HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sauer returns, New lines...

Old
10-20-2010, 06:21 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
^ Plus Rucinsky was a part of that season who is also a 50+ pt guy. That's 5 50+pt guys. One who broke Graves' goal record w/ the Rangers( Jagr, 54). We had a much better team during the 05-06 season.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
So all those people who thought Sauer was never going to play again and ripping on Torts for it... yeah...
Who said that? We were pissed that we were going to have to endure a certain number of games before the coaching staff caught up and realized what we had known the whole time.

I don't think anyone thought Sauer was done based on the performance of Eminger the last 4 games.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Point is, it was a worse lineup, at that point, without Jagr and Rucinsky much like we are without Gaborik and Prospal.

And I could remember it off the top of my head, our 03-04 lineups were much worse. Dan LaCatoure and Joseph Balej were two of our top offensive threats

Old
10-20-2010, 06:25 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Who said that? We were pissed that we were going to have to endure a certain number of games before the coaching staff caught up and realized what we had known the whole time.

I don't think anyone thought Sauer was done based on the performance of Eminger the last 4 games.
I think it was done more to see who sits out. Gilroy or Eminger? or Gilroy was being showcased. Not so much the coaching staff having no clue like some claim.

Old
10-20-2010, 06:25 PM
nyr2417

averys line should be getting 20+ minutes a night hes been our best player bar non

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I think it was done more to see who sits out. Gilroy or Eminger?
I can't believe that our coaching staff was willing to "throw" our 3rd pair D by sitting the best guy because they wanted to find out who was worse. I have too much faith in them for that. That would be worse than them just being poor evaluators of play.

All you have to do is play Sauer and split Gilroy/Eminger on the left side. Thats all you have to do.

Old
10-20-2010, 06:27 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Point is, it was a worse lineup, at that point, without Jagr and Rucinsky much like we are without Gaborik and Prospal.

And I could remember it off the top of my head, our 03-04 lineups were much worse. Dan LaCatoure and Joseph Balej were two of our top offensive threats
That's when we were cleaning house and were promised a rebuild only to be still waiting for the completion of that rebuild 7-8 years later.

Old
10-20-2010, 06:28 PM
nyr2417

When Gaborik comes back I'd love to see these lines...

Avery-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubi-Anisimov-Callahan
Frolov-Christensen-Feds
Boogaard-Boyle-Prust

Avery is a great puck controller plus due to his league wide hate players are always taking runs at him opening ice for Gaborik. I think Avery would be extremely efficient in this role, kind of how Downie is with Stamkos

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
I can't believe that our coaching staff was willing to "throw" our 3rd pair D by sitting the best guy because they wanted to find out who was worse. I have too much faith in them for that. That would be worse than them just being poor evaluators of play.

All you have to do is play Sauer and split Gilroy/Eminger on the left side. Thats all you have to do.
That way he see's both players for equal amount of games making the decision easier/& the process shorter.

Old
10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
That's when we were cleaning house and were promised a rebuild only to be still waiting for the completion of that rebuild 7-8 years later.
But we followed that up with that 05-06 team that you're trying to portray as good.

That 05-06 team was horrendous on paper outside of Jagr, absolutely terrible.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
That way he see's both players for equal amount of games making the decision easier/& the process shorter.
if it truly is a "fluid" evaluation, that means that we should have 2 upcoming games of Gilroy-Sauer.

If that is the case, it makes a bit more sense. But if we see Sauer-Eminger again then there is a consistancy problem.

Old
10-20-2010, 06:35 PM
msv957

I know this new lineup that Torts has right now does not even closely resemble the 1984 Edmonton Oilers.

But.. jeez.... Stop with all the whining with these injuries!... No team in the NHL cares as most teams go through injuries in a season. For some strange reason, this team has not had a lot injuries that past 5 years or so. The key is to get through this stretch and hang around in the playoff hunt until this team is healthy again. It is so early in the season.

This is a great time for some players to step up their games even more and see what they have... Players like AA, Callahan, Dubinsky, Prust, Stepan, Christensen Avery, Boyle, MDZ, Girardi, Staal could step up become even a better player than what is anticipated. There are also some veterans on this team who have tons of NHL experience who can contribute such as Feds, Frolov, White, Rozy.... Heck even Hank has a chance to step up even more and become Hasek like....

I know losing 3 of the teams top 9 forwards hurts (especially Gaborik), but most every team in the NHL goes through a stretch of injuries during the season. Every player needs to step up and contribute. It has been done in the past.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanzzilla View Post
Christensen is more talented than most of the players on this roster. Not saying its a good thing, but its the truth. This team needs someone to make plays, so its not difficult to understand playing EC where he is.
But he's been used on our scoring lines and proven useless..

8 goals and 18 assists playing 50 games with Gaborik last yr???

Cmon, I'd expect better from brian boyle centering gaborik.

EC's talent is a mystical creature that reveals itself once in a blue moon, hence the reason he has never stuck anywhere. Our reliance on him is an indictment on the GM and coach

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
But he's been used on our scoring lines and proven useless..

Cmon, I'd expect better from brian boyle centering gaborik.EC's talent is a mystical creature that reveals itself once in a blue moon, hence the reason he has never stuck anywhere. Our reliance on him is an indictment on the GM and coach
You would be sadly dissapointed.

EC put up 26 in 41 playing on the Gaborik line. Thats good for tie 3rd best PP G for our team last season, and he wasn;t even playing on the top PP unit for much of that time.

If EC was a 26 year old home drafted rookie for us last year people would be screaming about how much skill he has.

Old
10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
He played on the 4th/3rd line for about a month or so, before he was moved up.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:57 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
You would be sadly dissapointed.

EC put up 26 in 41 playing on the Gaborik line. Thats good for tie 3rd best PP G for our team last season, and he wasn;t even playing on the top PP unit for much of that time.

If EC was a 26 year old home drafted rookie for us last year people would be screaming about how much skill he has.
Seriously??

First off, 26 in 41 is absolute crap playing on a first line with Marion Gaborik, thats 52 points in an 82 game schedule if he can keep that up.

I am a firm believer that Brian Boyle, Artem Anisimov, Chris Drury, Brandon Dubinsky, Vinny Prospal and Tim Kennedy could all match that. And we can all agree i hope that NONE of them are first line centers.

Secondly, There is no way anyone around here with half a brain would be clamoring about a 26 y/o rookie, because I believe that our fanbase recognizes that if a guy doesn't make the bigs by 26 he's probably no phenom.

Not to mention its beside the point, he's not a 26 y/o rookie, hes a 26 y/o, 5 year NHL vet that has been with 4 teams already and has never had more than 33 points in a season. He's garbage, waiver fodder, if no one picked him up before us its because other teams have a better GM and plan.

Look, I know I'm grossly over critical at times, but Its not to be a jerk, its to counter act all the sugar coating and pipe dreaming that goes on around here about our players and the expectations for them.

If Erik Christensen is a Top 2 center on your team, then you are closer to the lottery than you are the playoff, and if we are closer to the lottery, i'd rather win it than field futility.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:58 PM
racer90

prust...... top 6 forward.....

genius. i love it.

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
MAYO

I just gauged me own eyes out with an ice pick! WTF?!?!? Please tell me I have been in a deep sleep for several months and today is April 1st!!!!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:16 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
But we followed that up with that 05-06 team that you're trying to portray as good.

Which wasn't really a rebuild w/ youth..draft picks etc...eventually it consisted of veterans like Nylander, Straka, Rucinsky, Sykora etc.The 05-06 consisted of 5 players who were 50+ pt guys so I'm not sure how that is horrendous.

Old
10-20-2010, 07:20 PM
NYRSchrute217

While I love Prust and his game, no way should he be on our second line

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:22 PM
nexusrage21

Quote:
Then you're just not that bright mate.

Gaborik isnt a god that creates millions of points with the guys he plays with. He played with Walz and Demitra, look at their stats.

Only 90 or so players hit 52+ points last season. And you're throwing the names of 4th liners and AHLers and assuming that if they play with Gaborik they'll pot 50+ points. I can really only conclude that you're not thinking that hard.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...002342001.html

look at that club. Bure is a better version of Gaborik, and in a 58 goal season, his linemates scored 37 and 31 points. And Kozlov and Whitney are much better players than Kennedy and Boyle. Please, think before you post.
Also, that 52 points would have been good for third on the Rangers last year.

I don't have a problem with Prust playing up. He's gonna go into the corner he's going to help create space for his linemates. There's not a whole lot else you can do with the injuries. I don't know that anyone is ready to be called up. I know there is the love affair with guys like MZA and Grachev, but are they ready to step in?

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
if it truly is a "fluid" evaluation, that means that we should have 2 upcoming games of Gilroy-Sauer.

If that is the case, it makes a bit more sense. But if we see Sauer-Eminger again then there is a consistancy problem.
It was fluid. I'm not so sure it's anymore. Experimenting needs to go. He's seen all 3. Eminger, Gilroy, and Sauer. He's been able to compare and contrast two of whom I believe were in competition for the last spot in the starting line-up (Gilroy, Eminger). He saw the games of both at the same time next to each other on the same ice. Making the choice easier and quicker than the idea of just rotating in guys which would take longer to evaluate and get a grasp on.

Old
10-20-2010, 07:30 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Seriously??

First off, 26 in 41 is absolute crap playing on a first line with Marion Gaborik, thats 52 points in an 82 game schedule if he can keep that up.I am a firm believer that Brian Boyle, Artem Anisimov, Chris Drury, Brandon Dubinsky, Vinny Prospal and Tim Kennedy could all match that. And we can all agree i hope that NONE of them are first line centers.

Secondly, There is no way anyone around here with half a brain would be clamoring about a 26 y/o rookie, because I believe that our fanbase recognizes that if a guy doesn't make the bigs by 26 he's probably no phenom.

Not to mention its beside the point, he's not a 26 y/o rookie, hes a 26 y/o, 5 year NHL vet that has been with 4 teams already and has never had more than 33 points in a season. He's garbage, waiver fodder, if no one picked him up before us its because other teams have a better GM and plan.

Look, I know I'm grossly over critical at times, but Its not to be a jerk, its to counter act all the sugar coating and pipe dreaming that goes on around here about our players and the expectations for them.

If Erik Christensen is a Top 2 center on your team, then you are closer to the lottery than you are the playoff, and if we are closer to the lottery, i'd rather win it than field futility.
Man I wish I was that bad of a player.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Horrendous on paper? Like a previous poster said, Jagr had 123 points, Nylander 79, Straka 76, Rucinsky 55, Sykora 51, and Prucha 47 (30 of which were goals).

Why didn't they look good on paper? Because they weren't big name players? In my eyes putting up great stats = great on paper. On the other hand does putting up great stats guarantee winning? No. Just look at Tony Romo.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Horrendous on paper? Like a previous poster said, Jagr had 123 points, Nylander 79, Straka 76, Rucinsky 55, Sykora 51, and Prucha 47 (30 of which were goals).

Why didn't they look good on paper? Because they weren't big name players? In my eyes putting up great stats = great on paper. On the other hand does putting up great stats guarantee winning? No. Just look at Tony Romo.
Jagr had a monster year and singlehandedly inflated the numbers of those other players who were average NHL'ers or worse during the rest of their careers.

Take a look at the rest of that roster, especially the defense. Its downright scary, and amazing that team performed so well.

Jaromir Jagr, the emergence of Henrik Lundqvist, and Tom Renney's coaching - in that order - were the main reasons that 05-06 team surprised.

And while it was fun to watch, that small taste of modest success kickstarted the mess we are in today.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote