HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Habbadasher

vCash: 500
Add this: http://autos.sympatico.ca/winter-dri...ters-under-10k

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
my m3 is really hoped up with a S54 euro spec m3 engine full bilstein suspension, brembo brake upgrade, so it doesnt count. In my hand i hold bmw package pricing for common repairs at the dealer mind you, front and rear brakes on my 328is $725 pads/rotors brake sensors and labor incl., shocks all around $360, ball joints $110 parts/labor per side, tie rods $145 parts/labor per side, water pump $275, radiator $650 parts/labor, i worked at a nissan dealer back in the day selling brake jos at $1000 -$1200 for all around brake jobs, rads for $1000, only M series BMW are expensive to maintain, but i have a buddy who does my work so its even cheaper for me.
And your 328IS? It's probably less expensive to repair than the M series. I think of maybe buying a 1998 328IS.

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 08:08 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
All 2011

Ford Mustang or Chevrolet Camaro or Dodge Challenger ?

I love them all, it is hard to choose
Imo I would go with:

Challenger
then
Mustang
then
Camaro

I'll tell you why, the performance is very very minute in difference from model to model (talking highest end SS2, SRT8, GT500 etc)

However the appearance isn't.

I think the Challenger is really sexy, I think the GT500 is pretty sexy too, the Camaro to be honest I find the body very overrated, was never really that big a fan of Camaros in the first place but man does the new one ever look stupid by comparison to the other two cars you mentioned.

I know it's all opinion and some people probably feel the exact opposite about it. I just find the new Camaro aside from the obvious performance factor is ugly.

As per the OP, maybe you can find a WRX used for cheap. Obviously an STi would be a waste of money for a beater but the regular WRX or 2.5 RS is actually a very good car as well and they're boxy

Quote:
i went to Toronto for both my cars bought privately., There in better condition with less salt on their roads and better prices, since i bought my 99 M3 and my winter 328is ive had 3 good friends by E36 bmw models. There fast, dont bring attention like a civic, handling/braking above average, cheap to maintain, a little hard on gas in the city, i drive like a loon though, great gas mileage on the highway.
Your kidding right? There's only one thing cops hate more than a young guy driving a civic. A young guy driving his dads beamer, audi, infinity, benz, lexus or beyond. They attract attention like crazy, especially the newer ones that are a lot more sporty by nature.

And frankly if you're going to drive fast you'll attract attention anyways. It's how you drive that will truly determine the attention you attract. Cops don't just sit there all day and they're like "there's another civic, tail it". They sit in a sneaky spot where they know a lot of people speed and they just tag them one after another. Yeah if they see you're some young punk speeding in a beamer versus some old man same thing and they have to choose who to pull over, no doubt it will be you. But I've even seen 1 cop pull over multiple vehicles before.

Plus fyi the M3 attracts more attention than your typical non-Si civic would. First of all it looks more sporty, second of all it has more power, third of all 90% of the time its some kid whose daddy bought him one where as civic is the most popular car in Canada, probably very popular in the US as well. You see them everywhere, my parking lot at work has about 6-12 civics in it on any given day and it only holds about 40-50 cars tops. Do I see an M3? Almost never, and when I do see one right away I know the guys a speed junky or else he wouldn't own one.

You've gotta be kidding yourself if you think an M3 or even any sporty looking beam attracts less attention than a civic, at the very least equal. I doubt cops care about 90% of the people driving their civic cx with 120hp versus your M3 that's a 300hp coupe known to be a solid 300hp to boot.

Quote:
my m3 is really hoped up with a S54 euro spec m3 engine full bilstein suspension, brembo brake upgrade, so it doesnt count. In my hand i hold bmw package pricing for common repairs at the dealer mind you, front and rear brakes on my 328is $725 pads/rotors brake sensors and labor incl., shocks all around $360, ball joints $110 parts/labor per side, tie rods $145 parts/labor per side, water pump $275, radiator $650 parts/labor, i worked at a nissan dealer back in the day selling brake jos at $1000 -$1200 for all around brake jobs, rads for $1000, only M series BMW are expensive to maintain, but i have a buddy who does my work so its even cheaper for me.
Lucky Yeah if you buy a German car and are expecting the repairs/etc to cost similar to say.. a Honda, that expectation is just a tad bit high.

