HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van-TB

Old
10-19-2010, 01:20 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
Length of the contract my friend, Lou for 12 more years until he's 43? Can he contain his consistency? He's going to decline eventually.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the cap hit still count against the team when a player is over 35?

Refer to my question above.

Based on last season alone it could very well end up a bad contract, I'll see if he can turn it around this season.

You bringing up an Oilers goalie, I'm not going to deny that this isn't a bad contract, but it won't affect the team in the long term salary cap wise. If you're saying Bulin is a bad goalie, he's had better stats so far this season and the last time he played a full season they were equal. (08-09)
no... that only happens if the player is over 35 when they sign the contract. Therefore your entire argument about Luongo is flawed, since they can waive him when his play declines and he's no longer worth the money, and won't be a guaranteed cap hit (unlike Khabibulin).

This is why the 12 yr term isn't a problem... it would be if he signed his contract after 35, but he didn't... or it could be if he had a NMC, and couldn't be waived, but again he doesn't... or it could be if ownership couldn't afford his salary in the minors the last few years of his contact, but again, that's not a problem.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
no... that only happens if the player is over 35 when they sign the contract. Therefore your entire argument about Luongo is flawed, since they can waive him when his play declines and he's no longer worth the money, and won't be a guaranteed cap hit (unlike Khabibulin).

This is why the 12 yr term isn't a problem... it would be if he signed his contract after 35, but he didn't... or it could be if he had a NMC, and couldn't be waived, but again he doesn't... or it could be if ownership couldn't afford his salary in the minors the last few years of his contact, but again, that's not a problem.
I see thanks for pointing this out.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
No thanks, Vancouver is already deep at the centre position with Hank, Kesler, Malhotra and Rypien and also have Hodgson and Schroeder in the system. Luongo has much higher value to the Canucks.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 07:40 PM
chasespace

Counter offer:

To Vancouver: Vincent Lecavalier

To Tampa: Sedin twins

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
doesn't matter... the Canucks couldn't afford his contract. And it makes little sense to add a $7.7mill player only to play him out of position... the Canucks current highest cap hits are the Sedins at $6.1mill... adding Lecavalier would throw the salary structure out of wack... and it's just not worth it for a player that doesn't address a need, and where you'd have to move him, or another high salary player out of their natural position just to fit.

As long as Sedin is in Vancouver, Lecavalier is just a bad fit on this team.
I don't want the Canucks to afford his contract, we have no interest in trading vinny. Somebody said that they wouldn't deal for him because he is a center, so I'm pointing out that lecavalier would play wing without a hitch.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Peter Griffin

If the Canucks are ever to trade Luongo, they would be better served to trade him for a defenseman.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:22 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If the Canucks are ever to trade Luongo, they would be better served to trade him for a defenseman.
That's debatable, because with the additions of the offseason, and the ability to sign a cheap vet this offseason coming out and Ehrhoffs re-signing the D corps has been made a Core.
I'd personally like a solid Second line player to play with Kesler n Raymond, a decent D prospect, and some cap relief long term. Like 2 million.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Megablockbuster tiem nao gogogogo:

To VAN:

Ellis
Vinny
MSL
Obligatory 2nd

to TBL:

Luuuuuuuu
Kesler
Samuelsson
Bieksa

Gagne - Stamkos - Downie
Malone - Kesler - Samuelsson

Luuuu
Smith

vs

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Lecavalier - St. Louis

Schneider
Ellis

Sorry, had to try to make the thread premise make sense just for lulz.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:48 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post

To VAN:

Ellis
Vinny
MSL
Obligatory 2nd

to TBL:

Luuuuuuuu
Kesler
Samuelsson
Bieksa

Gagne - Stamkos - Downie

Luuuu
Smith

vs

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Schneider
Ellis

As a canucks fan, I'll do that deal.

The top 6 is much stronger, both lecavalier/st.louis are top line forwards and have shown the ability to produce in the playoffs.

Canucks save some cap, and can still add on the blueline. Schneider is a pure gamble, but unless luongo regains his 07 form, the upgrade in offense is immense.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:51 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
As a canucks fan, I'll do that deal.

The top 6 is much stronger, both lecavalier/st.louis are top line forwards and have shown the ability to produce in the playoffs.

Canucks save some cap, and can still add on the blueline. Schneider is a pure gamble, but unless luongo regains his 07 form, the upgrade in offense is immense.
I -almost- think it actually works, though only in the most fantasy sense. That top 6 would be tremendous. As you say, the concern is the gamble at goaltending, but there's always guys you can go out and grab at the deadline, I guess.. Vokoun, Thomas...

In a strictly fantasy sense I also think it works for TB, as they upgrade their defense, have a powerful and young 1-2 punch at center, and get a real #1 goalie. I personally think Stamkos, Kesler, Gagne, Malone, Downie, and Samuelsson is a more than adequate top 6.

I also feel inclined to add that a Sedin - Sedin - St. Louis powerplay trio would be a thing of beauty to watch.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:56 AM
ahmon

Quote:
I -almost- think it actually works, though only in the most fantasy sense. That top 6 would be tremendous. As you say, the concern is the gamble at goaltending, but there's always guys you can go out and grab at the deadline, I guess.. Vokoun, Thomas...

In a strictly fantasy sense I also think it works for TB, as they upgrade their defense, have a powerful and young 1-2 punch at center, and get a real #1 goalie. I personally think Stamkos, Kesler, Gagne, Malone, Downie, and Samuelsson is a more than adequate top 6.

I also feel inclined to add that a Sedin - Sedin - St. Louis powerplay trio would be a thing of beauty to watch.
not really sure about that part, losing bieksa is an addition by subtraction for vancouver.

If tampa likes it even better, but i feel the canucks are a much better team after this trade.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I'd pass too.

Now, I'm as hard on Luongo as anyway; I sent out quite a few "Luongo sucks" text messages throughout yesterdays game. LeCavalier is not the answer tho.. If Luongo was traded I'd likely want a young stud d-man or a good two way forward on a cheap contract coming back. Luongo would essentially be traded for high quality depth, and we'd rely on Schneider to take us the rest of the way.

Now, I don't think that's a good idea and in all reality, there's no way it happens as Lu has a NTC and theres no chance in hell Gillis trades him just after he signs him to a 12 year deal.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:36 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:

To VAN:

Ellis
Vinny
MSL
Obligatory 2nd

to TBL:

Luuuuuuuu
Kesler
Samuelsson
Bieksa

Gagne - Stamkos - Downie

Luuuu
Smith

vs

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Schneider
Ellis

I am by no means trying to chase Luongo out of town, but I would seriously consider that deal. I really like Schneider, and Ellis could provide good support as he learns the ropes... and that top 6 is just amazing.

The craziest thing about this deal is that it actually works out under the cap (the Canucks' at least), though I'd be more concerned with longer term ramifications.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote