HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Automobile Questions

So I am looking to purchase a 2nd car for myself, to be used in winter most of the time. I'm looking at used subaru's , since they're AWD .. I have a series of questions in my typical unorganized way. Whatever feedback / answers you can provide helps me greatly.

My budget is ~ 5 or 6k but could go up to 8 -10 k if I get really sold on a car. and I don't care about "flashy" style , this is the car I want to drive in the winter, beat up , scratch up and have fun with no worries . I like a boxy looking cars that looks worked in AWD almost a must.

That said, I'm looking at some older AWD Subaru Foresters (I know, not sexy, but AWD and reliable). 1998 - 2003 range. Any opinions on this make? is it Reliable???

I'm also looking at older boxy looking Volvos .. though I'm concerned about cost of repairs ... ?????

I notice on Kijiji some of the dealers have " certified mileage ".

How can an owner / dealer certify mileage? Is it basically looking at the servicing papers and verifying with the dealer? Should I be worried about " fake paperwork"? (ie: guy pays someone at the dealer to produce paperwork for servicing with low mileage -- and then owner gets KM rolled back for him).

My biggest worry -- is buying a car that was rolled back or accidented.

It's been a very long time since I bought a used car but I recall you can check the serial number on the dash to see if it's been into any accidents. I did this once a long time ago -- I don't remember if I ran a serial check with the honda dealer or the SAAQ ... and supposedly now you can do it online??? please

Any help is appreciated!

ps: H10H or other Mod, can you plz make an Auto sticky??? I'm afraid nobody will see my post in here!

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 10-20-2010 at 10:15 PM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:21 PM
ReVeuF

All 2011

Ford Mustang or Chevrolet Camaro or Dodge Challenger ?

I love them all, it is hard to choose

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Habs

Should I wait for the 2012 Yukon Denali, or get the 2011? I heard the 2012 is going to be quite a bit smaller, and I don't want to lose much space.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
1st post
1. Can't go wrong with Subaru. Expensive to fix when they do break though.

2. Might want to look into 2003-2004 AWD Toyota Matrix... I have one, good cars, although they don't really look boxy, and only come in automatic.

3. I have no idea how they certify mileage, I don't trust it. Always get a used car inspected by a different garage, preferably someone you know/trust. It should be written in the buying contract that it can be voided if the inspection shows something bad.

4. The place to check if there's a loan left is the "rdprm". http://www.rdprm.gouv.qc.ca/

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:53 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
take the bus

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Is this where i put my car to sell? If you want to buy my Lada, you should know that its modified extensively so the engine starts when you turn the key. Front wheel let you steer right AND left (it was optional) And it comes with a two tone color scheme.

All bumpers have been removed (less weight= more speed) and i'll include for FREE that piece of string needed to move the wipers. Wow!! What a deal! Leave me a message and we'll talk!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:05 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Is this where i put my car to sell? If you want to buy my Lada, you should know that its modified extensively so the engine starts when you turn the key. Front wheel let you steer right AND left (it was optional) And it comes with a two tone color scheme.

All bumpers have been removed (less weight= more speed) and i'll include for FREE that piece of string needed to move the wipers. Wow!! What a deal! Leave me a message and we'll talk!

5 bucks and a poutine, and we have a deal

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:16 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

does it come with winter tires?

Old
10-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Is there anybody else than me who's excited about Tesla's S Model coming out soon?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:27 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
1. Can't go wrong with Subaru. Expensive to fix when they do break though.

2. Might want to look into 2003-2004 AWD Toyota Matrix... I have one, good cars, although they don't really look boxy, and only come in automatic.

3. I have no idea how they certify mileage, I don't trust it. Always get a used car inspected by a different garage, preferably someone you know/trust. It should be written in the buying contract that it can be voided if the inspection shows something bad.

4. The place to check if there's a loan left is the "rdprm". http://www.rdprm.gouv.qc.ca/
very, very expensive to fix, great when there running good, matrix or even its sister the vibe arent bad cars , i personally drive a 1998 328is as a winter beater for last 3 years costing me $600 for brakes, balljoints, tie rods and alignment, the E36 BMW models are great cars and very cheap to maintain even at the dealer, with good winter tires BMW traction system is second to none, not awd but i feel very safe in that car regardless of weather, paid $8500 for it 3yrs ago with 158000km

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:40 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
very, very expensive to fix, great when there running good, matrix or even its sister the vibe arent bad cars , i personally drive a 1998 328is as a winter beater for last 3 years costing me $600 for brakes, balljoints, tie rods and alignment, the E36 BMW models are great cars and very cheap to maintain even at the dealer, with good winter tires BMW traction system is second to none, not awd but i feel very safe in that car regardless of weather, paid $8500 for it 3yrs ago with 158000km
Did you but it at a dealer or privately??

Old
10-20-2010, 06:15 PM
MXD

Actually... go for an Outback. Not a Forester.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:22 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Did you but it at a dealer or privately??
i went to Toronto for both my cars bought privately., There in better condition with less salt on their roads and better prices, since i bought my 99 M3 and my winter 328is ive had 3 good friends by E36 bmw models. There fast, dont bring attention like a civic, handling/braking above average, cheap to maintain, a little hard on gas in the city, i drive like a loon though, great gas mileage on the highway.

Old
10-20-2010, 06:35 PM
ClasslessGuy

is it possible to install a block heater? is it expensive?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:00 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
is it possible to install a block heater? is it expensive?
all vehicles sold in Canada should have block heater installed, but ive seen them replaced $100 -$200 max, its really not hard to do regardless what type of vehicle you have.

Old
10-20-2010, 07:13 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
all vehicles sold in Canada should have block heater installed, but ive seen them replaced $100 -$200 max, its really not hard to do regardless what type of vehicle you have.
When something on your BMW breaks, is it expensive to replace?

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:28 PM
ClasslessGuy

Ok so I have a 2003 accent and I really suck in any car thing related...

So i'm supposed to have a block heater? because i don't find any plug or wathever to plug my car during the winter time

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:49 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

don't buy american cars!!!!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:52 PM
katatoniak

I would like to buy a NIssan Sentra 2007 automatic

.... Is this a good choice ? Right now I have a Mazda Protege 2000 at 240 000km and I've just put 800$ *********** bucks in it .... So I want to change.

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Ok so I have a 2003 accent and I really suck in any car thing related...

So i'm supposed to have a block heater? because i don't find any plug or wathever to plug my car during the winter time
I think he means you should've got the option. Not every car has it. It's a basic option when buying a new car. Obviously, most of us aren't with new cars, but whoever did buy it new, may or may not have selected the option.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
5 bucks and a poutine, and we have a deal
Make it 7.69 and we have a deal. Can i choose what kind of poutine also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
does it come with winter tires?
Who said anything about including ANY tires...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:24 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
When something on your BMW breaks, is it expensive to replace?
my m3 is really hoped up with a S54 euro spec m3 engine full bilstein suspension, brembo brake upgrade, so it doesnt count. In my hand i hold bmw package pricing for common repairs at the dealer mind you, front and rear brakes on my 328is $725 pads/rotors brake sensors and labor incl., shocks all around $360, ball joints $110 parts/labor per side, tie rods $145 parts/labor per side, water pump $275, radiator $650 parts/labor, i worked at a nissan dealer back in the day selling brake jos at $1000 -$1200 for all around brake jobs, rads for $1000, only M series BMW are expensive to maintain, but i have a buddy who does my work so its even cheaper for me.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
I would like to buy a NIssan Sentra 2007 automatic
Nissan are reliable cars! i own a 2005 Nissan Sentra SE with a manual transmission and so far so good! although not very powerful, its fun to drive...

Be careful though, in 2007, they introduced the new generation of Sentra which is the current one... its always tricky with the first year of a generation... it shouldnt be a big deal tough with Nissan...

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:49 PM
coolasprICE

It's official, looking for a used car is a major pain in the ass

Spent 4 hours today wasting my time in traffic to see only lemons ... one guy was complete sketch who owned the car for a month, prbly bought it pretty cheap, rolled back miles and is trying to flip it... It was a 98 Forester ... didn't like it.. perhaps the newer generations is the way to go.

Maybe the way to do it is to spend a bit more and get it at a well known car dealer.

Old
10-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Habbadasher

You want carfax.com

and this article: http://autos.sympatico.ca/photos-vid...r-a-blizzard/1

Hope it helps.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote