no, I don't care who you are.. You do realize if you did this you could face charges.. No touching others..

He will sit for quit sometime..

PGHSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Pascha

You're acting like he went into the stands and started pummeling the guy. 8-10 games.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
Engaging the fan, fine, 8-10 games... but no more than that. There were no punches thrown.

I also have to echo the sentiments around Henrik's actions (or non-actions) afterwards - he looked back and didn't even bother to grab Rypien and lead him away... hardly a captain-like move IMO
Are you insane? Henrik is supposed to put his arm around Rypien's shoulder and coddle him back to the dressing room to be considered a good captain? He's the captain of the team, not Rypien's therapist, or his AA buddy, or his personal attendant. Rypien's actions are his own fault and giving Henrik grief because he didn't jump into a stupid situation is stupid in itself.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:47 AM
The Big Foot

What are the roster and salary cap implications here? He still takes up a spot if he's suspended right?

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Pascha

I disagree - a captain is supposed to be a leader and I would expect the captain to be there calming him down and getting his obviously upset teammate out of danger. Instead, he turns around from the situation and skates out onto the ice.

Rypien's actions are surely his own fault, never said they weren't. I just question why our Captain felt it was more important to do circles around the blue line while Manny Malhotra was in the middle of the fray breaking it up.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:50 AM
STARMAXX
Shi Shi Shawww

If Tie Domi can start pummeling a fan in the penalty box and only get a small fine, Rypien shouldn't even be suspended.

I think he probably will but 10-15 games??? come on.....he grabbed the fan and let go.....no harm done. I expect 5 or less games.

The fan Domi punched was cut open and bleeding. The fan Rypien grabbed only had a fun story to tell his friends and probably free tickets for the season.

I don't approve of this at all and if the NHL doesn't suspend him the team should just to send a message that you can't do things like that when representing our team and fans.

STARMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
I disagree - a captain is supposed to be a leader and I would expect the captain to be there calming him down and getting his obviously upset teammate out of danger. Instead, he turns around from the situation and skates out onto the ice.

Rypien's actions are surely his own fault, never said they weren't. I just question why our Captain felt it was more important to do circles around the blue line while Manny Malhotra was in the middle of the fray breaking it up.
Maybe I'm a ****** teammate but if someone goes off full ****** AFTER i had already tried to talk him down, he's on his own. It's not like Henrik could have stopped the incident. Plus, why is Henrik getting all the flak? AV was talking to the ref that Rypien had a death grip on, why was he not trying to cool Rypien off? He's the coach, you'd think one word from AV should settle him down.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Alan Jackson

He's clearly going to be suspended, and he should be. What he did has been perhaps overblown a little, but it's still unacceptable, under any circumstance.

I'll say 5 games. I'd be shocked if it's less than 4, and I don't think there's any way it will be more than 8. We'll see. You never know what the NHL might do. The sucker-puch Rypien threw whilst being held by linesman might play a factor, too.

The good news is that the Canucks play tonight, which means we'll likely get word on a suspension this morning at some point.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Pascha

I'm not giving him all the flak - Rypien dug his own hole with his actions. But I do think that Henrik should be prioritising helping a teammate over doing circles around the blue line.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
I'm not giving him all the flak - Rypien dug his own hole with his actions. But I do think that Henrik should be prioritising helping a teammate over doing circles around the blue line.
Helping him do what? Rypien shoved Henrik away and leapt at the fan. If I'm Henrik I leave that alone. What good is going to come of getting involved in that? Rypien is a bad teammate for putting his team in this position. He doesn't need help from Henrik, he needs help from an anger management councillor.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
oyvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Rypien has already been shown some special treatment by the team. He'll get it again.
Trufax. AV with forgive and forget, anyways. Gillis might not.

oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Reign Nateo

First of all he should be suspended. 10-15 games make sense. It was stupid. But here's my issues with it.

1. Refs should have let Rypien fight. That's why there's fighting in hockey. If they wouldn't have jumped in and held everyone back right away the whole situation would have been diffused and the fan thing never would have happened.

2. Rypien is a headcase. But he's been molded into that by his coaches throughout his career. Just the type of player that is loved a few years down the line. See: Odjick, Gino and Williams, Tiger. You should not touch the fans for any reason. Which brings me to my next point, the fan.

3. He was obviously yapping at Rypien, he was leaning towards him clapping as Rypien came off the ice. Commonplace in pro arenas nowadays. The concensus is, you just can't react to abusive fans, but;

My question is this (And this is not necissarily concerning the Rypien deal): Is it right that because a fan paid money to get into the place that he should be free to say and do whatever he likes to the athletes with no fear of retribution? I'm not so sure. Do you go to a play and heckle the actors and throw gum or beer at them? If you did how would they react? Do you do it at the circus? An Olympic event? A political debate? Probably not, and if you did you would be moved along pretty swiftly.

We're seeing it more and more. That Texas Rangers pitcher threw a chair at a fan that crossed-the-line, NBA players just fight them. I'm not saying it's right at all, I'm just interested in the question. Should these guys just have to sit back and take it? As a fan I choose to be as respectful as possible to the athletes, and most people do, but at any sporting event there are some drunk guys yelling out a bunch of crap. So because these guys paid good money to get into the place they should be able to do whatever they want?

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
First of all he should be suspended. 10-15 games make sense. It was stupid. But here's my issues with it.

1. Refs should have let Rypien fight. That's why there's fighting in hockey. If they wouldn't have jumped in and held everyone back right away the whole situation would have been diffused and the fan thing never would have happened.

