HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

OT: Center Ice

Old
10-20-2010, 02:22 PM
gopreds

vCash: 500
I called the NHL League Office just a few minutes ago, I am going to get to the bottom of this

I found In-Demands Corporate phone number and just gave them a ring also, all I could do was leave messages in both places, hopefully one of them will get back with me.

Last edited by gopreds: 10-20-2010 at 02:34 PM.
gopreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:29 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds View Post
I called the NHL League Office just a few minutes ago, I am going to get to the bottom of this
Thanks. let me know... I was about to resort to that also.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
This all ties to the Dish Network - FOX Sports issue according to what Dirk found out from the team.

Read more here:
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/1...network-update

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
...Or was the Preds game possibly blacked out on CI due to Versus having exclusive US broadcast rights as I read somewhere else? Can (would) they do that to us? I don't ever remember CI being that picky in the past...
They did the same thing last year. I can't remember where we were playing but it was an away game and unavailable because Versus had the rights. I'm sure they chose to show yet another Flyers game...

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:02 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
...Or was the Preds game possibly blacked out on CI due to Versus having exclusive US broadcast rights as I read somewhere else? Can (would) they do that to us? I don't ever remember CI being that picky in the past...
OK, to clarify my clarification: I was trying to ask if Vs is trying to blackout local coverage of all other games in the US when they are broadcasting ANY game. So regardless of whether they had the option (or even interest other than the half dozen teams they ever bother to show regardless of where they are in the standings) in a game in the US market, are they blacking it out on Center Ice to try and drive viewers to their game on Versus?

If so, I'll be darned if I turn it on regardless of how much I might want to see it!

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Dodgie

Quote:
In the past, if at least ONE of the teams playing was a Canadian team then Center Ice would show that feed. It didn't matter about the "Versus window". That only affected US teams. So, we would have got the Flames feed on Center Ice back in the "good ole days". Who knows what's going on this year.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Adz

Quote:
OK, to clarify my clarification: I was trying to ask if Vs is trying to blackout local coverage of all other games in the US when they are broadcasting ANY game. So regardless of whether they had the option (or even interest other than the half dozen teams they ever bother to show regardless of where they are in the standings) in a game in the US market, are they blacking it out on Center Ice to try and drive viewers to their game on Versus?

If so, I'll be darned if I turn it on regardless of how much I might want to see it!
Yes. I don't know whether this was a Versus decision or whether it was an NHL decision, but I read early on that the reason was to encourage the Monday and/or Tuesday night game to be "the" hockey game, much the same way the Sunday or Monday night football game is the only NFL game on TV at that time.

Dodgie, I remember when they'd play the Canadian games on CI. I wonder if the difference is that those were all pay per view broadcasts? Technically, you were paying to view them through having Center Ice, which may have been a way around the broadcast rules.

Old
10-20-2010, 05:49 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

See, that is my way of thinking about this, Adz, I paid premium dollar for Center Ice. I should have the right to watch that game if the Preds are not electing to black it out for attendance reasons. I resent it when Versus tries to force me to watch their crappy choices -- I call them crappy since they have shown my team of choice no more than once a year (and sometimes not even once) since they owned those exclusive rights. And when I fill out those surveys from the league deriding the choices it does not seem to change anything.

Old
10-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
See, that is my way of thinking about this, Adz, I paid premium dollar for Center Ice. I should have the right to watch that game if the Preds are not electing to black it out for attendance reasons. I resent it when Versus tries to force me to watch their crappy choices -- I call them crappy since they have shown my team of choice no more than once a year (and sometimes not even once) since they owned those exclusive rights. And when I fill out those surveys from the league deriding the choices it does not seem to change anything.
The Predators are not blacking out games for attendance issues. The NHL has asked all it's teams to not waive local blackout rights (as the Predators have normally done) while there is the ongoing dispute between DISH and Fox Sports.

As for VS, I totally agree. Their exclusive rights are absurd and do nothing to promote the sport...in fact IMO, less hockey available means less hockey watched IMO. Never have I watched the VS telecast while the Predators are playing, nor do I remember more than a handful of times that I've gone out to eat and seen said Game of The Week.

Old
10-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Adz

Absolutely. If my team is playing, they are the team I care about. If the league or VS or whomever wants to create a Tuesday Night Hockey night then no other teams should be scheduled to play at that time.

As for Center Ice, I can accept an "in market" blackout if the game is being played on a station in the area--even if every cable or satellite provider doesn't carry that station. I know, harsh. I said I could accept it, I didn't say I liked it, but it is a negotiating point. But when Nashville is playing in San Jose, that's not IN market. It's the local team, but they are not playing at home, and if FS-TN or Sports South or Versus (yeah right) isn't broadcasting then it's out of market. Center Ice markets themselves as being a way to watch your hometown team when you're not at home anymore. I accept that, but it's a flawed focus. I care about my team wherever they are--I don't care if Center Ice shows the megatron on occasion...give me something for my $180.

