HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Brassard/Filatov/Voracek line thread

Old
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

vCash: 500

i think it was blahblah that suggested it last week, but i'm not wondering if maybe switching nikki for juice might help jumpstart something...putting another playmaker with brass and jake maybe ignite something there while getting nikki up with the defensively responsible nash and vermette....???

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
blahblah

I originally said Nikki and Nash, with the thought of Juice and Nikki playing together as they have tended to feed off each other on the PP.

Now that Nash scored two goals last night, I doubt we'll see anything change with that top line.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
blahblah

I am not getting on Brassard for his lack of production. Much like I am not dumping on Vermette for his lack of production.

Brassard getting a good look in transition is to be expected as a normal part of his game. Not something to be celebrated or to be viewed as hopeful. It is not a sign of better things to come.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
BluejacketNut

The whole kid line is essentially worthless. As a line, I dont think they have any points at all. Filatov's 2 assists came on Juices power play goals (i think, but not 100% sure), Brassards assist came on Dmac's goal, and im not sure where Jake got his from. It was a nice experiment, but its time to try something else

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Brassards assist came on Dmac's goal, and im not sure where Jake got his from. It was a nice experiment, but its time to try something else
Same play, seconds after a PP. It wasn't like it was a real 5 on 5 goal.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
WALLY

How do you "try someting else" when the 1st & 3rd lines are pretty much set?

Everyone looked pretty sloppy. As long as we get the points, give them some time to get their act together. They (2nd line) looked good/dangerous in Sweden... WTF happened?

WALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:46 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLY View Post

Everyone looked pretty sloppy. As long as we get the points, give them some time to get their act together. They (2nd line) looked good/dangerous in Sweden... WTF happened?
We looked like crap when we were winning last year. Sorry, not falling for that one again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Now that Nash scored two goals last night, I doubt we'll see anything change with that top line.
"Set" is very very debatable. However, the above pretty much sums it up.

Old
10-21-2010, 12:06 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

They looked dangerous when they were taking almost no shots?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010020006

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2010020022

6 shots in two games. I think your memory is failing you.

The lines are set? In stone? Even teams with very good first and second lines mix it up when things are not clicking. Why would this team be any different?

I'm all in favor of trying to get these kids out of their slump, but I don't think that keeping 3 struggling players on a line is necessarily the way to go about it.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I wrote it here, what do you think put Filatov on the center and Brassard on the wing?

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:11 PM
CapnCornelius

Despite Filatov saying the right thing when he was drafted (i.e. I can play center) based on the fact that it looked like we needed a center more than a winger, I'm not sure I want to experiment with re-training a guy who hasn't played center consistently for some time. It is a very difficult position to play at the NHL level and I'm not sure that a player who is struggling right now needs the additional complications of trying to play center.

Old
10-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I wrote it here, what do you think put Filatov on the center and Brassard on the wing?
Not a good idea.

There's no way Filatov can handle being a center at this point in time. And Brassard doesn't strike me as the type of guy who'd benefit from a move to wing.

10-21-2010, 12:25 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
The whole kid line is essentially worthless. As a line, I dont think they have any points at all. Filatov's 2 assists came on Juices power play goals (i think, but not 100% sure), Brassards assist came on Dmac's goal, and im not sure where Jake got his from. It was a nice experiment, but its time to try something else
Perhaps they should fire Arniel? After all, last year many wanted Hitchcock fired because he didn't let the young one run so they could demonstrate their mad skillz. So far, they are terrible.

Brassard is no better, Voracek is worse, and Filatov was benched after his delay of game penalty. He had 10:49 TOI.

Where's the finger pointing and *****ing? This MUST be Arniel's inability to relate to young players and get the best from them.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
We looked like crap when we were winning last year. Sorry, not falling for that one again.

"Set" is very very debatable. However, the above pretty much sums it up.
I'm still trying to follow. Is it just a matter of everybody being wrong?

There are holes in the roster. Arniel is implementing a new system in spite of them because, really, what else is there to do?

Should we hope he tinkers with who plays with whom or not?

Old
10-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Quote:

Remember, Moreau is going to be out for a significant amount of time.

Not sure if I agree with that statement. They weren't half as bad as some on here make them out to be but they weren't exactly good.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Perhaps they should fire Arniel? After all, last year many wanted Hitchcock fired because he didn't let the young one run so they could demonstrate their mad skillz. So far, they are terrible.

Brassard is no better, Voracek is worse, and Filatov was benched after his delay of game penalty. He had 10:49 TOI.

Where's the finger pointing and *****ing? This MUST be Arniel's inability to relate to young players and get the best from them.
I don't follow this either. Are you sure BJNut was part of everybody who wanted the previous coach fired because he wouldn't play the kids together?

Or are you just pissed because there's no "Fire Arniel" thread yet?

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:38 PM
JacketsFanWest

The problem with the Kid Line is that they've all been looking to pass and make the cute play. None of them are very strong on the puck. As soon as any of them are pressured, they tend to try to force a pass. Teams know they can get to them.

Jake did a decent job carrying the puck and going for a wrap-around in the game last night, but none of them are doing that on a consistent basis. All their shots are from the perimeter. No one is going to the crease. They're looking for a pretty tic-tac-toe play and not trying to make something happen.

They're all too similar of players. They need someone who's more physical and is stronger on the puck. The problem is the way MacKenzie has been playing, he should be the 2nd line center. But what happens to Brassard?

Perhaps something like this, distributing the kids onto the other three lines:

Filatov - MacKenzie - Clark
Voracek- Pahlsson - Umberger
Wilson - Brassard - Dorsett

Considering MacKenzie, Clark and Dorsett all have as many or more points than the "kids", is is really a demotion to play with them?

I'd like to see what Wilson can do, since he did well in pre-season. If he can center the 4th line, then perhaps MacKenzie could move to wing on the 2nd line (something like MacKenzie - Brassard - Voracek?)

It'd be nice if Wilson fits into Arniel's system like MacKenzie does, and he can be a replacement for Boll and Murray.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:43 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

IMo yes.
1. He played a center even in KHL or WCJ.
2. He has an excelent vision better than Brassard or Johansen.
3. He knows FO.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

The 2nd line seems to be the dominant issue this year. Hence the dedicated thread.

I think Voracek and Brassard need to be separated. Not blaming either of them in particular, just haven't been impressed with either of them.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
The 2nd line seems to be the dominant issue this year. Hence the dedicated thread.

I think Voracek and Brassard need to be separated. Not blaming either of them in particular, just haven't been impressed with either of them.
If it were me, I'd swap MacKenzie for Brassard or Filatov for Dorsett. Either one puts D-Mac and Nikki together.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:25 PM
BluejacketNut

The problem with the kid line is we're setting them up as the 2nd line on an NHL team. Theyre our youngest "skill" and in no way can match up physically with #2 centers, or d set. Theyre not savy enough in their young age to be able to really fool defenders (think Zherdev toe drag...over, and over and over...not saying they do that, but what moves do they really have?). Having them all on the same line was a fun test in the pre season, but now that the season is in full swing, its not a good idea to have 3 of your youngest players as a 2nd line in the NHL

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I'm still trying to follow. Is it just a matter of everybody being wrong?

There are holes in the roster. Arniel is implementing a new system in spite of them because, really, what else is there to do?

Should we hope he tinkers with who plays with whom or not?
I'm pretty sure all I said was that since Nash scored two goals any real temptation to mess with the top line is probably going to be put on hold.

The most logical choice is to move RJ up, but what does that really buy us long term? IMHO we are stuck until Howson makes a move or Brass figures it out.

Does that answer anything? I'm not even sure I understood your question to be honest.

Old
10-21-2010, 02:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
If it were me, I'd swap MacKenzie for Brassard or Filatov for Dorsett. Either one puts D-Mac and Nikki together.
Not that I really care, but Nikki didn't like being with D-Mac at all last year

Old
10-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Doug19

I think putting Juice on that line would do that line good. Right now they seem to be moving a million miles an hour once they get into the offensive zone, and maybe putting a player on that line who can slow the play down would help them tremendously.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:31 PM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I think putting Juice on that line would do that line good. Right now they seem to be moving a million miles an hour once they get into the offensive zone, and maybe putting a player on that line who can slow the play down would help them tremendously.
I wouldn't be opposed to trying that, and moving either Jake or Nik up to see how they play with Nash.

Might be worth giving it a shot.

megashock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:43 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
The most logical choice is to move RJ up, but what does that really buy us long term? IMHO we are stuck until Howson makes a move or Brass figures it out.
Generally, moving up RJ would make sense. The problem? How do you do that now with Moreau out? Suddenly our third line would look pretty weak, I'm afraid.