HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov to sign 5-6 year extension DUN DUN DUNNNN

Old
10-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The UFA market for a guy like Plekanec would have been around 5.75-6 mil on a 4-6 year deal, he signed for 5 mil as a home town discount. Markov on the UFA market would be in the 6.75-7 mil range assuming he has a good year and has no lasting effects from the surgery. A home town discount for him would be 6-6.25 mil per year over 4-5 years, not 5-5.5 mil...unlress his agent is a moron.

I don't think they will sign Markov to a contract that lasts till he's 40, it's just not their style. Most I can see them going is 5 years...maybe 6 at the absolute most, that brings him to 37 or 28.
Again, you fail to understand that Markov's present contract was under value when he SIGNED it. Deal with it. No matter the number of times you repeat something won't make it true. He accepted this discount before to stay here. Most here don,t see why he won't accept it again, and this time, since he will probably on his last contract, chances are we can lower the CAP HIT (not his value) with an extention of 1-2 years on what he would normally sign.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 10-20-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: removed flaming
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
The UFA market for a guy like Plekanec would have been around 5.75-6 mil on a 4-6 year deal, he signed for 5 mil as a home town discount. Markov on the UFA market would be in the 6.75-7 mil range assuming he has a good year and has no lasting effects from the surgery. A home town discount for him would be 6-6.25 mil per year over 4-5 years, not 5-5.5 mil...unlress his agent is a moron.

I don't think they will sign Markov to a contract that lasts till he's 40, it's just not their style. Most I can see them going is 5 years...maybe 6 at the absolute most, that brings him to 37 or 28.
Gauthier only had to sign Plekanec to a long term deal. We really don't know if he likes front loaded contracts or not. I'm pretty sure he tried re-signing Price longterm but Price probably had no interest for it.

Markov will be 32 at the end of 2010. I think he will either take a short term deal, or sign his last contract. Wouldn't surprise me if he got a 7year deal.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:48 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Gauthier only had to sign Plekanec to a long term deal. We really don't know if he likes front loaded contracts or not. I'm pretty sure he tried re-signing Price longterm but Price probably had no interest for it.Markov will be 32 at the end of 2010. I think he will either take a short term deal, or sign his last contract. Wouldn't surprise me if he got a 7year deal.
I forget where it came from, but I read that Price wanted 2 years and PG only wanted 1. That is why it took so long. There was no sense in a longterm deal for both sides at this point.

As for Markov, I wouldn't worry too much... It'll probably be a similar contract to the one he already has. People think it will be more, but both Markov and his agent know that his play can only go downhill from here (hopefully he just treads water for the next couple years).

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Again, you fail to understand that Markov's present contract was under value when he SIGNED it. Deal with it. No matter the number of times you repeat something won't make it true. He accepted this discount before to stay here. Most here don,t see why he won't accept it again, and this time, since he will probably on his last contract, chances are we can lower the CAP HIT (not his value) with an extention of 1-2 years on what he would normally sign.
He signed that contract coming off a 49 and 46 point season. The two years after that his totals jumped up to 58 and 64 plus his goals also jumped to 16 and 12. It's in those 2 years that he emerged as a top 10 NHL d-man, not in 06-07 when he signed the 4 year contract.

He went from a very good player to perennial All-Star DURING that contract. Maybe he was slightly underpaid when he signed it, but in 07-08 and 08-09 he was grossly underpaid. Guys that put up around 60 points, log 25+ minutes a night, run one of the top PP's each year and excell at both ends of the rink are worth around 7 mil.

The best comparison is Dan Boyle...http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=116 Though I think the Habs would prefer going 4-5 years. Even with a home town discount the cap hit will surely be in the 6+ mil range.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 10-20-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: edited qp
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I forget where it came from, but I read that Price wanted 2 years and PG only wanted 1. That is why it took so long. There was no sense in a longterm deal for both sides at this point.