2. Rypien is a headcase. But he's been molded into that by his coaches throughout his career. Just the type of player that is loved a few years down the line. See: Odjick, Gino and Williams, Tiger. You should not touch the fans for any reason. Which brings me to my next point, the fan.

3. He was obviously yapping at Rypien, he was leaning towards him clapping as Rypien came off the ice. Commonplace in pro arenas nowadays. The concensus is, you just can't react to abusive fans, but;

My question is this (And this is not necissarily concerning the Rypien deal): Is it right that because a fan paid money to get into the place that he should be free to say and do whatever he likes to the athletes with no fear of retribution? I'm not so sure. Do you go to a play and heckle the actors and throw gum or beer at them? If you did how would they react? Do you do it at the circus? An Olympic event? A political debate? Probably not, and if you did you would be moved along pretty swiftly.

We're seeing it more and more. That Texas Rangers pitcher threw a chair at a fan that crossed-the-line, NBA players just fight them. I'm not saying it's right at all, I'm just interested in the question. Should these guys just have to sit back and take it? As a fan I choose to be as respectful as possible to the athletes, and most people do, but at any sporting event there are some drunk guys yelling out a bunch of crap. So because these guys paid good money to get into the place they should be able to do whatever they want?
Totally agree...just because you paid money to be at the game doesn't mean you get to play in it. And it shouldn't mean you get to become a jackass at a public event.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
brangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
What are the roster and salary cap implications here? He still takes up a spot if he's suspended right?
I was wondering about that this morning as well. I think that he still takes up a spot & his salary counts against the cap but I am not sure. Wasn't one of the problems that NJ had earlier this year when they fielded below the "minimum" number of players that one of their guys was suspended?

If Rypien takes up a spot & his salary continues to count then he has really hurt the team as they won't really have the ability to replace him.

brangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

First off, with respect to Rypien; I think it will be a suspension somewhere around 10 games. You don't touch fans, and when you compound it with him being less than gentle with the officials, it'll be stiff punishment from the league. Regardless of what Rypien's side is, that is a no-no.

Secondly, to the idea that Rypien is done with either the Canucks or the NHL, I think that is extremely unrealistic. Rypien is a solid 4th line player with no history of suspensions or antics even approaching this level of psychosis. He is not "done" by any stretch and will return to the team which will welcome him back after his suspension.

Thirdly, with regards to Henrik's actions. I don't know where he skated off to(my first thought was to talk to the officials), and it is a little bit peculiar he didn't try to intervene. But at the same time, perhaps it is best to avoid getting mixed up between Rypien and a fan at a game and looking like you were somehow implicit in what Ryp decided to do?

Just my thoughts at rationalizing.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post

Says the fan who's club encourages the green men to taunt the opposition at home games. Honestly, it's nice to see some mature discussion here, but a portion of the Vancouver fan-base continue to embarrass themselves.

Fans pay to go to sporting events to cheer for their team. That includes booing your own team sometimes, and it also includes taunting the opposition. Fans cannot engage the players, that's wrong. But the pros need to suck up anything verbal assaults the fans dish at them. It's a long tradition in North American sports culture, and I'm sure over his career Rypien has already heard it all.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Proto

vCash: 833
My thoughts: I wish it was Desbiens that did it.

In the meantime, maybe a 76 game suspension to him and a 76 game suspension to Desbiens for playing on the same line as Rypien, followed by a league mandate that Alain Vigneault play someone with talent on the 4th line.

That would show 'em!

I predict ten games. If he'd thrown a blindside elbow to the fan it would have only been four.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:

Check the whole sequence, from where Rypien gets off ice. Henrik does exactly what you want him to do.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
NCPokey

I would happily ignore whatever any idiot fans wanted to yell at me in exchange for Rypien's $575,000 per year, let alone the multi-millions that other players make. The expectations for professional athletes to handle abuse are clearly much higher than your average person because it's part of the sports experience. Teams want their fans to be engaged in the game and part of that is going to be riding the opposition players. Clearly, racial slurs or death threats or things like that are unacceptable, and you want to keep a bit of a limit on swearing if there are kids around, but beyond that, all bets are off IMO.

At the end of the day, they need to have some perspective. Sure, some loser calls you a bum and all sorts of nasty names at the game and tries to get under your skin. Regardless, once the game is over, they go back to their job pumping gas and you go back to living the high life as a professional athlete. Players need to have a thicker skin about these sorts of things.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Pascha

Yeah, I saw that. I also saw him turn around and watch Rypien go after the fan, and then skate onto the ice. <shrug> Maybe Mr. Canucklehead was right and he was going to talk to the referee... it just seemed really un-captainlike to me.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:54 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Are you insane? Henrik is supposed to put his arm around Rypien's shoulder and coddle him back to the dressing room to be considered a good captain? He's the captain of the team, not Rypien's therapist, or his AA buddy, or his personal attendant. Rypien's actions are his own fault and giving Henrik grief because he didn't jump into a stupid situation is stupid in itself.
Yea no kidding. Anything to criticize the Euro captain, right?
Henrik's job isn't to babysit his team, it's to lead by example on the ice and off of it.

If Henrik grabbed that fan, THEN it would have been bad leadership. Because he stood there and didn't want to get involved in a messy altercation doesn't make him a bad leader.

KDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:55 AM
m9
HFBoards Sponsor

Just because Henrik's the captain doesn't make him the go-to guy to be breaking up all altercations.

I know people want to think that it will be the guy with the C or the A who will calm the guy down, but it's not. Generally, it will be someone whose closest to the person who is also in some sort of leadership role that will do it. Maybe that is Henrik, maybe it's someone like Kesler, maybe it's someone like Bieksa.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote