HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Wild Fan Possible Lawsuit? How would you react?

Old
10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
McNasty

vCash: 500
I think his best bet is to sue the Arena for not having a barrier that would have prevented this type of thing. It's pretty clear it's a cash grab, but unfortunately that's the society we live in.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:11 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

If I were in his position, I'd threaten legal action and then go for a settlement.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:20 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I think his best bet is to sue the Arena for not having a barrier that would have prevented this type of thing. It's pretty clear it's a cash grab, but unfortunately that's the society we live in.
Which would lead to a ****** new barrier in all of the arenas.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
Except in real life you can't hit people either. I'm sure it feels nice to be the tough guy and think you are the man, but really, the other guy is going to laugh all the way to the courtroom (and bank). Simple as that.

Does the internet pick on you so much you want to hit people?
In real life if you taunt someone there is a distinct possibility that you could get a whoopin'. I want to hit you upside the head for being so naive.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
In real life if you taunt someone there is a distinct possibility that you could get a whoopin'. I want to hit you upside the head for being so naive.
And if you hit someone there is a distinct possibility you get nailed for it.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Which is why he should get nothing. You open your mouth and you deserve what you get.

Old
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
He didn't hit him. He tugged at his shirt. If he's going to get money from this in legal action the NHL should appoint someone to actually hit him.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Which would lead to a ****** new barrier in all of the arenas.
They already have them. They're retractable and are supposed to come out any time a player goes up and down the tunnel. The arena operators just need to get their **** together.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
99% of the time if one individual taunts another and a fight breaks out, one dude hits another, there is no lawsuit. The fact that this is a sitution where there is easy money it makes it OK to sue. Lawsuits are the demise of society and people who open their mouth and act like dinks deserve a good shot in the chops. In this incident all he did was grab a shirt. The wussification of America ladies and gents.

Old
10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
Legal action? Don't talk about...Legal action? You kiddin' me? Legal action?
He got his feelings hurt after acting tough with an NHL athlete....boofrggin'hoo, here is a dollar, go find someone who cares.

Old
10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Terence Peterman

This guy's a *****. He might have a point and, legally, a case, but it's really just a waste of time and assets for everyone but this doucher.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:57 AM
syc

If Canadian laws allowed it then yes and 95% of the people here would too if they had the chance. It's easy to say no when it's not real.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:02 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Youtube blocked at work.

From this:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...105418468.html

Sounds like he reached over the penalty box after a fight and grabbed a fan. Stupid move, gotta keep your composure. Definitely suspension worthy according to rules. But to sue the team or arena? Come on, man up, pansy.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
This guy's a *****. He might have a point and, legally, a case, but it's really just a waste of time and assets for everyone but this doucher.
That's the other thing that annoys me. I hope at least the Wild come up with a settlement outside the court. This should never go to court, it's a waste of time.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:13 AM
MrHockey1982

The definition of assault is pretty vague. If you look up the technical version of assault, Rypien did assault this guy. As lame as it is, and as much as the fan is a wimp he actually has a case. I'm sure all he will want is a settlement. You must ask yourself, if you had the opportunity to make a boatload of cash at the risk of being called a pansy, would you do it?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I would without a doubt milk that cash cow for all its worth.
Ding, ding, ding. The winner.

Guy is on camera clapping at a player being ejected, than gets assaulted by the player?

Sue him for $2M, settle for $500K in emotional stress.

"Hockey was my life, now I can't watch without remembering the horror of his attack.."

Cha-ching.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
The definition of assault is pretty vague. If you look up the technical version of assault, Rypien did assault this guy. As lame as it is, and as much as the fan is a wimp he actually has a case. I'm sure all he will want is a settlement. You must ask yourself, if you had the opportunity to make a boatload of cash at the risk of being called a pansy, would you do it?
No. It'd be a waste of everyone's time, and I'd be totally happy with having an awesome story. I also probably would've been doing some real heckling, not what this guy apparently did.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
No. It'd be a waste of everyone's time, and I'd be totally happy with having an awesome story. I also probably would've been doing some real heckling, not what this guy apparently did.

So essentially, you would pass up the opportunity to make let's say, 500k because you want to look like a tough guy. Is that correct?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
No way would I press charges. What a ****ing *****.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
This would actually probably fall under battery, not assault since he actually touched the guy.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Hell, assault and battery.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Any judge in the right frame of mind would look at the video, look at the kid and put him in jail for 24hrs for wasting court time. Be a man. And to the last bit, no, if I asked for it I should be able to take it.

Guess it depends on most peoples ethics/morals as to how far they would go to make a quick buck. The question you have to ask is did any personal injury occur in this case? From the looks of things he got what he asked for, to interact with the player exiting the ice if he did not expect what he got than maybe he is more stupid than he looks. But it was nothing more than a shirt tug.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:16 AM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

I mean...he wasn't beaten with his own shoe or anything...

LOL @ this video! absolutely AWESOME!!@! i think i spotted all 3 hansen bros LOL. thanks for the post

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This would actually probably fall under battery, not assault since he actually touched the guy.
Did the victim instigate the assault with his own? Did his teammates hear the individual call him a name or instigate the actions? Goodness gracious, no wonder society is such a disgrace, no accountability. As far as battery, he grabbed the kids shirt. If he pulled the kid down off the stands and pummelled him, ok, but for this I hope the kid left the arena with ***** in his pants.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No way would I press charges. What a ****ing *****.
I can't imagine I would press charges either, but I guess it would depend on how the league deals with Rypien and how the team deals with me. If Rypien were to get a slap on the wrist (although I think it'll be significantly more than that), I might be inclined to make it a bigger deal.

Regardless of what was said by the fan, the fact is that a pro athlete initiated physical contact with a fan. That should never happen, and it's an ******* move by the player.

If this fan had heckled him across a restaurant when the player was out with his family, I think it would be looked at very differently. As a pro athlete, he needs to smarten up.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote