HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you tape your hockey stick blade and grip?

Old
10-18-2010, 02:09 PM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
How do you tape your hockey stick blade and grip?

I got a new stick so I thought I would add a page to How to Hockey on how to tape a hockey stick

I made a few videos and put them on Youtube.

Hockey tape job for blade

Hockey tape job for grip

I am amazed at all the different methods that people have mentioned since I posted the video so I wanted to hear from you guys on how you tape your stick and why.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Blueland89

i tape my grip with the spiral type grip going counter clockwise with about 4 layers of tape on the butt of the stick for a mall know just enough to feel in the palm. For my blade just basic tape from heel to toe I occasionally tape it straight down the blade from hell to toe know wrapping you can see this style on youtube, eric Cole shows you how to do it and it works very well also saves you tape.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Blade - usually just heel to toe over the toe, but lately the Erik Cole style
Grip - 1" tape around the knob a dozen or so times and then blue gauze over it

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I put lots of pro-wrap on the handle. About 1/8" thick before I put tape over it.

On the blade I always go heel to toe.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:07 PM
densetsu

Adhesive side in.

For the blade, two strips on the bottom of the blade first (I still use wood blades). Then heel-to-toe, where each strip is just barely overlapping the last strip. (As opposed to overlapping the last strip of tape at the halfway mark, which means you really have two layers of tape on top of your blade once your tape job is done.)

With my minimalist, single-layer tape job on the blade, I can feel the puck better, both as a goalie and skater. And as a goalie, when I deflect shots to the corner it feels like the puck is being deflected faster/harder. It's probably completely mental (a second layer of tape isn't going to absorb much kinetic energy), but it's what I do.

On the butt of the stick, I wrap a strip of tape around and around at the very top until the tape is about 1/2" thick. Then I wrap a single layer of tape down about 5", and write my number and a small kanji symbol on the tape with a sharpie. (here's an old, terrible cell phone picture, without my number on it).

On my goalie sticks, for a short period of time I used to tape a grip at the top of the paddle. When I found that the adhesive from the tape gunked up my blocker palm, I tried using grip tape. When the grip tape started sliding up the shaft of my stick, I gave up trying to put any kind of tape above the paddle.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:32 PM
ponder

I go heel to toe, starting real close to the heel, and taping over the toe, then I wax it. I figure having the whole blade taped up helps protect it. For both the blade and the knob I use white tape on black sticks, black tape on light colored sticks, no real reason except I like how it looks. Taped up blade looks like this:

On the knob my tape job is real simple, just wrap tape down to about a glove width down, with no twisted grip, and for the knob itself I just wrap around with full width tape, not too many times.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
thedoc1019

toe to heel on the blade and for the knob, I put about enough tape for the gloves width, no grip, but put a medium sized knob on, about an inch in width

thedoc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Adhesive side in.

For the blade, two strips on the bottom of the blade first (I still use wood blades). Then heel-to-toe, where each strip is just barely overlapping the last strip. (As opposed to overlapping the last strip of tape at the halfway mark, which means you really have two layers of tape on top of your blade once your tape job is done.)

With my minimalist, single-layer tape job on the blade, I can feel the puck better, both as a goalie and skater. And as a goalie, when I deflect shots to the corner it feels like the puck is being deflected faster/harder. It's probably completely mental (a second layer of tape isn't going to absorb much kinetic energy), but it's what I do.

On the butt of the stick, I wrap a strip of tape around and around at the very top until the tape is about 1/2" thick. Then I wrap a single layer of tape down about 5", and write my number and a small kanji symbol on the tape with a sharpie. (here's an old, terrible cell phone picture, without my number on it).

On my goalie sticks, for a short period of time I used to tape a grip at the top of the paddle. When I found that the adhesive from the tape gunked up my blocker palm, I tried using grip tape. When the grip tape started sliding up the shaft of my stick, I gave up trying to put any kind of tape above the paddle.
I posted this on ****** hockey too and a goalie posted there, he says he tapes a grip at the mid-way point and puts baby powder on it to keep it from getting tacky.

Old
10-18-2010, 05:22 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I posted this on ****** hockey too and a goalie posted there, he says he tapes a grip at the mid-way point and puts baby powder on it to keep it from getting tacky.
There's a hockey *********? Why was I not aware of this?

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 06:01 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I do it pretty similar to the OP although I like a bigger knob and heating up the tape afterward with a stove or lighter (depending on where it's done).

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Cowbell232

White Renfrew tape, starting at the heel and working in half tape width movements to the over the toe, where I square the tape and squeeze the points and cut around the toe. Leaves the entire toe covered.

I take a puck and gently smooth it out. Then I scuff the bottom and top of the blade with a black line. Then I wax the bottom of the blade to the toe, and then a little wax on the rest of the tape. And I always use a scissor at the backhand side top.

As for the handle? I put a knob at the very top, maybe 1/2 inch? And then I tape down to just below where my top hand usually will go. Again using white Renfrew tape.

(This thread is going to make me want to tape my stick the toe to heel tomorrow when I play.)

Old
10-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Gretzky used friction tape and would put baby powder on it so it wouldn't be so sticky but would still give him grip

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
blueberrydanish

For the knob/top of my stick I started getting those Takimac...really like them and there seems to be little to no wear on my gloves or that nasty stink from the tape.

As for tapin the blade put a little strip across the bottom to start out and then start heel to toe. Start it out along the front side at the bottom and go up...then back down along the back...rinse repeat. At the end I square the tape off as if it was square toe(I have a round toe) and then cut off the excess so my toe is nice and covered. As for the thickness of it along my blade I really only do it the width of the tape as I go along so its only one layer of tape really besides along the bottom of my blades since I added on the extra piece to start with so it lasts me for the skate session.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Ozolinsh_27

I just use generic black stick tape on the blade once around with no strip along the bottom & cover it in stick wax, I feel the puck better that way - I'm a good stickhandler, in the past I used to put the strip along the bottom. As for the grip I also got rid of the spiral grip layer and just put a generic layer there too with about maybe 5-6 layers at the very top of my stick to be able to subtly feel the end of the stick in my glove.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 06:42 PM
WithOutPaperss

I do the "candy cane" style on the top of the stick, white tape...I usually tape the entire blade, from heel to toe but after watching this video I decided to try Toe to heel since I never seem to get off great shots....might as well try something new

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

i start at the toe, and go about halfway to 60% towards the heel.

for the the top grip. i use the few width of the tape go around maybe 15 times. then i just take a long piece of tape that goes down about 4-5 inches from where the knob is on each side of the stick (on the wider part of the stick of course) the thinner part, i leave bare. once i have it even, and tightly around the knob, i go another 15-20 times, and it makes a nice knob.. not giant or anything.

once done, I wax the living crap out of the knob and piece of tape on both sides, and it gives it a sort of leather look.. and is adds enough grip for my liking.. I used to do the spiral thing... but i think this way looks way classier.

black tape for the win.. I find the wax prevents a lot of the blackness from getting on your gloves... but if you use black tape.. it's going to mark your gloves up in some fashion now or later.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:34 PM
SouthpawTRK

I use Renfrew (white) on the blade going from heel to toe. I apply one strip of tape to the bottom of the blade and then proceed to wrap the blade from heel to toe. I also completely cover the end of the blade to avoid any chipping.

On the handle I also use the same tape as the blade. I wrap the tape to create a small knob and then create the "tape string" to create some contour. I then use the cohesive gauze tape that starts about a half inch above the bottom of the white tape on the handle and wrap it all the way up until it reaches the knob.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:46 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
Sometimes I use bladetape on my stick but when I'm not it varied from a normal heel to toe or I think how Erik Cole tapes or something, the 2 pieces of tape horizontally on the blade. My grip is very thin, a couple times around with tape and I'm done.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm about to try and find some Tacki Mac grips with the sand pattern. I like them when I used them, but wish they had a regular size knob.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

I recently made the switch to Tackimacs on the top of my stick, and so far I absolutely LOVE it. I'm using a black wrapped texture. It's simply awesome and well worth $5.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
I recently made the switch to Tackimacs on the top of my stick, and so far I absolutely LOVE it. I'm using a black wrapped texture. It's simply awesome and well worth $5.
Neat, where did you get them? I was on the website and might try them out.

Old
10-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Neat, where did you get them? I was on the website and might try them out.
I bought a stick from HockeyMonkey and grabbed one to go along with it. My LHS also has them I noticed. Definitely worth a try if you never had one.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Lario Melieux*

Another aspect of deciding whether to use black or white tape on the blade, besides the goalie being able to see the puck on your stick, is your peripheral vision when handling the puck.

Some guys prefer black tape, so they can see their blade in contrast to the white ice.
Some guys prefer white tape, so they can see the black puck on their white stick.

I've used black tape my whole life, one practice I switched to white tape, and I found that I had difficulty in stickhandling through defenders. I dunno... maybe it was just in my head.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:02 AM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm about to try and find some Tacki Mac grips with the sand pattern. I like them when I used them, but wish they had a regular size knob.
If the knob is too big you can always take a knife and shave off a little.

I love the Tacki mac. Less wear on the gloves, and better grip.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 08:22 AM
NJDwoot

Do some pros use Tacki-mac attack pads for the blade? Ive tried to look at how they tape their sticks and some look like one solid "pad"... were some I can clearly see the lines of tape around the blade.

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote