HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your thoughts on Fred "the fog" Shero

View Poll Results: When regards to Fred Shero's enigmatic and introverted personality.......
That was the real Fred Shero 19 73.08%
It was an act.....part of his coaching style 7 26.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-16-2010, 02:55 PM
zamboni88

vCash: 500
Your thoughts on Fred "the fog" Shero

zamboni88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:03 PM
PF

All I know is the man deserves to be in the Hall.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:23 PM
04' hockey

Pretty sure that was him.....many of his players had often said "never met the man", and they were playing for him ??

Whatever the case, it worked, the Flyers hardly took nites off when he coached.....
hey, adds to the mystery.

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:33 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
Shero was a walking conundrum.

Yes he distanced himself intentionally from his players and he once famously said ""Athletes don't like to think. You use distractions and surprise to hold their interest." That was the reason behind his riddles. He confused but with a purpose, to create harmony and utilize the individuals creativity as a whole.

There have been many quotes attributed to him through the years but prior to Game 7 against the Islanders in 1975, he was asked if he was feeling stressed. His answer was typical Shero "The only people in the world not under stress are dead people and we aren't dead." Perfect!

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post
All I know is the man deserves to be in the Hall.
And the people who want Pat Burns in before he dies...if Shero isn't in, Burns doesn't get in either.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

He was the man.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 04:23 PM
SgtJoseph

Fred was an excellent hockey coach, he was a student of the game that traveled over to Europe, Russia etc learning new training methods etc which he applied to his teams.Dave Shultz was a 20 goal scorer under the fogs coaching which is pretty remarkable.He worked his players hard and they respected him a lot even though they did not socialize with him or know him all that well off the ice.....He was the FOG, and that mystique was probably what made the players play hard for him in some ways.The man won 2 cups, and had Bernie Parent not got injured they may have won 3 in a row ? All of the games against Montreal were very close games, and typically Bernie wins them type games more than he loses.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

"Win Together Today, And Walk Together Forever"

Greatest sports quote in history

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Truly one of the greatest quotes ever.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Certainly one of them, I agree.

I voted an act... but IMO it is a bit of both. It was an act in that he manipulated the perception of him into what was best for accomplishing his goals, IMO. By acting the way he did he at times drew the attention away from the players, when he thought it was necessary, and he kept the opposition -- and at times his own side -- confused as to what his plan was. He made it at times seem like he was 'in a fog' and away from it all... but I believe he had a reason for everything he did. At times changed fields and adjusted in the midst of it all, and he didn't feel that he had to tell everyone exactly what he was doing... He seemed to find it best to at times be cryptic.

As for his place in the HHoF; aside from taking an expansion team to multiple Cups after a mere seven years in exist, IIRC, and going to the Finals a third year... as well as beating the Soviet Red Army Team soundly when they were perceived to be well ahead of the West... the innovations that he brought to the NHL was enough to have him selected. Freddy thumbed his nose at the good old boy mentality and walked to his own drummer... he was the first to hire full assistant coaches and bring the use of film into the preparation and improvement of the team I believe... He used psychology in his handling of the players and in their play against teams that were intimidated by the team he assembled and taught... He show confidence in such players as Schultz and Kelly, and while a firm believer in a well disciplined team he at times allowed his players to be themselves and veer from that... Bob Kelly was perfect example where he looked the other way as The Hound set the needed tone... And the Fog was not adverse to place the Hammer beside Clarke in the OT of a key playoff game -- GWG by #8 BTW vs Atlanta IIRC -- IMO Shero greatly changed the face of NHL coaching, and for that reason alone he deserves a place in the Hall... his NHL on ice accomplishments were merely icing on the cake.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
If it was the real Shero, he was the perfect guy for the job.

If it was an act...it was the perfect way to coach.

Never hear many of his stories from the Rangers though (the lack of Cups may have something to do with that).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ The person who said "I never met him..." was Mel Bridgman though others issued similar sentiments.

Shero didn't leave the Flyers on the best of terms (compensation draft pick resulted in Ken Linseman) but he certainly ended his physical time on Earth wrapped in the arms of Flyers' management through assisting in payment of his medical bills and how individuals like Ed Snider and Clarke came to his family aid.

He only coached in New York for two full seasons and took them to the Finals in his first. Both times, the Rangers and Flyers met.

Shero was a brilliant mind, and anyone saying to the contrary is unfamiliar with his keen personality and ability to masquerade the real man. When his team(s) did win, he was the reluctant man limiting his accomplishments and elevating what players achieved.

Shero, oftentimes, would suggest books to players based on their personalities even though he was sometimes unfamiliar with the people but he utilized his assistant Mike Nykoluk as a mediator of sorts. Some laughed, saying hockey players don't read but Shero would fit the interests. Books on topics such as psychic powers weren't out of the ordinary.

What Shero lacked sometimes was highlighted and names escaped him. A story in New York, for example, was that he once wanted to talk to Dave Maloney after a practice, forgot his name, and then said "Send the Captain to see me."

What Shero wanted in Philly, over time, was a part of the decision-making process, player acquisition, etc., which caught some by surprise because the feeling was he wanted to coach and only coach. One story (when with NY) is illuminated in that he supposedly thought he was acquiring Colin Campbell in a trade but mistakenly received Cam Connor and at the first practice was told by Connor "I don’t play defense. I’m a right wing."

After the Miracle on Ice, the Rangers slumped early the following season and after protracted negotiations, in came Herb Brooks. Shero's coaching career in the NHL ended.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-17-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old
10-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Bill_Meltzer

The "Fog" persona was in equal parts an act and a reflection of his real personality. BTW, my next book is going to be a Fred Shero biography. Still a ways off, but something I really want to do.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:17 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Funny that Shero and Howe will never make it in because the writers or whoever have decided that they "sinned" even though they didn't. Shero's crime was responding to thuggery by raising the level (remember that PO series where the Blues basically kicked us off the ice in 72 or 73) and Howe's is playing in the WHA.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

One thing I failed to mention in my post was that Shero was always eager to learn from his opponents as well as other hockey worlds... IIRC, Freddy researched and learned how the Soviets played, to better learn how to adapt and improve his own system. That is not to say that he mirrored the Russians in any way, but I believe he learned the training and other aspects as well as their system to better his.

And as good as the offense was, he stressed defense... and playing the Flyers was once described as like playing in a phone booth -- I love that line -- He often stated the obvious in a 'deep' fashion... He told them "On the power play... never go offsides" (paraphrased).

There was a drill in practice that he ran them through once that had nothing to do with anything he was teaching them... I will have to dig down deep and remember the story; I hope somebody remembers it because IIRC it was a funny story.

I am so glad that Bill Melzter will be writing that Shero biography... it is long overdo in the Hockey World, IMO, and I know that Bill can do it justice.

EDIT: I just found this in the Flyers Alumni site:

"Practices under Shero could make an outsider shake his head in disbelief. To improve stick handling, tennis balls would replace hockey pucks. To increase leg strength, skaters would push a goalie seated in a folded chair around the ice. Forwards would practice breakaways while being slashed from behind. "Nobody ever lets you score an easy goal in a game," Shero said. "Why practice that way."

I kinda think that the tennis ball part was what I was thinking of -- I was remembering tennis balls as I typed it -- but I believe there was more to the story as I had heard it... I also remember his running a drill and at the end he said to 'forget it'. Damn, I wish I could remember.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 10-17-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Ri hards

Speaking if Fred, I was wondering where I could find a good list of his quotes. I tried googling it and could only come up with three.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
"Practices under Shero could make an outsider shake his head in disbelief. To improve stick handling, tennis balls would replace hockey pucks. To increase leg strength, skaters would push a goalie seated in a folded chair around the ice. Forwards would practice breakaways while being slashed from behind. "Nobody ever lets you score an easy goal in a game," Shero said. "Why practice that way."
These ideas are brilliant and why they're not in use any longer is a mystery. He's absolutely right on the slashes from behind on a breakaway. Why practice with no one bothering you, when that rarely happens in a game situation.

Shero definitely deserves to be in the Hall, but it's going to take a large vocal presence to make it happen.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Cartsiephan*

HOF, motivational genius.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
Speaking if Fred, I was wondering where I could find a good list of his quotes. I tried googling it and could only come up with three.
Quotes attributed to him can be done through research in the usual publications but additional research might be exhaustive. The Flyers History site has a quality synopsis including rules of his coaching philosophy here: http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/hofprof.cgi?007

Old
10-20-2010, 07:39 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Does anyone know how Shero acted as coach of the Rangers? Was he the same or different?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Does anyone know how Shero acted as coach of the Rangers? Was he the same or different?
I posted a couple of examples in #12 but Shero had the dual responsibilities of GM, the main reason he left the Flyers.

He brought the team to the Cup Finals in his first season, so to the victors go the spoils. In his second season, things began to unravel. Shero was known to hit the bottle and what was really striking was that his assistant, Mike Nykoluk, who was with him in Philly, ran some of the practices and to many was the unofficial head coach. Freddy admitted publicly, after that season concluded, that he had a problem with the booze but whether he was in denial or not, tough to say. The Rangers hired Craig Patrick in that off-season to be the Operations/Personnel guy and that was a telling sign because Nykoluk (who quit) was assumed to be the next head coach with Shero maintaining a front office role. Eventually, Herb Brooks was hired a few months later after Shero resigned.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-20-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Sentence structure
Old
10-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Quotes attributed to him can be done through research in the usual publications but additional research might be exhaustive. The Flyers History site has a quality synopsis including rules of his coaching philosophy here: http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/hofprof.cgi?007
Thanks! If should have figured I'd get this info from you MSE!

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
Thanks! If should have figured I'd get this info from you MSE!
If you don't have Gene Hart's book, I recommend it. It looks like used books can be purchased for as low as $2 plus shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Score-Gene-Hart/dp/0929387171