As for Markov, I wouldn't worry too much... It'll probably be a similar contract to the one he already has. People think it will be more, but both Markov and his agent know that his play can only go downhill from here (hopefully he just treads water for the next couple years).
Most of the reliable "insiders" Dreger Lebrun Mackenzie taht I recall hearing from said Gauthier was trying for a longer deal but Price's camp wanted short term so he could build his value and get more. Once Gauthier traded halak it made all the sense in the world for him to try and get Price signed for 4-5 years at a bargain now that his value/negotiating power was lower, imagine if we could have signed him for 14 mil 4 years and plays like an all-star for 3 of those 4 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Whoever wrote that, I don't believe it.
There's no reason for Gauthier to want a 1year deal. The only reason you sign players to a 1year deal is either because you know they'll be gone after the year (unless something exceptional happens), or because you don't have much trust in their performance.
If that were the case, then I don't understand why he would opt to stick with Price rather than the one that just proved he could be an absolute monster in the POs. Makes no sense.

I'm convinced Gauthier wanted him signed longterm, at a cheap price. Now, Carey has two years to step up his game and double his salary.

I really doubt PG wanted him locked up for only 1 year.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Tony M, take it with a grain of salt:

http://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/status/27861577239
Uh oh. Looks like we've just been Marinaro-sauced. Again. Love that LeBrun fired back immediately.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
He signed that contract coming off a 49 and 46 point season. The two years after that his totals jumped up to 58 and 64 plus his goals also jumped to 16 and 12. It's in those 2 years that he emerged as a top 10 NHL d-man, not in 06-07 when he signed the 4 year contract.

He went from a very good player to perennial All-Star DURING that contract. Maybe he was slightly underpaid when he signed it, but in 07-08 and 08-09 he was grossly underpaid. Guys that put up around 60 points, log 25+ minutes a night, run one of the top PP's each year and excell at both ends of the rink are worth around 7 mil.

The best comparison is Dan Boyle...http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=116 Though I think the Habs would prefer going 4-5 years. Even with a home town discount the cap hit will surely be in the 6+ mil range.
You do understand that 46 points in 67 games is about the same average as 58 in 82, right (0,69 PPG vs 0,70 PPG)? That season, the Habs had a ,690 record with Markov in the lineup, and close to ,300 when he was out of the lineup. His reputation was made that season. If he would hit the market the year after, most people agreed that he'd get between 6 and 7 mil. It's ridiculous that you would lower yourself to using this argument of stats when the PPG are the same, without even taking into account the context of that 05-06 season, which was IMO Markov's breakout season. In the last few years, all he has done better than that season is 0,05 PPG. That's one point more every 20 games....

Keep arguing for nothing, you're a waste of time.

At the time of the signing, some people were saying the Caps were ready to give Markov 7 mil if he hit the market. Stop kidding yourself, Markov signed at discount 4 years ago. He was already playing 25 minutes and at ,70 PPG clip.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:20 PM
habsjunkie2*

No one knows what he will sign, for how long or how much. To pretend to know the answers is silly. He might give a discount. He might not. I love all the insiders here who know the thought process of Andrei Markov.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:59 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
No one knows what he will sign, for how long or how much. To pretend to know the answers is silly. He might give a discount. He might not. I love all the insiders here who know the thought process of Andrei Markov.
It's called speculating. It's the same as making a wish list for UFA's in the summer. This place would be very boring if that kind of discussion didn't occur.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:10 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
It's called speculating. It's the same as making a wish list for UFA's in the summer. This place would be very boring if that kind of discussion didn't occur.
Speculating is fine and I agree it would get pretty boring around here, but some people speak as though their opinion is fact.

No one knows what he will do. If we miss the playoffs maybe he won't re-sign here at all.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
baldrick

So how many games can we expect from him in that time?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:07 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
So how many games can we expect from him in that time?
I guess it depends on whether he's accidentally struck by a skate again?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
sampollock

keep it under 5.5 a year

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote