HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moen with Gomez-Gionta, Pouliot on 4th

Old
10-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
It will be Pyatt.

JFChaumont J-F Chaumont
#Habs: Tom Pyatt est le choix de Jacques Martin pour jouer avec Gomez et Gionta contre les Devils.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Not too clear who is going there yet. Pyatt and Darche have been rotating the position during practice.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Not too clear who is going there yet. Pyatt and Darche have been rotating the position during practice.
J-F Chaumont reported it's Pyatt on Twitter about half an hour ago. No reason to argue with him.

I like the choice; rather have him in the line-up than Darche.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
J-F Chaumont reported it's Pyatt on Twitter about half an hour ago. No reason to argue with him.

I like the choice; rather have him in the line-up than Darche.
This is a no-brainer. Pyatt is a tireless fore-checker who will not back down against anyone in the corners despite his size. All this would be a mute point if Pouliot had half the work ethic Pyatt did.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
This is a no-brainer. Pyatt is a tireless fore-checker who will not back down against anyone in the corners despite his size. All this would be a mute point if Pouliot had half the work ethic Pyatt did.
Pouliot has had a better start than Gomez, Pyatt and Gionta.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Pouliot has had a better start than Gomez, Pyatt and Gionta.
Based on what? His two assists? Bottom line is that he doesn't make his presence felt enough on the ice. His hits remind me of Latendresse's last year with the Habs. Hitting a guy with the sole purpose of getting credited for a hit and not hitting a guy to make a play. Pouliot is still playing without a real purpose out there. He's somewhere in between fighting along the boards for the puck and finding open space for a scoring opportunity. He can't decide what kind of player he wants to be, and that's a bit his fault and the coach's. A guy like Pyatt knows who he is, and what he is works better with the Gomez line. This line needs a garbageman-type player, someone like Knuble or Malone. From what i can recall, Malone was more of a shooter first with Pittsburgh, but has changed his game with TB to be more of a in-front-of-the-net, cause havoc kind of player. Pouliot should take a cue form him and learn to play like that. Heck just take a cue from AK, lol. Another basketball analogy: Pouliot is playing like small forward, keeping everthing to the outside despite his big frame. He needs to become a power forward, and take everything to the net and wreak havoc.

Old
10-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Habit11

Quote:
This league is full of players who work hard as 4th liners, but that doesn't mean they should move up to a Top 6 position based on that alone. We've seen him there before, and Moen, and Darche, and it lasts for a game or two at the most because none of them have the hands/skill to play with guys like Gomez/Gionta.

Not having Pouliot there is fine, but at least try Boyd or Eller before any of the 4th liners because as a coach you haven't seen Boyd or Eller yet in that role. And if the team is missing a Top 6, and can't find someone in house, then the GM needs to get on the phone, and make something happen.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:54 PM
smon

Quote:
Based on what? His two assists? Bottom line is that he doesn't make his presence felt enough on the ice. His hits remind me of Latendresse's last year with the Habs. Hitting a guy with the sole purpose of getting credited for a hit and not hitting a guy to make a play. Pouliot is still playing without a real purpose out there. He's somewhere in between fighting along the boards for the puck and finding open space for a scoring opportunity. He can't decide what kind of player he wants to be, and that's a bit his fault and the coach's. A guy like Pyatt knows who he is, and what he is works better with the Gomez line. This line needs a garbageman-type player, someone like Knuble or Malone. From what i can recall, Malone was more of a shooter first with Pittsburgh, but has changed his game with TB to be more of a in-front-of-the-net, cause havoc kind of player. Pouliot should take a cue form him and learn to play like that. Heck just take a cue from AK, lol. Another basketball analogy: Pouliot is playing like small forward, keeping everthing to the outside despite his big frame. He needs to become a power forward, and take everything to the net and wreak havoc.
Gah, when has Pouliot even been a power forward? It's just Latendresse v2 if you try and force the guy to play a role which he is just not suited for. The guy's 6'3, 199, he's not exactly a tank on wheels.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:57 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

I come in peace.

Could one of you give me a rundown on what the full Habs lineup will be tomorrow? I've been put on GDT duty for the game tomorrow.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Based on his games. I couldn't care less about his 2assists. He was a lot more involved in the game than Gomez/Gionta.

Pouliot is not a Power Forward. Latendresse is not a PF either. People have to stop labeling him. Let the damn guy play.

I think Gomez is more of a problem on that line than Pouliot. I think Pouliot would produce alongside Plek/Cammy and I wouldn't be opposed to trying this out, moving A.Ko to the 2nd line.
This likely won't happen though.

Moen, Pyatt, Darche, Boyd, whichever scrapper, none of them can be viable longterm solutions.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
I come in peace.

Could one of you give me a rundown on what the full Habs lineup will be tomorrow? I've been put on GDT duty for the game tomorrow.
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pyatt - Gomez - Gionta
Eller - Boyd - Moen
Pouliot - Halpern - Lapierre

Gill - Gorges
Hamrlik - Spacek
Picard - Subban

Price
Auld

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:15 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Thank you, sir.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Gah, when has Pouliot even been a power forward? It's just Latendresse v2 if you try and force the guy to play a role which he is just not suited for. The guy's 6'3, 199, he's not exactly a tank on wheels.
When you're top 6 is small, you need power forwards to fill it up, not soft big guys. If they are soft big guys, they have to at least have perfect positioning and an innate skill for being in the right place at the right time. Oh and p.s., Pouliot is now 6'3 211, he apparently put on 12 pounds of muscle this summer. Obviously the guy knows what the deal is here: bulk up and be a power forward or get demoted. Everyone said that Latendresse coudn't be changed that he's just not a power forward, and the coaches here were trying to turn him into something he was not. Well guess what: every highlight i see of Latendresse in Minnesota is him driving to the net, mucking it up and getting garbage goals. That's all that was ever asked of him in MTL. I don't care if you're 5'6 or 6'6, if you're a scorer and you're soft in this league you're pretty much useless. Cammy and Gionta are way more aggressive than Pouliot right now and they're way smaller. THERE IS NO PLACE FOR SOFT PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM. PERIOD. Look at who we've gotten rid of lately. D'agostini, Latendresse, Laraque, all soft. Martin system is all about being aggressive on the forecheck and using speed and skill to counter attack on the rush. Pouliot imo does not put in enough effort to be a successful piece in that system. As it stands, neither does a guy like Eller just yet. Players that do are guys like Moen and Pyatt, and that's why they are always getting tried on the second line. The only thing i will agree with you on is that they should give Boyd a try as well. I bet you he'll be the next one tried out.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:18 PM
JackZap

so Pyatt goes from press box to playing with GG.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
When you're top 6 is small, you need power forwards to fill it up, not soft big guys. If they are soft big guys, they have to at least have perfect positioning and an innate skill for being in the right place at the right time. Oh and p.s., Pouliot is now 6'3 211, he apparently put on 12 pounds of muscle this summer. Obviously the guy knows what the deal is here: bulk up and be a power forward or get demoted. Everyone said that Latendresse coudn't be changed that he's just not a power forward, and the coaches here were trying to turn him into something he was not. Well guess what: every highlight i see of Latendresse in Minnesota is him driving to the net, mucking it up and getting garbage goals. That's all that was ever asked of him in MTL. I don't care if you're 5'6 or 6'6, if you're a scorer and you're soft in this league you're pretty much useless. Cammy and Gionta are way more aggressive than Pouliot right now and they're way smaller. THERE IS NO PLACE FOR SOFT PLAYERS ON THIS TEAM. PERIOD. Look at who we've gotten rid of lately. D'agostini, Latendresse, Laraque, all soft. Martin system is all about being aggressive on the forecheck and using speed and skill to counter attack on the rush. Pouliot imo does not put in enough effort to be a successful piece in that system. As it stands, neither does a guy like Eller just yet. Players that do are guys like Moen and Pyatt, and that's why they are always getting tried on the second line. The only thing i will agree with you on is that they should give Boyd a try as well. I bet you he'll be the next one tried out.
That is true. He plays like a power forward for the Wild.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Based on his games. I couldn't care less about his 2assists. He was a lot more involved in the game than Gomez/Gionta.

Pouliot is not a Power Forward. Latendresse is not a PF either. People have to stop labeling him. Let the damn guy play.

I think Gomez is more of a problem on that line than Pouliot. I think Pouliot would produce alongside Plek/Cammy and I wouldn't be opposed to trying this out, moving A.Ko to the 2nd line.
This likely won't happen though.

Moen, Pyatt, Darche, Boyd, whichever scrapper, none of them can be viable longterm solutions.
I knew you'd bring Gomez into this. Everyone invariably picks on Gomez. And yet every game i see he makes at least 4-5 passes that all could easily be goals. Gomez is a playmaker, pure and simple. That said, I've actually been impressed by how many shots he's taken this year--he seems to be getting back to his old self. When you have a guy who carries the puck as well as Gomez does, a guy like Pouliot should be parking himself in front of the net, waiting for a rebound to pounce on. Instead you see him floating around the slot, waiting for a pass. And that would be fine if there's was someone else busting chops in front of the net.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Corey

Quote:
The last time I looked Latendresse has 1 goal, no assists, so far this season. The adrenaline surge he got from being traded isn't working now.

Don't expect Moen to be competing with Ovechkin for the Rocket Richard trophy. Pyatt seems to play better without the puck than with it. Do you expect scoring from him?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Moen on the 2nd line, 'cause that worked brillantly before. Yes Jacques. It would take a bigger guy, that plays big on the 2nd line. You got that right.....but a guy who could actually play hockey, not a plugger like Moen....

Another move that makes no sense....Pouliot needs to stay on that line since you don't have better unless you try Eller on it.
Exactly.

How many goals has Moen scored or set up by digging the puck off the boards and passing to Gomer or Gio for a goal so far since he has been on the 2nd line?

NONE.

How many goals will Moen most likely score if he remains on the 2nd line all season?

10 maybe.

While Eller and Poolie who could score perhaps 20 or more if they were on the 2nd line play with grinders which gives them little chance to put many points on the scoresheet.

JM

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
The last time I looked Latendresse has 1 goal, no assists, so far this season. The adrenaline surge he got from being traded isn't working now.

Don't expect Moen to be competing with Ovechkin for the Rocket Richard trophy. Pyatt seems to play better without the puck than with it. Do you expect scoring from him?
Make that 2 goals and an assist for the Wild. And he's had a slow start due to injuries and being a lazy ass in training camp. When Latendresee applies himself and listens to his coach's, he's a good player. There's no reason Pouliot can't be the same.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post

No i don't expect scoring from Pyatt or Moen for that matter, i expect scoring from Gionta. How many goals has Gionta scored since he's somebody besides Pouliot on that line: 1. In how many games? 1.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Arg...

I'm telling you, someone somewhere signed a contract that forces our coaches to have a lottery for who would play on the first two lines other than Gionta, Gomez, Cammy and Plek.

And today's winner is? Tom Pyatt!!! ding ding ding!

Same thing happened with Tom ****ing Kostopoulos, Moen, Darche and so on and so forth.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Youppi dress up for saturday's game if the G line doesnt perform.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I knew you'd bring Gomez into this. Everyone invariably picks on Gomez. And yet every game i see he makes at least 4-5 passes that all could easily be goals. Gomez is a playmaker, pure and simple. That said, I've actually been impressed by how many shots he's taken this year--he seems to be getting back to his old self. When you have a guy who carries the puck as well as Gomez does, a guy like Pouliot should be parking himself in front of the net, waiting for a rebound to pounce on. Instead you see him floating around the slot, waiting for a pass. And that would be fine if there's was someone else busting chops in front of the net.
You are impressed by how many shots Gomez has taken?..You mean his huge 8 shots??..
He's on pace for the lowest amount of shots ever taken in a season.
Gomez has done the exact same play since Game 1. Everybody knows what he's going to do once he enters the zone. Come in fast, stop, look to pass to a teammate or dump it in the corner. It really isn't that tough to figure him out. He has to be more creative.
Pouliot isn't so strong along the boards, opponents usually come out with the puck. But everybody has their flaws. The guy still has been more involved in the play than Gomez for the most part.

But you're impressed by his 8 shots, his lowest pace ever, so I can't expect you to have a very good view of the matter.

Quote:
No i don't expect scoring from Pyatt or Moen for that matter, i expect scoring from Gionta. How many goals has Gionta scored since he's somebody besides Pouliot on that line: 1. In how many games? 1.
It's been 2 games actually.
And Gionta's goal has absolutely nothing to do with Gomez or Moen.
Alfie made a pass back to Gonchar I believe. Puck bounced over the stick which created a breakaway. You know, an UNASSISTED goal.

Give it a rest buddy. Pouliot is not the problem.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
You are impressed by how many shots Gomez has taken?..You mean his huge 8 shots??..
He's on pace for the lowest amount of shots ever taken in a season.
Gomez has done the exact same play since Game 1. Everybody knows what he's going to do once he enters the zone. Come in fast, stop, look to pass to a teammate or dump it in the corner. It really isn't that tough to figure him out. He has to be more creative.
Pouliot isn't so strong along the boards, opponents usually come out with the puck. But everybody has their flaws. The guy still has been more involved in the play than Gomez for the most part.

But you're impressed by his 8 shots, his lowest pace ever, so I can't expect you to have a very good view of the matter.

It's been 2 games actually.
And Gionta's goal has absolutely nothing to do with Gomez or Moen.
Alfie made a pass back to Gonchar I believe. Puck bounced over the stick which created a breakaway. You know, an UNASSISTED goal.

Give it a rest buddy. Pouliot is not the problem.
Ok so his 8 shots are a low number, but it's the idea behind the shots that i like--he's thinking about the rebound opportunity that will result from them. And sure Gionta's goal had nothing to do with Moen, but the line looked way better that it had in the first few games.

And yes i am wrong, and so is Martin and rest of the coaching staff. Obviously you are right.

Last edited by Markowicz: 10-20-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old
10-20-2010, 04:20 PM
JayBee*

Why couldn't Gauthier just get a frigging top 2 line winger to address this hole during the offseason instead of this ********?

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Why couldn't Gauthier just get a frigging top 2 line winger to address this hole during the offseason instead of this ********?
i think it's mostly because he didn't want to look like a loser in the Latendresse trade. Pouliot may still wake up when all is said and done, but a better fit on that line is a talented plugger, imo.