HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Doughty cleared to return to full hockey activity, expected to play Thursday

Old
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Koss

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Koss
Your guy turned into him. Cole protected himself. case closed. Do we really want a culture where players are being suspended for playing hockey every day.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:07 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
I'd also expect that the next person who puts a questionable hit on Doughty is made an example of. I don't care if it costs us a 5 minute major and we lose a game because of it.
... Think you need to take another look at what you're saying. I know that there's bound to be a ton of over-reaction the day after something like this takes place, but damn.

People get hit; they get injured. That's part of the game. It wasn't a dirty hit; in fact there's a case to be made that Drew initiated the movement toward the collision. If Doughty would have laid a hit on one of the Hurricanes like that, we'd be praising him. I'm sure Doughty's learned to be more careful out there; to not be caught sleeping when skating over the opponent's blue line. That's a no-no. No question he knew this going in, of course, but apparently he needed a reminder. Know where everyone is, and keep your head on a swivel out there.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
bral
Go Kings!

"What's this ********?!" I missed the game, and my Tivo didn't record so i'm just waking up to this crap. How was there no reaction from our team? This happens in the 1st period and nobody comes out and sends Cole a message the entire game?!*sigh* I hope Lombardi had another "it was loud" closed door meeting with this bunch of sissies.

http://lee.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/8.jpg

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:15 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
"What's this ********?!" I missed the game, and my Tivo didn't record so i'm just waking up to this crap. How was there no reaction from our team? This happens in the 1st period and nobody comes out and sends Cole a message the entire game?!*sigh* I hope Lombardi had another "it was loud" closed door meeting with this bunch of sissies.
I don't think anyone from the bench saw the hit - that's what TM seemed to indicate post-game. Since it would have been unclear who did it and whether there was intent to injure, they probably held off until they could see the replay. This definitely wasn't as blatant as the Thrasher game a few years back where Artykin (sp?) ran Doughty. Heck, those of us watching the Kings feed didn't figure out what was going on until an hour after the game.

I blame lack of retaliation on lack of information at the time.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Jebus
Hey you guys!

I don't know how anybody in their right mind can watch the clip of the incident and say it was just a "collision" or "accidental."

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I don't think anyone from the bench saw the hit - that's what TM seemed to indicate post-game. Since it would have been unclear who did it and whether there was intent to injure, they probably held off until they could see the replay. This definitely wasn't as blatant as the Thrasher game a few years back where Artykin (sp?) ran Doughty. Heck, those of us watching the Kings feed didn't figure out what was going on until an hour after the game.

I understand but this happened in the first period. Is there no communication whatsoever between our players,coaches,trainers? Nobody goes into the locker room and says, "what happened to Doughts?" and when the response comes,"Cole caught him", that should be enough. Even if it seems minor at the time its important that a message is sent, especially if it's our best player. I mean this 20yr old kid is only the best thing to happen to this franchise in 17 years god forbid we overreact in protecting him.

Last edited by bral: 10-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old
10-21-2010, 10:46 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
I understand but this happened in the first period. Is there no communication whatsoever between our players,coaches,trainers? Nobody goes into the locker room and says, "what happened to Doughts?" and when the response comes,"Cole caught him", that should be enough. Even if it seems minor at the time its important that a message is sent, especially if it's our best player. I mean this 20yr old kid is only the best thing to happen to this franchise in 17 years god forbid we overreact in protecting him.
I'm sure they knew it was Cole, but they were probably unsure if Doughty ran into Cole, or if Cole used a elbow/shoulder/fist or if it was simply 2 guys running into each other. With hindsight and slow motion replay, its much more clear what happened. Look at what happened to Brown, when he was pushing and shoving- DD2 jumped right in cause he saw what was going on. All I'm saying is that it wasn't clear what happened to DD until after the game. And don't get me wrong, I'm all about head hunting next time we see Cole, whether its next year or the year after.

Old
10-21-2010, 10:50 AM
alpa

NOOOOOWAYYYY!

Not in a million years can you convince me that the hit wasn't intentional.

He will be suspended 4 games or more and a fine of some ridiculous amount which he can pay without being "punished".

I''ll give Doughty a week and then his back. (pure speculation since he didn't show the "heavy signs of serious concussion".)

Really don't believe anyone would let it pass if they saw it happen, and as others mentioned not even broadcasters reacted.

..and I'm sure Doughty couldn't tell because he had no idea what was coming until it were too late.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Quattro

Quote:

I know I was at the game and didn't see it. No one did. We noticed Drew wasn't on the ice in the 2nd period but no one knew why until Hammond posted "upper body injury". I didn't know it was a hit from Cole until I heard it on the radio post game show on the drive home.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:08 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
I'm sure they knew it was Cole, but they were probably unsure if Doughty ran into Cole, or if Cole used a elbow/shoulder/fist or if it was simply 2 guys running into each other. With hindsight and slow motion replay, its much more clear what happened. Look at what happened to Brown, when he was pushing and shoving- DD2 jumped right in cause he saw what was going on. All I'm saying is that it wasn't clear what happened to DD until after the game. And don't get me wrong, I'm all about head hunting next time we see Cole, whether its next year or the year after.

I believe your 100% right, the team was waiting for word on what exactly happened. That's part of my frusration, let's not wait guys lets just react let's protect each other spontaneously and let it be known right/wrong clean/dirty there is going to be a response from the Kings. I'm also not saying lets go out there and do anything dirty let's go out there and send a message with a hit or fists which are both legal parts of the game, yes we'll be penalized, yes we may lose a game because of it, but yes it will protect our star players from further incidents. And this little tirade is not directed at you Driller in any way.

Ok. Like I said I missed the game so I didn't get the "feel"(or lack of feel) for the incident. So maybe i'm overreacting a bit.

Last edited by bral: 10-21-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old
10-21-2010, 11:17 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
I believe your 100% right, the team was waiting for word on what exactly happened. That's part of my frusration, let's not wait guys lets just react let's protect each other spontaneously and let it be known right/wrong clean/dirty there is going to be a response from the Kings. I'm also not saying lets go out there and do anything dirty let's go out there and send a message with a hit or fists which are both legal and part of the game, yes we'll be penalized, yes we may lose a game because of it, but yes it will protect our star players from further incidents. And this tirade is not directed at you Driller in any way.http://hfboards.com/images/smilies/smiles.gif
All good- we're thinking on the same lines...

Old
10-21-2010, 11:24 AM
BamBam1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
Your guy turned into him. Cole protected himself. case closed. Do we really want a culture where players are being suspended for playing hockey every day.
No way. Cole might have made it look incidental, but if you watch the whole clip in slow-mo, he is looking at Drew the whole way. It's not like he suddenly turned, and there was Drew. Intentional late hit from the blindside.

BamBam1031 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:26 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
It wasn't a dirty hit;
Yes, it was.

"Dirty" is defined by the rules.

The rules say you can't hit a player who doesn't have the puck,

Doughty didn't have the puck.

Its black and white.

Quote:
in fact there's a case to be made that Drew initiated the movement toward the collision.
No, there isn't. Doughty was watching the puck. Cole was watching Doughty.

Does Doughty need to keep his head up? Yes, he should. That hasn't nothing to do with the fact that Cole targeted him and went after him long after Doughty had gotten rid of the puck.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Leaning in with the shoulder is not illegal; targeting the head is illegal. Perfect example a couple games ago, Chris Letang crushed a guy with a shoulder to shoulder hit and it looked a lot worse than it was in regular motion. Partly because the weasel had a loose helmet and it flew off. The worst thing about this hit was the timing (late).

I think Cole was going for the same kind of shoulder-to-shoulder hit (the contact was definitely initiated by him IMO, not incidental or "bracing for and unexpected collision"), but Doughty's head wasn't all the way up and they collided. This isn't engineering. Sometimes you make an attempt to hit a moving object and you don't hit the part you expect. The question is, should the league care about a player's intentions? My answer is no; not if they're attempting to punish any type of hits to the head / chin / neck area for safety reasons. Not unless the hit is obvious intent to injure (swinging the stick, jumping into a guy shoulder first, face into boards, etc).

This is one of those grey areas the league is going to have a hard time enforcing because there's no obvious violation here. So if they suspend him for a game, then people will ***** that it's because he hit Doughty and not some lesser profile player. If they don't suspend him then Kings fans feel they get screwed because the message is sent that the league isn't protecting their guys enough etc.

Personally I would call Cole into the league offices and give him a talking to and let him know that next one, he's not getting the benefit of the doubt and leave it at that. Then if he does it again (same kind of hit) sit him for 10 games and see if that wakes him up.

To me the real problem here is the league isn't stating the obvious which should be "it doesn't matter what your intention was; if you hit someone shoulder-to-head/neck, you're putting another player's career in jeopardy and you will sit. Just like it doesn't matter if you don't intend to whack someone in the head with your stick during a scrum. Control your hits like you control your stick or you will get harsh penalties." And these wimpy 3-5 gamers are not the right amount. If you want to send a message, sit a guy for 8 or 10 games. Then most likely it will only take one offense for the message to be received and a player will be more selective as to how and when he hits a guy on the open ice.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
"Dirty" is defined by the rules.

The rules say you can't hit a player who doesn't have the puck,
... Do the rules say you can't finish off a check? How much time elapsed between Doughty losing possession of the puck and the hit? About a second?

Whatever, like I said up there I'm sure you wouldn't be saying it was a dirty hit if Doughty delivered it. Over-reaction is the theme here, I get it.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Leaning in with the shoulder is not illegal; targeting the head is illegal. Perfect example a couple games ago, Chris Letang crushed a guy with a shoulder to shoulder hit and it looked a lot worse than it was in regular motion. Partly because the weasel had a loose helmet and it flew off. The worst thing about this hit was the timing (late).

I think Cole was going for the same kind of shoulder-to-shoulder hit (the contact was definitely initiated by him IMO, not incidental or "bracing for and unexpected collision"), but Doughty's head wasn't all the way up and they collided. This isn't engineering. Sometimes you make an attempt to hit a moving object and you don't hit the part you expect. The question is, should the league care about a player's intentions? My answer is no; not if they're attempting to punish any type of hits to the head / chin / neck area for safety reasons. Not unless the hit is obvious intent to injure (swinging the stick, jumping into a guy shoulder first, face into boards, etc).

This is one of those grey areas the league is going to have a hard time enforcing because there's no obvious violation here. So if they suspend him for a game, then people will ***** that it's because he hit Doughty and not some lesser profile player. If they don't suspend him then Kings fans feel they get screwed because the message is sent that the league isn't protecting their guys enough etc.

Personally I would call Cole into the league offices and give him a talking to and let him know that next one, he's not getting the benefit of the doubt and leave it at that. Then if he does it again (same kind of hit) sit him for 10 games and see if that wakes him up.

To me the real problem here is the league isn't stating the obvious which should be "it doesn't matter what your intention was; if you hit someone shoulder-to-head/neck, you're putting another player's career in jeopardy and you will sit. Just like it doesn't matter if you don't intend to whack someone in the head with your stick during a scrum. Control your hits like you control your stick or you will get harsh penalties." And these wimpy 3-5 gamers are not the right amount. If you want to send a message, sit a guy for 8 or 10 games. Then most likely it will only take one offense for the message to be received and a player will be more selective as to how and when he hits a guy on the open ice.

Other than being late I don't have a problem with the actual hit.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
And these wimpy 3-5 gamers are not the right amount. If you want to send a message, sit a guy for 8 or 10 games. Then most likely it will only take one offense for the message to be received and a player will be more selective as to how and when he hits a guy on the open ice.
I completely agree with this.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
... Do the rules say you can't finish off a check? How much time elapsed between Doughty losing possession of the puck and the hit? About a second?

Whatever, like I said up there I'm sure you wouldn't be saying it was a dirty hit if Doughty delivered it. Over-reaction is the theme here, I get it.
If Doughty hadn't been hurt on the play, I don't think anyone would have even realized that he got hit.

When I watch the video, I see Cole turn to follow the puck, realize that Doughty is there, and reposition his upper body so that he doesn't get trucked. Can't blame the guy for trying to protect himself, it's unfortunate that Doughty didn't do the same and ended up taking the worst of the collision.

Here's a good example of another play where this happened. No penalty was called:

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

Rules are rules, no matter what color my glasses are and you being sure of something doesn't mean much since you're wrong here. That hit is late regardless of whether my player is the one getting hurt or doing the hurting.

There was another hit in the game (I believe by Richardson) that was similar but less violent. I said to my friend "Richardson has to be careful, that hit was pretty late."

Its laughable that you think only people who agree with you are capable of seeing things without bias.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
If Doughty hadn't been hurt on the play, I don't think anyone would have even realized that he got hit.

When I watch the video, I see Cole turn to follow the puck, realize that Doughty is there, and reposition his upper body so that he doesn't get trucked. Can't blame the guy for trying to protect himself, it's unfortunate that Doughty didn't do the same and ended up taking the worst of the collision.

Here's a good example of another play where this happened. No penalty was called:

That's a bad example Josh, as is this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKmYWy-gBU.

Coles hit on Doughty is somewhere inbetween, both in the sense of timing and intention.

Old
10-21-2010, 12:16 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Barry says:

"Doughty's fine - most likely to miss just tonight's game"

He's been right before a few times about injuries so hopefully this is true. Im still convinced his source is the team trainer.

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:18 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Barry says:

"Doughty's fine - most likely to miss just tonight's game"

He's been right before a few times about injuries so hopefully this is true. Im still convinced his source is the team trainer.
He does seem to be right more often then not regarding injuries.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:29 PM
ShattStar03

I don't care whether or not Cole gets suspended, I just want Doughty to be healthy.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Scary comment on the Jackets board.

Oh my...
Boy, teams have really been making a point to go after Drew. He's taken some big hits. It's been really working so I don't see the rest of the league stopping it. I'd like to see him talk a little less crap.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I don't care whether or not Cole gets suspended, I just want Doughty to be healthy.
Word.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote