HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moen with Gomez-Gionta, Pouliot on 4th

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2010, 10:45 PM
  #151
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pretty sure my lines weren't that stupid based on the fact that we're seeing Pyatt and Moen on the 2nd line....

If you can try Pyatt and Moen on that line, pretty sure you could have Boyd play there and have Eller center the 3rd line.
I don't think Eller is defensively responsible enough to center the 3rd line yet. No rush there. Remember how long it took for pretty much everyone on this team to learn Martin's system. No reason to rush a rookie into an extremely important position in a somewhat complex system.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:47 PM
  #152
BeastScottThornton*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Pyatt? What a joke.

BeastScottThornton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:51 PM
  #153
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by linp View Post
I think Martin just wants to put some pressure on Gomez's line. Pouliot will get back to that line soon enough. All three need to step up, not just Pouliot.
That's a good point, too. Gomez and Gionta must realize that they are partially to blame for having to try a new guy every game with them. If they were playing that well, almost any of our players would have been good enough.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:52 PM
  #154
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Because a established top-6 winger cost cap space, and he didn't have any. So Gauthier went for option B: he counts on a handful of potential candidates (Pouliot, Eller, Paccioretty, others) to emerge and take the spot. Unfortunately it's a pumpy road and could take some time, and right now we're far from fixed, but we should be a little patient.
yup... legacy that Gainey left him with, a cap limit team with painfully large holes to fill.


After game 10 or so, if Martin hasn't been willing to re-insert Pouliot on to that line and let them play it out, I hope Gauthier offers O.Nolan a league minimum contract...
guy scored 16 last year, and 25 (in only 59 games) the year before... neither season was he playing with a playmaker as good as Gomez.

I know he's old and slowish, but unlike Guerin, he can still keep up. Might be the perfect 1 season stop-gap until some cap space opens up in the offseason allowing Gauthier more flexibility to add a top-6 winger.

much rather see Nolan lining up to Gomez/Gionta then moen/pyatt or whomever else will get a ride on the merry-go-round.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:01 AM
  #155
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
The hate for Pouliot is ridiculous. Hes a young player, and is looking pretty good out there. The expectations are high for someone who barely has a full NHL season under his belt. For a board that goes by the name of Hockey's Future, we sure seem to only care about the present.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:10 AM
  #156
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
yup... legacy that Gainey left him with, a cap limit team with painfully large holes to fill.


After game 10 or so, if Martin hasn't been willing to re-insert Pouliot on to that line and let them play it out, I hope Gauthier offers O.Nolan a league minimum contract...
guy scored 16 last year, and 25 (in only 59 games) the year before... neither season was he playing with a playmaker as good as Gomez.

I know he's old and slowish, but unlike Guerin, he can still keep up. Might be the perfect 1 season stop-gap until some cap space opens up in the offseason allowing Gauthier more flexibility to add a top-6 winger.

much rather see Nolan lining up to Gomez/Gionta then moen/pyatt or whomever else will get a ride on the merry-go-round.
I completely agree, Nolan would be a very good stop-gap. Every year you think the guy is going to hang em up and he pulls out another decent season. The guy just knows how to score.

I think a move like this also becomes easier to envision if AK keeps up his great play. If after say 20? games he's still hot, suddenly management is thinking, "well if we want to re-sign Markov, Gorges and now AK, we probably aren't going to re-sign Pouliot also." It will be easier for them to swallow their pride and deal Pouliot at that point.
But lets hope things get cleared up before any of that happens...

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:17 AM
  #157
BeastScottThornton*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
The hate for Pouliot is ridiculous. Hes a young player, and is looking pretty good out there. The expectations are high for someone who barely has a full NHL season under his belt. For a board that goes by the name of Hockey's Future, we sure seem to only care about the present.
Don't you think there's a reason he's 24 and only has one season under his belt? He's just not a very good hockey player.

BeastScottThornton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:27 AM
  #158
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
The hate for Pouliot is ridiculous. Hes a young player, and is looking pretty good out there. The expectations are high for someone who barely has a full NHL season under his belt. For a board that goes by the name of Hockey's Future, we sure seem to only care about the present.
First of all this board is all about hate. It's the one thing i find so weird about this board: you have to love certain players on your team and hate others. It makes no sense. Personally, to a certain extent, I like all our players. In the case of Pouliot it's a confidence issue, and you can't hate a guy for that.

Also, like i've said earlier Pouliot playing with Lapierre and Halpern is not a huge demotion, and if the coach sees what he wants to see from Pouliot, he'll be back on the Gomez line in no time.

I'm in a hockey pool, 32 players deep, and i know a thing or two about players being bounced from a top line and having to play their way back on. TJ Galiardi was on the top line almost all last year with Stastny but this year he found himself on the 3rd line for a couple of games. A couple of games later, after some good hard work he's back up there on the 1st line.

Bottom line is that yes Gomez and Gionta haven't been great, but Pouliot has just not been strong enough with and without the puck to fit on the line thus far. Show the coach some good work ethic and drive over the next game or two and all that can change.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:32 AM
  #159
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDraper View Post
Don't you think there's a reason he's 24 and only has one season under his belt? He's just not a very good hockey player.
In Minessota he was never given a fair chance, and closing the books on a player just because of his age is ridiculous, especially since he's only 24

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:57 AM
  #160
BeastScottThornton*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
In Minessota he was never given a fair chance, and closing the books on a player just because of his age is ridiculous, especially since he's only 24
Again, think about why he was never given a chance. Do you think they purposely held him back because they didn't like his face? Let's be real for a second, he wasn't good enough.

And for the record, when someone brings up the excuse of him only having one full season under his belt, it's relevant to bring up his age.

BeastScottThornton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:30 AM
  #161
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDraper View Post
Again, think about why he was never given a chance. Do you think they purposely held him back because they didn't like his face? Let's be real for a second, he wasn't good enough.

And for the record, when someone brings up the excuse of him only having one full season under his belt, it's relevant to bring up his age.
If the coach doesn't want to use Pouliot on the 2nd line, no problem. But, can we keep in mind that they are facing Martin Brodeur tomorrow night, you know, the guy who owns the Habs and has a tendency to shut them out in Montreal.

All the Devils need to do is focus on shutting down the Pleks line, and then overplay Gionta because Pyatt, a 4th liner, isn't exactly a scoring threat. I'm not arguing for Pouliot to be there, but there has to be a player with more offensive upside than Pyatt that they can use.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:41 AM
  #162
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
The hate for Pouliot is ridiculous. Hes a young player, and is looking pretty good out there. The expectations are high for someone who barely has a full NHL season under his belt. For a board that goes by the name of Hockey's Future, we sure seem to only care about the present.
I am aware that he has played decently since the beginning of the season but he is not producing enough for deserving top 6 minutes.

1 goal last 30 games
7 pts last 35 games (that's almost half of a season).

That's not top 6 numbers.

He can continue to work hard and play well on the third line, because you can also produce on the third line. But its time to try something else. If he finds his scoring touch, it would never be too late to put him back with G&G.

He had ONE hot streak for us but since then, he's been an absolute non-factor.. that playing the majority of the games on the top 6.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:43 AM
  #163
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
If the coach doesn't want to use Pouliot on the 2nd line, no problem. But, can we keep in mind that they are facing Martin Brodeur tomorrow night, you know, the guy who owns the Habs and has a tendency to shut them out in Montreal.

All the Devils need to do is focus on shutting down the Pleks line, and then overplay Gionta because Pyatt, a 4th liner, isn't exactly a scoring threat. I'm not arguing for Pouliot to be there, but there has to be a player with more offensive upside than Pyatt that they can use.
Luckily, with Volchenkov out, the Devils don't really have a shut down pairing or shutdown trio to stop the Plex line. You think we got it bad? After 6 games they've already broken up Parise and Kovalchuk are trying 3 scoring lines. Every team goes through growing pains to start the year to find the perfect lines. WE WILL LIVE.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:45 AM
  #164
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I am aware that he has played decently since the beginning of the season but he is not producing enough for deserving top 6 minutes.

1 goal last 30 games
7 pts last 35 games (that's almost half of a season).

That's not top 6 numbers.

He can continue to work hard and play well on the third line, because you can also produce on the third line. But its time to try something else. If he finds his scoring touch, it would never be too late to put him back with G&G.

He had ONE hot streak for us but since then, he's been an absolute non-factor.. that playing the majority of the games on the top 6.
That's all i've been trying to say for the last kajillion posts.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:59 AM
  #165
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Luckily, with Volchenkov out, the Devils don't really have a shut down pairing or shutdown trio to stop the Plex line. You think we got it bad? After 6 games they've already broken up Parise and Kovalchuk are trying 3 scoring lines. Every team goes through growing pains to start the year to find the perfect lines. WE WILL LIVE.
That is the problem. Placing a Darche, Moen, Pyatt or any scrapper on top 6 lines just won't work. It's simply not their role. You know that even if it works for a game or two, another solution will be required down the line.
I rather see him make a call up than see any scrapper on the top lines. It's ridiculous.

You don't want to place Pouliot or Eller there?..fine, but find me a better solution now and not just for a game or two.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:22 AM
  #166
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That is the problem. Placing a Darche, Moen, Pyatt or any scrapper on top 6 lines just won't work. It's simply not their role. You know that even if it works for a game or two, another solution will be required down the line.
I rather see him make a call up than see any scrapper on the top lines. It's ridiculous.

You don't want to place Pouliot or Eller there?..fine, but find me a better solution now and not just for a game or two.
Absolutely agree.

I don't know why Martin insists to use scrapper on that lines. It will maybe work for one or two games and he will have to find another one. How does he want to create a chemistry when the line keeps changing every 1-2 games.

I would at least try Eller there. What's there to lose? Will Pyatt/Darche/Moen bring more offense than Eller, I highly doubt so. And if it doesn't work with Eller, I would call up our best offensive forward from the farm and put it with G&G.

It's always the same story. When asked about why Moen on that line, Martin will say: "Moen will bring a physical touch on that line", when someone will ask why Pyatt on that line, he will probably say: "Pyatt brings stability on that line with his good defensive play". Will Martin wake up and use an offensive player to complete an OFFENSIVE LINE.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:12 AM
  #167
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
JM should try:

Kostitsyn - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Eller - Boyd - Lapierre
Pyatt- Halpern - Moen

Gill - Jorges
Hamrlik - Subban
Picard - Spacek

Price
Auld

Note: I would put Kosititsyn on his (natural) left wing with Gomez and Gionta because he hot this season and try Cammalleri on the right side with Plekanec and Pouliot since Cammalleri has a better shot from that side (one timer) and Pouliot can bring size to the line.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:20 AM
  #168
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,119
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
JM should try:

Kostitsyn - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Plekanec - Cammalleri

Eller - Boyd - Lapierre
Pyatt- Halpern - Moen

Gill - Jorges
Hamrlik - Subban
Picard - Spacek

Price
Auld

Note: I would put Kosititsyn on his (natural) left wing with Gomez and Gionta because he hot this season and try Cammalleri on the right side with Plekanec and Pouliot since Cammalleri has a better shot from that side (one timer) and Pouliot can bring size to the line.
I kindly disagree.

Kostitsyn throws his body more then Pouliot does, so adding Pouliot's "size" does nothing really, in terms of the physical factor on that line. And I wouldn't feel too comfortable breaking up the top line, which has been contributing the most so far, this season. The Habs problem is on the second line, so fixing it shouldn't have to include breaking up the only top line that is clicking.

It all really falls down on Pouliot in this situation. Without the puck, he's playing well and he's playing smart, but with the puck, he hasn't been producing. Perhaps a lack of confidence, or maybe something else, but whatever it is, it's working against him. He has all the chances a top 6 player can get to put up points, but the finish isn't there.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
  #169
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Looking at all comments Martin has made on the situation I think he he want that Gionta and Gomez start going well by themselves that's why he is putting grinder with them and when they will be producing he will put Pouliot and Eller there to also produce. By this he isn't letting a young player having all the blame on that line when it doesn't work.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:11 PM
  #170
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDraper View Post
Again, think about why he was never given a chance. Do you think they purposely held him back because they didn't like his face? Let's be real for a second, he wasn't good enough.

And for the record, when someone brings up the excuse of him only having one full season under his belt, it's relevant to bring up his age.
His father died when he left for Minnesota. He was left to deal with it on his own, and it affected Pouliot being away from his family. I have a friend who had the same thing happen to him while he was playing junior hockey, and was 19, and took the rest of the season off although being one of the better players on his team. These types of things stunt development. He's now closer to home, he's doing well, making nice passes, going to the net, and is going to take some time to adjust. These things take time. You mention 24, tell me how Plekanec was doing at 23-24. The thing is... although everyone is hating on him, he still remains the best player on the G&G line lately.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:21 PM
  #171
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That is the problem. Placing a Darche, Moen, Pyatt or any scrapper on top 6 lines just won't work. It's simply not their role. You know that even if it works for a game or two, another solution will be required down the line.
I rather see him make a call up than see any scrapper on the top lines. It's ridiculous.

You don't want to place Pouliot or Eller there?..fine, but find me a better solution now and not just for a game or two.
There is no better solution. this is the solution for a game or two. things will work themselves out. chill.personally i would love to see palushaj get called up but he's injured. but even if you do call up someone, who do you bench? There isn't anyone who is really playing badly on offence, and on top of that we've won our last two games. If we lose the next 3 games and get no production from the Gomez line, well then you can start worrying. Right now, what's the point?

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:07 PM
  #172
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
The hate for Pouliot is ridiculous. Hes a young player, and is looking pretty good out there. The expectations are high for someone who barely has a full NHL season under his belt. For a board that goes by the name of Hockey's Future, we sure seem to only care about the present.
The hate will only remain on Pouliot until Price has a bad game.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:15 PM
  #173
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
The hate will only remain on Pouliot until Price has a bad game.
Then it will be "P&P can GTFO asap

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
  #174
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
There is no better solution. this is the solution for a game or two. things will work themselves out. chill.personally i would love to see palushaj get called up but he's injured. but even if you do call up someone, who do you bench? There isn't anyone who is really playing badly on offence, and on top of that we've won our last two games. If we lose the next 3 games and get no production from the Gomez line, well then you can start worrying. Right now, what's the point?
There isn't a better solution?..You think having Pyatt or Moen on the top lines is better than having Pouliot, Eller or an offensive minded call up there??...Are you on crack?

Who do you bench??...Martin had no problems leaving Pyatt out of the line up before. Oh right, you go from being a healthy scratch to playing on the 2nd line, that's the only viable ''solution''.

So we have to wait for a loss before realizing that Pyatt and Moen won't work down the line??. It's a very short term solution, for a game or two. Turned out good for us as we won both. Why push our luck??...Why wait until we start losing to fix the same god damn problem??..
The point is to have two solid offensive lines, not a top 5 and a filler who's used to playing bottom line roles. That is retarded.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:45 PM
  #175
Roke
Registered User
 
Roke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
On the bright side, tonight Pyatt broke his 2-game streak of not being on the ice for a Habs' scoring chance (1 scoring chance in his last 3). I'm pretty sure he was on for 2 early in the first. I'm looking forward to seeing the scoring chances.

Martin's changes to the lines after 2 periods tonight told you all you needed to know about Pyatt being on the first line. Habs needing to out-score the Devils to not lose and he puts Eller in the top 6. You would think that if you wanted to win a game (which, last I checked was done by out-scoring the opposition), you would have had an optimal lineup out there from the start.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.