Pretty sure you knew what you were getting into though, you seem to be an avid beamer fan. I've always been a fan of the M3 and M5 but rarely any of their other cars. Lately though I've started to like pretty much all their cars, I just would never buy German cause of the repairs, really pricey.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
All 2011

Ford Mustang or Chevrolet Camaro or Dodge Challenger ?

I love them all, it is hard to choose
Mustang
Challenger
Camaro

The Challenger is the sexiest of the bunch. Give it Ford technology and you have a dream car. The new Pentastar V6 is coming for the 2011 model with rumored 300HP. No manual transmission still.

PS: **** GM

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Dashboard

I just sold my Jetta last week.

Before buying used, get the VIN and check on Carfax for reports and also, RDPRM to see if the car is fully paid of if the owner owe money for it.

I made the switch to Subaru myself and loving it so far

Dashboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:37 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
So I am looking to purchase a 2nd car for myself, to be used in winter most of the time. I'm looking at used subaru's , since they're AWD .. I have a series of questions in my typical unorganized way. Whatever feedback / answers you can provide helps me greatly.

My budget is ~ 5 or 6k but could go up to 8 -10 k if I get really sold on a car. and I don't care about "flashy" style , this is the car I want to drive in the winter, beat up , scratch up and have fun with no worries . I like a boxy looking cars that looks worked in AWD almost a must.

That said, I'm looking at some older AWD Subaru Foresters (I know, not sexy, but AWD and reliable). 1998 - 2003 range. Any opinions on this make? is it Reliable???

I'm also looking at older boxy looking Volvos .. though I'm concerned about cost of repairs ... ?????

I notice on Kijiji some of the dealers have " certified mileage ".

How can an owner / dealer certify mileage? Is it basically looking at the servicing papers and verifying with the dealer? Should I be worried about " fake paperwork"? (ie: guy pays someone at the dealer to produce paperwork for servicing with low mileage -- and then owner gets KM rolled back for him).

My biggest worry -- is buying a car that was rolled back or accidented.

It's been a very long time since I bought a used car but I recall you can check the serial number on the dash to see if it's been into any accidents. I did this once a long time ago -- I don't remember if I ran a serial check with the honda dealer or the SAAQ ... and supposedly now you can do it online??? please

Any help is appreciated!

ps: H10H or other Mod, can you plz make an Auto sticky??? I'm afraid nobody will see my post in here!
for 5-6k, you can have a pretty decent 2002-2004 Impreza
or 2000-2002 Forester/Outback/Legacy

If you're looking for a winter car, don't even think about buying something else. They are a thrill to drive and are the safest thing on the road come winter time. Their AWD is just perfect and the fact that they are low profile make you feel like it's summer all winter long. (I've drive a cheerokee, 2 x four runners, a grand cherokee and a libery in winter time... only the Four runner 1996 manual gearbox was close to the same fun / winter safety)
to say the truth, I barely slow down from summer to winter (however, I don't drive like a crazy mofo, even in summer... 120max on the highway, etc.)

if you buy a subby, buy it manual, nothing else. fun fun fun.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Mustang
Challenger
Camaro

The Challenger is the sexiest of the bunch. Give it Ford technology and you have a dream car. The new Pentastar V6 is coming for the 2011 model with rumored 300HP. No manual transmission still.

PS: **** GM
My stock 2010 WRX is just as fast (in some cases faster, 0-60 in 4.7, 1/4 mile in 13.5), handles better, is cheaper, more reliable AND I can drive it in the winter. The AWD system is incredible, arguably the best on the market, and the car is just plain fun to drive.

Subaru makes incredible vehicles and there are tons still on the road from the 90's. You just can't beat them in my opinion.

PS - **** domestics

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
My stock 2010 WRX is just as fast (in some cases faster, 0-60 in 4.7, 1/4 mile in 13.5), handles better, is cheaper, more reliable AND I can drive it in the winter. The AWD system is incredible, arguably the best on the market, and the car is just plain fun to drive.

Subaru makes incredible vehicles and there are tons still on the road from the 90's. You just can't beat them in my opinion.

PS - **** domestics
+1, I'm loving my 2010 WRX

All-season/weather Beast

Dashboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Just a heads up so that everyone understands. This thread is dedicated to questions and discussions regarding cars, trucks, snowmobiles, atv's, in short motorized vehicles.

HF Boards does not allow you to list your vehicle for sale here.

Posting or private messaging to sell, buy, or trade products or services, links to auctions, affiliate links, links to promote personal or commercial websites, blogs, other forums and so forth is not allowed anywhere without explicit permission.

Carry on!

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

I made the switch to Subaru myself and loving it so far
which model did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post

if you buy a subby, buy it manual, nothing else. fun fun fun.
My other car right now is manual, I've mostly owned manuals ... and one of the great things about driving a manual is that you're GF won't be able to drive the car... So it's kinda like an anti-gf feature if you will I tried to teach her a few times she just can't figure it out and fears the idea of trying again...........

WITH all that said, I'm thinking of being a nice guy and getting an automatic -- and truthfully, after driving manual for so long it would be nice to just sit back pop it in to drive.

Is it stupid to get an automatic Subaru???

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-21-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Removed 1st quoted post and response.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:18 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Just a heads up so that everyone understands. This thread is dedicated to questions and discussions regarding cars, trucks, snowmobiles, atv's, in short motorized vehicles.

Posting or private messaging to sell, buy, or trade products or services, links to auctions, affiliate links, links to promote personal or commercial websites, blogs, other forums and so forth is not allowed anywhere without explicit permission.

Carry on!
If I paste a link to a car that I'm interested in and the website is a used car dealer, is that against the rules? What if the link is not a car dealer but someone who is selling their car privately?

Old
10-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Habs83

Quote:
Thanks bud, though I'm not sure about wagons ... ugh, are they ugly! The outback at least seems to have a bit more "toughness" look to it; though I could be wrong.... I'll have to test drive a wagon and see how I feel in it, maybe I'll change my mind.

which model did you get?

My other car right now is manual, I've mostly owned manuals ... and one of the great things about driving a manual is that you're GF won't be able to drive the car... So it's kinda like an anti-gf feature if you will I tried to teach her a few times she just can't figure it out and fears the idea of trying again...........

WITH all that said, I'm thinking of being a nice guy and getting an automatic -- and truthfully, after driving manual for so long it would be nice to just sit back pop it in to drive.

Is it stupid to get an automatic Subaru???
I have an automatic 98 imprezza. Quite frankly the only reason i have an automatic is because i hate driving stick in a traffic jam....

That said, i'm going to buy something bigger soon though, can't stand driving a small car.

Habs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If I paste a link to a car that I'm interested in and the website is a used car dealer, is that against the rules? What if the link is not a car dealer but someone who is selling their car privately?
That's kind of a grey area. I think it would be better if you provided the make of car, mileage *if used*, price and list the other features instead of providing a direct link to where the car is being sold.

What we can allow would be something like this:

I'd like some opinions on the following:

2011 Dodge Viper
http://www.dodge.ca/en/viper/index.h...FQ915QodNHjtMQ

2011 Infiniti QX56

http://www.infiniti.ca/en/m/index.html

As for links to private sales, that is a definite no.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
It's official, looking for a used car is a major pain in the ass

Spent 4 hours today wasting my time in traffic to see only lemons ... one guy was complete sketch who owned the car for a month, prbly bought it pretty cheap, rolled back miles and is trying to flip it... It was a 98 Forester ... didn't like it.. perhaps the newer generations is the way to go.

Maybe the way to do it is to spend a bit more and get it at a well known car dealer.
Yeah i know where you're coming from...

I bought my used car @ a Nissan Dealership... it was a Leased Car, and only had 50K km for a 2005... the price were close to what i saw from owners, although you pay both taxes. Usually with a brand leadership you have a 30 days warranty on the engine and transmission and they made a full checkup on the car for free (they put a new battery, changed a tire cap, changed 2 spark plugs and washed it, all that for free).

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Carry on!
So i wont be able to sell my Lada then..?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:17 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
dude I PM'd you an offer , why don't you get back to me

edit; Ahhh shiiatt, I just got an infraction for that PM

Old
10-21-2010, 11:20 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
Yeah i know where you're coming from...

I bought my used car @ a Nissan Dealership... it was a Leased Car, and only had 50K km for a 2005... the price were close to what i saw from owners, although you pay both taxes. Usually with a brand leadership you have a 30 days warranty on the engine and transmission and they made a full checkup on the car for free (they put a new battery, changed a tire cap, changed 2 spark plugs and washed it, all that for free).
Did you find it online then visit the dealer?

So many freakin dealers out there!

I also heard that if a honda dealer gets a trade-in , lets say a Mazda, they'll try to get rid of it at a good price since of course, they don't want to carry Mazda's for very long.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
dude I PM'd you an offer , why don't you get back to me
edit; Ahhh shiiatt, I just got an infraction for that PM
I did answer you in the thread tho, sorry: never got a PM!

Ok, so i wont try to sell my car then... bummer!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
For you IP, I'll make an exception.

Old
10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Imo I would go with:

Challenger
then
Mustang
then
Camaro

I'll tell you why, the performance is very very minute in difference from model to model (talking highest end SS2, SRT8, GT500 etc)

However the appearance isn't.

I think the Challenger is really sexy, I think the GT500 is pretty sexy too, the Camaro to be honest I find the body very overrated, was never really that big a fan of Camaros in the first place but man does the new one ever look stupid by comparison to the other two cars you mentioned.

I know it's all opinion and some people probably feel the exact opposite about it. I just find the new Camaro aside from the obvious performance factor is ugly.

As per the OP, maybe you can find a WRX used for cheap. Obviously an STi would be a waste of money for a beater but the regular WRX or 2.5 RS is actually a very good car as well and they're boxy

Your kidding right? There's only one thing cops hate more than a young guy driving a civic. A young guy driving his dads beamer, audi, infinity, benz, lexus or beyond. They attract attention like crazy, especially the newer ones that are a lot more sporty by nature.

And frankly if you're going to drive fast you'll attract attention anyways. It's how you drive that will truly determine the attention you attract. Cops don't just sit there all day and they're like "there's another civic, tail it". They sit in a sneaky spot where they know a lot of people speed and they just tag them one after another. Yeah if they see you're some young punk speeding in a beamer versus some old man same thing and they have to choose who to pull over, no doubt it will be you. But I've even seen 1 cop pull over multiple vehicles before.

Plus fyi the M3 attracts more attention than your typical non-Si civic would. First of all it looks more sporty, second of all it has more power, third of all 90% of the time its some kid whose daddy bought him one where as civic is the most popular car in Canada, probably very popular in the US as well. You see them everywhere, my parking lot at work has about 6-12 civics in it on any given day and it only holds about 40-50 cars tops. Do I see an M3? Almost never, and when I do see one right away I know the guys a speed junky or else he wouldn't own one.

You've gotta be kidding yourself if you think an M3 or even any sporty looking beam attracts less attention than a civic, at the very least equal. I doubt cops care about 90% of the people driving their civic cx with 120hp versus your M3 that's a 300hp coupe known to be a solid 300hp to boot.

Lucky Yeah if you buy a German car and are expecting the repairs/etc to cost similar to say.. a Honda, that expectation is just a tad bit high.

Pretty sure you knew what you were getting into though, you seem to be an avid beamer fan. I've always been a fan of the M3 and M5 but rarely any of their other cars. Lately though I've started to like pretty much all their cars, I just would never buy German cause of the repairs, really pricey.
no not kidding when i had my CRX in the pic, i would get pulled over almost on a weekly basis, if it wasnt for exhaust noise, if was to check emission, or tinted windows, it was always something different, ive got almost twice the power in my M and have yet to be pulled over once, i make jokes now with my buddies who still have there Honda's, cops dont pull over BMW drivers. A stock E36 M3 is a very cheap sports car to own, the E46 M3 on the other hand can be very expensive to up keep.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Did you find it online then visit the dealer?

So many freakin dealers out there!

I also heard that if a honda dealer gets a trade-in , lets say a Mazda, they'll try to get rid of it at a good price since of course, they don't want to carry Mazda's for very long.
i didn't find it online, i visited the dealership's parking during the weekend while it was closed and went to try it on the next monday and then bought it...

they do advertise their used car on their website

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:49 AM
sampollock

honda, and don't look back

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
mt_mtl

Quote:
PS - **** domestics
PS. Subaru's sold in Canada/USA are made in the USA....

Just an FYI

mt_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:

PS - **** domestics
I drive a Mazda3 GS 2010 I bought in Apr 09. In 2013, I will change for a Subaru 2.5i Sport 5dr or a Mustang V6. I don't want to buy a car with super gas.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:56 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
honda, and don't look back
got one now already.. great cars, so reliable. However I want AWD, and a sedan or SUV with a boxy styling. Honda CRV could be an option but I'm just not into the styling (too girly), especially the older models in my budget.