HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Nik Zherdev

Old
10-20-2010, 01:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
JVR and Zherdev have both drawn 3 and taken 1. Briere has drawn 4 and taken 0.
Didn't notice Briere drawing so many.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:54 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
It is a weird stat for Zherdev. I looked back on his season with the Rangers game by game, he had a history of having games where he either did not score or get scored on while he was on the ice, but then he also had games where he had 2 goals but was either a minus or even. Zherdev is a great skilled player, but his ability to just take shifts off at times if beyond frustrating, it is bewildering.
If you go on analyzing his stats for his rangers year, you will see that in first 41 games he was on pace to something like 26G + 44A = 70P, while playing about 17 min per game. At that point, according to people watching games at MSG, his play was not soft at all, and he was working hard most of the shifts. The second part of the season was a different story. First, because of the coaching situation, the whole team game fell apart. Second, after Tortorella came, they didn't click. Typically, Torts would punish Z for something, Z would get upset, and stop playing for a few games. Then he would pick up, but do something wrong, Torts would punish him, Z would get upset, etc.

My take on it -- the biggest problem with Z is his confidence level. I suspect it always was, but when he was younger he would try to hide it under the mask of arrogance. Definitely not anymore.

Also, the situation around him does affect him a lot. As the team finds its game, so should Zherdev. At that point, I am not sure how tough he will be, but his spinoramas will become more effective. As for now, to label him uneffective is unfair. The whole team is scoring less than a goal per game while 5 on 5. So he is much above average. And he is drawing penalties. And he is playing 12 mins per game.

vera1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:11 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
If you go on analyzing his stats for his rangers year, you will see that in first 41 games he was on pace to something like 26G + 44A = 70P, while playing about 17 min per game. At that point, according to people watching games at MSG, his play was not soft at all, and he was working hard most of the shifts. The second part of the season was a different story. First, because of the coaching situation, the whole team game fell apart. Second, after Tortorella came, they didn't click. Typically, Torts would punish Z for something, Z would get upset, and stop playing for a few games. Then he would pick up, but do something wrong, Torts would punish him, Z would get upset, etc.

My take on it -- the biggest problem with Z is his confidence level. I suspect it always was, but when he was younger he would try to hide it under the mask of arrogance.
As a Ranger fan, I can tell you firsthand that this completely sums up Zherdev's year on Broadway. Maybe its still a little too early to write the guy off, but I was just curious as to hear your impressions on him.

It seems like he's the same ol' Zherdev, though where half the fan base loves him for his talent (probably the best hands on a Ranger this past decade with the exception of Gaborik and Jagr) and the other half hates him for his inconsistency.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris View Post
As a Ranger fan, I can tell you firsthand that this completely sums up Zherdev's year on Broadway. Maybe its still a little too early to write the guy off, but I was just curious as to hear your impressions on him.

It seems like he's the same ol' Zherdev, though where half the fan base loves him for his talent (probably the best hands on a Ranger this past decade with the exception of Gaborik and Jagr) and the other half hates him for his inconsistency.
Hey, I am a Ranger fan too, do you think I would know all this otherwise? ;-)
As for his inconsistency... at least he consistently scores 1G + 2A per every 4 games over the course of the season (except one year in Columbus), no matter NHL or KHL.

Old
10-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

My take on it -- the biggest problem with Z is his confidence level. I suspect it always was, but when he was younger he would try to hide it under the mask of arrogance. Definitely not anymore.

Also, the situation around him does affect him a lot. As the team finds its game, so should Zherdev. At that point, I am not sure how tough he will be, but his spinoramas will become more effective. As for now, to label him uneffective is unfair. The whole team is scoring less than a goal per game while 5 on 5. So he is much above average. And he is drawing penalties. And he is playing 12 mins per game.
If confidence level means that he plays better when he has the puck on his stick and he can freewheel, I agree. Players like this are just flat out lazy unless they have the puck because of all the crazy moves and espn top 10's.

Guys like that do not last long in systems like Torts and Laviolette's where team defense takes precedence. Under Renney the team was also losing while Zherdev was scoring, so would I take less goals and more all around play over him scoring 30+ and missign the playoffs? Yes. Hard to understand as Skirts fans but that is how the rest of the league plays.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Guys like that do not last long in systems like Torts and Laviolette's where team defense takes precedence. Under Renney the team was also losing while Zherdev was scoring, so would I take less goals and more all around play over him scoring 30+ and missign the playoffs? Yes. Hard to understand as Skirts fans but that is how the rest of the league plays.
So have you specifically seen him to be bad defensively? Or are you just repeating all that BS that is floating around the Internet? Just asking, because his +/- doesn't seem too bad.

Last edited by vera1964: 10-20-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
So have you specifically seen him to be bad defensively? Or are you just repeating all that BS that is floating around the Internet? Just asking, because his +/- doesn't seem too bad.
+/- is an unreliable stat, just because his +/- stat is not poor does not mean he does not float over overextend his shifts when he does not have the puck. Zero points in the playoffs always points for me to a player who can succeed in the regular season but when it gets physical and tight checking they disappear.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Mosetter27

I for one love the dude dont care how bad of a slump hes in now I will sport my Zherdev jersey PROUDLY!

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:07 AM
MrHockey1982

Hey Zherdev!!! You SUCK!! Ya Jackass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77NVT...eature=related

Whoa!! His helmet went further than the puck......

Last edited by MrHockey1982: 10-22-2010 at 08:25 AM.
MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:13 AM
MrHockey1982

azxcgfdh

Last edited by MrHockey1982: 10-22-2010 at 08:23 AM.
MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Cartsiephan*

-2, no points.