Shoot, maybe the teams should do like the Western Canadian teams did and have it PPV. I'd gladly pay $75 to watch all of our out of town games and a couple of home games that I couldn't make for whatever reason.

Old
10-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Seth Lake

FWIW, apparently Saturday's game at Dallas will be blacked out in our market as well...even for Center Ice subscribers...

Old
10-20-2010, 08:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
FWIW, apparently Saturday's game at Dallas will be blacked out in our market as well...even for Center Ice subscribers...
All the more reason for me to buy tickets.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
All the more reason for me to buy tickets.
Yes, but being clearly outside the Nashville viewing area and in fact sitting squarely in the Dallas market, you wouldn't be blacked out anyways...

Old
10-20-2010, 08:52 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Yes, but being clearly outside the Nashville viewing area and in fact sitting squarely in the Dallas market, you wouldn't be blacked out anyways...
I'm not even in the Dallas market. Luckily my hit time for the field is late enough that I can make the almost 3 hr drive and see the Preds live for the first time this season.

Of course, last time I saw the Preds play in Dallas some kid in his first game had a hattie against Ellis.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I'm not even in the Dallas market. Luckily my hit time for the field is late enough that I can make the almost 3 hr drive and see the Preds live for the first time this season.

Of course, last time I saw the Preds play in Dallas some kid in his first game had a hattie against Ellis.
It was Fabian Brunnstrom. The guy that just cleared waivers last week...

Let's hope that doesn't happen again!

Old
10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
hockey_socks

Quote:
This all ties to the Dish Network - FOX Sports issue according to what Dirk found out from the team.

Read more here:
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/1...network-update
I have this confirmed by both Jeff Cogen (Preds CEO) and Bob Kohl (Preds Broadcasting Director). In case anyone missed it earlier in the thread.

As I said on the np.com forum, if this Fox/Dish spat continues into November, we'll hear Hurricanes fans start to complain, too, most likely. We haven't heard much from them about this yet because all the Hurricanes games in October will be carried by FS-Carolina. Nov. 3 is their first home game without FS-CR coverage.

hockey_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:34 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
It was Fabian Brunnstrom. The guy that just cleared waivers last week...

Let's hope that doesn't happen again!
Luckily my hat didn't get over the net behind the goal (thank God for the safety netting and seats directly in front of the Dallas dancers). Fabs is now wearing #29 in Cedar Park and was unimpressive Sunday night. Scatchard on the other hand ...

I still need to buy tix for Saturday. Good thing I have a contact there.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:37 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Now this totally blows-- are you saying that is true only for Dish subscribers, or even for D* and Comcrap CI folks?

If so, how does it fit the logic they laid out? It is not being broadcast nationally by Vs, it is not a home game here and subject to Nashville-area blackout. What criteria IS it subject to???

Are they just making it up now? Have they been taken over by the League Disciplinary office types? Somebody talk me down!

Old
10-20-2010, 09:47 PM
hockey_socks

From what I understood, only the home games not broadcast by FSNTN/Sportsouth would be blacked out. The Dallas game is an away game. Why would it be blacked out on CI?

Old
10-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_socks View Post
From what I understood, only the home games not broadcast by FSNTN/Sportsouth would be blacked out. The Dallas game is an away game. Why would it be blacked out on CI?
Sent a DM to Dirk. If you look at the comments section of the article I posted Dirk states that the game will be blacked out.

Old
10-21-2010, 02:55 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
The Predators are not blacking out games for attendance issues. The NHL has asked all it's teams to not waive local blackout rights (as the Predators have normally done) while there is the ongoing dispute between DISH and Fox Sports.
I don't understand why people with Comcast are being blacked out. If it's a dispute between DISH and FS, why are comcast subscribers stuck in the middle of this?

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Adz

The Dallas game is being televised on TXA 21, not FS-SW

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2010/7/...las-stars-over

Maybe Center Ice doesn't have any sort of relationship with that station and that's why it's being blacked out here--nothing to show! I'm hoping the website has a stream of some sort.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
hockey_socks

I can't believe we've gone from missing maybe 1-3 games a season to this stupid mess.

Before all we had to worry about was the occasional freak situation of neither team carrying the game or that one Versus blackout. Heck, last season wasn't there a game (or two) where we got the scoreboard feed? I'LL TAKE THAT.

You'd think they were trying to land a zamboni on freaking Mars the way this broadcast season is going...between Center Ice and the SportSouth mess across the state.

Old
10-21-2010, 05:06 PM
gopreds

It appears as the dish-fox dispute is causing this mess, I spoke with someone at Indemand who says that Fox is refusing to lift any of the blackout restrictions while this dispute is going on,it appears we have all suffered some collateral damage from this fight,sad, but true.

Last edited by gopreds: 10-21-2010 at 05:15 PM.
gopreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Went to Battle Ground Brewery to watch the game and they had DirectTV. It was blacked out. Me and my buddy watched the score sheet on his iPhone.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote